MeatHead_14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cutting = loss of strength ?

Up to about 3 weeks ago, my main carb consumption came primarily from oats, whole wheat bread, and pasta (noodles). However in an attempt to cut up for the spring i have exchanged the pasta forbrown rice, which in turn cut my total carbs by about 30 - 50%. As of lately i have been really struggling though my workouts, and my heavy sets seem to be lagging. Is this expected as carbs are cut or am i creating a mental block. I was a little sick last week, but i really thought i would have all my strength back by now.
    Appreciate the input,
    Dan
    Bench : 330 x 1
    Squat : 435 x 5
    Dead Lift : 405 x 5

"Only time will tell if it was time well spent"

Skull Crusher Chris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Skull Crusher Chris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Skull Crusher Chris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Skull Crusher Chris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Skull Crusher Chris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Skull Crusher Chris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Skull Crusher Chris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Skull Crusher Chris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Skull Crusher Chris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Skull Crusher Chris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Skull Crusher Chris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MeatHead_14 View Post
    Up to about 3 weeks ago, my main carb consumption came primarily from oats, whole wheat bread, and pasta (noodles). However in an attempt to cut up for the spring i have exchanged the pasta forbrown rice, which in turn cut my total carbs by about 30 - 50%. As of lately i have been really struggling though my workouts, and my heavy sets seem to be lagging. Is this expected as carbs are cut or am i creating a mental block. I was a little sick last week, but i really thought i would have all my strength back by now.
    Appreciate the input,
    Dan
    carbs are a major energy source for the body so it is possible that that might have effected you. wait till your next workout when you arent sick and see how you feel. if still the same way then it might be the lowering of the carbs
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cutting carbs (and cutting in general) will usually result in strength decreases...

A few solutions:
    1/ add a pre/during workout carb/protein mix [2-3:1] to boost energy and maintain intensity eg: dextrose/ gatorade or candy as the carb source + whey as the protein.

2/ cut the volume of your workouts back (cutting on high volume workouts usually = not sensible)

3/ cycle your carbs

But.... well... You might also want to ask yourself if your current plan is working? Cutting carbs by 30-50% is a little 'drastic'... are you sure you needed to do that? [carb-a-pohobia is ramp in the bb community.... and it is not usually needed.... you can/will/do cut on carbs... and often the results can be better for it....]

jakkrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakkrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakkrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakkrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakkrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakkrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakkrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakkrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakkrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakkrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakkrk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Im cutting, or at least I am trying to cut ...My diet is low with now, but my strength hasn't decreased.

Check my log to see but my strength isn't gone.

Just thought I would share.

BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MeatHead_14 View Post
    Appreciate the input,
    Dan
    Ultimately, when you decrease your calories you are going to see a decrease in strength. I wouldn't worry about it, but maybe give yourself a refeed once a week just to keep the body guessing.
    Top Secret Nutrition
    Vice President of Sales
    Alex@TopSecretNutrition.com

Contest Prep Coach
    Workout and Nutrition Programs
    AlexBigStew@gmail.com

Bobisnew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobisnew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobisnew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobisnew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobisnew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobisnew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    your only weaker becuase you decreased the amt of regularly carbs you eat, which is what your body uses, gylcogen, for energy. Unless you cut cals to fast you should be fine. The whole battle in cutting is keeping your strength (muscle) while losing fat...good luck