johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000)

DB Bench progressing, BB Bench stalled - Is this normal

Let me start by saying that I am in the middle of a cut, so I don't expect much, but everything is still progressing up except my barbell bench press. I have been at 205 for 3-4 reps for a couple of weeks now. Saturday I had a chest/back workout and was very dissapointed that my bench was still at 205 (and that is my first excersize after warming up), after doing my all my BB work, I moved on to the dumbbell work...I was already pretty tired by then, but I put in 3 set of DB press and hit 70x8 for my 3rd set (I'm usually hitting 4-5 reps here) - I got so pumped by that I decided to do another set with the 75s and I pushed out 4 solid presses.

Is this normal? Am I expecting too much on a cut (its my first real cut) or should I just be happy that some things are still increasing (and not decreasing)?

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by johnmackay View Post
    Let me start by saying that I am in the middle of a cut, so I don't expect much, but everything is still progressing up except my barbell bench press. I have been at 205 for 3-4 reps for a couple of weeks now. Saturday I had a chest/back workout and was very dissapointed that my bench was still at 205 (and that is my first excersize after warming up), after doing my all my BB work, I moved on to the dumbbell work...I was already pretty tired by then, but I put in 3 set of DB press and hit 70x8 for my 3rd set (I'm usually hitting 4-5 reps here) - I got so pumped by that I decided to do another set with the 75s and I pushed out 4 solid presses.

Is this normal? Am I expecting too much on a cut (its my first real cut) or should I just be happy that some things are still increasing (and not decreasing)?
    I would be happy with this. I found on my cut last year, my bench dropped pretty much exactly how much weight I lost. My bench was the only lift that did this though. I lost 50 lbs of body weight though, unsure how much u are planning to cut.

johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000) johnmackay is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by raynerd View Post
    I would be happy with this. I found on my cut last year, my bench dropped pretty much exactly how much weight I lost. My bench was the only lift that did this though. I lost 50 lbs of body weight though, unsure how much u are planning to cut.
    Thanks, I appreciate the quick response...I don't have a number in mind (in lbs), but I plan on cutting until my abs are ripped and the "love handles" in the back are totally gone. I know this may take some time and since I am a newcomer to lifting I am sure the gains that I am getting are newbie gains, but I will take what I can get.

SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000)
    There was a time a few weeks ago where my bench press also stalled. I was confused because I was continuing to make chest and tricep strength gains on isolation movements on those body parts. Since bench press requires much more effort on the CNS, I reasoned that it might be the source of my problem. I'd been training very intensely for a few months. Anyways, I de-loaded for about a week and a half (only trained traps and biceps), and to my joy was able to push out 1-2 extra reps on bench sets when I came back to them.
    You can spend days, weeks or even months analyzing a situation - just trying to put the pieces together. Justifying what you should've and could've done, and what would've happened ... or you can leave the pieces on the floor and move on.

tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    your arms, shoulders and abs don't look much like a newbie! Nice work!

Originally Posted by tkdnj View Post
    your arms, shoulders and abs don't look much like a newbie! Nice work!
    You have no idea how much I appreciate that! Coming from where I was, I still cannot believe this is me!

I have put in a tremendous amount of work over the last year but most specifically last 6 months and I guess my old sports body (from 20 years ago) is really wanting to come out

Originally Posted by SuperZar View Post
    There was a time a few weeks ago where my bench press also stalled. I was confused because I was continuing to make chest and tricep strength gains on isolation movements on those body parts. Since bench press requires much more effort on the CNS, I reasoned that it might be the source of my problem. I'd been training very intensely for a few months. Anyways, I de-loaded for about a week and a half (only trained traps and biceps), and to my joy was able to push out 1-2 extra reps on bench sets when I came back to them.
    I really had not thought about that and I may have over trained my poor chest over the last few weeks looking for that next rep or two...might be time to give it a rest for a minute...I did hammer my bis and tris today and that felt great. Tomorrow is normally another chest day, but I may rethink that now.

SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000) SuperZar is just really nice. (+1000)
    I really had not thought about that and I may have over trained my poor chest over the last few weeks looking for that next rep or two...might be time to give it a rest for a minute...I did hammer my bis and tris today and that felt great. Tomorrow is normally another chest day, but I may rethink that now.
    Actually, another thought might be that if you give your triceps a really good pounding on Monday, it may be difficult to progress your bench press on Tuesday because your triceps may not have fully recovered yet.
    You can spend days, weeks or even months analyzing a situation - just trying to put the pieces together. Justifying what you should've and could've done, and what would've happened ... or you can leave the pieces on the floor and move on.

Actually, another thought might be that if you give your triceps a really good pounding on Monday, it may be difficult to progress your bench press on Tuesday because your triceps may not have fully recovered yet.
    I don't normally do bi/tri on mondays...I was still feeling beat up from friday and saturdays workout (even with sunday off) so I switched things up this week...sounds like I need to switch up the rest of the week to and the more I think about it, the more I agree its time to give the chest a break.

Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000) Stalldad is just really nice. (+1000)
    I struggle to gain or maintain on bench during a cut. The other day I was reading an article by a powerlifting trainer (sorry, can't remember where the article was or by whom), but he mentioned that the bench press is the most sensitive of the lifts to changes in body weight.

Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would change up a little. If you are working on your BB flat bench, try not doing another similar movement such as flat DB press. Replace with incline DB press.

What has made a difference for me on bench press, is to have a heavier low-rep day with a full chest workout, like on Mondays Then, have a high-rep flat bench-only day on Thursday. After warming up well, put about 65% of your current max and rep out to failure for two to three sets, only. No more chest for that week.

If you keep up a good diet, with this, you are training two general types of skeletal muscle fibers: slow-twitch (type I) and fast-twitch (type II). Look up the difference. By working both over a period of a week at a time, you will gradually build a stronger foundation and overall more strength.

No guarantee, but it works for me.
    Last edited by Phattso; 03-03-2014 at 07:08 PM.

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Stalldad View Post
    I struggle to gain or maintain on bench during a cut. The other day I was reading an article by a powerlifting trainer (sorry, can't remember where the article was or by whom), but he mentioned that the bench press is the most sensitive of the lifts to changes in body weight.
    Definitely agree with this. Very surprised how much I lost on bench on my cut last year.

Originally Posted by Phattso View Post
    I would change up a little. If you are working on your BB flat bench, try not doing another similar movement such as flat DB press. Replace with incline DB press.
    Good tip too. After my de-load, I continued to make progress over the next couple of weeks but it was a crawl. I had been doing all incline benching up to then and decided to go with flat just for the heck of it to spice things up. Well my flat bench has been increasing by at least 2 reps per week and I keep adding weight. I've decided to run with this for now while the going is good and if it stalls again, de-load and switch back to incline. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens

nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000)
    Similar issue. Cutting down and seems that the bench was suffering so I started to rotate my chest exercises between the following .. mind you no specific day just how it falls in the work out:
    All Dumbbell work - Flat then Incline ... for flat I go heavy. Usually hitting my 4th set for 6 to 8 at 115-120lbs. Inclines I do 4 sets of 8-10 usually stopping around 90-100lbs.
    All Dumbbell work - Incline the flat ... for incline go heavy for 4 sets topping around 110-115lbs. Flats I do 8-10 usually stopping around 100-110lbs.
    Split barbell/dumbbell ... Flat barbell 3 sets 8-10 ... Incline dumbbell 4 8-10 ... for both of these normally going with a lighter weight.
    Opposite of last barbell incline/dumbbell flat same weights etc
    All barbell .... 4 sets finishing around 275 on flat if I don't have a spotter for 8-10 first 3 sets and last set around 6-8. Incline ... finish a little over 225 to 245 depending on spotter and push out the same as barbell.

For the longest time was stuck at 225 and finally after a couple of months was topping out at 315. It works for me. And no I do not do it for muscle confusion but again for me it works.

With in each chest routine I always work in wide chest both flat and with a slight incline. I always work in flies with in each routine...either on cable or dumbbells both flat and incline...

that is mine in a nut shell.

Originally Posted by Phattso View Post

What has made a difference for me on bench press, is to have a heavier low-rep day with a full chest workout, like on Mondays Then, have a high-rep flat bench-only day on Thursday. After warming up well, put about 65% of your current max and re out to failure for two to three sets, only. No more chest for that week.

