Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000)

What's up with Powertec Power Rack

Hi. I have been looking to buy a Power Rack for my home. I actually signed up to this forum to research what is out there. I came to the conclusion that I really want the Powertec Power Rack WB-PR11. But for weeks now it has been backordered and no one can tell me when they are coming in.

I called Powertec directly and they can't give an answer. All the online places that sell it, want to charge you first and then you just wait and hope it comes in. I even have a fitness store locally to me who carries Powertec equipment. Even they can not get a committed answer form Powertec.

Has this been an ongoing thing with this company? Those who own this, was it a problem to get it in that past?

Don't know if I should wait it out or settle for something which I think is a lesser product.

Mike

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Powertechs customer service has always been suspect.

The good news is that you don't have to settle for an inferior product. Back when the poweertech was selling for about 400 it was a good deal at its current price it is pretty much the bottom of the barrel for the dollar.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yea..... you need to look a different direction.

Powertec used to be the go to cage around here. When I arrived it was about $350 shipped to your door through bb.com. Now its $600-$700. I realize prices go up....but for what is available now it can hardly be considered the rack to buy for the typical homeowner.

If budget and safety are your priorities.... the Powerline is probably the rack to get. Otherwise I'd look at saving up a little more and upping your budget to around a grand. For that amount you are going to get a much nicer cage than the Ptec and likely much better customer service. Rogue and the Sorinex Darkhorse are good directions to go....although Sorinex has been trying hard to increase their prices to the point of making Rogue the clear winner.

Anyway.....Powertec is not what it used to be and they were never known for good customer service.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have owned a few different powertec cages and i have only ever had one cage that was a lower quality cage. In conclusion, get another rack.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 12

https://www.youtube.com/user/solvedphysicsproblem

117 videos showing the solutions to all highschool physics problems that could possibly come up.

Can't break what's broken Synthetickiller's Avatar
    Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm not a fan of rogue, but you can get an RE-3 Echo for $621 shipped w/ rod & pipe safties. Link

Seems like a better rack.

$706 if you want the deeper rack: Link
    $695 for the R3: Link

Like I said, I'm not a fan & I'm not well versed on the lower end racks. That said, these seem to have much higher build quality & you still get bolt-together as well as a lot of attachments that rogue offers. I must sound like a Rouge whore, lol. They seem to have the biggest ( and most redundant) selection of budget racks in the price range.

What's your take on all this, OP?
    Crews: Ivanko Barbell Crew #52, York Barbell Club #95, Equipment Crew #59
    Lifts no one cares about:
    SQ: 619x1 (suit bottoms, no belt) / 507x1 (raw, no belt)
    BP: 392x1 (pause bench, raw)
    DL: 500x1 (suit bottoms, no belt)

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Synthetickiller View Post
    .... I must sound like a Rouge whore, lol. They seem to have the biggest ( and most redundant) selection of budget racks in the price range.

No you don't. Your points about their product make sense. There are reasons to not like them, as there are reasons to not like any company or to go with one over another. However, I'm fairly confident the rack you suggest is a better product than the Ptec....so why would one not suggest it over the ptec for the price? Offer other suggestions...sure....but the Rogue offering is a valid one.

Like I said....ptec used to be pushed around here as if the members were getting kick backs...then things started changing. First the price went up a little, then a little more, then there were rumors about bad customer service and mismanaged orders, then bb.com completely stopped selling them, then the price went through the roof. All the while....the product remained the same as what they used to ship to you for $350.

Ptec cages are seldom referenced here anymore.... wonder why?

If Rogue makes a good product and offers good service for a reasonable price....there's no reason not to suggest them until they start changing their model.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50) RandyMcdonald will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The dad used to run the company and gave an ok product for a low price. The son took over the business, fired the long time product designer (had been there more than a decade creating leverage machines and racks). The business birthright son has subsequently screwed up the business and lowered the customer service. BB.com pulled their business because the customer service and product delivery delays got so bad. Look elsewhere.

Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    No you don't. Your points about their product make sense. There are reasons to not like them, as there are reasons to not like any company or to go with one over another. However, I'm fairly confident the rack you suggest is a better product than the Ptec....so why would one not suggest it over the ptec for the price? Offer other suggestions...sure....but the Rogue offering is a valid one.

