Thread: Newbie gains

bubblebuttuk22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Newbie gains

I've read a lot on here about so called "newbie gains" - people losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time.

I was wondering how common this is? I've also heard a lot of people say they wish they'd maximised their newbie gains when they had the chance - I'm a noob so I'd very much like to make the most of this period if I can! When people say this do they mean that they cut and lifted weights at the same time and saw gains, or ate at a surplus and lifted weights at the same time and saw gains? How can I fully maximise this newbie time?

Another related question is - if I was pretty much sedentary beforehand and all of a sudden started lifting heavy weights and eating at maintenance, surely my metabolism will have increased if even a little bit due to the weights, and so if I'm still eating at maintenance level it means I'm technically eating at deficit because of this increase? Does that make any sense...

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by bubblebuttuk22; 03-22-2014 at 12:43 AM.

misswager has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am currently lifting heavy & trying to get lean at the same time. I do recommend Mike Matthews book for women. Its a good read & explains so much about macro nutrients, cardio & weight training.

If you eat at maintenance and start lifting heavy, you will gain muscle, however depending on your macros, you might also gain fat. Its a balance between cardio, weights & diet.

So I am eating to shred fat slowly and gain muscle. ITS WORKING!!
    Your body composition will change, what results you get depends on what effort you put in

Originally Posted by misswager View Post
    So I am eating to shred fat slowly and gain muscle. ITS WORKING!!
    Your body composition will change, what results you get depends on what effort you put in
    So are you eating at a deficit? Are you both gaining muscle and losing fat?

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I suggest you read the Sticky on Recomp.
    If you want to go the "newbie gains" route you'll need to eat at maintenance and lift heavy. This works best for "skinny fat" people. You'll SLOWLY gain muscle while SLOWLY losing fat. IMO, not the best route to go, if gaining muscle is a slow process, doing a recomp is even slower.
    What are your stats?

Originally Posted by Cara0915 View Post
    I suggest you read the Sticky on Recomp.
    If you want to go the "newbie gains" route you'll need to eat at maintenance and lift heavy. This works best for "skinny fat" people. You'll SLOWLY gain muscle while SLOWLY losing fat. IMO, not the best route to go, if gaining muscle is a slow process, doing a recomp is even slower.
    What are your stats?
    I've read the sticky, I'm just a bit confused about whether these newbie gains come from eating at a deficit or a surplus. Which is better for maximising this period?

I'm 5'2, 22, currently weigh 119. Eating around 1700 for maintenance (according to the calculators I found on here, but wondering if I should drop this...) 150g protein 190g carbs 50/60g fat (sometimes more, in which case I decrease the carbs). Don't know my BF% but I have a pic of my trouble areas (glutes and thighs) in my profile. I'm pretty lean on top already.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!

chaddy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaddy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaddy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaddy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaddy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaddy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just keep working hard! That's what this is all about... Pushing yourself!

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bubblebuttuk22 View Post
    I've read the sticky, I'm just a bit confused about whether these newbie gains come from eating at a deficit or a surplus. Which is better for maximising this period?

I'm 5'2, 22, currently weigh 119. Eating around 1700 for maintenance (according to the calculators I found on here, but wondering if I should drop this...) 150g protein 190g carbs 50/60g fat (sometimes more, in which case I decrease the carbs). Don't know my BF% but I have a pic of my trouble areas (glutes and thighs) in my profile. I'm pretty lean on top already.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!
    You'd eat at maintenance. The scale shouldn't move up or down, except for water retention reasons (usually around your period).