The Flanimal project Flounderbout's Avatar
    Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Perfect Home Gym set-up

So I have finally got planning permission to turn my carport into a proper gym/garage/annex.
    Which is an excellent excuse to think about what equipment I can justify to myself to fill it with...

In terms of structure, it will be pretty straightforward - rubber stable matting or similar for the floor, a mirror on one wall, and that's about it. As for equipment, at the moment I have a half squat rack, a bench to go in it, an Oly bar and 260kg (570lb) of oly weights, various adj dumbbells + standard weights and bars, and a hex bar. I would like a second Oly bar so I can superset e.g. presses and rows. Other than that I have been toying with the idea of getting a GHR station (though not sure what sort is best), and maybe even a leg press/hack squat machine.

What would you consider the components of an ideal home gym (within reason)?

ps I'm not interested in cardio machines. If I want to get on a bike, I will get on my bike. I don't want to go for a run.
    pps I know there is an equipment sub-forum, but I would prefer grown-up input!
    Last edited by Flounderbout; 03-03-2014 at 06:58 AM.
    ☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

"Stay tight and don't be a pussy" Eric
    "Get out of your head, you've got this" Jedi Spotter

Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000)
    Platform for deadlifts and maybe oly lifts if you get into them? I think Ironwill has one of the most impressive home gyms around

ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ajdahlheimer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sounds like you're pretty well set up. I would recommend a Power Tower and a pull down machine (for lat pull downs and/or tricep extensions).

tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have basically what you have plus:

A cable crossover machine that uses free weight for @ $400, and it is very smooth. For $400 you can't go wrong and it adds options you may miss going from a commercial gym: http://www.amazon.com/Powerline-PCCO...able+crossover

Also - I did go for the leg press / hack squat combo and very glad I did

Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Flounderbout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tedp View Post
    Platform for deadlifts and maybe oly lifts if you get into them? I think Ironwill has one of the most impressive home gyms around
    Do you mean a deficit platform Ted, or just one of those ply-type lifting platforms? I can never understand why those things seem to go for well north of $1000 (http://www.gymcompany.co.uk/strength...51&fo_s=gplauk).
    What do they achieve unless you are Oly lifting? And surely they could be built with less than $100 of materials?

I do have a pulley lat system on my power rack, though it is not very smooth. However I don't think I have ever used it...
    ☻/
    / \

mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcours2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Flounderbout View Post
    Do you mean a deficit platform Ted, or just one of those ply-type lifting platforms? I can never understand why those things seem to go for well north of $1000 (http://www.gymcompany.co.uk/strength...51&fo_s=gplauk).
    What do they achieve unless you are Oly lifting? And surely they could be built with less than $100 of materials?
    That's exactly what I did. It's obviously not made for Oly lifting because I am not going to dropping the iron barbell on it. It's more for looks and to protect the finished flooring on my basement. And yeah, about $100 or materials is all it needs.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Rubber stall mat
    Power cage
    Bar
    Plates
    Kettlebells
    Dumbbells
    Reverse hyper
    Treadmill
    Power balls
    Throwing net
    Indoor discus
    Indoor shot put
    Indoor hammer
    Heavy bag
    Mook jong
    Lingerie-clad cheerleaders

That's my ideal...nowhere near that at my house now.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Patience, grasshopper. NorthernMusicia's Avatar
    NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NorthernMusicia has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I like the idea of the crossover machine and more free weights aka oly bar. The crossover machine has the virtue of your body not having to conform to it. Buying a machine that is 'adjustable' that you haven't tried may or may not work for you. You've been there. You see a new piece of equipment at the gym and you give it a try and think 'What the hell'! At least, don't buy a machine that you haven't personally tried several times first. A machine makes you conform to it. It may not work for you.
    Exercise isn't diet. Diet isn't exercise. Defiantly building muscle.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Seems a lot of people really like the hack/leg press combo and get a lot of use from them.

High and low pulley combo (sounds like on your rack already) can be useful.

A seated plate loaded calf press is a common upgrade.

A set of "power hooks" < that's the proper name for them, $50US for dumbbell spotting/positioning, lots of folks seem to really like these. I just bought a pair and am looking forward to using them.

Who wouldn't love a GHR? Expensive and takes up mucho real estate. There is one out that is a small floor level model still $$$ but I believe you can drag it around out of the way. I confess I have forgotten the manufacturer of the compact unit. Seems like many folks wind up with an improvised station in their power rack. I've not looked too deeply into them as I can't get one rep as yet, lol.

A improvised or store bought Deadlift jack for plate loading is a pretty cool addition. Seems everybody who has bought or made one really like it. IDK you may have already.

A second bar sounds like a champ of a plan. I had one a while but my gym is so small it was constantly in the way. Would be a super addition though.

Kettlebells

How are you fixed for Dumbbells? Spin locks and pancake plates are da bomb especially with the power hooks for adding a plate. But Ironmaster or Powerblocks work good too.

Really think a used stair master would be a winner.............just to hang stuff on

If I think of any other super cool commonly bought widgets I'll post again. Not that all this gear is needed just seems common, and well liked by people who purchase.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't even know what a GHR is. It sounds like a 70s "guitar rock" band.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000) Tedp is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Flounderbout View Post

I do have a pulley lat system on my power rack, though it is not very smooth. However I don't think I have ever used it...