Like I said....ptec used to be pushed around here as if the members were getting kick backs...then things started changing. First the price went up a little, then a little more, then there were rumors about bad customer service and mismanaged orders, then bb.com completely stopped selling them, then the price went through the roof. All the while....the product remained the same as what they used to ship to you for $350.

If Rogue makes a good product and offers good service for a reasonable price....there's no reason not to suggest them until they start changing their model.
    I'm just biased bc I really dislike (I'm choosing to not use other words) crossfit & they built their brand around it. Good marketing, but... nvm. No point in continuing about that.

Their racks are ok, but I'd rather spend a few $100 more & get a sorinex or even EFS (and I've had not the best experience w/ their racks either; had 2 and both had issues). I really only brought up rogue b/c I'm not familiar w/ racks in that price range outside of them.

I do remember though when racks were cheap ($300 to $450) & made well. Quality has gone down on all metal products related to lifting. I can't find any good cheap plates anymore. CAP plates are garbage now. I had some Champion plates I got rid of that I regret letting go, but had no option at the time.

My line of thinking is save more, stay away from Rogue & get something a little beefier or even a custom rack from Mech6 or Black Widow (or any of the other smaller companies that actually put out a really good product). Saving a little longer is worth it if you never have to upgrade your rack. Metal isn't getting any cheaper.

Originally Posted by RandyMcdonald View Post
    The dad used to run the company and gave an ok product for a low price. The son took over the business, fired the long time product designer (had been there more than a decade creating leverage machines and racks). The business birthright son has subsequently screwed up the business and lowered the customer service. BB.com pulled their business because the customer service and product delivery delays got so bad. Look elsewhere.
    Kids who inherit the family business seem to drive it into the ground due to silver spoon syndrome. That's sad really.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

The Powerline PPR200X is another rack that we used to hear about on a regular basis since it was available for ~$300 shipped thru Amazon, but the $100 price increase combined with the availability if the refurbed GPR378's for the same price kinda pushed it out of the running.

It's still a decent budget option, imo, especially if you only have $400 to spend. You're getting a respectable quality product from a reputable company. It's not as pretty or shiny as some of the other lower-end racks like the Amstaff stuff or Fitness Gear rack/half-rack, but it'll do the job.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

Colt2535 is a name known to all. (+5000) Colt2535 is a name known to all. (+5000) Colt2535 is a name known to all. (+5000) Colt2535 is a name known to all. (+5000) Colt2535 is a name known to all. (+5000) Colt2535 is a name known to all. (+5000) Colt2535 is a name known to all. (+5000) Colt2535 is a name known to all. (+5000) Colt2535 is a name known to all. (+5000) Colt2535 is a name known to all. (+5000) Colt2535 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Funny that you mention this, I actually ordered a WB-PR11 earlier this month. The charge was placed onto my card and 2 days later it disappeared with no contact from the company. I sent the company an email about the charge and was told that the rack was on back order, but would be shipped out towards the end of the month. Seemed sketchy so I asked for my order to be cancelled and the next day the $559 deposit showed on my statement. Still looking around for a rack though, I really liked the dip handles that goes along with that rack.
    MISC Strength Crew.

dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000) dieselmike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for all the responses. To answer a few questions you guys posted: My budget is $600. I don't lift a ridiculous amount of weight. My max squat for reps is 390lbs. So I know any of the "lower end" racks will do.

The reason I am so drawn to the Powertec is:
    1. The versatility of the pull up bar. I love the different Grip options (wide slanted, hammer grip, or straight)
    2. This may be a little tough to describe, but the horizontal support bar that lies on the floor along the back of the cage is set back a few inches. unlike other models where this bar is square with the rear uprights. My concern with that is that when I squat I like to face the wall (rear or the cage) and un rack from those uprights. The models without the bar set back a touch would not allow you to get directly under the bar when un and re racking without stepping on that bar.
    3. This kind of still goes with #2, but the entire footprint that actually comes in contact with the floor, I think just adds overall stability. I saw a floor model of the Powertec in a local store by me and it is a very solid cage. The others, I have only seen on line and I hate buying something like this that I can't "feel" first.

So that is why the Powertec seems to be the perfect rack for me.

