Lirwin3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lirwin3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lirwin3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lirwin3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lirwin3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lirwin3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Having trouble finding my maintenance calories, am I eating enough?

I started lean bulking around 3 weeks ago, at 165 lbs. On day 1 I started taking creatine and I jumped to 170 practically overnight from the water weight. Since then I’ve been eating 2500 calories a day (about +300 over maintenance) with heavy lifting 3 days a week (completely sedentary other than that). My problem is, it’s pretty much impossible to track my maintenance calories because water weight fluctuates my weight anywhere from 168lbs to 174lbs day to day. So does 2500 seem like generally a good number for a 5’11 male of my weight? Or should I try increasing it?

aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Lirwin3 View Post
    I started lean bulking around 3 weeks ago, at 165 lbs. On day 1 I started taking creatine and I jumped to 170 practically overnight from the water weight. Since then I’ve been eating 2500 calories a day (about +300 over maintenance) with heavy lifting 3 days a week (completely sedentary other than that). My problem is, it’s pretty much impossible to track my maintenance calories because water weight fluctuates my weight anywhere from 168lbs to 174lbs day to day. So does 2500 seem like generally a good number for a 5’11 male of my weight? Or should I try increasing it?
    You look for general trends, new highs and new lows.

That being said, I'm 5'7" 145 and I eat 3500 calories a day. I'd say bump it.
    Last edited by aitchfourex; 03-04-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000) Chango99 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Weigh yourself under the same conditions like Sunday morning after coffee and taking a piss/****, naked.

And no 2500 calories seems borderline maintenance.

Lirwin3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lirwin3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lirwin3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lirwin3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lirwin3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lirwin3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks guys, my problem has been that when using the TDEE calculators online I'm not sure if lifting should count as activity. I've heard so many different answers to this question, that I just decided I'd go +300 over my "sedentary" number, and then adjust week-to-week. But the water weight jumps are really killing that plan. But I guess eating too much until I find maintenance is better than eating too little at this point though, so I'll bump it up to 2800 or so and see what happens.

aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aitchfourex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks guys, my problem has been that when using the TDEE calculators online I'm not sure if lifting should count as activity. I've heard so many different answers to this question, that I just decided I'd go +300 over my "sedentary" number, and then adjust week-to-week. But the water weight jumps are really killing that plan. But I guess eating too much until I find maintenance is better than eating too little at this point though, so I'll bump it up to 2800 or so and see what happens.
    If you can't go by numbers, then stop. Go by the mirror and what you're lifting in the gym. You're stressing yourself over the water weight. And yes, you eat back what you burn from lifting.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    At only 3 weeks in, you haven't given things a chance to settle down yet, but even at that, 2500 is probably a little low. If you want to move up to 2800, go ahead, but then stick with that for at least another 3-4 weeks before considering any more changes.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by aitchfourex View Post
    You're stressing yourself over the water weight.
    Yeah, I know. I lost a lot of weight very recently (over 130lbs) after being fat all my life, and bulking has been taking an unexpected mental toll. The thought of getting fat again has me worrying over every little thing.