Closed Thread
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Richie, The Eades Doctors speak very highly of ALA(Protein power life plan). They have the closet diet to mine, although I have refined it for bodybulding and to suit me. Their recommened dose is 100-300mg per day. I have not fely a need to add it my diet as of yet. Red meat is very rich in ALA and I eat a ton of it(this is why creatine does nothing for me as well).

I freely admit my jury is out on ALA and a keto diet. It is fact that ALA aids in turning glusose into energy, as of yet I do not see the point in taking it while in a glucose gylcogen deprived state. HOWEVER>>>>>>I just had a thought!!!!! It could be very helpful during the 24-36 hrs carb load!!! Hummm, sometimes this SH** just comes to me!

I will pick up a bottle this week and try it on my load that starts fri at 5pm and ends sat at dinner. My dose will be lets say 500mg to start. Will let you know how I feel.

Ritchie, dont feel bad about the first time you tried keto and failed, most do. Its very hard for someone to do it right the first time. Even clients under my guideance have a tough go the first shot.
    Psalm 121

xxlaura229xx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

* confused about keto*

Hey guys, well i was on an atkins board like this and they told me not to do the keto diet b/c it consists of 70 percent fat.. but so does atkins..doesnt it? Im confused lol. And I know that atkins is for people that are overweight..im not overweight.. but i do wanna loose some *5'6" and 135. I wanna be 130.. maybe 125.. But I am trying to make my stomach more defined.. and loose thw lower belly. And I am also starting an intense boxing class tomorrow.. ill prob be doing tha bout 3x a week and 1 hour to 1hour and a half a day. And I also use like light hand weights,.. 10-15 pounds. I dont want to look like a bodybuilder, I just want to get more of a tight defined body. Thanks in advance *laura*
    "Dont be afraid to be who you are" ;)

fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    70% fat?? Thats nuts.

A good starter ratio is 50% fat 40-45% protein 5%-10% carbs depending on meatbolism.
    Psalm 121

xxlaura229xx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

hey

lol i kkno.. i dnt think she knew what she was talkin bout.. can u give me an example of wha to eat.. breakfast..lunch..dinner on this diet? thanks so much
    "Dont be afraid to be who you are" ;)

1350 calories a day. 120g= 480 cals, 40g carbs=160 cals, 79g fat= 711 cals.

I am a nutritionist and this is my standard starter high fat diet. It has been adjusted for the fact you are female(I have had a rash of female clients, wish they were 135#. gettin some big ones)

As far as the intense cardio. Have 20g carbs and 20g whey plus 10g glutiamine(if budjet allows on the glut). This is a must and not an option on the shake that is. Shake does not count in calorie or carb counts.

As far as what to eat, hit the search key. You can spend hours reading quality info on the diet here.
    Psalm 121

Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Fitnessman, that's a real good idea about taking ALA on your carb day. i will also do this. and here is something else i was just thinking that i'll run by you. if you take ALA on your carb day in large enough quantities then maybe you could streeetch the carbing up another day or at least half a day as the ALA will help in getting you back in ketosis faster. it's starting to get into the cooler months here and i have enough ALA to last me 6 or 7 months so i'm going to experiment with this.also, realistically i will eat a lot more chicken,sardines,eggs,cottage cheese & tuna than red meat so is red meat YOUR choice or is it a necessity on a keto diet? i've got some real good info and menu suggestions from this thread so hopefully this time i'll get it right.not sure who mentioned it but a "KETO" section on the board sounds like a good idea.also if you're looking for cheap ALA i got a whole stack of it from Kilosport at a pretty good price but it'd be cheaper for you.Richie

HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    today i barely had any carbs then i ate like 30 in one meal jus to get close to 50 will that get me out of ketosis or as long as i get 50 in the day?
    1......2......3...... LIFT

Ritchie, I raise beef so its a natural for me have plenty around. Yes I am going to chat with some other nutritionist at the university tomorrow and get more info on ALA in a glucose/glycogen deprived state and how it works on the load.

Heavy, shouldnt hurt once in awhile, but all in all try to spread them out focusing on veggies.
    Psalm 121

Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Fitnessman, you raise beef........? can i move in!!!LOL. it's pretty hard to find a butcher here that sells CONSTANTLY good meat but i have found a place that sells chicken fillets about twice the size of my hand. (you get about 3 per kilo) and always good quality. i started my keto today (Monday) so i'll see how i go this time. i'd be very interested in your talk with your fellow nutritionists on ALA. regarding carbs, i was thinking about a salad similiar to Manteca (lettuce,onion,bacon pieces,diced chicken & cheddar cheese and maybe a handful of walnuts with mayo) as a meal and then some broccoli with an evening meal. can anyone suggest any other fibrous veges or other appropriate carbs i can add to this?thanks.Richie

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey guys good discussion, sorry I missed it .

