Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How many bulking and cuts have you done?

I was reading some of the other questions and answers and it got me wondering. I just curious to get an idea how many times did you do a bulk and cut cycles to get into great noticeably muscular shape? I know I have a long way to go at this point I am doing what I think is a slow clean bulk and I have come to realize that my goals of being built for this summer are unrealistic. Due to the fact that I need to build a lot more muscle and loose a lot of fat too. So I know it will probably take till at least next summer 2015 to get hopefully closer to my goal. But I am still curious about how many cycles did it take for you and how many years? I know summer is coming up but I am thinking of just keep slowly bulking to build a good muscle foundation.

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Since 2008, I have done one year long bulk in 2011-2012, and this is my 3rd 12 week cut.

Otherwise I eat at maintenance and lift
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tamrea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I calculated my maintenance calories to be 1590. I am eating around 1700 to 1800 calories a day so do you know if this sounds about right for a slow bulk? My diet consists of veggies, fruits, trail mix , peanut butter and proteins ( meats, whey protein) and almond milk. I am trying to increase my proteins and lower my fat intake. I am always low on the protein and over on the fats according to myfitness pal. My biggest problem with the protein is the cost of meat as I have so many other people to by lots of different groceries for too.
    Last edited by tamrea; 03-11-2014 at 01:41 PM.

dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There's no way your maintenance calories are 1590. Mine are between 1950-2050 (depending on whether it's winter or summer) and I'm older and smaller than you.

When I first started lifting and really tracking my calories and macros I thought my maintenance was going to be 1800 based on some of the formulas on here and elsewhere. After eating at "maintenance" for a few months, I'd dropped another 3 or 4 pounds I wasn't really looking to lose, LOL. When I started my first bulk I didn't actually put on any real weight till I got to 2100 calories a day.
    "Eat some oatmeal, do some squats, how hard is that seriously."--Prof Ham
    ..............................................................................
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers
    ...............................................................................
    For the lulz and an occasional intelligent thought, plus pics:

http://musclemilkisnotaeuphemism.blogspot.com/

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ive been at this for just over 4 years now. I have cut, idk how many times, because i spent the whole first 18 months too worried about getting lean. I have done 2 bulks. The first was 6 months long, didnt see much progress. The 2nd was from from June/july ish of 2012 to june/july ish of 2013. I started a concentrated effort on cutting in November of 2013 and have dropped 17-18 pounds since then (i gained 20 on the bulk). I have seen a lot more progress with the longer bulk and IMO my body composition changes have been great.

I am much happier with my results after the longer bulk. Not saying I gained "a ton of muscle" or anything, and I sure have a lot longer to go, but I am happy with the progress I am making.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

ZJmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Typically, do most of you bulk during the fall and winter then cut a few months before summer?

dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My first, longest bulk started in March 2011 and ended right after my birthday in November. I cut for a month, took a two or three week break over the holidays, then cut again the month of January. So, no, have not necessarily only bulked in winter.
    "Eat some oatmeal, do some squats, how hard is that seriously."--Prof Ham
    ..............................................................................
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers
    ...............................................................................
    For the lulz and an occasional intelligent thought, plus pics:

http://musclemilkisnotaeuphemism.blogspot.com/

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Mine started in July 2011 but I was living in the Gulf coast of FL at the time, so it's bikini season there 9 months out of the year

Honestly, I was coming off a cut so pretty lean when I started. And I never got so fat I couldn't wear a bathing suit
    For what I don't know

The cutting and bulking part of bodybuilding is what is the most confusing to me. I've always just worked out and never focused of the nutrition part (bad I know). I don't know if I should cut to see what muscle I have then work on a long slow bulk starting in the fall. I'm not starting out extremely lean, so I don't want to be uncomfortable in a swimsuit this summer.

Originally Posted by ZJmama View Post
    The cutting and bulking part of bodybuilding is what is the most confusing to me. I've always just worked out and never focused of the nutrition part (bad I know). I don't know if I should cut to see what muscle I have then work on a long slow bulk starting in the fall. I'm not starting out extremely lean, so I don't want to be uncomfortable in a swimsuit this summer.
    You can ask for all the advice in the world. At the end of the day, you really just need to do what makes you happiest.
    For what I don't know

Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    you can ask for all the advice in the world. at the end of the day, you really just need to do what makes you happiest.
    Quoted for truth

You can ask for all the advice in the world. At the end of the day, you really just need to do what makes you happiest.
    Q
    Very true there is so much info out there, it gets confusing!

