dwon21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Gaining Vertical Jump

Hi, I'm a 17 year old, 6'0 guy and I'm looking for ways to improve my vertical jump for basketball. The goal i'm aspiring to is dunking a basketball. I weigh anywhere from 165-170 pounds. I recently began to work out using weights at the gym and I have some questions about jumping.

I can get my fingers around a inch or two above the rim. My questions are:
    1) When should I do plyometrics? Should I do them on my "rest days" between my workouts, or should I do them during one of my bi/chest days.

2) What type of plyometrics are optimal in increasing vert?

3) How many more inches do I need to dunk?

4) How many times a week should I do plyos?

Thank you! Will appreciate all helpful input.

madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dwon21 View Post
    Hi, I'm a 17 year old, 6'0 guy and I'm looking for ways to improve my vertical jump for basketball. The goal i'm aspiring to is dunking a basketball. I weigh anywhere from 165-170 pounds. I recently began to work out using weights at the gym and I have some questions about jumping.

I can get my fingers around a inch or two above the rim. My questions are:
    1) When should I do plyometrics? Should I do them on my "rest days" between my workouts, or should I do them during one of my bi/chest days.

2) What type of plyometrics are optimal in increasing vert?

3) How many more inches do I need to dunk?

4) How many times a week should I do plyos?

Thank you! Will appreciate all helpful input.
    Do You Currently squat Below Parallel? If The Answer Is Yes, How Much With proper Form? My advice Is predicated On Your Answer.

hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    SQUAT!
    SQUAT with good form!
    SQUAT LOW!
    SQUAT HEAVY!

You need to periodize your training as well. If your goal is to increase vertical jump for performance you should base your training around your competitive basketball season, which I'm assuming starts in November. AFter your season is over you should take 2-4 weeks of active rest then get into some balance and endurance training then shift to strength training then max strength/power training then focus on power/sports specific training. This will allow you to build strength and then use a transition period to turn that strength into power and that power into functional (Jumping) power.

Plyos can be done on and off all year long. In a strength focus phase do them the day before or 2 days after you train legs or even in your leg workout.

In the power/function stages of training do them either first or in a superset with a squat movement.
    All American EFX Rep

********: www.********.com/AllAmericanEFX
    Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
    Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX and they are my own.

MaksPtheTruth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaksPtheTruth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaksPtheTruth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaksPtheTruth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaksPtheTruth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaksPtheTruth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaksPtheTruth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaksPtheTruth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaksPtheTruth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaksPtheTruth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaksPtheTruth is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey bro check my workout video on it and apply these exercises.

The Workout

Plyometrics

Vertical Jump 4 sets of 6 reps
    Short Distance Sprints 4 sets
    Practice Jumping 4 sets of 6 reps
    Depth Jumps 4 sets of 6 reps

Strength Training

Jump Squats With A Barbell 3 sets of 10 reps
    Barbell Half Squats 4 sets of 6 reps
    Reverse barbell Lunges 4 sets of 6 reps
    One Leg Calf Raises 4 sets of 16 reps

Rest for 3 full days.