Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by HamburgerTrain View Post
    OP, at this point, you just need to pick something and do it.
    lol yeah I agree, and I have been. My original question was more hypothetical than anything but now I'm surprised at how many people are against straight sets of 5-6 in general. Just goes to show there are many ways to skin a cat.

If you go to the SS forum you will pretty much get the direct opposite advice of what people have been saying here. I know people bash SS and stuff but there are a lot of strong people who follow it or at least people as strong as I'm striving to be. Also as I said before I am looking to get generally stronger not necessarily platform ready. I don't want to particularly specialize in powerlifting or bodybuilding, I just want get significantly better than what I am right now in both while staying injury free.

hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    no one who is strong "follows" SS. by definition it is a novice program.

However, many strong intermediate/advanced lifters believe it is a good novice program. Personally, I'm a fan of the idea of doing as little as possible to continue increasing your strength, and as programs like SS show, you don't need to be deadlifting every day to make strength gains in the deadlift.

I think increasing deadlift volume after the novice phase is useful though, I can agree with that.
    BW: 190
    Squat 405
    Press: 167.5
    Deadlift: 475

ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by hsilman View Post

However, many strong intermediate/advanced lifters believe it is a good novice program. Personally, I'm a fan of the idea of doing as little as possible to continue increasing your strength, and as programs like SS show, you don't need to be deadlifting every day to make strength gains in the deadlift.

I think increasing deadlift volume after the novice phase is useful though, I can agree with that.
    It might be a novice program but there seem to be a good number of people who exhaust it's progress at similar lifts as yours which by my definition is strong. I know that a ~315 squat is not "strong" by powerlifting standards but that would be a significant achievement for me.

hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50) hsilman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ahox View Post
    It might be a novice program but there seem to be a good number of people who exhaust it's progress at similar lifts as yours which by my definition is strong. I know that a ~315 squat is not "strong" by powerlifting standards but that would be a significant achievement for me.
    fair enough. My wife tells me I need to be more positive about my progress even though it's a long way away from what I consider "strong". So yes, lots of people use it.
    BW: 190
    Squat 405
    Press: 167.5
    Deadlift: 475

doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by BigStewTheJew View Post
    Gona get more gains do 405 for 5 singles den 135x15 doe

Still equal the same weight
    That's an extreme over-exaggeration of his point. No one is going to say that dling 1 pound 2000 times is as good, but if the intensity is still pretty close, then you can compare tonnages.
    Babyslayer: "I have never seen anyone that has reached their genetic limit. And I never will "

doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100) doctor220 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by hsilman View Post

Continue increasing your strength is relative to what your goals are. Yes if you are adding 5 lbs a workout, that's great. But maybe there is a method that'll add 10 lbs every other workout instead of 5. Just because you are improving doesn't mean you are improving at a decent rate. If I add 5 lbs to my deadlift a year, that's improvement, but unless I'm deadlifting 900 that's probably not very ideal.
    Babyslayer: "I have never seen anyone that has reached their genetic limit. And I never will "

300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) 300lb10yrs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1x6 or 2x3 neither both suck, no volume.
    6x1 or 3x3 or 4x2. Man up. Do you want to be strong or just look strong?

Tonights workout(light)
    SS Bar squats to low box 3x8@65%
    Sumo double pause dl 3x3@45%
    Stiff-leg defecit deadlift 3x6@75%
    Barbell Curl 2x12@Whothe****knows

BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by runtocatch View Post
    I understand this and that's what I'm trying to say. I don't care what SS or any of the "beginner" programs say. If I got a young athlete and we are gonna be pulling he or she will be doing singles. Hell I've had my daughter do 25 singles with 135 in one session just to work on nothing but form and address any issues I see. By the end she was pulling like a champ and it all looked good.
    You train athletes?

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ahox View Post
    lol yeah I agree, and I have been. My original question was more hypothetical than anything but now I'm surprised at how many people are against straight sets of 5-6 in general. Just goes to show there are many ways to skin a cat.

If you go to the SS forum you will pretty much get the direct opposite advice of what people have been saying here. I know people bash SS and stuff but there are a lot of strong people who follow it or at least people as strong as I'm striving to be. Also as I said before I am looking to get generally stronger not necessarily platform ready. I don't want to particularly specialize in powerlifting or bodybuilding, I just want get significantly better than what I am right now in both while staying injury free.

I hear you. The difference between that forum and this one is that that one is primarily for SS. Here, you have a lot of strong guys that do many differing styles of training.

Here is how I look at it: what do successful, strong people do? They lift as heavy as they can as often as they can. Training in the single to 5rm range is just sport specific. Higher volume is what messes with recevery. That time spent being sore doing volume for volumes sake could be spent pracocong the lifts with heavy weight.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    https://web.archive.org/web/20071026...s/Sheiko29.htm

thats a sheiko beginner phase. Sets and reps are listed backwards. (4x1 = 1 set of 4) You can try the deadlift part only just to see what its like...its pretty hard. Deadlift to knees= deadlift to knees then back down. Deadlift from pins = deadlift in power rack with pins just below or right at knee. Deadlift from box means a deficit deadlift...standing on a 45" plate or whatever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggvQsq2WPcM This is Prilepins table which was derived from Soviet era weightlifting practice. Gives u some idea of how Sheiko is formulated even though I dont think Sheiko follows it religiously
    "Humility comes before honor"

GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GetHimABodyBag is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    google dragondoor deadlift singles program

I tried heavy fives and triples but I like singles with a density approach. The singles are easy to recover, fatigue is not an issue after squats/presses, allows you to practice and perfect setup/mental and physical cues and, emphasize bar speed.

Why beat yourself up on heavy sets? I rather use it on my high bar squats, and "bodybuilding" sets with rows,ghr's, and seated gm's

I appreciate the feedback from you guys. Reps all around. Right now on my heavy days I'm going to try out 3x3 and I think I am going to add some lighter paused deadlifts possibly on my squat day and see how it goes. I think the added volume with help with technique if nothing else and I don't see why strength wouldn't follow.

elliottsohns27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elliottsohns27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elliottsohns27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elliottsohns27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elliottsohns27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elliottsohns27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elliottsohns27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elliottsohns27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elliottsohns27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elliottsohns27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) elliottsohns27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Deadlifts are the best