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ZJmama View Post
    Agreed, though i started my bulk in the summer and i wasnt that lean, maybe 24-25ish %. But once i got low enough in weight, i realized that i didnt have enough muscle, and i wouldnt be happy continuing to cut.
    So you have to choose which is right for you at each time.

I quit the bulk because i was just done mentally, and it took a few more months for me to be mentally ready to cut.
    Its a process.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

I got the 1590 calories from the myfitness pal website. I have checked it quite a few times and keep getting the same answer. I seem to gain weight pretty easily so it made sense to me. Do you know of a good formula or link that may be more accurate for maintenance calories? I am thinking of bulking till next spring if I can handle it my clothes are already getting tighter in the legs and I didn't really want to go shopping lol. I seem to be gaining about .5 lbs every 1-2 weeks.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Since I started lifting again [lifted since freshman year of high school through college and then took a 5 year hiatus] I have cut once for a competition then bulked for 8 months then cycled between cutting and maintenance for three competitions throughout 2013 and now I'm at maintenance and will cut for a comp in November.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

Originally Posted by megdaig View Post
    Since I started lifting again [lifted since freshman year of high school through college and then took a 5 year hiatus] I have cut once for a competition then bulked for 8 months then cycled between cutting and maintenance for three competitions throughout 2013 and now I'm at maintenance and will cut for a comp in November.
    Have you noticed if you seem to gain a lot of muscle when your on maintenance calories? I thought we had to eat more above maintenance to build muscles so I am just wondering.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tamrea View Post
    Have you noticed if you seem to gain a lot of muscle when your on maintenance calories? I thought we had to eat more above maintenance to build muscles so I am just wondering.
    Maybe I'm misleading. I am horrible at maintaining my weight. I can cut like a beast for competition in as few as weeks as possible and then I just enjoy myself at gain back my weight. So I'll fluctuate...stage weight is 135-ish and off is anywhere from 145 to 160#! Like right now...I'm training for IM and was GAINING weight But when I get to about 155# I will be a little more responsible with my diet. But I'm no where near consistent with my nutrition so any gains that I may achieve may just be incidental because I cannot be certain that I am in a surplus (I cannot guarantee except for scale weight trends) ...consistency is very lacking.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...

Yet a fluffy MarshMallow Ma110W's Avatar
    Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've been lifting for about three years now, about to be on my fourth. I started at 108lbs, and am now sitting at 141lbs. I've never felt fat through my bulk and have only done short mini cuts (like only a month/month and a half long) because I'm not mentally ready to cut. Like the other ladies have said, ultimately it comes down to what you're comfortable with.

SkinCoffin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinCoffin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinCoffin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinCoffin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinCoffin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinCoffin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinCoffin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinCoffin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinCoffin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinCoffin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinCoffin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by megdaig View Post
    I'm currently bulking and starting to think I should cut atm. I have muscle but the fat is getting to me. I just don't want to have to do another long bulk and be back to being all squishy again, but I've come so far I only want to keep bulking so I don't have to do it again haha. So I'm pretty torn as to what road to take.

I would just keep bulking for another few months, but was considering dropping to maintenance for a bit, before I cut around June.

Does doing one bulk and then maintaining/cuts have as good of an effect as doing big bulk and big cut cycles?
    *perth crew*
    *brutal/black/death metal crew*
    *vegeta crew*
    *only accepts requests from friends IRL crew*

B: 135lb
    D: 230lb

I have to say I have been a little confused on what is the best way to go. I know for sure I want to bulk from next 2014 September till March or April of 2015. But I am not sure what I should be doing now. I still want to build more muscle but I also know I have a lot of fat to loose and I would like to at least look better this summer than what I did last summer. I kinda really messed up from November to End of January this year I wasn't working out hard and I ate terrible over the winter and gained 9lbs pretty fast I am sure mostly fat. I have been good since February again eating really well and working out regularly. I have gained some muscle but still not sure as to whether I should go for a long bulk till next spring 2015 or cut in Mid April this year and do it properly next September? How long do bulks usually last?

Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cass40 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have never done any.

I didn't know what I was doing when I started lifting September.

