Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question New Workout/Nutrition Plan - Realistic Expectations?

Hi. I am 30 years old and very out of shape. Started trying to change that several times and stopped. This time, i'm committed, have support in place, and a plan.

Here's where I'm at 5'4" 170 lbs.

For the past week, I've been doing a hybrid of Insanity and P90X3. I do Insanity for 3 days, 1 day of P90X3 lifting. Since Insanity is max interval cardio, but it also does a lot of squats and some arm resistance on certain days (different push ups, tricep dips, etc...), I do the P90X3 lifting to get in some true lifting, and also, because I need a break from the nonstop jumping in Insanity - my calves are on fire by day 3. And while I know that building endurance is important, I truthfully do not like cardio. ha.

I'm eating 1400-1600 calories per day, depending on the workout for the day - Insanity days I aim to get close to 1600 because if I don't, I notice it's very hard to get through the workout. I'm weak. Protein - 40%, Carbs - 40%, Fat 20%.

supplements: protein shakes, Beachbody Results & Recovery Drink after a workout

What are your thoughts on the plan/nutrition?

What would you think are realistic expectations over the course of 90 days? 6 months?

I do have my sister's wedding in 6 months, and I'd like to feel good about how I look at the wedding. I want to have realistic expectations for a 6 month time frame.

Thanks for any feedback.

InkIronChik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kelise24 View Post
    Hi. I am 30 years old and very out of shape. Started trying to change that several times and stopped. This time, i'm committed, have support in place, and a plan.

Here's where I'm at 5'4" 170 lbs.

For the past week, I've been doing a hybrid of Insanity and P90X3. I do Insanity for 3 days, 1 day of P90X3 lifting. Since Insanity is max interval cardio, but it also does a lot of squats and some arm resistance on certain days (different push ups, tricep dips, etc...), I do the P90X3 lifting to get in some true lifting, and also, because I need a break from the nonstop jumping in Insanity - my calves are on fire by day 3. And while I know that building endurance is important, I truthfully do not like cardio. ha.

I'm eating 1400-1600 calories per day, depending on the workout for the day - Insanity days I aim to get close to 1600 because if I don't, I notice it's very hard to get through the workout. I'm weak. Protein - 40%, Carbs - 40%, Fat 20%.

supplements: protein shakes, Beachbody Results & Recovery Drink after a workout

What are your thoughts on the plan/nutrition?

What would you think are realistic expectations over the course of 90 days? 6 months?

I do have my sister's wedding in 6 months, and I'd like to feel good about how I look at the wedding. I want to have realistic expectations for a 6 month time frame.

Thanks for any feedback.
    Am usually a lurker and have decided to dip my toe in the water, so I'll chuck in my two cents before the more seasoned forum vets come and give their advice

In terms of the training, I'd say if you follow a routine (ANY routine) then you'll always see some level of results, be that a fitness dvd, a program or any other kind of planned exercise regime, but in terms of expectations then it really is a case of 'how long is your piece of string' - everyone is different and will respond differently to exercise stimuli. It also depends on your nutrition, which for someone starting out can often me more key than the training to begin with. Start with the basics and become proficient in monitoring your macronutrients and caloric intakes. From my opinion your calories look somewhat on the low side, but again I'm sure the other ladies here with more experience can advise you better. As a 'newbie' your in a good position for seeing more rapid gains than someone else who may have less body fat to lose and who's already a little more experienced with lifting, so if you can establish a good training plan (maybe incorporate some compound lifts and learn the bread and butter methods of lifting weights) and focus on the right nutrition, then I think you'll be well on the way to achieving your desired results. Good luck!
    "Civilize the mind, but make savage the body" - Sei Shin Kan.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    InkIron is right your calorie intake is too low. Set your calorie intake around 1800-1850 for steady fat loss. I'd set protein around 150 grams and divide your remaining calories towards carbs and healthy fats. Weigh, measure and track everything accordingly on a food scale and you'll be good to go.

Insanity and P90X3 are more cardio based typed programs. There's nothing wrong with that...you're doing exercise which is better than nothing. But honestly if you want to make more/better progress, getting yourself on a solid lifting program would be the way to go. If you don't have the proper equipment at home I would advise joining a local gym.

