Thread: what shoes?

zmman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zmman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

what shoes?

I've been looking online this morning for shoes basically for low bar squats and deadlifts. I also wouldn't mind a shoe that gave me traction while benching also. I've been going back and forth on what to get. It seems like weightlifting shoes are overpriced (thanks to the popularity of crossfit) so I am leaning towards wrestling shoes or chuck taylor's, but if the weightlifting shoes perform much better I am willing to pay. I just can't tell when most of the reviews are written by cross fitters. Anybody have an opinion on which way to go?

SourcesScott will become famous soon enough. (+50) SourcesScott will become famous soon enough. (+50) SourcesScott will become famous soon enough. (+50) SourcesScott will become famous soon enough. (+50) SourcesScott will become famous soon enough. (+50) SourcesScott will become famous soon enough. (+50) SourcesScott will become famous soon enough. (+50) SourcesScott will become famous soon enough. (+50) SourcesScott will become famous soon enough. (+50) SourcesScott will become famous soon enough. (+50) SourcesScott will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I love my wrestling shoes.

Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I prefer my Chucks for low bar work.
    My training log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178464441

pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000) pntbll687 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by zmman View Post
    I've been looking online this morning for shoes basically for low bar squats and deadlifts. I also wouldn't mind a shoe that gave me traction while benching also. I've been going back and forth on what to get. It seems like weightlifting shoes are overpriced (thanks to the popularity of crossfit) so I am leaning towards wrestling shoes or chuck taylor's, but if the weightlifting shoes perform much better I am willing to pay. I just can't tell when most of the reviews are written by cross fitters. Anybody have an opinion on which way to go?
    I actually went with crossfit's weighlifting shoe. I highly recommend finding a place that sells them and trying them on. I found an outlet store near me that carried them, got em on sale for $105. I have super long toes, as in every toe except the little one is as long or longer than my big toe, so I made it a must to try on the shoe before I bought them. I really like the shoe, they fit well and don't move on the rubber floor my gym uses. I love the way they feel when I squat and press.

As far as what shoe is right for you, its whatever you believe in. You can use wrestling shoes, oly shoes, or whatever.

IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Every lift has a different shoe requirement to be quite honest...

Squats:
    Narrow-Medium Stance: Oly shoes, I recommend 0.75" heel height
    Wide Stance: Flat shoes, I recommend Metal Squat shoes because they have a plastic sole not rubber like Chucks, wrestling shoes are the best poor man's choice if you go about it intelligently

Bench:
    Feet-up organization: Irrelevant, just get something with forefoot flex like a typical basketball shoe or wrestling shoe
    Feet flat organization: Heeled shoe works best, Oly shoes are a good start, I actually took mine to a cobbler and got the heel extended to 2", this mimics having my heels up as close as is possible while still having my feet flat, very good option for benchers who prefer a bigger arch. If you don't bench with a big arch but rather with your feet in front, any shoe works really

Deadlift:
    Conventional: Deadlift slippers work best, even Chucks add length to the pull, you want to be as close to the ground as possible
    Sumo: I like shoes with side support so I can "spread the floor" better. I currently use a pair of chucks for this with the back sole COMPLETELY ripped out. The shoe sits 1/4" off the ground (compared to 1/8" with slippers), the toe is elevated compared to the heel (reverse-rake aka the opposite of an Oly shoe), and the chucks themselves give great side support for "spreading the floor". Best option available to me for now. I got this from Chris Duffin.

I'm gonna have to do a full article on this subject.
    www.PowerliftingToWin.com

mickgee will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickgee will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickgee will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickgee will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickgee will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickgee will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickgee will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickgee will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickgee will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickgee will become famous soon enough. (+50) mickgee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by IzzyT View Post
    Squats:
    Narrow-Medium Stance: Oly shoes
    Wide Stance: Flat shoes
    Don't mean to hijack, but why is this?
    1RM PB - 365s/205b/445d
    Rep PBs - 320x7s/180x9b/390x6d
    Goals - 385s/215b/450d

Raw IPF
    @140(9/02/14): 125/87.5/185
    @144(18/10/14): 160/90/192.5

Location: Misc City, BBington, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dawes is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by mickgee View Post
    Don't mean to hijack, but why is this?
    With narrow stance ankle mobility is often an issue, ever seen someone squat and their heels come off the ground? Usually that's something to do with ankle mobility and a narrower stance will usually cause a lot more forward knee movement. Heeled shoes also allow you to sit further back into the squat keeping the weight on your heels and reducing forward leaning, the straps allow you to push against the shoe and activate your hips better as well. Additionally, I've noticed they keep your shins slightly more vertical, which as well as the other things I've mentioned allows your narrow stance squat to be, a) more stable and b) with a slightly reduced rom as there is less forward knee movement. Both pretty useful for competitive powerlifters.

A wider stance allows you to have more horizontal shins, ankle mobility isn't usually a problem and using a heel for wider stances (in my opinion) makes it harder to spread the floor and doesn't add anything to this stance. You are better off with a flatter sole as you can screw your feet in easier.
    Last edited by Dawes; 02-28-2014 at 02:39 AM.

PlGinge is just really nice. (+1000) PlGinge is just really nice. (+1000) PlGinge is just really nice. (+1000) PlGinge is just really nice. (+1000) PlGinge is just really nice. (+1000) PlGinge is just really nice. (+1000) PlGinge is just really nice. (+1000) PlGinge is just really nice. (+1000) PlGinge is just really nice. (+1000) PlGinge is just really nice. (+1000) PlGinge is just really nice. (+1000)
    I bought oly shoes from the get go without any real thought as I was told they would improve my squat.

They did to an extent, although ever since I switched to low bar and a medium-wide stance my squats have felt awful. I recently bought the Reebok Crossfit shoes that Mark Bell was involved in making and my squats have never felt better whilst wearing them.

The plus side is, they're fantastic to deadlift in too. So I would definitely take a look at them if I were you.
    Single Lift
    Aug 2015 Meet 1 99.9kg - 265kg Deadlift
    Nov 2015 Meet 2 99.0kg - 300kg Deadlift

Full Power
    April 2014 Meet 1 88.6kg Bodyweight - 170kg Squat / 105kg Bench / 230kg Deadlift - 505kg Total
    May 2015 Meet 2 97.7kg Bodyweight - 215kg Squat / 135kg Bench / 285kg Deadlift - 635kg Total
    July 2015 Meet 3 96.1kg Bodyweight - 225kg Squat / 137.5kg Bench / 290kg Deadlift - 652.5kg Total
    Nov 2015 Meet 4 99.0kg Bodyweight - 235kg Squat / 150kg Bench / 292.5kg Deadlift - 677.5kg Total