Thread: TDEE help??

whitakerem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whitakerem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whitakerem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whitakerem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whitakerem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whitakerem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

TDEE help??

So my TDEE calculates to about 2200...everyone tells me that for cutting I should be eating my tdee minus 20%. That just seems way too high for me as far as losing fat/weight goes. Im 5"7 135 lbs and currently have been eating roughly 1000 calories per day and working out every day as well. Ive hit a plateau and I know my calories may be too low but I was thinking maybe raising them to 1300 certainly not all the way up to 1700? Ive also been doing low carb. Is this correct for cutting? Please dont direct me to another forum, ive read them all already and am still confused.

KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by whitakerem View Post
    So my TDEE calculates to about 2200...everyone tells me that for cutting I should be eating my tdee minus 20%. That just seems way too high for me as far as losing fat/weight goes. Im 5"7 135 lbs and currently have been eating roughly 1000 calories per day and working out every day as well. Ive hit a plateau and I know my calories may be too low but I was thinking maybe raising them to 1300 certainly not all the way up to 1700? Ive also been doing low carb. Is this correct for cutting? Please dont direct me to another forum, ive read them all already and am still confused.
    most here will tell you that you have to figure it out with trial and error, those calculators are just for a starting point. Basically, find your maintenance by eating at 2200 for a few weeks and monitoring your weight, then make an adjustment: is the ideal method.

erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It took me a long time to find my sweet spot. Just from a glance though, it probably wouldn't hurt to bump up the calories just a bit. Seems a tab bit low IMO.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

This is the calculator I have used for a while, even splits the macro nutrients up for you. Many people swear by this method and some hate it....but personally I have seen some good results using it on a cut. Good luck!!

vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    1000 + workouts is not enough calories. Eating too little is not why weight loss stopped though. You will continue to lose fat no matter how low your calories go. You stalled because eating too little causes big increases in water retention. I would up calories to at least 1400. Keep um there for several weeks. You say you are going low carb, that really isn't needed. On a typical day what are you protein, carbs, and fats at? How long how you been stalled with weight loss? What is your lifting/cardio routine like?
    -Former 300lb club

My Transformation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlEs4py6FUs

My YouTube Page: http://www.youtube.com/feedingfitness

"Obsessed is a term lazy people use to describe the dedicated."

whitakerem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whitakerem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whitakerem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whitakerem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whitakerem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whitakerem has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by erfayard View Post
    It took me a long time to find my sweet spot. Just from a glance though, it probably wouldn't hurt to bump up the calories just a bit. Seems a tab bit low

This is the calculator I have used for a while, even splits the macro nutrients up for you. Many people swear by this method and some hate it....but personally I have seen some good results using it on a cut. Good luck!!
    Ive used that website. Thats how ive calculated everything, the only thing I dont understand is how high it sets my daily carb amounts. I know I shouldnt be doing anything ridiculous like under 50 but it tells me I should be at 150g carbs per day and that seems exteemely high to me.

Originally Posted by vismal View Post
    1000 + workouts is not enough calories. Eating too little is not why weight loss stopped though. You will continue to lose fat no matter how low your calories go. You stalled because eating too little causes big increases in water retention. I would up calories to at least 1400. Keep um there for several weeks. You say you are going low carb, that really isn't needed. On a typical day what are you protein, carbs, and fats at? How long how you been stalled with weight loss? What is your lifting/cardio routine like?
    I'm fairly new to this whole keeping track of everything ordeal, I used to just eat little and workout. But I now want to have defined muscles and to be able to see my abs more. I know ill eventually need to bulk but I want to lose my fat first. Lately I have been eating oatmeal and egg whites for breakfast, protein shakes, protein bars, chicken, spinach, avacados, turkey and sometimes sandwiches. All adding up to about 1000 calories. I do weights every day, obviously alternating between different targeting points. And ive been doing 20-30 min of hiit on the treadmill mostly every night.

Originally Posted by vismal View Post
    And as far as the weight loss, I was going through a lot of stress a few months back and started binge eating. I ended up at 142 my highest weight ive ever been. I got down to 135 in about a week and ive been stalled at 135 for about 3 weeks now. Although im seeing a little more proress in muscles im not seeing any more fat loss.

erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50) erfayard will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ive used that website. Thats how ive calculated everything, the only thing I dont understand is how high it sets my daily carb amounts. I know I shouldnt be doing anything ridiculous like under 50 but it tells me I should be at 150g carbs per day and that seems exteemely high to me.
    Try manually adjusting to add more protein....that is odd...I think mine only gives me like 149g carbs per day, although I end up taking in a bit more than that. Try upping the calories and I think you will be back on track in no time.
    Looking good by the way!