If you keep up a good diet, with this, you are training two general types of skeletal muscle fibers: slow-twitch (type I) and fast-twitch (type II). Look up the difference. By working both over a period of a week at a time, you will gradually build a stronger foundation and overall more strength.

No guarantee, but it works for me.
    It is possible that I am do just way too much...I work chest/back twice a week. My saturday workouts I have time, so I typically do:
    Flat BB
    Incline BB
    Flat DB
    DB Incline Rows
    Incline DB
    Decline DB

I do this with a back exercise in between each chest exercise, I then take the next day off (sundays).

My other Chest day is not as intense as I only have my lunch hour on tuesdays and it is at my work gym that does not have a flat BB bench so I use the smith machine for the flat BB:

Flat BB
    Incline DB
    Incline DB Rows
    Decline DB

Again, this is with a back exercise between each.

All exercises are 3 sets (with 2 and 3 to failure) except flat bench: 5 sets, but 1st and last sets are warmup weight with 3 and 4 to failure.

I am a novice and don't have many people to talk to in the gym(s) I go to so maybe I am over-training a bit, but I cannot believe the gains I have gotten in only 6-7 months of weight training.

nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000)
    two a weeks are not a bad thing for lagging body parts. usually 48 hours rest should be ok. Also have you thought about not working chest and back together? Again just my thoughts and what works for ... and from some reading ... working to large body parts on the same day ... one or the other may start to lag in strength gains. Even working your chest you incorporating some of your back muscle - (stabilizing) muscles: scapular stabilizers (serratus anterior, middle and inferior trapezius). Just a thought.

Originally Posted by nexgensupps View Post
    Similar issue. Cutting down and seems that the bench was suffering so I started to rotate my chest exercises between the following .. mind you no specific day just how it falls in the work out:
    All Dumbbell work - Flat then Incline ... for flat I go heavy. Usually hitting my 4th set for 6 to 8 at 115-120lbs. Inclines I do 4 sets of 8-10 usually stopping around 90-100lbs.
    All Dumbbell work - Incline the flat ... for incline go heavy for 4 sets topping around 110-115lbs. Flats I do 8-10 usually stopping around 100-110lbs.
    Split barbell/dumbbell ... Flat barbell 3 sets 8-10 ... Incline dumbbell 4 8-10 ... for both of these normally going with a lighter weight.
    Opposite of last barbell incline/dumbbell flat same weights etc
    All barbell .... 4 sets finishing around 275 on flat if I don't have a spotter for 8-10 first 3 sets and last set around 6-8. Incline ... finish a little over 225 to 245 depending on spotter and push out the same as barbell.

For the longest time was stuck at 225 and finally after a couple of months was topping out at 315. It works for me. And no I do not do it for muscle confusion but again for me it works.

With in each chest routine I always work in wide chest both flat and with a slight incline. I always work in flies with in each routine...either on cable or dumbbells both flat and incline...

that is mine in a nut shell.
    Great advice...After my chest deload/break, I think I really need to change things up - I have been doing the exact same routine (for the most part) for a few months now and after reading your post I have been inspired to shake things up - hopefully I can see some gains even remotely similar to yours - very impressive!

Originally Posted by nexgensupps View Post
    two a weeks are not a bad thing for lagging body parts. usually 48 hours rest should be ok. Also have you thought about not working chest and back together? Again just my thoughts and what works for ... and from some reading ... working to large body parts on the same day ... one or the other may start to lag in strength gains. Even working your chest you incorporating some of your back muscle - (stabilizing) muscles: scapular stabilizers (serratus anterior, middle and inferior trapezius). Just a thought.
    I have been thinking about this for some time now and would love a chest only day, but have not yet figured out how to separate the workouts (with the other workouts I currently do/want to do) and have a proper break between them all...I guess I just need to spend a little more time thinking about coming up with a better weekly routine that I am comfortable with

Great advice...After my chest deload/break, I think I really need to change things up - I have been doing the exact same routine (for the most part) for a few months now and after reading your post I have been inspired to shake things up - hopefully I can see some gains even remotely similar to yours - very impressive!
    In August I was topping out on DB work for bench around 90s... I always try to push that extra 5lbs each work out. And not moving up on that last set till i could push 8 to 10 with weight. I am stuck at 125 now for a few reps at the end of my work out. Till I can hit 125 with out a lift and doing 10 resp wont move up. But that is a me thing.

