fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Please comment on my progress

Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some input with regards to my 6 week weight lifting progression progress. I'm not looking for a bunch of "atta girls", but I truly don't know if how I've progressed is typical or weak as hell and I should be pushing harder or doing something differently, KWIM?

So I've been following New Rules of lifting for Women and I'm now at the end of stage 1. Tonight will be my last workout B for AMRAP of my starting weights. I won't go through every exercise, just a few. Any input from those more experienced than myself would be greatly appreciated.

Back squats : started just the bar (literally never touched a barbell before) but moved right up to 75 pounds for 15 reps x 2 my second workout because I knew I could do more. My final workout was 120 pounds 8 reps for 3 sets.

Deadlifts (traditional): started at 75 pounds x15 for 2 sets and my final workout was 115 pounds 8 reps 3 sets.

Wide grip lat pull downs: started at 40 pounds 15x3 and progressed to 80 pounds 8x3.

My dumbbell exercises all progressed from 15 to 30 pounds with the exception of shoulder presses that I ended at 25 pounds 8x3. My grip strength is apparently really weak and it's been a rate limiting factor for both dumbbells and deadlifts. For my lunges I ended up changing from stationary with dumbbells to fixed barbell walking lunges for that reason. I didn't want my legs and glutes to suffer because of my weak hands I went from 30 pounds and ended at 60 pounds x 10 steps for 3 sets. i could've handled more weight, but wouldnt be able to safely get the fixed bar up and off myself (i workout alone). Since realizing my grip strength was poor, I have started to hold 2 5 pound plates in each hand between sets or if I'm waiting for a machine. I read on here that will help.

For push ups I went from doing 15 at a 40 degree angle to now I can go chest to floor 8 reps 3 sets.

Thanks for reading and any input is greatly appreciated. And please tell me if its not good 6 week progress. I can take it

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    For only 6 weeks all looks tremendous. A lot of neural adaption occurs during that time so now you should really start to see some strength gains.

For reference sakes...I DB shoulder pressed 25# for the longest time after getting back into lifting around 2008. It's a smaller muscle so adding just a few pounds to that lift will be significant. I'm only up to about 40#s now a few years later.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are the exercises at the weight and rep ranges you're doing difficult to perform (as in, you're fighting for those last couple reps) but not so difficult you fear injury? Are you progressing as the program advises?

If so, than your progression is typical and just fine.

fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitmomoftwo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by megdaig View Post
    For only 6 weeks all looks tremendous. A lot of neural adaption occurs during that time so now you should really start to see some strength gains.

For reference sakes...I DB shoulder pressed 25# for the longest time after getting back into lifting around 2008. It's a smaller muscle so adding just a few pounds to that lift will be significant. I'm only up to about 40#s now a few years later.
    Thank you and thanks for the reference! I suppose I haven't thought about this in terms of how big each individual muscle is. Great point. Thanks!

Originally Posted by illiniStrive View Post
    Are the exercises at the weight and rep ranges you're doing difficult to perform (as in, you're fighting for those last couple reps) but not so difficult you fear injury? Are you progressing as the program advises?

If so, than your progression is typical and just fine.
    Well, I'm not going to "failure" as they say, but NROLFW says I shouldn't necessarily do that. I think I do get a little scared with squats, but if I try to take fear out of the equation, I can probably go a little heavier or for another rep or two. But I'm a pretty big stickler for following instructions, so since my program says 8 reps, that's where I stop. For deadlifts my hands give out so I don't think I'm phoning it in there.

I do follow the program pretty much to the T with the exception of adding the plate holds for grip strength, modifying the lunges because of the piss poor grip strength and I've also been using the calf machine at the end. He advises to increase weight every exercise every workout. And I have been trying to do that, except with DBs

Thanks for your input!

ZJmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started the same program a couple of weeks ago. It sounds like you are progressing nicely. I hope to see similar results. Are you following the recipes in the book?