ALA and carb load meals ........MMMMMMMMMMM.

Sounds interesting.

Actually, Iv'e been doing a little web researching on ALA and usnic acid when cutting. Believe it or not, there is not alot of practical info on either of these supps. Most of what has been somewhat helpfull, I have found on boards like BB.com.
    I'm going to keep searching, but sometimes with this damn thing called work, I get busy (like now) and my playing is limited severly.

I'm interested in both ALA and UA for cutting and also in conjunction with keto.

Fitnessman,
    Did you do the ALA this past weekend?
    Any results or things noticed.

Richie,
    This discussion has been a great addition to keto thread.

PEACE

sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000)
    i did some searching but i'm still in the dark......

just how many g's of sat. fat is acceptable? and why exactly do keto' ers want an ample amount of sat. fat? the nutritional guidlines blah blah blah said something like no more than 20g sat fat blah blah blah if i remember correctly. whats an acceptable sat. to non-sat. fat ratio?

princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i dont think it matters it wont effect anything studies show that your cholestorla and blood triglicerdies and all that **** go down while on low carb

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by princessbigman
    i dont think it matters it wont effect anything studies show that your cholestorla and blood triglicerdies and all that **** go down while on low carb

True, but if you want to limit saturated fats, then by all means limit them. Just make sure fat intake is high enough. What needs to be stressed when on keto is high enough fat intake levels, in conjunction with low enough carb intake levels to reach ketosis.

Also Good cholesterol rises and Bad cholesterol decreases for almost all when on keto diets.

I'm a person who limits saturated fat when on keto. (just the way I like to do it. ) NBD - really.

Hold the Ratios correct and tweak it a bit and just watch the fat melt away. LOL

PEACE
    Last edited by Chi_town; 05-08-2002 at 03:59 AM.

sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000) sietchring is just really nice. (+1000)
    thats good to know. i don't have a very high sat. fat content but i am getting ample amount of fat through Udo's, Hemp Oil, and Olive Oil. Over all I think 2/9 's of my fat is sat. I just wasn't sure if it really matter. I saw dorian ( i think) post that keto 'ers made the mistake of limiting their sat. fat. I just don't know why that is a mistake.

HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HeavyLifta has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    the mods should really make this a sticky has lots of info

Talking

Done did!
    Psalm 121

karina has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by karina
    hey fitnessman,

how do sugar alcohols affect a keto diet? i am not talking about the ones in protein bars. i am interested supplementing with inositol for its mood-brightening properties. however it has to be taken in large doses to be effective, something like 10-12grams a day. and since it is a type of sugar alcohol, i was wondering if that will kick me out of ketosis, and how it will affect my keto diet in general.

thanks
    bump my question... anyone who can answer?

sorry karina but i really dont know, do you have to do cardio int he morning to burn fat or since our gylcogen levels are dropped all day anyway can i do it in teh afternoon cause its hard when i have school in the morning

i haven't worked out ratios yet (i'm 6'1" and around 250lbs) but going more on a few menu suggestions i've seen here. can the people who have posted their menus please give their approx. height & weight for me to get an idea on how much i should be eating? so far i haven't had any hunger problems but i'm using an E.C.A. which is probably taking care of that.this is my second day of keto and did legs & abs this morning with 20 minutes cardio. after that i had pineapple juice,a spoonful of glucose (dextrose monohydrate),spoonful of creatine,protein powder and 1000mg of ALA and my body feels full. shouldn't i be flattening out now?thanks.Richie

karina, I do not know. I will ask some fellow nutritionist. I havee a meeting with them today and have several issues for debate.

Richie, I do not flatten out much anymore so dont worry about that. 6'1" and 250#? You are a BMF! I thought I was doing well at 5'9" 218#. Heres what I suggest: Cutting right?

2500 calories. 250g protein, 60g carbs(adjusted for bodyweight)140g fat. This is a starter ratio and I have adjusted some for weight and the fact you are an advanced bodybuilder.

The carbs total does not count post training shakes. 30g whey and 30g juice post weights.

I do 2 a days this time of year and post cardio I use 20g whey 15g juice and 10g glutamine.

