Registered User takenodaysoff25's Avatar
    takenodaysoff25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) takenodaysoff25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) takenodaysoff25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) takenodaysoff25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) takenodaysoff25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) takenodaysoff25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) takenodaysoff25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) takenodaysoff25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) takenodaysoff25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) takenodaysoff25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) takenodaysoff25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Does packing muscles on legs slow down speed?

I'm not good with the science lol so that's why I'm just asking. I had a small argument with one of my friends over this and told him that mass gains on the legs doesn't affect speed as long as you're working your speed and doing poly's. Am I right? or is it true adding more mass to legs slow you down?

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by takenodaysoff25 View Post
    I'm not good with the science lol so that's why I'm just asking. I had a small argument with one of my friends over this and told him that mass gains on the legs doesn't affect speed as long as you're working your speed and doing poly's. Am I right? or is it true adding more mass to legs slow you down?
    It's a bit over-simplified, but in essence, you are right. It probably matters if you train and eat like an imbecile or if you run under about 10.5. I can guess which your friend is most likely to be.

wolfLarson is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfLarson is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfLarson is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfLarson is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfLarson is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfLarson is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfLarson is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfLarson is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfLarson is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfLarson is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfLarson is a name known to all. (+5000)
    check a sprinters physique on google then repeat the question
    Pec stretches Pec Stretches Pec Stretches

I am only here to help

pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think there's a reason steroids were banned, muscles got bigger, people ran faster and, dicks shrank....

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    Mass for the sake of mass will slow you down, its a sprinters relative strength that matters the most, your strength-to-weight ratio.

For some speed training tips read this - http://www.stack.com/2014/03/11/foot...-40-yard-dash/
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

Running for my life. The Running Man's Avatar
    The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hypertrophy training is a separate goal from power/speed training, although you often simultaneously achieve both, especially if you are relatively untrained. As stated, the answer to the question is yes mass gains can slow you down, they can also speed you up if they're merely an adjunct to your power/speed training. The relationship between hypertrophy and speed isn't linear, which is why sprinters don't look like Olympia contestants.

It's easy to imagine a scenario where your sprints performance was at first very strength limited, so there was a direct correlation between increasing your squat max and better sprint times. Eventually that relationship becomes tenuous at best, and even negative, as further attempts to increase your squat lead to decreased elasticity, and start to subtract substantially from your daily training energy envelope.

Sprinters train for power and speed. They look the way they look as a result of that.