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Looks good but how are you squatting more than dead lifting? That doesn't seem right. Either you've got some major imbalances going on or you're not squatting with good form/depth

fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000)
    That's amazing for 6 weeks! It took me a couple of months to get to a 120 lb. squat, and I'm still only able to OHP 8-10 reps with 20 lbs. after a whole year.

I also have the same issue as you with grip strength. That's why I, too, have switched from using dumbbells to a barbell when doing lunges.
    Make Fihe Not Fat Again.

Originally Posted by Cara0915 View Post
    Looks good but how are you squatting more than dead lifting? That doesn't seem right. Either you've got some major imbalances going on or you're not squatting with good form/depth
    Yeah, it's the overhand grip that's limiting my DL weight. My legs could handle more, my hands not so much. But I'm working on it . My squat form is good to parallel. I haven't gone below parallel at the higher weights. I've actually had either a form check by the trainers at my gym or had my hubs video me and check myself for about every other weight increase.

fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by fitmomoftwo77 View Post
    Yeah, it's the overhand grip that's limiting my DL weight. My legs could handle more, my hands not so much. But I'm working on it . My squat form is good to parallel. I haven't gone below parallel at the higher weights. I've actually had either a form check by the trainers at my gym or had my hubs video me and check myself for about every other weight increase.
    Try an over-under grip. That has helped me a lot with my deadlifts. So has using liquid chalk!
    Make Fihe Not Fat Again.

Originally Posted by fihe View Post
    Try an over-under grip. That has helped me a lot with my deadlifts. So has using liquid chalk!
    I'm assuming this means one hand over and one hand under? See, I never thought of that.... Wealth of knowledge around here! Thanks!

Kattfish29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

baby belly

Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some input with regards to my 6 week weight lifting progression progress. I'm not looking for a bunch of "atta girls", but I truly don't know if how I've progressed is typical or weak as hell and I should be pushing harder or doing something differently, KWIM?

So I've been following New Rules of lifting for Women and I'm now at the end of stage 1. Tonight will be my last workout B for AMRAP of my starting weights. I won't go through every exercise, just a few. Any input from those more experienced than myself would be greatly appreciated.

Back squats : started just the bar (literally never touched a barbell before) but moved right up to 75 pounds for 15 reps x 2 my second workout because I knew I could do more. My final workout was 120 pounds 8 reps for 3 sets.

Deadlifts (traditional): started at 75 pounds x15 for 2 sets and my final workout was 115 pounds 8 reps 3 sets.

Wide grip lat pull downs: started at 40 pounds 15x3 and progressed to 80 pounds 8x3.

My dumbbell exercises all progressed from 15 to 30 pounds with the exception of shoulder presses that I ended at 25 pounds 8x3. My grip strength is apparently really weak and it's been a rate limiting factor for both dumbbells and deadlifts. For my lunges I ended up changing from stationary with dumbbells to fixed barbell walking lunges for that reason. I didn't want my legs and glutes to suffer because of my weak hands I went from 30 pounds and ended at 60 pounds x 10 steps for 3 sets. i could've handled more weight, but wouldnt be able to safely get the fixed bar up and off myself (i workout alone). Since realizing my grip strength was poor, I have started to hold 2 5 pound plates in each hand between sets or if I'm waiting for a machine. I read on here that will help.

For push ups I went from doing 15 at a 40 degree angle to now I can go chest to floor 8 reps 3 sets.

Thanks for reading and any input is greatly appreciated. And please tell me if its not good 6 week progress. I can take it

Hey! I had a baby a year ago and most of the weight is gone except for a little skin (lets be honest)... any tips on tightening that or does it just take more time?

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm assuming this means one hand over and one hand under? See, I never thought of that.... Wealth of knowledge around here! Thanks!

Aka: "mixed grip"

OP that is great progress.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Results look pretty good to me. If I were your trainer I'd be pretty happy with how far you've come in 6 weeks.

