Closed Thread
Page 2 of 278 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    wtfdic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SeanM4 View Post
    Can someone please tell me if this modified AllPro beginner routine will still be effective? The changes are designed to keep some pressure off my lower back (herniated lumbar disk).

Front Squats
    Bench Presses
    Chest-supported Dumbbell Rows
    Sitting Dumbbell Overhead Presses
    Stiff-legged deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

Sorry if this is a stupid question!
    Sounds like it should work fine for you with your back issues. After rehabbing the back I would slowly start migrating over to the way the program is written so that you can start to build some core strength and help your back that way.

k1ngoftheranch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Knee pain...did something friday either squats or locked knee during sldl....some pain when i bend it fully...lock it and flex quads and feels tight when i go full squat...any ideas?...did lower yesterday feel it again today...friday is next lower day??

Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ironlionzion3 View Post
    Hey thanks man, that's what I'll do, from 110 lbs down to 95. That's medium day, so I'm still shooting for 100+ when I'm fully recovered. PRs baby. BTW tire flips are tha shizznit, doing just one is a long-term goal for me
    Your welcome.

And to be clear on the tire, it is not one of the truly large ones. I had the option and still do of getting whatever size I wanted from a big contractor I know. My ego was big when I got around the tires and he pulled out one of the really big ones and I tried to flip it . Found the one I brought home and it is perfect. Now to work my way up to a big one.

Now if my wife would only let me bring it into the house to flip as we still have 2+feet of snow in the yard. Spring can not get here soon enough.
    Last edited by Mainer215; 03-26-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    View my progress at http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154724503

Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit." - George Sheehan

Low aim is the biggest crime a man can commit. -- Bruce Lee

"Why do I lift? I have many things left that I want to do in my life and I cannot think of a single one that I can do from a scooter" - me

Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SeanM4 View Post
    Can someone please tell me if this modified AllPro beginner routine will still be effective? The changes are designed to keep some pressure off my lower back (herniated lumbar disk).

Front Squats
    Bench Presses
    Chest-supported Dumbbell Rows
    Sitting Dumbbell Overhead Presses
    Stiff-legged deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

Sorry if this is a stupid question!
    No question is stupid. Well some are but this one is not.

While this should be ok for your situation please have a medical professional or physical therapist give you the OK for these substitutions. I am not a medical professional and we have no way of knowing the extent of your injury.

JMHO

Good luck.

Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit." - George Sheehan

"Why do I lift? I have many things left that I want to do in my life and I cannot think of a single one that I can do from a scooter" - me

Zealex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    Don't confuse soreness for correct form. Read a few posts back and you'll see the soreness question asked and answered a few times. Also don't worry about what the actual weight is you're lifting, if it's based on your 10 rep max then it's correct and I will increase with time.

Seems to me you're doing fine but over worrying things that you don't need to. Stick to the plan and just ensure your form is spot on.

When I started the routine I was sore for a bit, but only as it was my first ever lifting so body was getting used to what I was making it so, now 9 weeks in I don't get sore after a workout but know I'm putting in 100% to every exercise with decent form (maybe save for OHP) and enjoy the fact I'm not sore after :-)
    Originally Posted by Mainer215
    I would continue on with cycle 1 as started and if you fly through test day on your bench with no issues then maybe bump it up by 15 % instead of 10%. It is really deceiving for the most part on day 1 of cycle 1 as we get numerous questions asking if they can go heavy, heavy, heavy instead of heavy, medium, light. Give it a full cycle and then make your adjustment at the end if you pass.

You are not doing anything wrong and as others above have said, soreness has nothing to do with it.

Good luck.
    Thanks guys! I'm going to continue with my program and once I get to week 5 I'm sure I'll see results. Considering we're on part V, I can't imagine this program wouldn't work.

For bend over rows I know I could lift more but my shoulder hurts a bit when I do (like it's pulled or something..) so this cycle my bent over row's are just lighter than they usually were so next cycle I'll increase probably 15%. This would be the right way of exercising a hurt shoulder?

Also,

When I get to week 6, the beginning of the next cycle. Should I be testing my ten rep max again or just increase the weight by 10-15%? (I can't seem to find that...maybe I'm blind lol). That and shouldn't I randomize the work? If I constantly start with squats then bench..etc in the same order wouldn't my body get use to the work out and be less effective?