Well in my mind if your setting up a home gym extending a platform with rubber on each side and plywood in the middle in front of your squat rack seems a good idea. Gives you a good place to do deadlifts if nothing else so you can drop the weight to a rubber mat and if you decide to do any olympic lifting (even power cleans etc) you can drop from a moderate height or lower under control but quick and still have a nice stable platform to lift from and drop to so you lower the damage to floor and weights. They are really easy to make as well and mostly just plywood built up on a rubber floor.

Edit and dont spend $1000 on one they cost about $50-100 in materials, even for a full platform you could drop bumpers to.

Originally Posted by mcours2006 View Post
    That's exactly what I did. It's obviously not made for Oly lifting because I am not going to dropping the iron barbell on it. It's more for looks and to protect the finished flooring on my basement. And yeah, about $100 or materials is all it needs.
    Yes just like this haha sorry missed it ...

Yep gotcha thanks Ted. My gym is in a stable at the moment and the whole floor is covered in thick rubber stable mats. So I was going to just cover the whole floor the same. But maybe that gives a less stable platform for squatting etc (although I haven't noticed that - there is hardly any give in them). I can see that a ply strip down the centre of the rack would be great though. Will definitely go down that route - cheers!

As for the other suggestions, lots of interesting thoughts there, thanks all. Will see what the space is like in the finished product and how much I have left in my pocket after all the building work!
    ☻/
    / \

frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) frozensparky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I did my floor with 3/4" thick rubber horse matts. They work very well.

I would also go for the hack/Leg press, it's next on my list and the only reason I do legs at the gym instead of at home
    It's not your beliefs that make you a better person, it's your behavior.

"If you're having girl problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems and a b1tch ain't 1" JayZ

EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Honestly IMO the spare Oly Bar would be about all I would add to what you already have. Maybe the Leg press/Hack squat. I would kinda like to have one of those myself.
    I pretty much just use my rack and weights for everything I do, I do use the upper and lower cables on the smith machine occasionally.
    Eric

PR's
    squat 335x1
    benchpress 245x1
    DB Benchpress 100'sx6
    Bent over rows 245x8
    deadlifts 445x1
    Military press 130x6
    Chin-ups BW+100x2
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144259741 My workout journal

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have done and do 95% of my lifting at home.

Here is what I would do if I were you......

I like a walk-in style rack with adjustable safeties (rather then a traditional power cage). The ability to walk in and out with a bar makes it nice for switching up movements.
    A normal power rack will work...but the above is just real nice.

A GOOD adjustable bench. Only seen one that is this good.....and it is made by Ironmaster. Hands down....the nicest most stable and versatile adjustable bench going.

A set of Ironmaster adjustable dumbels with 120lb add-on kit. (what can you say here.....just as nice as they get)

Dumbbell hooks. Let you use heavy dumbbells much easier. You work right out of your rack.

EZ curl bar and extra 10's and 5's

Non essential...but nice.

I finally added a hack/leg press combo.. Really REALLY nice to have. Wish I had done it earlier.

Cable cross with high and low pull. (nice but not essential)

Lat pulldn with low pull (probably would take this before the cable cross if forced to choose)

Preacher curl bench (just a nice versatile thing to have and good place to store your ez curl bar

Plate loaded seated leg ext and leg curl. ( I have one and it is nice...but NOT necessary).

That is my gym in a nutshell....... While not 'fancy' it has all I need to get the job done.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FltDoc06 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The Powerblock is really a cost-effective way to go for the dumbells; much cheaper than buying the equivalent set of iron or (even more expensive) rubber coated DBs. I like mine, but I will admit that if I want to do a pyramid set they are less convenient than setting out multiple pairs of DBs in various sizes. Otherwise, they are great and take up a lot less room in a home gym.

Lifting in La La Land. SummerSkies's Avatar
    SummerSkies is on a distinguished road. (+10) SummerSkies is on a distinguished road. (+10) SummerSkies is on a distinguished road. (+10) SummerSkies is on a distinguished road. (+10) SummerSkies is on a distinguished road. (+10) SummerSkies is on a distinguished road. (+10) SummerSkies is on a distinguished road. (+10) SummerSkies is on a distinguished road. (+10) SummerSkies is on a distinguished road. (+10) SummerSkies is on a distinguished road. (+10) SummerSkies is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My gym is pretty much limited to what I consider "the essentials".

power cage
    2 oly bars & assorted plates
    hex bar
    adjustable dumbbells w/ stand
    lat pulldown w/ lower cable
    2 adjustable benches
    exercise ball
    treadmill

The few extras I have are:

plate loaded leg ext/ leg curl bench
    suspension trainer
    adjustable kettlebells (love these)
    25# oly bar

My next purchase will be power bands.
    Explore, Dream, Discover. –Mark Twain

paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sounds nice! How long did it take you to get permission from the planning commission? So much for a "Man's home is his castle!" LOL If it's like things around here, you had to pay them 189.95 just to look at your plans, regardless of a 'yes or no' in response!
    paolo59

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" Winston Churchill

tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    another suggestion... a cheap alternative to a dip station is "The Rack". $87 at Walmart.com. I bought it soley for dips and it works great
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Rack-A...e-Gym/17687612

pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ID mentioned it Flounderbro.A good EZ curl bar.

And more plates.ALWAYS more plates!!