Since grip strength is a limiting factor, I'd consider adding in stuff like farmer's walks at the end of each session, as well as the other suggestions to modify your grip technique.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This and Versa Grips

Idk what your goals are but you need to be squatting ass to grass if you want it to "count" (meaning engaging glutes fully)

camopaint0707 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) camopaint0707 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) camopaint0707 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) camopaint0707 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) camopaint0707 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    very good

This and Versa Grips

Idk what your goals are but you need to be squatting ass to grass if you want it to "count" (meaning engaging glutes fully)
    I don't really know what my goals are either I'm just immersing myself right now and seeing where the journey leads me. However, speaking of squat depth, I had a few trainers form check me and we discussed this. They were all of the feeling that ATG wasn't completely crucial and it probably isn't safe for me to attempt at higher weights at the free rack. My body proportions are really weird and I'm alllll upper body with short legs in comparison. We pulled another trainer over one day who was 5'2 and I'm 5'7 - our hips were level to one another. They were going on about the distance of the barbell to fulcrum, which I think meant hips? And somehow that makes the pitch of something or another so that ATG would likely lead to injury. They said lower weights aren't as concerning, or at the smith machine where you have some support. Anyway, once I'm done my NROLFW, I may incorporate deeper squats at the smith. For now, I'm ok with parallel.

Is the over under grip like "cheating?" I tried it tonight and sweet Jesus I dead lifted 140 8x3 and probably could've gone higher. And that was after doing a couple sets at 115 that were so much easier! I was able to really focus on my legs and not "don't drop it don't drop it don't drop it!" Hahaha! I'm going to continue to work my grip strength but I don't want to up my weights using this new grip if it's just like the easy way you know? But if that's just another alternative that's equally as effective, I'm all in! I guess maybe it's like the ATG vs parallel debate?

I do both parallel and ATG squats. and I think I should start doing farmer's walks :P You should too OP.
    Make Fihe Not Fat Again.

I don't really know what my goals are either I'm just immersing myself right now and seeing where the journey leads me. However, speaking of squat depth, I had a few trainers form check me and we discussed this. They were all of the feeling that ATG wasn't completely crucial and it probably isn't safe for me to attempt at higher weights at the free rack. My body proportions are really weird and I'm alllll upper body with short legs in comparison. We pulled another trainer over one day who was 5'2 and I'm 5'7 - our hips were level to one another. They were going on about the distance of the barbell to fulcrum, which I think meant hips? And somehow that makes the pitch of something or another so that ATG would likely lead to injury. They said lower weights aren't as concerning, or at the smith machine where you have some support. Anyway, once I'm done my NROLFW, I may incorporate deeper squats at the smith. For now, I'm ok with parallel.

Is the over under grip like "cheating?" I tried it tonight and sweet Jesus I dead lifted 140 8x3 and probably could've gone higher. And that was after doing a couple sets at 115 that were so much easier! I was able to really focus on my legs and not "don't drop it don't drop it don't drop it!" Hahaha! I'm going to continue to work my grip strength but I don't want to up my weights using this new grip if it's just like the easy way you know? But if that's just another alternative that's equally as effective, I'm all in! I guess maybe it's like the ATG vs parallel debate?
    A2G isn't necessary but if you want your squats to build you a booty, ya, it is a must. IMO, you should learn how to squat that way first then worry about parallel or +\- either way.

I do both parallel and ATG squats. and I think I should start doing farmer's walks :P You should too OP.
    I will add these tomorrow along with my plate holds!!

A2G isn't necessary but if you want your squats to build you a booty, ya, it is a must. IMO, you should learn how to squat that way first then worry about parallel or +\- either way.
    Sorry, I should have clarified. The "not crucial and may lead to injury so don't worry about going that deep" is because my booty is pretty well developed with just the body weight stuff I was doing before lifting and now the lifting heavier weights is really rounding and lifting quite nicely. The upside of being genetically bottom heavy with short stubby legs . Don't get me wrong, it's not completely instagrammable, mostly cuz I'm not that girl, but it ain't bad for an old lady .

Wait, I'm confused. If ATG squats build a booty, then what do parallel squats build?
    Make Fihe Not Fat Again.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Wait, I'm confused. If ATG squats build a booty, then what do parallel squats build?
    I think squats at or above parallel target mainly the quads.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."