Thanks

RobertJoseph17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Zealex View Post
    When I get to week 6, the beginning of the next cycle. Should I be testing my ten rep max again or just increase the weight by 10-15%? (I can't seem to find that...maybe I'm blind lol). That and shouldn't I randomize the work? If I constantly start with squats then bench..etc in the same order wouldn't my body get use to the work out and be less effective?

Thanks
    No need to test again, just raise the weights and you're good to go for the next cycle.

Question:

Last week I did a Heavy - Heavy week, because I missed Wednesday.

This week (C2W2) I did my Heavy day on Monday, and today is Wednesday (duh).

The problem is that next week I'll be in Cancun (wooo!) and I leave Thursday Morning. So if I go this route:
    this week:
    Monday - Heavy (done)
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday (today) - Medium
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - Light
    Saturday - rest
    Sunday - rest

next week

Monday - Heavy
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - Medium
    Thursday - gone
    Friday - gone
    Saturday - gone
    Sunday - gone

Monday - back to Heavy

So, I have that 4 day period of rest and no light day in there. Will I mess up my program by doing that, or...should I do this instead.

Monday - Heavy
    Tues - rest
    today - rest
    Thur - Heavy
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - rest
    Sunday - Heavy

+next week:

Monday - rest
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - Heavy
    Thursday - gone
    Friday - gone
    Saturday - gone
    Sunday - gone

And then back to normal on that next week. That would be 3 weeks in a row of doing Heavy/Heavy weeks, and just wanted to see if that was alright.

Zealex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by RobertJoseph17
    No need to test again, just raise the weights and you're good to go for the next cycle.
    I mean, is there a really bad reason why I shouldn't? Wouldn't that give me a more accurate percentage to raise by than my gut feeling considering for some weights I may feel it necessary to go beyond 10%?

GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Cycle 6 week 1 med day. (revised)

Sqt-185-4x4
    Bench-205-4x4
    BOR-150-8x2(got carried away on first set so did 8x2 instead of the 4x4 been doing)
    ohp-115-8x2
    sldl-180-8x2
    curls-80-8x2 (curls for me are the hardest on this program. By time I get there the arms are pretty darn tired.)
    calf raises-185- 10x1, 8x1
    Shrugs-150-8x2
    lat pull down-120#8x1 (I'm going to have to play around with this one to try to find out the correct weight. 120 seems a bit light so we will bump it up some next week)

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Zealex View Post
    I mean, is there a really bad reason why I shouldn't? Wouldn't that give me a more accurate percentage to raise by than my gut feeling considering for some weights I may feel it necessary to go beyond 10%?
    Raising 15-20% is not uncommon at the beginning of the routine. However once you are working with 150lbs you are not going to be going up 30lbs a month

Blakeness2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakeness2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakeness2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakeness2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakeness2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakeness2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakeness2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakeness2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakeness2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakeness2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blakeness2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm currently on my 6th cycle of this program and recommend it to any beginners. Here's my progress so far:

Height: 5'10.5"
    Weight: 137 -> 153 lbs
    8x2 in lbs:
    Squat:105 -> 195
    Bench: 115 -> 160
    BOR: 110 -> 165
    OHP: 65 -> 80
    SLDL: 105 -> 200
    Barbell Curls: 40 -> 70
    Calf Raises: 180 (barbell) -> 360 (Machine)

TheGUNNER13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGUNNER13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGUNNER13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGUNNER13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGUNNER13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGUNNER13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGUNNER13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGUNNER13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGUNNER13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGUNNER13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheGUNNER13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    currently on cycle 2,week 3
    is this routine good on a keto diet and cutting at 1500cal??
    my height being 5'4'' and weight 130lbs.

previously did IFC 5X5, and could bench 70kgs (154pounds). and before ICS, i used to do All Pro BR, and could bench 121lbs.

last day I failed to complete my 10 rep for bench press at 99 pounds. got only 9 reps on the second set. really fustrated.

diet consists of 60% fat, 5% carb, rest protien.
    some help/advice needed.

ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by TheGUNNER13 View Post
    currently on cycle 2,week 3
    is this routine good on a keto diet and cutting at 1500cal??
    my height being 5'4'' and weight 130lbs.

previously did IFC 5X5, and could bench 70kgs (154pounds). and before ICS, i used to do All Pro BR, and could bench 121lbs.

last day I failed to complete my 10 rep for bench press at 99 pounds. got only 9 reps on the second set. really fustrated.

diet consists of 60% fat, 5% carb, rest protien.
    some help/advice needed.
    your lifts are going down, so carb up before your next workout. just try it

phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Part V Up and stuck, 4 is closed.
    Only a life lived for others, is a life worthwhile.

Jazsi is just really nice. (+1000) Jazsi is just really nice. (+1000) Jazsi is just really nice. (+1000) Jazsi is just really nice. (+1000) Jazsi is just really nice. (+1000) Jazsi is just really nice. (+1000) Jazsi is just really nice. (+1000) Jazsi is just really nice. (+1000) Jazsi is just really nice. (+1000) Jazsi is just really nice. (+1000) Jazsi is just really nice. (+1000)
    Started my 1st cycle this week and definitely diggin' this program for sure. I'd been doing SS for 2 months prior to this and ended up stalling as I'm eating in a calorie deficit (not advised on that program). I did make strength (& muscle) gains in that time, so I was able to start off with higher weights than I would have had I not done SS. Training with lighter weights (in exchange for higher reps) has also allowed me to correct my form on the squat as well, which is always good.

Can't wait to see my progress over the next few weeks/months. Hopefully I'll have a more aesthetic composition for summer (beach time, yo!).

JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JenSTL4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    First female checking in

I'm currently on my 3rd cycle of the program. Have had a few setbacks, but overall I am loving this program. Thought that I would get tired of doing the same lifts all the time, but not the case at all.

Great to see everyone's progress in here!

Cheers
    My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159386641

2018 goals:
    Lift more than I did in 2017, which won't be hard because I haven't lifted much since March 2017
    Build back the muscle I lost while I went through a "I hate lifting" phase
    Love lifting again

tkdhoh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Quick question -

It says in the FAQ that if you miss a medium day (such as I just did) that it is best to just do another heavy day on Friday and then resume the normal routine in the following week.

I am running Mon/Wed/Fri and missed today's workout. Should I do another heavy day on Friday like the FAQ suggests or would I be better served doing my medium day tomorrow (Thursday) and then my light day on Saturday, and then return to my Mon/Wed/Fri schedule the following week.

Originally Posted by tkdhoh View Post
    Quick question -

It says in the FAQ that if you miss a medium day (such as I just did) that it is best to just do another heavy day on Friday and then resume the normal routine in the following week.

I am running Mon/Wed/Fri and missed today's workout. Should I do another heavy day on Friday like the FAQ suggests or would I be better served doing my medium day tomorrow (Thursday) and then my light day on Saturday, and then return to my Mon/Wed/Fri schedule the following week.
    You have to have 2 days of rest before a Heavy day, so I would do the Heavy day. In fact, that's what I did last week.

Originally Posted by RobertJoseph17 View Post
    Question:

Last week I did a Heavy - Heavy week, because I missed Wednesday.

This week (C2W2) I did my Heavy day on Monday, and today is Wednesday (duh).

The problem is that next week I'll be in Cancun (wooo!) and I leave Thursday Morning. So if I go this route:
    this week:
    Monday - Heavy (done)
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday (today) - Medium
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - Light
    Saturday - rest
    Sunday - rest

next week

Monday - Heavy
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - Medium
    Thursday - gone
    Friday - gone
    Saturday - gone
    Sunday - gone

Monday - back to Heavy

So, I have that 4 day period of rest and no light day in there. Will I mess up my program by doing that, or...should I do this instead.

Monday - Heavy
    Tues - rest
    today - rest
    Thur - Heavy
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - rest
    Sunday - Heavy

+next week:

Monday - rest
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - Heavy
    Thursday - gone
    Friday - gone
    Saturday - gone
    Sunday - gone

And then back to normal on that next week. That would be 3 weeks in a row of doing Heavy/Heavy weeks, and just wanted to see if that was alright.
    Still hoping to get an answer to this before tonight. Any help is appreciated.