Here's a few good routines to check into:

All Pro’s Beginner Routine

http://simplebeginnerroutine.wikia.c...r_Routine_Wiki

Starting Strength Routine

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw52.htm

Books:

New Rules of Lifting For Women - program layout in the book

New Rules of Lifting Supercharged - program layout in the book

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-...ting+for+women

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rules-Lift...g+supercharged

Best of luck!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kelise24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    InkIron is right your calorie intake is too low. Set your calorie intake around 1800-1850 for steady fat loss. I'd set protein around 150 grams and divide your remaining calories towards carbs and healthy fats. Weigh, measure and track everything accordingly on a food scale and you'll be good to go.

Insanity and P90X3 are more cardio based typed programs. There's nothing wrong with that...you're doing exercise which is better than nothing. But honestly if you want to make more/better progress, getting yourself on a solid lifting program would be the way to go. If you don't have the proper equipment at home I would advise joining a local gym.

Here's a few good routines to check into:

All Pro’s Beginner Routine

Starting Strength Routine

Books:

New Rules of Lifting For Women - program layout in the book

New Rules of Lifting Supercharged - program layout in the book

Best of luck!
    Ok, I will look at the calories again. So crazy to feel like they are too low. Wanting to lose, you always think you should be lower.

P90X3 has a lot of lifting, but I just downloaded the Supercharged book you suggested and will get on that now. Is there a balance between lifting/cardio that results in the best results? I feel like I should be doing some cardio just to improve my stamina. Truth is - it's horrible right now. So I was hoping the Insanity would improve it.

Thank you both for the replies!!

Ok, so I read the NROLS book. I did the first basic training I routine last night. I did it at a pretty good speed, had my heart rate going pretty well and sweat pouring while doing it.

Here's the show:

RAMP (per the book) - warm up
    Plank - 2x 30 seconds each
    Mountain Climbers - 2x 30 seconds each
    Jump squats 2 sets, 5 each
    Goblet Squats 50 lbs, 12 reps; 40 lbs, 11 reps (sucked here - my legs were still recovering from Insanity I think)
    Dumbbell row - 25 lbs, 15 reps, 2 sets (per arm)
    Step Ups - no weight, 2 sets, 10 reps (again, legs are still worn out from Insanity)
    Push Ups - 2 sets, 15 reps
    2 Intervals - 1 minute jumping jacks, 2 minute recovery

I was spent by the time it was over, but honestly felt like I wasn't doing enough. :-/ I am actually not sore today, with the exception of the joint between my upper and lower arms.

Thinking of doing some Insanity on the off days to burn extra calories/speed fat loss. Thoughts?

mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I had stellar results from NROLS. If you feel like you aren't doing enough, lift heavier stuff.
    Instagram: @doctorv17

Originally Posted by mavd View Post
    I had stellar results from NROLS. If you feel like you aren't doing enough, lift heavier stuff.
    mavd - what were your results? what was your goal? i couldn't life heavier if i tried right now, trust me. i was busting out what i could do. i guess i mean more moves - after dabbling with p90x and insanity - they just have you all over the place with so much.

mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Left image is before lifting, right image is after NROL for Women and right before NROLS:

This one is after NROLS. I gained about 10 pounds in a bulk then lost about 3 cutting during NROLS, so I'm ~7 pounds heavier. But a lot of it is muscle, which was my goal.

wow! awesome results!!

i'm nowhere near where you are - i have a lot to lose before i can focus on building the muscle. my goal for now is fat loss. hoping for the newbie luck to magically make some muscle at the same time... but they may have to come later.

wow! awesome results!!

i'm nowhere near where you are - i have a lot to lose before i can focus on building the muscle. my goal for now is fat loss. hoping for the newbie luck to magically make some muscle at the same time... but they may have to come later.
    There is still some debate about newbie gains around here but here's what happened to me in the first two months of lifting:

Same exact weight, two pants sizes down. So, I'm a believer lol.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    wow! awesome results!!

Your focus is fat loss, while preserving the muscle you carry now. You've got muscle on your frame...just need to strip the fat to see it.

There is still some debate about newbie gains around here but here's what happened to me in the first two months of lifting:

Same exact weight, two pants sizes down. So, I'm a believer lol.
    NICE!! Hoping in a few months I can post some pics that show progress.

