Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Marko243 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Knee pain from deadlifts

I just started doing deadlifts about 2 weeks ago, I would do them once a week using the 5x5 routine. However my form is really bad (back archs) and yesterday I decided to add in 1 more day to doing deadlifts where I would just try to work on technique by using a really light weight with high reps. So I decided to use the bar plus 10 pounds on each side, or 65 pounds in total. The weight was light enough as for my max set do 185 for 5 reps. I did it for 20-30 reps and for maybe about 7 or 8 sets with a 1-2 min break in between sets. My form was quite a bit better than before and my lower back didn't hurt.
    However a few hours later when I got home and today in the morning my knee (the joint) is hurting. Now the pain is pretty small, its not excruciating or anything but I feel it. It hurts when I squat down (no weight) and also when I sit down on a chair or get up from it. Does anybody have any advice as to what to do? Should I take it off deadlifts for a week or two or? Any ideas on how to prevent it in the future?

Stats: 5'4", 127 lbs
    aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit aman88's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Marko243 View Post
    I just started doing deadlifts about 2 weeks ago, I would do them once a week using the 5x5 routine. However my form is really bad (back archs) and yesterday I decided to add in 1 more day to doing deadlifts where I would just try to work on technique by using a really light weight with high reps. So I decided to use the bar plus 10 pounds on each side, or 65 pounds in total. The weight was light enough as for my max set do 185 for 5 reps. I did it for 20-30 reps and for maybe about 7 or 8 sets with a 1-2 min break in between sets. My form was quite a bit better than before and my lower back didn't hurt.
    However a few hours later when I got home and today in the morning my knee (the joint) is hurting. Now the pain is pretty small, its not excruciating or anything but I feel it. It hurts when I squat down (no weight) and also when I sit down on a chair or get up from it. Does anybody have any advice as to what to do? Should I take it off deadlifts for a week or two or? Any ideas on how to prevent it in the future?
    Sounds like you do not know how to perform this lift properly. I would suggest getting a qualified professional to teach you how to do so.
    B.S. - Kinesiology
    University of Maryland Alumni
    M.S. Student - Exercise Physiology
    West Chester University of Pennsylvania
    ACE Certified PT

Lifts:

Sumo DL: 315 x 13, 340 x 5
    Front Squat 225
    Pull up: BW + 100 lbs x 1
    Reset Dips: BW + 135 x 5
    Jerk: 180 x 1

*Anything I post is my personal opinion. I am in NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM telling you what to do, if you take it as such that is off of your own doing.*

HunterH32 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HunterH32 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HunterH32 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HunterH32 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HunterH32 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HunterH32 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HunterH32 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HunterH32 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HunterH32 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HunterH32 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) HunterH32 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    If you are doing deads with less than 135, you should be putting the barbell on blocks or something to get the proper height to start the lift. Pulling a barbell with 10s on each side from the ground would cause most to have to perform the lift with incorrect positioning.
    ✪ Fandango Crew ✪
    ★★★AJ Lee Crew★★★
    BBW/Fat Asses Lover Crew

Marko243 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by aman88 View Post
    Sounds like you do not know how to perform this lift properly. I would suggest getting a qualified professional to teach you how to do so.
    That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I guess I will find a personal trainer in my area, and go from there. Just another thing do you think it would be a good idea to go see a doctor about this knee pain and also what are some criteria to look for in a good trainer and make sure that he actually knows what he is doing, proper technique etc... As I'm a total noob at weightlifting.

Stats: 5'10", 174 lbs
    nucknfutz is a name known to all. (+5000) nucknfutz is a name known to all. (+5000) nucknfutz is a name known to all. (+5000) nucknfutz is a name known to all. (+5000) nucknfutz is a name known to all. (+5000) nucknfutz is a name known to all. (+5000) nucknfutz is a name known to all. (+5000) nucknfutz is a name known to all. (+5000) nucknfutz is a name known to all. (+5000) nucknfutz is a name known to all. (+5000) nucknfutz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit nucknfutz's BodySpace
    You can also post a video of you doing the exercise and let people give you some feedback.

Stats: 5'4", 127 lbs
    aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) aman88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit aman88's BodySpace
    That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I guess I will find a personal trainer in my area, and go from there. Just another thing do you think it would be a good idea to go see a doctor about this knee pain and also what are some criteria to look for in a good trainer and make sure that he actually knows what he is doing, proper technique etc... As I'm a total noob at weightlifting.

If you are new at this I suggest getting someone in person to help. Unfortunately, most chain gyms are stocked with idiots... however someone ACSM, NASM, CSCS, and or has a degree in EX PHYS/ KNES would probably understand this lift. You can go ask your doctor, I will never tell someone to no get checked out, but when the lift is performed properly it MAY solve the issue I do not know without being there coaching you and the such.
    B.S. - Kinesiology
    University of Maryland Alumni
    M.S. Student - Exercise Physiology
    West Chester University of Pennsylvania
    ACE Certified PT

Lifts:

Sumo DL: 315 x 13, 340 x 5
    Front Squat 225
    Pull up: BW + 100 lbs x 1
    Reset Dips: BW + 135 x 5
    Jerk: 180 x 1

*Anything I post is my personal opinion. I am in NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM telling you what to do, if you take it as such that is off of your own doing.*

Stats: 5'8", 185 lbs
    Bumpus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Bumpus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Bumpus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Bumpus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Bumpus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Bumpus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Bumpus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Bumpus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Bumpus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Bumpus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Bumpus has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Bumpus's BodySpace
    I don't think you are to the point of needing to hire someone. There is a sticky up top with detailed instructions on how best to capture a video of yourself lifting and then how to upload and share on here. We'll get you straightened out. Also, if you haven't Kiknskreem's sticky on the deadlift up top if worth the read.
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

We don't rise to the occasion, we fall to our level of training.

I was born a shotgun in my hands. Behind the gun I'll make my final stand and that's why they call me Bad Company

USAF

MFC