Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Can I build muscle mass through diet WITHOUT working out?

I developed a bad back injury 4 months ago (Slipped disc), and I'm going therapy, having treatments...etc

I can't workout AT ALL right now, I lost massive amount of weight, and looking forward to gain some back through diet and without working out until I finish my treatment and getting back to the gym again.

So is it possible to do so by eating on a 200 calories surplus? or does it require muscle contraction etc? keep in mind I can't even do home exercises for now whatsoever.

Would love to build back a solid base until I can lift again in a month or 2.

Thanks,
    D
    “One of the greatest experiences in life is achieving personal goals that others said would be, ‘impossible to attain.’ Be proud of your success and share your story with others.” -Robert Cheeke

Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lots of people notice leaning out and adding some muscle mass when eating a very high fat diet. I just got an IR sauna and was reading that it boosts growth hormone significantly for a few hours after using it. Apparently injured athletes use saunas to help maintain their muscle mass when they can't work out. Might be worth trying if you have access to a sauna.
    …we have not spent the last 65 million or so years finely honing our physiology to watch Oprah. Like it or not, we are the product of a very long process of adaptation to a harsh physical existence, and the past couple centuries of comparative ease and plenty are not enough time to change our genome. We humans are at our best when our existence mirrors, or at least simulates, the one we are still genetically adapted to live. And that is the purpose of exercise. - Mark Rippetoe

cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dest0 View Post
    I developed a bad back injury 4 months ago (Slipped disc), and I'm going therapy, having treatments...etc

I can't workout AT ALL right now, I lost massive amount of weight, and looking forward to gain some back through diet and without working out until I finish my treatment and getting back to the gym again.

So is it possible to do so by eating on a 200 calories surplus? or does it require muscle contraction etc? keep in mind I can't even do home exercises for now whatsoever.

Thanks,
    D

I'm not sure if you won't be able to build any, literally speaking, but it will be primarily fat I'm pretty sure.

Muscle mass is not a priority for your body, it would rather store adipose tissue as energy reserves. As well, if you consider the concept of hypertrophy, I don't see how the muscles would grow without the consistent addition of stress on them.

I may be wrong, I'm just thinking logically, so someone please correct me if I am.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Someone who is emaciated and, thereafter cures the underlying malnutrition can expect to regain lean body mass and adiposity lost to malnutrition even sans formalized exercise.

In other words, you'd likely return to baseline for someone of your height simply by consuming a proper diet.

VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jesse_l_g View Post
    Lots of people notice leaning out and adding some muscle mass when eating a very high fat diet. I just got an IR sauna and was reading that it boosts growth hormone significantly for a few hours after using it. Apparently injured athletes use saunas to help maintain their muscle mass when they can't work out. Might be worth trying if you have access to a sauna.
    That sounds quite far fetched...not that I don't believe you but...quite far fetched....

In for others answers, want to hear what others say.
    "Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today, Hope for Tomorrow"

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Whenever you gain weight, some of it will be muscle mass - it's just that without training a much greater proportion will be fat. Obese people actually carry quite a high LBM but I'm guessing this is not the look you are after?

Location: Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
    LordWolF will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordWolF will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordWolF will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordWolF will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordWolF will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordWolF will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordWolF will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordWolF will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordWolF will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordWolF will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordWolF will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thanks,
    D
    I try to maintain if i were you, but i believe you need to lift to make new muscle, correct me if i am wrong.

VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Someone who is emaciated and, thereafter cures the underlying malnutrition can expect to regain lean body mass and adiposity lost to malnutrition even sans formalized exercise.

In other words, you'd likely return to baseline for someone of your height simply by consuming a proper diet.
    }

What about if you aren't emaciated.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Thanks,
    D
    The only thing that will cause muscle to get bigger/stronger is progressive increase in resistance.

A calorie surplus combined with no exercise will cause you to get fatter.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cls91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Jesse_l_g View Post
    What about building muscle mass, not maintaining?

How about for someone whose not emaciated, same situation still hold or would excess energy just be stored as adipose tissue?

edit: wow this thread is moving quick lol

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by cls91 View Post
    How about for someone whose not emaciated, same situation still hold or would excess energy just be stored as adipose tissue?l
    Increased weight correlates with increased lean body mass and increased adiposity, though not at a 1:1 ratio of course.

In fact, many obese people, especially morbidly obese folks, who never lift a weight will carry more lean body mass, height adjusted, than lean folks who have been lifting weight properly for many years.

so many different thoughts on this...no one seems to have one definite answer.

Can anyone justify their viewpoint with citations?

dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Appreciate the quick and detailed responses guys.

When I got injured, I was depressed, and in those 4 months I lost nearly ALL my gains, so I can't maintain as some of you suggested.

I think I might be able to workout again in 2 months, but I'm down to 160 pounds now, I want to be at least 170, and I don't want all those 10 pounds to be fat of course, otherwise it's not worth it.

From my understanding through your comments I won't be able to, it's just the normal increase of muscle/fat of a normal person..right?

Thanks guys
    “One of the greatest experiences in life is achieving personal goals that others said would be, ‘impossible to attain.’ Be proud of your success and share your story with others.” -Robert Cheeke

Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Appreciate the quick and detailed responses guys.

When I got injured, I was depressed, and in those 4 months I lost nearly ALL my gains, so I can't maintain as some of you suggested.

I think I might be able to workout again in 2 months, but I'm down to 160 pounds now, I want to be at least 170, and I don't want all those 10 pounds to be fat of course, otherwise it's not worth it.