Now I'm doing my first cut, but only because I want to start building muscle eventually, and I couldn't start bulking when my BF was already 27%.

So, now I have lost ten pounds since January, and will definitely start my first bulk as soon as I drop a couple of more pounds. Can't frikkin wait to start adding muscle. I don't like this look at all. (Not the avi pic, since in that I'm still a fattie )

Registered User sweetkissees918's Avatar
    sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In order for muscle definition to show, you have to dial down the fat after bulking for many months... if you don't like the amount of muscle you have go back on a bulk and invite new gains to come. Keep doing it until you are happy with what you have. You are not going to be satisfied just after one cycle of bulking/cutting. For us, it takes a few bulking/cutting cycles to really get a good base. I've Lost track of bulks and cuts for myself lol. I hate cutting tho, which is why i barely do it. I only cut down when I cant stand it anymore, then i'll only shed maybe 5-10lb, not much at all.
    ▪█───────█▪

Bench Press: Current: 210lbs Goal: 225lbs
    Deadlift: Current: 442.5lbs (World Record) Goal: 500lbs
    Military Press: Current: 120lbs Goal: 135lbs
    Squat: Current: 372.5lbs Goal: 400lbs

~Working out and not eating right is like doing your homework and not turning it in.~

******** link to our training page: www.********.com/pages/Xtreme-Fitness/1478082779087471

Well I just came back from the gym and I have decided to continue to bulk till May 1st and then cut for a while. After the cut depending how long it takes I might maintain for a while. The first of September I am going to start my first long bulk till the following May. I hope things work well and I will finally get on track with diet, routines and cycles. This can be confusing especially when you don't want to make mistakes but I guess it happens.

lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I was a runner and had very unhealthy eating habits before joining this site in 2011. I decided to bulk and just went here I gained about 22 lbs in 6 months, going from 125-127 to 145-147 lbs. I then cut to 133, realized that my legs are still soooo small compared to what I want them to be, so I went back to bulking. I went through several injuries and life changing events whereby I ended up bulking for 4 months and recomping for another 2, I am now on cut #2, sitting at 135.8 right now. I will keep cutting a bit more and then the plan is to start bulking in July until Jan 2015 and then if I can afford it get a coach and try for a competition I absolutely fell in love with lifting, if I could quit my job and open a gym, I will Maybe one day

I know for sure its going to take me a few bulk/cut cycles to get even close to where I would like to be one day. Few years for sure

I calculated my calories and marco using the formula on the website and I got 1349.23 calories seem a little low for maintenance calories. now I need to add a 10 to 20 % to figure out bulking calories. which work out to be 1484 at 10% increase or 1619 at 20% increase. Again seem low to me compared to what a lot of people post as bulking calories.

Your maintenance cals would be closer to 2000. I would suggest starting there and then add 100 or so if you are not gaining weight.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    Your maintenance cals would be closer to 2000. I would suggest starting there and then add 100 or so if you are not gaining weight.
    Ok sounds good! the calories did seem low but I kept getting that for an answer.

Registered User sweetkissees918's Avatar
    sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000) sweetkissees918 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ok sounds good! the calories did seem low but I kept getting that for an answer.
    It's gonna be trail and error for awhile until you find your calories to gain and lose. No one is perfect.. Mistakes will happen along with setbacks, etc.. Just remember to keep going forward and never give up and you'll reach all your goals.
    ▪█───────█▪

Bench Press: Current: 210lbs Goal: 225lbs
    Deadlift: Current: 442.5lbs (World Record) Goal: 500lbs
    Military Press: Current: 120lbs Goal: 135lbs
    Squat: Current: 372.5lbs Goal: 400lbs

~Working out and not eating right is like doing your homework and not turning it in.~

******** link to our training page: www.********.com/pages/Xtreme-Fitness/1478082779087471

I calculated my calories and marco using the formula on the website and I got 1349.23 calories seem a little low for maintenance calories. now I need to add a 10 to 20 % to figure out bulking calories. which work out to be 1484 at 10% increase or 1619 at 20% increase. Again seem low to me compared to what a lot of people post as bulking calories.
    1300 sounds like your BMR. Multiply that by your activity factor...try 1.3 to 1.3 for a sedentary to moderately active person and then add your extra 100 to 200 bulking calories.