Your focus is fat loss, while preserving the muscle you carry now. You've got muscle on your frame...just need to strip the fat to see it.
    Thanks. Yes, I need to strip away a lot of fat to see it. But that's what I'm working on now.

NICE!! Hoping in a few months I can post some pics that show progress.
    You'll be amazed by the different results from losing a pound of FAT instead of a pound of weight.

You'll be amazed by the different results from losing a pound of FAT instead of a pound of weight.
    Very true. When I started this - my husband asked if I weighed myself and how often I planned on weighing myself. I said - I know basically what I weigh, and I measured myself. I don't have a set plan on weighing myself, but I will take measurements periodically. I was thinking every 2 weeks. I could care less what the scale says. Does not matter to me at all. I care about my health and how I look - the composition of my body. The weight at which I am satisfied will be whatever that weight is when I look in the mirror and say - that's it.

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Very true. When I started this - my husband asked if I weighed myself and how often I planned on weighing myself. I said - I know basically what I weigh, and I measured myself. I don't have a set plan on weighing myself, but I will take measurements periodically. I was thinking every 2 weeks. I could care less what the scale says. Does not matter to me at all. I care about my health and how I look - the composition of my body. The weight at which I am satisfied will be whatever that weight is when I look in the mirror and say - that's it.
    The scale doesn't tell the whole story, especially for seasoned lifters but for beginners who start very overweight the scale is the most useful tool. You should see a 2lb per week loss for at least 4 or 5 weeks then after than 1lb is probably more realistic.
    Take monthly photos!
    Good luck!

Originally Posted by Cara0915 View Post
    The scale doesn't tell the whole story, especially for seasoned lifters but for beginners who start very overweight the scale is the most useful tool. You should see a 2lb per week loss for at least 4 or 5 weeks then after than 1lb is probably more realistic.
    Take monthly photos!
    Good luck!
    Well, I've been going strong for a week, and I went ahead and weighed... no change. That sucked! I know I am tracking everything and working out hardcore. I did just start, and I feel somewhat bloated today....

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well, I've been going strong for a week, and I went ahead and weighed... no change. That sucked! I know I am tracking everything and working out hardcore. I did just start, and I feel somewhat bloated today....
    Give it another week, if still no scale loss then there's an error in your tracking.

Give it another week, if still no scale loss then there's an error in your tracking.
    Will do. Thanks, Cara. I don't think I'm off on my tracking - I use myfitness pal and weigh everything. But it's possible... I'm hoping it's mostly because of my menstrual cycle and bloating. I do have really bad cycles - they did an ablation in October to try to help - no change after that. Not the result I was hoping for.

Ferela has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started out my healthy life style change with insanity. I did a round of insanity and loved how much stronger it made me ( haven't worked out since i had my kiddos). I noticed a big difference in how my arms/shoulders looked, and it improved my cardio. I did a p90x and insanity hybrid right after, and p90x felt so much easier than insanity lol so my third round I gave up insanity and did just p90x. Doing p90x gave me basic knowledge of weight lifting, and I did notice a change in my abdominal muscles when I actually did the ab ripper like suppose to without skipping. After that I was half through bodybeast, I loved it as
    I started to understand the concept of supersets and dropsets and felt like it was much more challenging than p90x. I love p90x plyometrics tho! I still do it instead of my cardio or on days i can't make it to the gym.

For the 90day result expectations?
    Did I have abs like in the commercials by the end of insanity? no
    Did I have them by the end of p90x insanity hybrid ? No
    After third round of just p90x? No
    However it did make me stronger and I did gain some muscle just not as much as the claim in the commercials

I should add my diet wasn't really dialled in, and indulged more than I should of
    But still pretty healthy.

Anyways I still think those programs are a great way to start, and I'm glad I did em, and when I joined a gym I didn't feel like a complete newbie.
    Just my experience

Originally Posted by Ferela View Post
    I started out my healthy life style change with insanity. I did a round of insanity and loved how much stronger it made me ( haven't worked out since i had my kiddos). I noticed a big difference in how my arms/shoulders looked, and it improved my cardio. I did a p90x and insanity hybrid right after, and p90x felt so much easier than insanity lol so my third round I gave up insanity and did just p90x. Doing p90x gave me basic knowledge of weight lifting, and I did notice a change in my abdominal muscles when I actually did the ab ripper like suppose to without skipping. After that I was half through bodybeast, I loved it as
    I started to understand the concept of supersets and dropsets and felt like it was much more challenging than p90x. I love p90x plyometrics tho! I still do it instead of my cardio or on days i can't make it to the gym.