I have been thinking about this for some time now and would love a chest only day, but have not yet figured out how to separate the workouts (with the other workouts I currently do/want to do) and have a proper break between them all...I guess I just need to spend a little more time thinking about coming up with a better weekly routine that I am comfortable with
    Here is a basic four day split:
    Chest/Bis
    Legs/calves
    Back/Tris
    Shoulders/Calves

JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    When I stall ( 10-12 weeks ) I've been deloading, then change rep numbers...... so far it's worked good. The change makes it more enjoyable too.

The3Bar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The3Bar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The3Bar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The3Bar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The3Bar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The3Bar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The3Bar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The3Bar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The3Bar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The3Bar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The3Bar has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    John, in December last my BB press also stalled. While I am not working my chest as much as you are, I took two weeks off from doing BB. I only did DB, flyes, pullovers, dips and pushups. My first day back, my BB had not changed, but the second time, my BB presses were increasing! Since December, I am now pressing 10 - 12kgs more! So, I am saying that maybe a short pause from BB presses might be helping. Only a suggestion.
    Weight lifting and bodybuilding are not my hobbies. When you eat, sleep, read and think of training today and how you'll train tomorrow, it's not a hobby. It's life.

Bodybuilding is an ever-evolving, changing science. Anyone who thinks weight lifters and bodybuilders are not intelligent, have never read a bodybuilding book, studied the science of diet and muscle, lifted a weight, or spent a day preparing meals and counting their macros.

Thanks for all the help here...

I did take a full week off of chest and hit it today...Before I give the results of today, I spent some time this week watching BB Bench tutorials and saw how wrong my form was and in every one of those videos, they said that moving to a corrected form I would probably have to go down in weight as it is a "new movement"

So, today:
    -before I addressed the bar: I planted feet firmly, bridged into a thorasic arch with scapulas pressed back, trying to keep tension in legs, glutes and lats
    -took breath, unracked the BB
    -took breath, made slight elbow correction and "pulled apart" the BB with tight grip as I pressed the weight down with elbows at 45 degrees from body.
    -touched chest with BB (no bounce)
    -Pressed the bar up trying to start with feet, glutes, lats then chest and arms (this was a bit weird to me and I will have to work on this)
    -Slight elbow correction to lock out the bar at the top
    -repeat

I was actually able to get to my max weight (205) on my last set with one less rep than usual (205 x 3) - I had been doing 205 x 4 with the bad form...I will actually take this as an increase as all the videos I watched said I would have to drop weight to make these corrections.

Even thought the whole movement felt foreign to me - it did not feel bad and best of all, my shoulder hurts less than normal today after doing this!

I was actually able to get to my max weight (205) on my last set with one less rep than usual (205 x 3) - I had been doing 205 x 4 with the bad form...I will actually take this as an increase as all the videos I watched said I would have to drop weight to make these corrections.

Even thought the whole movement felt foreign to me - it did not feel bad and best of all, my shoulder hurts less than normal today after doing this!
    That's really great. Make sure you give us updates!

I'm at a very similar level. Today I benched a PR of 185 x 10 (never tried more weight for less reps). My goal is to bench 225 x 10 by the end of the summer - I think I can do it! I'm currently on a very slooow cut which may impact my progress. It'll be interesting to see what happens. In September, I hope to start a bulk and begin a hard push to get to 315 x 10 when I turn 50y in just over two years.

That's really great. Make sure you give us updates!

I'm at a very similar level. Today I benched a PR of 185 x 10 (never tried more weight for less reps). My goal is to bench 225 x 10 by the end of the summer - I think I can do it! I'm currently on a very slooow cut which may impact my progress. It'll be interesting to see what happens. In September, I hope to start a bulk and begin a hard push to get to 315 x 10 when I turn 50y in just over two years.
    Very realistic goals I would think...If you are currently doing 185 x 10, you are ready for more (in my book anyway). I think it was Nextgensupps that said when he hits 8 reps in a weight he goes up...I do the same for the most part.

I will definitely keep you posted - you do the same