Still hoping to get an answer to this before tonight. Any help is appreciated.
    No reason you could not do either one. I would probably go with the Heavy Heavy setup as I like doing 2 Heavy workouts but that is just me.

Originally Posted by wtfdic View Post
    No reason you could not do either one. I would probably go with the Heavy Heavy setup as I like doing 2 Heavy workouts but that is just me.
    Cool, thanks. It's just the weirdness of having 3 Heavy's this week, and 1 heavy next week. But I get the 2 days of rest in between each workout, so it should work.

k1ngoftheranch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do u guys recommend a powerlifter style setup for bench?...using hip drive arching lower back and benching to sternum?...yes i want to get stronger but i want a bigger chest asthetically....been watching videos all day...now im not talking about a competition based setup where u put your feet first and swing yourself into position but basically driving down heels...flexing glutes...slight lower back arch sternum up...wrists straight elbows in...

Cool, thanks. It's just the weirdness of having 3 Heavy's this week, and 1 heavy next week. But I get the 2 days of rest in between each workout, so it should work.
    Don't think about it in weeks...I had a hard time with this when I started because my first workout day of the week technically is Friday with my last being on Tuesday. Just think about getting your 3 workouts (or 2) in over a 7 day period of time.

Originally Posted by wtfdic View Post
    Don't think about it in weeks...I had a hard time with this when I started because my first workout day of the week technically is Friday with my last being on Tuesday. Just think about getting your 3 workouts (or 2) in over a 7 day period of time.
    Yeah, that definitely makes sense. I'm just gonna do some light cardio today instead of medium day, and then hit hard days tomorrow and Sunday.

Robert,

I agree with this:

Monday - Heavy
    Tues - rest
    today - rest
    Thur - Heavy
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - rest
    Sunday - Heavy

+next week:

Monday - rest
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - Heavy
    Thursday - gone
    Friday - gone
    Saturday - gone
    Sunday - gone

Crap happens so do the best you can.

And have a great vacation in Cancun.

Originally Posted by Mainer215 View Post
    Robert,

I agree with this:

Monday - Heavy
    Tues - rest
    today - rest
    Thur - Heavy
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - rest
    Sunday - Heavy

+next week:

Monday - rest
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - Heavy
    Thursday - gone
    Friday - gone
    Saturday - gone
    Sunday - gone

Crap happens so do the best you can.

And have a great vacation in Cancun.
    Thanks! I'll take it easy today then and do a bit of cardio and abs.

zsaperstone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ab exercises for off day (from part iv) creds to ABRMess006

For anyone looking for ab workouts on off days, I found these in the last thread, spent the past 30 minutes trying to find them, I am planning on starting these probably thursday (next off day)...

Here is the first that I found, don't remember who posted it, sorry!

Captain Chair Leg Lifts 3x10
    Situps 3x25
    Supine Lateral Scissors 3x25
    Medicine Ball Oblique Twists (12lbs) 3x20
    Plank 3X30sec
    5k run or 5k elliptical

Here is the other one I found which I also don't know the original poster...

30 sec weighted russan twist
    30 sec punch plank
    30 sec reverse crunch
    30 sec rock climber

x 3 sets

larderland has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How much of a break are we suppose yo take in between sets? I'm on week 2 and enjoying it so far but for a newbee it's tough

Originally Posted by larderland View Post
    How much of a break are we suppose yo take in between sets? I'm on week 2 and enjoying it so far but for a newbee it's tough
    Breaks between sets should be 1-1.5 minutes. Not the end of the world if you take a little longer as your endurance will improve over time.

Glad you like it.

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by k1ngoftheranch View Post
    driving down heels...flexing glutes...slight lower back arch sternum up...wrists straight elbows in...
    Thats what i do, it really helped my shoulder health. I pause 1-3 seconds at chest level, to work the chest more. They are HARD because you remove the stretch reflex, i had to drop 15-20lbs off the bar. I would add arms no more that 45 degrees out from the body, and elbows under wrists at chest level to your description to make it perfect. It would remove all the bad things; too high on chest, elbow flare, internal rotation, impingement, rotator cuff stress.

Omar just posted a video on it