I really think save the ALA for the carb load, but keep in mind I said "think".
    Psalm 121

Fitnessman, thanks for your time on this.muchly appreciated!! i think your right with the ALA as i did get crampy sort of pains today from it but i have HEAPS of it which is why i tried to work it into this keto diet.it's midnight here now and still feel quite full but a bit bloated and no hunger. i had no carbs apart from from some broccoli & lettuce at work tonight!!!maybe need a bit more fibre. thanks again for your help.Richie

princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    whats good for building lean mass on keto
    Last edited by princessbigman; 05-07-2002 at 10:25 AM.

Bulldog13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldog13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldog13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldog13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldog13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldog13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldog13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldog13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldog13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldog13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bulldog13 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Fitnessman, great thread.

But

Its a monster.

Maybe you should write a FAQ for it?

Thanks

cardio during the day on keto have the same benefits as in the morning?

callmejakob will become famous soon enough. (+50) callmejakob will become famous soon enough. (+50) callmejakob will become famous soon enough. (+50) callmejakob will become famous soon enough. (+50) callmejakob will become famous soon enough. (+50) callmejakob will become famous soon enough. (+50) callmejakob will become famous soon enough. (+50) callmejakob will become famous soon enough. (+50) callmejakob will become famous soon enough. (+50) callmejakob will become famous soon enough. (+50) callmejakob will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i dont think this question has been answered in the board yet (or atleast how i am going to ask it).. so here goes...

ive been experimenting on and off with the keto thing, and i find it really works for me... but to be honest i dont have the funds to get some ketostix (plus im 17, so i prob wouldnt anyway)... but are there any other ways to tell if you're in a keto state?

i started up my keto plan on sunday, and today i found that my muscles were constantly twitching, i felt "weird" overall, and i noticed that about an hour after i eat my protein at lunch (1 can of tuna and some nat. PB), my breath tasted pretty different (not in a food type way), and i felt pretty hot all over. i figured these were all signs that i was in a keto state, especially by the breath because i read that ketones are excreted through the lungs and the glycogen stores are depleted after about 2-3 days.. and thats how long its been since i started.

does any of this make sense? are these all signs? i also figured i was in a keto state because ive been tired since i started, so i am gonna up my fat intake. but anyway... any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by callmejakob; 05-07-2002 at 07:27 PM.
    the only good things to come out of england were elizabeth hurley and the muffins

i've just completed day 3 of keto but at first i'm not going to watch my calories...probably next week. i've just been eating heaps of fat (good & bad) & protein.two things i've noticed since i started this, 1.i trained legs on Tuesday morning and i've almost completely recovered (Wednesday night) whereas i'm usually in severe pain for at least 2 or 3 days. 2.my libido has shot through the roof.anyone else notice this? next week will be the test when i back off the calories a bit.Fitnessman, should i let myself get a bit hungry on this diet? i've been carrying a few hard boiled eggs and some continental sausages around with me so when i get a bit peckish i just have one of each.is this a good idea or not?thanks.Richie

Chi_Town, back up the page a bit you mentioned that you go easy on the saturated fats so what would an average days fat intake look like for you as this is probably what i will lean more towards as well? thanks,Richie

I never allow myself to go hungry. I had 7 small meals yesterday. I do eat about an hour before bed because I weight train first thing in the morning without eating. The fatty acids left over in the blood seem to fuel the workout well.

Of course calories are always a issue. You will know by how you feel which way to adjust.

Recovery and sex drive has always been better for me on a keto. Thats why I just stay on it now
    Psalm 121

Originally posted by Richie
    Chi_Town, back up the page a bit you mentioned that you go easy on the saturated fats so what would an average days fat intake look like for you as this is probably what i will lean more towards as well? thanks,Richie
    Richie,

I target 115 (45% of cals based on my BW) grams of fat on keto and try to average no more than say 25-35% from saturated fats. Some days less and others more. Sometimes I'm sure I'm even over 50%. I try and limit the sat fat but I don't get to anal about it. Otherwise it makes many days diets tougher to plan. I'd rather eat than supp my fat. I mean you can only stomach so much flax and olive oil, though I love olive oil.

bigdigiele has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do any of you compete? And if so, im getting ready for my first contest in 11 weeks. Ive began to cut carbs and therefor overall cals, but I dont think its a good idea to rush into anything. Im planning on gradually decreasing my carbs. I have a question though about a carb loading day, how many carbs should you take in, and what kind. Today was my load day and I ate these carbs;
    1) 2 cups oatmeal
    2)1 1/2 cups brown rice
    3)1/2 cup whole wheat cous cous
    4)50 grams of sugar post workout
    5)2 baked potatoes
    6)none

Is this too much?
    "Light weight, yeah buddy!"