Originally Posted by erfayard View Post
    Try manually adjusting to add more protein....that is odd...I think mine only gives me like 149g carbs per day, although I end up taking in a bit more than that. Try upping the calories and I think you will be back on track in no time.
    Looking good by the way!
    Okay I will try more protein, thank you! So youre also saying that high carb vs low carb doesnt seem to make a difference while trying to lose weight/fat? I get so confused and frustrated cause the internet sucks and always says a million different things.

Okay I will try more protein, thank you! So youre also saying that high carb vs low carb doesnt seem to make a difference while trying to lose weight/fat? I get so confused and frustrated cause the internet sucks and always says a million different things.
    A lot of people will argue for/against carb timing, cycling, etc. . Honestly, if the calories are in the right spot given a fair amount of protein and fat, I think you will be fine. When planning my meals I always meet my protein and fat requirements first, then fill the remaining calories with carbs. You're right, with all of the things floating around on the internet it can be quite confusing! I try not to get too caught up in whatever the big fad is at the moment regarding carbs/timing/anything.

MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hello..

Having been dieting/lifting for years now - I can tell you it's a learning process. Just be patient. I come from being obese to now being about 139 lbs at your height. Here's a couple tips:

- Ditch the split routine for weights. Lift 3x a week but a full body, progressively increasing weight regiment. Look into Stronglifts 5x5 (I do this), or Starting Strength.

- Cals. I eat about the same as you. I played around with different numbers. My TDEE is 1800 and I wasn't even losing at 1300. So I had to keep lowering until I started losing again. I'm now losing about 1-2 lbs a week. Agree with Vismal on the water retention though. I counter that by preparing my food without salt (but add all the other spices) and drinking tons of water all day long.

- You didn't say anything about off days? In order for muscles to grow, you need rest days. I overtrain by a lot too, but am slowly trying to break that habit.

You have a very nice body btw. Good luck missy.
    Thus let me live, unseen, unknown;
    Thus unlamented let me die;
    Steal from the world, and not a stone
    Tell where I lie.

2/17/15 - Dunk Tank Results: 15% bf (Omron said 18.6%) - 123.4 lbs LBM

Originally Posted by MuzzieChik786 View Post
    Hello..

Having been dieting/lifting for years now - I can tell you it's a learning process. Just be patient. I come from being obese to now being about 139 lbs at your height. Here's a couple tips:

- Ditch the split routine for weights. Lift 3x a week but a full body, progressively increasing weight regiment. Look into Stronglifts 5x5 (I do this), or Starting Strength.

- Cals. I eat about the same as you. I played around with different numbers. My TDEE is 1800 and I wasn't even losing at 1300. So I had to keep lowering until I started losing again. I'm now losing about 1-2 lbs a week. Agree with Vismal on the water retention though. I counter that by preparing my food without salt (but add all the other spices) and drinking tons of water all day long.

- You didn't say anything about off days? In order for muscles to grow, you need rest days. I overtrain by a lot too, but am slowly trying to break that habit.

You have a very nice body btw. Good luck missy.
    Thank you so much for the advice! What do you reccommend as far as what foods to eat? Im scared to eat anything other than chicken salad oatmeal and egg whites cause I get scared of getting fat.

MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MuzzieChik786 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thank you so much for the advice! What do you reccommend as far as what foods to eat? Im scared to eat anything other than chicken salad oatmeal and egg whites cause I get scared of getting fat.
    Well, like you, I'm low carb. Not on purpose though. In order to keep calories low, it just happens that I get about 60-80 g of carbs. But my protein is like 100-110 g and fats is 45-60 g depending on the day.

Here's some of the stuff I eat:

- Low carb, low sodium, high fiber tortillas (45 cals each)
    - BOILED EGGS (egg whites are good, but don't be afraid of the good fats in whole eggs)
    - lots of salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, celery, spinach etc.
    - tuna (you can get 80 calories single serving pouches now that are yum)
    - boneless, skinless chicken bewbs - baked
    - ground chicken
    - ground beef
    - turkey and beef bacon (I'm kosher)
    - berries (waaahooo lol)
    - dark chocolate (lil Dove ones - treat to keep sane)
    - low sodium, high protein peanut butter
    - protein bars (I only like the Pure Protein Revolution bars - 190 cals 20 g protein or the Quest Cookie Dough ones)
    - mozerella cheese slices
    - almond milk (in my coffee in the mornings)
    - whole milk (to fill up remaining cals if needed)

I only "cheat" once a month now. If your bf % is really low (and the guys here can give you a good estimate based on your avi), then you might need more refeed days to reset leptin levels.

