DrayCarter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weightlifting and Martial Arts splits?

I've been training just a little over a year in the gym now, and just recently I wanted to get back into Martial Arts. I wanted some peoples opinion on a split I thought of with Martial Arts.

Monday--
    Tuesday--Push
    Wednesday--Pull
    Thursday--
    Friday--Legs
    Saturday--
    Sunday--Martial Arts

Does anybody think this would work or not be too much trouble for me? Martial Arts goes for 4 hours lessons, including; Judo/Jujitsu 1.5hrs, Kickboxing 1.5hrs and MMA 1hr. Or is my current split fine? Where I just take out my second day of legs, which would look like~

Monday--
    Tuesday--Legs
    Wednesday--Chest
    Thursday--Back/Bi
    Friday--Shoulders/Tri
    Saturday--
    Sunday--Martial Arts
    Current split has Legs on Monday where I'd do front squats and Friday where I'd do Back squats(not including Martial Arts).

ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Im no pro, so I wont preach what you should do, but Id image adding in deadlifting would help you pick people up to slam them if you are put in a triangle or something, if the opportunity to run around the head isnt there.

90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 90Dec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DrayCarter View Post
    I've been training just a little over a year in the gym now, and just recently I wanted to get back into Martial Arts. I wanted some peoples opinion on a split I thought of with Martial Arts.

Monday--
    Tuesday--Push
    Wednesday--Pull
    Thursday--
    Friday--Legs
    Saturday--
    Sunday--Martial Arts

Does anybody think this would work or not be too much trouble for me? Martial Arts goes for 4 hours lessons, including; Judo/Jujitsu 1.5hrs, Kickboxing 1.5hrs and MMA 1hr. Or is my current split fine? Where I just take out my second day of legs, which would look like~

Monday--
    Tuesday--Legs
    Wednesday--Chest
    Thursday--Back/Bi
    Friday--Shoulders/Tri
    Saturday--
    Sunday--Martial Arts
    Current split has Legs on Monday where I'd do front squats and Friday where I'd do Back squats(not including Martial Arts).
    Go for it Dray and see how it goes there looks like plenty of rest there change it if you feel tired, your body knows best. The only concern might be any overlap of muscles on your push/ pull days but I don't know enough about those types of routines to really say.

If there is the above overlap then give yourself rest between gym days and put your martial arts the day after legs*. I used to cycle quite a bit and if my legs were aching before training they weren't after I'd gone through the warm up.

*Am I right in thinking that Legs sometimes ache two days after working them? DOMS and all that. I haven't weight trained enough to know for sure with this.

Originally Posted by ErikLeeHayes View Post
    Im no pro, so I wont preach what you should do, but Id image adding in deadlifting would help you pick people up to slam them if you are put in a triangle or something, if the opportunity to run around the head isnt there.
    I would never take out Deadlifts from any of my splits. It's one of my most favourite exercises.
    Originally Posted by 90Dec View Post
    Go for it Dray and see how it goes there looks like plenty of rest there change it if you feel tired, your body knows best. The only concern might be any overlap of muscles on your push/ pull days but I don't know enough about those types of routines to really say.

If there is the above overlap then give yourself rest between gym days and put your martial arts the day after legs*. I used to cycle quite a bit and if my legs were aching before training they weren't after I'd gone through the warm up.

*Am I right in thinking that Legs sometimes ache two days after working them? DOMS and all that. I haven't weight trained enough to know for sure with this.
    Push/Pull/Legs probably would be the best choice. I might however have to switch pull and legs. Legs always takes the longest to recover to 100%, and oh man, I'm gonna need that 100% for Martial Arts. Thought It would be fine since I can do legs twice a week without no problem. But, was I wrong.

weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    this question pop up regularly. IMO if you are to achieve anything in both building muscle and getting better at martial arts, you have to go beyond the usual set up, one training a day for an hour just doesn't work. My recent split was like this:

Monday morning: chest, biceps, triceps, forearms, neck (about 1.5 hrs)

Monday eve: Back, traps, shoulders (1hr)

Tuesday morning: legs, abs (1hr+)

Tuesday evening: boxing (easy 2 hrs)

from then on the cycle repeats itself. 6 days a week, three times two-day cycle. Sunday off. Not easy, but doable. If your nutrition isn't in check you will burn out quickly. It will require full support from your immediate family members, because your training routine will tax them too.

Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Mondag: Pull
    Tuesday: BJJ
    Wednesday: Push
    Thursday: rest
    Friday: Legs
    Saturday: BJJ
    Sunday: rest or running
    Why lift when it's all about the calves?

weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Lombardment View Post
    Mondag: Pull
    Tuesday: BJJ
    Wednesday: Push
    Thursday: rest
    Friday: Legs
    Saturday: BJJ
    Sunday: rest or running
    I tried similar split and I must say there isn't enough volume. IMO hitting muscle groups once a week is way too infrequent for optimal growth. Also, martial arts twice a week is not enough either, this is a very technical training and needs 3 times a week minimum. Again, this is just me perhaps, but certain things need to be drilled daily basically. When all taken in consideration, one training session a day just doesn't do it, no matter how you split it.

Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lombardment is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by weiss1967 View Post
    I tried similar split and I must say there isn't enough volume. IMO hitting muscle groups once a week is way too infrequent for optimal growth. Also, martial arts twice a week is not enough either, this is a very technical training and needs 3 times a week minimum. Again, this is just me perhaps, but certain things need to be drilled daily basically. When all taken in consideration, one training session a day just doesn't do it, no matter how you split it.
    I did Judo for 8 years pretty serious before now BJJ is just a hobby of mine next to lifting. Dont know how serious OP is about MA
    Why lift when it's all about the calves?

Been more concerned with strength rather than hypertrophy at the gym lately. I'll get back into serious bodybuilding soon, but right now, I just wanna get stronger in my lifts. And with MA, it's more of a hobby, but, I do want to join some competitions. FOR the experience(and to win some medals, of course).

My Sensei's time is only flexible for Sunday 4hr lessons(Jujitsu/Kickboxing/MMA), I think he also does one lesson of Judo during the week as well. We used to do 4hr lessons(Tuesday and Thursday) back when I was a Junior in High School.

ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ErikLeeHayes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Been more concerned with strength rather than hypertrophy at the gym lately. I'll get back into serious bodybuilding soon, but right now, I just wanna get stronger in my lifts. And with MA, it's more of a hobby, but, I do want to join some competitions. FOR the experience(and to win some medals, of course).

My Sensei's time is only flexible for Sunday 4hr lessons(Jujitsu/Kickboxing/MMA), I think he also does one lesson of Judo during the week as well. We used to do 4hr lessons(Tuesday and Thursday) back when I was a Junior in High School.
    Ive competed in mma, id recommend training no less than 3-4 days a week for like 2-4 hours at a time. i lost my first fight only training 2 days a week, then i started doing it 4, and now ive come back and won the last two straight, ive done 5 jiujitsu matches too, and been successful there, only lost once so far, but i have a background in wrestling because i did it for 4 years on the varsity wrestling team, biggest thing is not being one dimensional, i favored my wrestling heavily in my first fight and that didn't work out too well, the last two ive incorporated a more balanced approach and it went well. good luck to you when you go out there, the rush is unexplainable! i wish i would have started weight training before, because just doing the body weight exercises didn't seem to make dealing with my opponents strength any less difficult.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Monday--
    Tuesday--Push
    Wednesday--Pull
    Thursday--
    Friday--Legs
    Saturday--
    Sunday--Martial Arts

Monday--
    Tuesday--Legs
    Wednesday--Chest
    Thursday--Back/Bi
    Friday--Shoulders/Tri
    Saturday--
    Sunday--Martial Arts
    If those are your available days, I'd suggest going to a full-body routine or a two-way split repeated in A/B fashion, rather than the three way split.

4 day, two-way split may be even better.

patricklee85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patricklee85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patricklee85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do something similar to krakkerz first suggestion, full body routines. I'm not a body builder and have no aspiration to be one but I am a MMA competitor at the professional level. Everything depends on end goals and competition schedule, for me anyway. When I'm in a fight camp, I'm training MMA minimum 6 days a week in the evenings and my mornings are alternating lifting and cardio. When lifting, I do a full body routine. Its nothing special, mostly due to limitions of my gym, but its been working for me.
    If it works for you, it works for you.