Sam1983 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

When should I do shrugs in a push/pull routine?

I'm doing a 3 day push/pull/legs routine these days and I have seen decent improvements on my major lifts(bench,squat,deads) in the last 6 weeks, along with fair size gains. My question is, when should I do my dumbbell shrugs(or upright rows if I switch exercises) - on push(chest/shoulders/tris) or pull(back/bis) day? Technically it is a pulling movement, but it involves shoulders and is usually done on shoulder day in other routines... or does it even matter what day I do it on? Any advice is appreciated.

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    my gut instinct is to say on Pull day
    but if your volume is high on pull day (as with yoru back being on that day I suspect it is)
    you could consider putting it on push day instead, or even legs if that's your low volume day (as it is for me if I do Push Pull Legs I plan on having very minimal work for legs)

Sam1983 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

thanks

Yeah, my volume is higher on pull day - deadlifts, rows, and chinups, plus bicep curls and hammer curls. Throwing shrugs in there would give me 6 pull lifts and 4 push lifts. I'm gonna go with push to make it an even 5 for both days. Thanks for the advice.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz

Re: thanks

Originally posted by Sam1983
    Yeah, my volume is higher on pull day - deadlifts, rows, and chinups, plus bicep curls and hammer curls. Throwing shrugs in there would give me 6 pull lifts and 4 push lifts. I'm gonna go with push to make it an even 5 for both days. Thanks for the advice.
    you answered that yourself...

TKO333 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TKO333 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TKO333 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TKO333 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

upright rows.

Originally Posted by Sam1983 View Post
    I'm doing a 3 day push/pull/legs routine these days and I have seen decent improvements on my major lifts(bench,squat,deads) in the last 6 weeks, along with fair size gains. My question is, when should I do my dumbbell shrugs(or upright rows if I switch exercises) - on push(chest/shoulders/tris) or pull(back/bis) day? Technically it is a pulling movement, but it involves shoulders and is usually done on shoulder day in other routines... or does it even matter what day I do it on? Any advice is appreciated.
    yea, upright rows are overlooked. Many dont even know this movement. I would sneak it it on back day. If you do your seated pulley rows slightly angled backward. . Same kinda movement. You can avoid shrugs or upright rows completely. seated pulley rows are my favorite movement. vary your angles when doing them. That's how i finish my back workout and go directly to biceps ripping.......