Refeeds are days you eat at or just a little above your maintenance.
    Tell where I lie.

Well, like you, I'm low carb. Not on purpose though. In order to keep calories low, it just happens that I get about 60-80 g of carbs. But my protein is like 100-110 g and fats is 45-60 g depending on the day.

Here's some of the stuff I eat:

- Low carb, low sodium, high fiber tortillas (45 cals each)
    - BOILED EGGS (egg whites are good, but don't be afraid of the good fats in whole eggs)
    - lots of salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, celery, spinach etc.
    - tuna (you can get 80 calories single serving pouches now that are yum)
    - boneless, skinless chicken bewbs - baked
    - ground chicken
    - ground beef
    - turkey and beef bacon (I'm kosher)
    - berries (waaahooo lol)
    - dark chocolate (lil Dove ones - treat to keep sane)
    - low sodium, high protein peanut butter
    - protein bars (I only like the Pure Protein Revolution bars - 190 cals 20 g protein or the Quest Cookie Dough ones)
    - mozerella cheese slices
    - almond milk (in my coffee in the mornings)
    - whole milk (to fill up remaining cals if needed)

I only "cheat" once a month now. If your bf % is really low (and the guys here can give you a good estimate based on your avi), then you might need more refeed days to reset leptin levels.

Refeeds are days you eat at or just a little above your maintenance.
    Thank you for being the most helpful person on here! How do you feel about avacados and sweet potatoes?

Thank you for being the most helpful person on here! How do you feel about avacados and sweet potatoes?
    Lol, no, that's Vismal. The dude is a powerhouse of knowledge.

Avacados and sweet potatoes for the win. Do it! I will have these sometimes before deadlift day. Because when you're lifting 200 lbs at 139, you need the extra help. lol.

Also, olive oil.

We girls are funny though - we like variety in our food. The guys I train with eat the same stuff day in and day out. It would make life so much easier if I could do that.
    Tell where I lie.

JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JaredPunch has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    So my TDEE calculates to about 2200...everyone tells me that for cutting I should be eating my tdee minus 20%. That just seems way too high for me as far as losing fat/weight goes. Im 5"7 135 lbs and currently have been eating roughly 1000 calories per day and working out every day as well.
    For women and people who don't have much fat to lose, they advise 15% deficit. So no, it's not too thigh.
    I have seen the best results with fat loss right when I thought I was not "cutting hard enough"
    Just when I was thinking "damn, my deficit is too small, I'm not exercising enough, I don't feel hungry enought to be losing" is when I lost the most in the best way.

vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Lol, no, that's Vismal. The dude is a powerhouse of knowledge.

Avacados and sweet potatoes for the win. Do it! I will have these sometimes before deadlift day. Because when you're lifting 200 lbs at 139, you need the extra help. lol.

Also, olive oil.

We girls are funny though - we like variety in our food. The guys I train with eat the same stuff day in and day out. It would make life so much easier if I could do that.
    You're too kind!
    But yeah, everything muzzie is saying is spot on. Count your calories, lift heavy ass weights, and you cant really go wrong!
    -Former 300lb club

My Transformation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlEs4py6FUs

My YouTube Page: http://www.youtube.com/feedingfitness

"Obsessed is a term lazy people use to describe the dedicated."

JOJOJAJO is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Weight loss stalled-need advise

Reading the posts here I can identify exactly with some of you. I am a 5'1" 49 yr. old female I did hydrostatic fat analysis which gave me a 29.9% fat percentage and a TDEE of 1474. I assume is more accurate than any online calculator. However, not loosing any weight on that number for 3 months, I reduced TDEE to 1354 based on the calculator here , leaving deficits per day of 200 cals. I am not loosing still after 2 weeks. Three months ago, I have done the Metabolic Diet Reset for 8 weeks- Haylie Ponroy, lost 5 pounds and got stucked at the 135 mark. My macros are 30-40 fat, 120-140 protein, 120 carbs. I eat clean for the most part, no dairy, no wheat, no sugar (only from fruit). I measure my meals carefully and log into My Fitness Pal. I am hopeless and don't know what else to do to loose 9 pounds and be at 127 with a 24% body fat. A trainer I had in the past always told me I should never go below 1200 no matter what. I do Orange Theory 2 times a week and walk 2 times per week. Any advice will be appreciated )