schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

DIY step up platform?

Can anyone please draw my attention for a tutorial for a DIY step up platform? I'm looking to make an alternate to these type of plyo boxes:

I'm looking to use them for weighted step ups, BSS, inverted row w/feet elevated, etc. I thought I could get away with using our Pendlay bench but the padding is too thick to provide a flat, stable surface.

Thanks.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There are directions all over the net for DIY plyo boxes. I might go with this one, as it has the 3 different heights. You should be able to scale it down easily enough to suit your purposes.

http://www.health-bent.com/blog/how-...plyometric-box
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks. I don't have any of the tools required in that tutorial

I don't need a true plyo box, just anything that I can use for a 12"/18" rise.

I should have mentioned in the OP that I'm hoping to find something that I can put together that requires minimal tools as I'd have to rent/borrow them.

marcp10 is just really nice. (+1000) marcp10 is just really nice. (+1000) marcp10 is just really nice. (+1000) marcp10 is just really nice. (+1000) marcp10 is just really nice. (+1000) marcp10 is just really nice. (+1000) marcp10 is just really nice. (+1000) marcp10 is just really nice. (+1000) marcp10 is just really nice. (+1000) marcp10 is just really nice. (+1000) marcp10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    There are directions all over the net for DIY plyo boxes. I might go with this one, as it has the 3 different heights. You should be able to scale it down easily enough to suit your purposes.

http://www.health-bent.com/blog/how-...plyometric-box
    Really easy to do. Durable also, I use it every day.
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by marcp10 View Post
    Really easy to do. Durable also, I use it every day.
    So glad to hear. Very useful info for the OP who had no tools and already shot down the concept.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 ▪██─────██▪

○---○ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] ○---○
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #45 ▪█─────█▪

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    Thanks. I don't have any of the tools required in that tutorial

I should have mentioned in the OP that I'm hoping to find something that I can put together that requires minimal tools as I'd have to rent/borrow them.
    Build a block out of 2x4's. Just go to your local lumber yard or Home Depot, buy a bunch of 2x4's (they will cut them for you if you're worried about the boards being too long to fit in your vehicle), and some constructions screws. Cut them in 18" lengths (or whatever size you need) and screw them together. Stagger each new row so you have one row going length-wise and the other going width-wise. This is probably the most simple solution, is very cheap, and will build a very strong box. You might want to get a drawer handle to help move it around and some non-slip tape to put on the top (the type people put on stairs and ramps). I can't imagine this costing you more than $20-30 even if you need to buy a handsaw and screwdriver to build it.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    Build a block out of 2x4's. Just go to your local lumber yard or Home Depot, buy a bunch of 2x4's (they will cut them for you if you're worried about the boards being too long to fit in your vehicle), and some constructions screws. Cut them in 18" lengths (or whatever size you need) and screw them together. Stagger each new row so you have one row going length-wise and the other going width-wise. This is probably the most simple solution, is very cheap, and will build a very strong box. You might want to get a drawer handle to help move it around and some non-slip tape to put on the top (the type people put on stairs and ramps). I can't imagine this costing you more than $20-30 even if you need to buy a handsaw and screwdriver to build it.
    This was what came to my mind as well.

I have a 12" plyo box that is exactly what you posted in your first thread that I got new for $45 or so about 2 years ago. Not sure if there are places near you that sell fitness equipment, but it might not be terribly expensive to just buy a plyo box.

It would also be worth your while to get a cheap power drill and a basic tool set!
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You could always just get a valve box for under $20

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-12-...3213/202206750

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post

This is very easy to do and not expensive.

Here are mine:
    DIY Step-Up Stand (Heavy Duty)
    DIY Stiff-Legged Deadlift Stand (solid and cheap)

Harmonia Early Music: http://www.harmoniaearlymusic.org
    SymphonyCast: http://symphonycast.org
    Performance Today: http://performancetoday.publicradio.org
    Studio360: http://www.studio360.org
    RadioLab: http://www.radiolab.org
    TED Radio Hour: http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/
    This American Life: http://www.thisamericanlife.org
    On Being: http://www.onbeing.org
    Snap Judgment: http://www.snapjudgment.org/radio-show
    Radio IQ: http://wvtf.org
    LibriVox: https://librivox.org/

djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Check your craigslist for Plyo boxes and you might find a local shop that is building them. I found a couple shops advertising plyo boxes in my area and I'm having them build me a 12x14x16 squat box and a 20x24x30 plyo box. You can probably get them to build you a 14x16x18 box for $50-$60 bucks using 3/4 plywood. Or ask a local cabinet guy to build you one, probably find a cheap one on craigslist.

Just tell them to build you one with the following criteria:
    -Glued and Screwed
    -Internally Braced
    -3/4 Birch or similar quality grade plywood
    -Rounded Edges
    -Handles cutout
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #48 ▪██─────██▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #34 ▪[M]====[6]▪

djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I forgot that Black Widow Training Gear has a Plyobox Flat Pack and they would probably make you a custom flat pack to your specs. They ship you precut and I'm assuming pre-drilled plyobox panels. You borrow a drill and screw everything together, kinda like Ikea Furniture.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #48 ▪██─────██▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #34 ▪[M]====[6]▪

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    Good idea, I will look into it.

Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    This was what came to my mind as well.

I have a 12" plyo box that is exactly what you posted in your first thread that I got new for $45 or so about 2 years ago. Not sure if there are places near you that sell fitness equipment, but it might not be terribly expensive to just buy a plyo box.

It would also be worth your while to get a cheap power drill and a basic tool set!
    Sorry, my bad, we do have a drill but no saw.

You're right that a cheap plyo bax might not even be that $$. I live near Fitness Avenue and for some reason I'd rather not give them more of my money as they rub me the wrong way but I guess for a small accessory like this I could suck it up

Originally Posted by ndmike99 View Post
    You could always just get a valve box for under $20

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-12-...3213/202206750
    I didn't even know those existed! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post
    This is very easy to do and not expensive.

Here are mine:
    DIY Step-Up Stand (Heavy Duty)
    DIY Stiff-Legged Deadlift Stand (solid and cheap)

I think I came across those exact photos when I did a Google search

Looks straight forward.

Originally Posted by djslik916 View Post
    Check your craigslist for Plyo boxes and you might find a local shop that is building them. I found a couple shops advertising plyo boxes in my area and I'm having them build me a 12x14x16 squat box and a 20x24x30 plyo box. You can probably get them to build you a 14x16x18 box for $50-$60 bucks using 3/4 plywood. Or ask a local cabinet guy to build you one, probably find a cheap one on craigslist.

Just tell them to build you one with the following criteria:
    -Glued and Screwed
    -Internally Braced
    -3/4 Birch or similar quality grade plywood
    -Rounded Edges
    -Handles cutout
    Another option, thanks. I think if it would cost $50-$60 I could get the one in the OP for about that. They sell the three piece set (12", 18" and 24" for $199). I only need the 12" one though. With my height and 8 foot ceilings in the basement, I can't step up that high.

Originally Posted by djslik916 View Post
    I forgot that Black Widow Training Gear has a Plyobox Flat Pack and they would probably make you a custom flat pack to your specs. They ship you precut and I'm assuming pre-drilled plyobox panels. You borrow a drill and screw everything together, kinda like Ikea Furniture.
    Interesting, thanks.

Lots of options to consider. Thanks again.