From my understanding through your comments I won't be able to, it's just the normal increase of muscle/fat of a normal person..right?

Thanks guys
    Mind is blown at people saying you can build any at all.

But op can you do absolutely nothing? Not even machines?

Sorry to hear man.
    One man has enthusiasm for 30 minutes, another for 30 days, but it is the man who has it for 30 years who makes a success of his life.

My journey from 358lbs started January of 2012.

1. Trust yourself 2. Break some rules 3. Don't be afraid to fail 4. Ignore the naysayers 5. Work like hell 6. Give something back |

Originally Posted by Celtic8Laoch View Post
    Mind is blown at people saying you can build any at all..
    I hope you understand that people that do not exercise have muscle mass too. And that the amount of muscle mass they have correlates to the amount of bodyweight they carry, right?

Now do you start to understand?

I appreciate the responses you guys have given me.

I will just have to hit my TDEE for now, and hopefully get back to the gym ASAP.

Thanks again.

Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I hope you understand that people that do not exercise have muscle mass too. And that the amount of muscle mass they have correlates to the amount of bodyweight they carry, right?

Now do you start to understand?
    I know everyone has muscle mass and heavier individuals would have more LBM predominately. What I dont understand is how you can increase LBM without stimulus ie exercising? I can just see him getting fat.
    Last edited by Celtic8Laoch; 03-08-2014 at 05:09 AM.
    One man has enthusiasm for 30 minutes, another for 30 days, but it is the man who has it for 30 years who makes a success of his life.

1. Trust yourself 2. Break some rules 3. Don't be afraid to fail 4. Ignore the naysayers 5. Work like hell 6. Give something back |

sanshiros has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanshiros has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanshiros has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanshiros has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanshiros has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanshiros has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanshiros has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanshiros has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanshiros has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanshiros has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanshiros has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can't you just sit on your butt and do biceps ? Or leg extention, or arms extention with weights while lying down ? or light machine bench press while lying down on it ? or triceps kick back with light weight, swimming maybe with proper technique to help your back ? What do you mean you cannot train at all. This is redicules. So you can only walk around and that's it ? Then DIE !

Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I know everyone has muscle mass. What I dont understand is how you can increase it without stimulus ie exercising?

Just carrying yourself is a stimulus, especially when you weight 300lbs or more.

Originally Posted by Follix View Post
    Just carrying yourself is a stimulus, especially when you weight 300lbs or more.
    So the suggestion to op's problem is to put on fat and have it act as a stimulus?

Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So the suggestion to op's problem is to put on fat and have it act as a stimulus?
    Not at all, the point is that by living you are always putting some kind of stimulus on your muscle, it's just relative. Off course it's not lifting heavy weights so not optimal.

I used to weigh 300lbs. Former300lber's Avatar
    Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The answer is yes, eating in a surplus is anabolic in it self, however any lean mass gained would be so insignificant you wouldn't even notice, especially considering you'd be packing on far more adipose tissue then anything.

Take for example, someone who is "skinny fat", this is the result of a small surplus over a prolonged time without any actual physical training.
    "The reason why we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind the scenes with everyone else's highlight reel."

naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    The only thing that will cause muscle to get bigger/stronger is progressive increase in resistance.

A calorie surplus combined with no exercise will cause you to get fatter.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^
    Free Agent

Instagram.com/naturalguy2.0

Originally Posted by Former300lber View Post
    The answer is yes, eating in a surplus is anabolic in it self, however any lean mass gained would be so insignificant you wouldn't even notice, especially considering you'd be packing on far more adipose tissue then anything.

Take for example, someone who is "skinny fat", this is the result of a small surplus over a prolonged time without any actual physical training.
    Thats exactly my thoughts.

Originally Posted by sanshiros View Post
    Can't you just sit on your butt and do biceps ? Or leg extention, or arms extention with weights while lying down ? or light machine bench press while lying down on it ? or triceps kick back with light weight, swimming maybe with proper technique to help your back ? What do you mean you cannot train at all. This is redicules. So you can only walk around and that's it ? Then DIE !
    I can't do ANY strengthening exercises for the time being no, my back, left butt cheek are utterly spasmed because when I got injuried I stopped working out all of a sudden from lifting really heavy to nothing (or could be for a different reason my doctor said), so until I get better I don't want my body to be worse..

Originally Posted by Follix View Post
    lol..I disagree for so many reasons

Thanks, I actually agree with you..I don't think there's a way out of it now except to lose weight and start all over again when the pain is over

Originally Posted by naturalguy View Post
    This ^^^^^^^^^^
    Thanks for your input NG, hope all is well

naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thanks for your input NG, hope all is well
    Anytime brother, hope you heal up quick
    Free Agent

Instagram.com/naturalguy2.0

mrmr200 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrmr200 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrmr200 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrmr200 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrmr200 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrmr200 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrmr200 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrmr200 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrmr200 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrmr200 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrmr200 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yap , you could try if you feel like you are getting fat or more weight then what you want then go lower withe your calories intake

I think Former's answer is spot on.

Although regarding "Skinny Fat"...I believe that is actually due not having a diet in sufficient macronutrients (proteins and fats) more than anything else.

Also op its easier to retain muscle in maintenance or a slight surplus than eating in a deficit so keep that in mind also.

Also op its easier to retain muscle in maintenance or a slight surplus than eating in a deficit so keep that in mind also.
    my current problem isn't about retaining muscle, it's about MAKING muscle.

When I got injured, I got depressed, stopped eating properly (due to lack of appetite as well) so I lost nearly everything I made..so I wanted to gain some back for when I get back to the gym