handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100)

What would you add to this workout

Squat 5x5
    Rows 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    DB Shrugs 3X35
    DB over head press 4 X 7

NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NGV22 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i would swap shrugs with either stiff leg deads or romanian deads

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I would do an existing 5x5 routine that has deadlifts in the rotation.

I would also do BB shrugs, not DB shrugs - since you can use a more meaningful weight that way.

handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100) handegg is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I would do an existing 5x5 routine that has deadlifts in the rotation.

I would also do BB shrugs, not DB shrugs - since you can use a more meaningful weight that way.
    whats wrong with this workout?

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by handegg View Post
    whats wrong with this workout?
    You are re-inventing the wheel, poorly.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    You are re-inventing the wheel, poorly.
    I've been seeing some good results, but why poorly can u explain what it's missing?

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    How often do you add weight, what do you do for a stall?

You have no exercises for the lower back or hamstrings and are wasting time doing a trap isolation exercise.

In only five exercises you are doing things you don't need to and you have completely ignored some very important things.

How often do you add weight, what do you do for a stall?

You have no exercises for the lower back or hamstrings and are wasting time doing a trap isolation exercise.

In only five exercises you are doing things you don't need to and you have completely ignored some very important things.
    i add weight every week, when I stall i work on that weight until I am able to add weight again. due to a back injury i can not deadlift, why should I remove the shrugs? im confused

You know shrugs load your spine in exactly the same way as deadlifts right?

If your back is to injured to deadlift you probably shouldn't squat either.

What does your doctor say?

You know shrugs load your spine in exactly the same way as deadlifts right?

If your back is to injured to deadlift you probably shouldn't squat either.

What does your doctor say?
    he just said to stay away from those kind of lifts. (deadlifts) i'm just disappointed you called this a poor workout when I have been seeing results from it. is there anything I should add other than deadlifts to make this a less poor workout
    Last edited by handegg; 03-04-2014 at 05:40 PM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    They are all good exercises but that doesn't really constitute a program. Deadlifts are a very similar movement to back squats BTW - unless your doctor is an experienced lifter, he doesn't know what he is talking about. Most doctors don't and will just tell you not to do the thing that hurts. I am not saying you should train through pain but I am saying that the only way to make a weak vulnerable muscle strong and resilient it to train it. You can start doing this with high reps and low resistance long before it is fully repaired if you are careful.

aMintGram will become famous soon enough. (+50) aMintGram will become famous soon enough. (+50) aMintGram will become famous soon enough. (+50) aMintGram will become famous soon enough. (+50) aMintGram will become famous soon enough. (+50) aMintGram will become famous soon enough. (+50) aMintGram will become famous soon enough. (+50) aMintGram will become famous soon enough. (+50) aMintGram will become famous soon enough. (+50) aMintGram will become famous soon enough. (+50) aMintGram will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    he just said to stay away from those kind of lifts. (deadlifts) i'm just disappointed you called this a poor workout when I have been seeing results from it. is there anything I should add other than deadlifts to make this a less poor workout
    You'll improve anything if you do it consistently. You would make more progress by altering it.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    i'm just disappointed you called this a poor workout when I have been seeing results from it.
    Just because it works doesn't mean it is good. You could do an absolutely TERRIBLE routine and still see results when you are new to lifting. Your body's natural response to exercise is to grow.

With that said, you can be using your time more efficiently. There are sticky threads that explain why this routine is poor. In general you'd be best off reading all the stickies in each subforum before posting in it. They answer common questions and cover topics that people get tired of discussing.

Your thread is no different than most other critique my program threads. Without reading a single thing, I could respond with "you'd be better off just running a proven routine" and I'd be right probably 19 out of 20 threads, especially with beginners.

Don't get your feeling hurt as this is an assumption. From the way you talk it doesn't sound like you've been to the doctor. When I'm injured I know exactly what the issue is, how to fix it and what to avoid after leaving the dr and sometimes before the apt. You are talking extremely vaguely about your back like you have no clue what the deal is. Stop making excuses and get as much medical attention as needed to fix the issue.

Edit: An OP's thread complaining about the current thread is always fun to read http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1214827401
    Last edited by davisj3537; 03-05-2014 at 02:09 AM.
    Experience, not just theory

LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    They are all good exercises but that doesn't really constitute a program. Deadlifts are a very similar movement to back squats BTW - unless your doctor is an experienced lifter, he doesn't know what he is talking about. Most doctors don't and will just tell you not to do the thing that hurts. I am not saying you should train through pain but I am saying that the only way to make a weak vulnerable muscle strong and resilient it to train it. You can start doing this with high reps and low resistance long before it is fully repaired if you are careful.
    "Deadlifts are a very similar movement to back squats BTW" No they're not.
    You give something up for everything you gain

Originally Posted by LostLlama View Post
    Extension of the hip and knee? Different emphasis certainly.

The point is that they both stress lower back. I have tweaked my lower back more often doing squats if anything - probably because of the inertia of the weight held at shoulder height.

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LostLlama View Post
    The way I do them they are. When the mod asked where OP's hamstring and low back movements are, I immediately though 'squats'.

Squats work my glutes, hamstrings, and low back way more than they work my quads, but that's because I've adopted low bar.

LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LostLlama has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Extension of the hip and knee? Different emphasis certainly.

The point is that they both stress lower back. I have tweaked my lower back more often doing squats if anything - probably because of the inertia of the weight held at shoulder height.
    Yes, sir. Hinge movement versus flex movement. Very different not only in feel but also in application. Word?
    Last edited by LostLlama; 03-07-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added "ly"
    You give something up for everything you gain