xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Bad Posture Causing Injuries

I sit at a desk for 6-8 hours everyday.

I have bad posture: My shoulder blades stick out (winged scapula), and my shoulders hunch forward. My head is tilted forward.

I feel better when I am in the "yawning position": Arching my back, while squeezing shoulder blades together. I feel better when I grab the sides of a doorway, and stretch my chest out (arms move behind back). I feel better when doing cleans.

Which muscles do cleans work? Specifically, the scoop part of the clean? Are there isolation exercises that target these muscles?

I feel that my bad posture is causing me pain in my shoulder, as I go heavier in my lifts. I feel pain when I low-bar squat, OHP, BBR, and Incline Bench.

Thank you for your help.

TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000)
    deadlift and squat a lot! don't go too heavy that it compromises your form. Sounds like you need to strengthen your core too.

Originally Posted by xprince23x View Post

I have bad posture: My shoulder blades stick out (winged scapula), and my shoulders hunch forward. My head is tilted forward.

I feel better when I am in the "yawning position": Arching my back, while squeezing shoulder blades together. I feel better when I grab the sides of a doorway, and stretch my chest out (arms move behind back). I feel better when doing cleans.

Which muscles do cleans work? Specifically, the scoop part of the clean? Are there isolation exercises that target these muscles?

I feel that my bad posture is causing me pain in my shoulder, as I go heavier in my lifts. I feel pain when I low-bar squat, OHP, BBR, and Incline Bench.

Thank you for your help.

FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by xprince23x View Post

Thank you for your help.
    If you sit at a desk 6-8 hours a day, it is essential that you get up every now and then to take a break - at least five minutes an hour. Also, get yourself one of these:

It helps maintain the natural curve of your spine even when sitting. Try and arrange your workstation so you sit like this:

That will help avoid hunching forwards and such like.

I have one of these attached to my chair and since I got it, I have had zero arm or shoulder strain.

Every chair should come with one in my opinion. It means that your mousing hand never has to stretch, causing arm and shoulder strain.

Definitely work on your squats and deads in the gym, as well as core strengthening as already mentioned.
    Cut done with - basically unsuccessful first bulk as I did put on a lot of fat to go with the little muscle I added. I know what I did wrong first time round and won't be repeating it. Looking forwards to being able to eat a few hundred more calories!! At least I know I can cut fat efficiently: went from 143lbs to 120lbs and from 35in to 29in waist.

jmez70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmez70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmez70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmez70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmez70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmez70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmez70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmez70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmez70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmez70 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmez70 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good advice. I always had bad posture, which I believe does set a person up for a lot of pain and discomfort. I finally got tired of that feeling, and started on stretching more, strengthening my core and back muscles, and correcting my posture. I feel a hell of a lot better these days. A lot of credit goes to the advice given here. Good luck.

xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) xprince23x is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Thanks guys. I will definitely look into the Ergo Nav for my chair.

I'm following the Stronglifts program. It calls for 1x5 deadlift, 1-2 times per week. Every set is meant to be a PR.

My follow-up question: When I OHP, I feel it a lot in my lower back. Is this normal, or is it again due to my bad posture? Maybe I'm leaning too far back? It kinda feels like my lower spine might snap, lol.

Is this because my lower back is stronger than my abs, causing me to lean back instead of standing straight?

I'm thinking of switching to seated military press.

Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    What sort of shoes are you doing OHP in? I find that if I try any sort of heavy lift in trainers or running shoes, I lean back. Make sure you're wearing flat soled shoes without cushioning.
    Cut done with - basically unsuccessful first bulk as I did put on a lot of fat to go with the little muscle I added. I know what I did wrong first time round and won't be repeating it. Looking forwards to being able to eat a few hundred more calories!! At least I know I can cut fat efficiently: went from 143lbs to 120lbs and from 35in to 29in waist.

Originally Posted by FitnessFan76 View Post
    What sort of shoes are you doing OHP in? I find that if I try any sort of heavy lift in trainers or running shoes, I lean back. Make sure you're wearing flat soled shoes without cushioning.
    I go barefoot in all my lifts, except squats.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You mainly just need to learn how to use good posture. You have "trained" your body to use bad posture because you've spent so long using it. Now those neural pathways need to be "retrained" to use good posture. All this involves is actively using good posture from now on. Your muscles are not too weak to sit and stand up straight, you've just made a habit of not doing so.

TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000) TheMadPhysicist is a complete loser! (-2000)
    This is very true and refreshing to hear!! I'm too guilty of bad habits! Well put!!

Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    You mainly just need to learn how to use good posture. You have "trained" your body to use bad posture because you've spent so long using it. Now those neural pathways need to be "retrained" to use good posture. All this involves is actively using good posture from now on. Your muscles are not too weak to sit and stand up straight, you've just made a habit of not doing so.