D1athletics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D1athletics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D1athletics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D1athletics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D1athletics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D1athletics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D1athletics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D1athletics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D1athletics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D1athletics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) D1athletics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cartilage Damage

I play college football and was recently told I need a microfracture surgery to repair my knee that has some damaged arthritic cartilage. I do not want to get surgery because I have not heard good things and it does not hurt, just is bothersome.

I have heard of Vitamin Shoppe: Ultimate Gold Fast Acting Joint Care.

Anyone know anything about this or anything else that will help my situation without completely screwing my health?

Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by D1athletics View Post
    I play college football and was recently told I need a microfracture surgery to repair my knee that has some damaged arthritic cartilage. I do not want to get surgery because I have not heard good things and it does not hurt, just is bothersome.

I have heard of Vitamin Shoppe: Ultimate Gold Fast Acting Joint Care.

Anyone know anything about this or anything else that will help my situation without completely screwing my health?
    I had constant knee pain between 1994 and 2013, normaly just a weak tone of pain barely noticable in the noise of daily living, but always there in quiet moments. And more severe pain when training in cold weather.

Some freinds recomended getting an opperation and I did get a MRI scan (got the CD still) and an oppinion. The diagnose was something like micro cracks in cartilage, but the suggested cure was taking glycosamin. I got a big jar of those bastards and ate a few. I also googled glycosamin and found out that the tablets have no proven effect above placebo. Well they do cause a bit of insulin resistance, but that is beside the point. I stoped taking those off course.

At some point last year I noticed that my knee pain was gone. I put it down to less inflamation after cutting carbs and getting on keto for a while. It might also be significant that I started making bone broth as part of my diet.

I dont know how usefull that is, but for what it is worth.....
    Eddie Izzard for Mayor!!!!

FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The above post is correct. After many years of study, the American Society of Orthopedic Surgery concluded that there is no evidence that glucosamine or chondroitin make any difference for patients, and they discourage anyone from taking them.

I would strongly urge you to avoid surgery for this issue which does not cause significant pain or limitations. Cartilage does not really heal or grow, even from surgery, so an operation should be only to take care of major pain or restriction in activity.

luke997 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by FltDoc06 View Post
    I would strongly urge you to avoid surgery for this issue which does not cause significant pain or limitations.
    +1

Originally Posted by FltDoc06 View Post
    Cartilage does not really heal or grow, even from surgery, so an operation should be only to take care of major pain or restriction in activity.
    False.
    Recent studies proved that cartilage can heal and even grow where it has been completely worn.

Have a look here:

intechopen.com/books/osteoarthritis-diagnosis-treatment-and-surgery/knee-health-promotion-option-for-osteoarthritic-knee-cartilage-regeneration-is-possible

(Please add the usual at the front of link - as I can't post yet)

Key is the appropriate rehabilitation, see page 22 for the suitable/harmful exercises which promote/discourage regeneration.

Another study here:

archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=410037

I have had a major damage year ago to the patella/tibia/fibula cartilage (trauma), for a few months I couldn't get rid of pain. Cissus, glucosamine etc. did nothing.

Once I stopped doing harmful exercises however (as above) - squatting, walking stairs 2 steps at a time, cycling - but kept on running (~100km/week, including 30-42km long runs/marathons during weekends - at ~ 4min/km pace)

Fast forward 6 months later, 90% of pain gone, I'm fairly sure in another couple months cartilage will be fully healed.