For the 90day result expectations?
    Did I have abs like in the commercials by the end of insanity? no
    Did I have them by the end of p90x insanity hybrid ? No
    After third round of just p90x? No
    However it did make me stronger and I did gain some muscle just not as much as the claim in the commercials

I should add my diet wasn't really dialled in, and indulged more than I should of
    But still pretty healthy.

Anyways I still think those programs are a great way to start, and I'm glad I did em, and when I joined a gym I didn't feel like a complete newbie.
    Just my experience
    Thanks for that!! Nice to get input from someone who has done it. I'm hoping insanity will improve my cardio. I know that I have no cardio fitness right now.

I do have a question for anyone who can give some advice - doing insanity (or most cardio) works my legs like crazy. Squats, jumps, running, etc... Then, lift day, weighted squats, lunges, etc... My legs never get a break and they're feeling it. It's cutting down the weight I can use on lifting day because my legs are sore. And it's making it more difficult to perform on cardio days because my legs tire out so quickly. (Thighs. But also on cardio days my calves are so tight and just on fire almost immediately. The calves almost lock up for lack of better words)

Any advice on the leg issue?

Thanks for that!! Nice to get input from someone who has done it. I'm hoping insanity will improve my cardio. I know that I have no cardio fitness right now.

I do have a question for anyone who can give some advice - doing insanity (or most cardio) works my legs like crazy. Squats, jumps, running, etc... Then, lift day, weighted squats, lunges, etc... My legs never get a break and they're feeling it. It's cutting down the weight I can use on lifting day because my legs are sore. And it's making it more difficult to perform on cardio days because my legs tire out so quickly. (Thighs. But also on cardio days my calves are so tight and just on fire almost immediately. The calves almost lock up for lack of better words)

Any advice on the leg issue?

Stop doing so much Insanity. It is a glorified cardio program and is not going to build up your muscles like heavy leg day will.

Stop doing so much Insanity. It is a glorified cardio program and is not going to build up your muscles like heavy leg day will.
    Agreed.^^You need to cut it back, because your weight training will suffer and you'll have issues with recovery.

MFP is not always accurate when it comes to calorie counts.

I'm doing NROLS and insanity on the off days. I need some cardio to speed fat loss.

Agreed.^^You need to cut it back, because your weight training will suffer and you'll have issues with recovery.

MFP is not always accurate when it comes to calorie counts.
    Is there a better calorie tracker?

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I need some cardio to speed fat loss.
    No, you don't. Excessive cardio will hurt your lifting/muscle retention. Lift a solid program and eat in a solid deficit. Cardio should be a very minimal part of your week.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

poshbird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poshbird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poshbird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poshbird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poshbird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poshbird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poshbird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poshbird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poshbird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poshbird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poshbird has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If I am honest I don't think your eating enough. 1600 seems pretty low for your stats. I am eating around 1500-1600 and losing weight but I'm 130lbs
    Twitter: @NorthernLassFit

Instagram: InkandIron666

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SweatShedPhysique

Originally Posted by poshbird View Post
    If I am honest I don't think your eating enough. 1600 seems pretty low for your stats. I am eating around 1500-1600 and losing weight but I'm 130lbs
    Yes you're probably right. I have been majorly hungry the past few days. Took a rest to let my body recover since of been doing weights one day and insanity the next nonstop. My lower body was not recovering. And that was catching up with me and affecting my ability to perform during workouts.

Ok. So I took the weekend off. Felt like I was overtraining with all the insanity and lifting. I haven't lost anything on the scale. But I have lost inches now. About 1.5" on my stomach and on my chest. A little off my arms. Does that make sense at all??

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You're heading to another stop/start cycle again. Slow down, sustainable changes, or you'll burn out and hurt yourself. You didn't get out of shape overnight, you aren't going to fix this overnight. This is a typical mistake.