The Powerline PPR200x has tremendous Amazon reviews, but I'm not a fan of that straight pull up bar and I can't tell from the picture is that rear bar on the floor is set back or not.

Another I actually saw in person, which seems like a good solid rack is Dick's house brand: Fitness Gear Pro Full Rack (can't post link cause I'm a newbie on BB.com)
    But my issue with this is... The rear floor bar.... and quite frankly.. It's Dick's... I am suspect to the quality of their products.

I really like the Powertec, but can I ever get it and how long do I have to wait? Ugh!

JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The PPR200X rear cross member is set back a few inches from the back upright. It's a solid choice for the price but like others have said it's not a killer deal anymore.

When the Sorinex Dark Horse with plate storage was $999 shipped a while back it was one of the best deals around. Now not so much. It comes out to $1,474 shipped now which is obviously a pretty steep increase. For that price you could get the Legend Fitness 3171 which I would prefer over the Dark Horse.
    http://www.gtechfitness.com/legend-f...r-station.aspx
    Anyway, got a little off track there if your budget is lower.

Rogue is one of the best options due to their quality, price, availability and customer service. I've never dealt with them but always hear about their good customer service. They often ship their products out very quickly as well. Plus their website is very good compared to some other fitness gear companies. You can get good information and pricing very easily. So I would definitely look at what they have and see if anything fits what you're looking for.

Believe me, I salivate over these higher end racks. But a budget is a budget. And I am not going over $600. Remember, I am 42 years old and not thinking at this point my squat is getting much higher than 400lbs. So a $500-600 is more than enough for me. The Rogue's are nice. But even the lowest end one is at the high end of my price range. Also, there are no cross member support bars that come in contact with the floor. If that is not bolted down to the floor, is it stable enough? I would imagine those NEED to be anchored down?

ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I got the Powertech Rack from BB.com for $314.10 shipped several years ago. For that price it's pretty nice! Considering you'll probably pay near double that now I'm sure there are better options...

I can do $530 + 7% NJ sales tax at my local store. Or $560-565 no tax, free shipping from a few of the online brokers. I am willing to do that. But that is WHEN and IF they ever get them in!!! Last I heard is that Powertec has a huge shipment on the boat from China en route. We'll see.

Thanks for everyone's help. I will keep you posted which way I go. Surprised no one chimed in on the Dick's Sporting Goods one I mentioned.

Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One way to resolve your question about space behind the rear upright, would be to get a pair of the "Poor Man's Monolift" from Edge Fitness Systems, to go with a Powertec rack. This would place the bar further into the rack, and would eliminate any need to step back when squatting. Powerlifting team Wild Iron uses a similar set up, but with a full beam monolift attachment from Crepinsek. The new 2014 Ptec rack is rumored to have bolt-down feet, so this would provide a solid foundation.

The inside width of the Ptec rack is 44 inches. This may be preferable for hand spacing compared to Rogue racks at 43 inches, or the Bodysolid rack (40? inches) and Powerline rack (42 inches).

In the past, Powertec has displayed a willingness to make upgrades that were suggested by customers. For example, the safety bars were upgraded from slide-out pins to swing-out safeties. The J-hooks were upgraded. The rubber on the chin-up bar was upgraded. The best upgrade the company could make, however, would be a straight, 1.25 inch steel chin up bar. While some people like the current chin up bar, most customers find that the handles are spaced too far apart. Chin up handles should be placed in such a way that allow for shoulder width chin ups. An easy solution for this would be for Powertec to create a straight pull up bar that could bolt into the rack's existing holes. For the right price, such a rack would be very popular.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by dieselmike View Post
    Believe me, I salivate over these higher end racks. But a budget is a budget. And I am not going over $600. Remember, I am 42 years old and not thinking at this point my squat is getting much higher than 400lbs. So a $500-600 is more than enough for me. The Rogue's are nice. But even the lowest end one is at the high end of my price range. Also, there are no cross member support bars that come in contact with the floor. If that is not bolted down to the floor, is it stable enough? I would imagine those NEED to be anchored down?
    yes they will need to be anchored down.

Remember, 400lbs dropped = a lot more than 400lbs sitting on the rack. The problem is finding a $500-600 rack these days unless you buy used.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

Registered Ginger Muscle Mania Matt's Avatar
    Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well, OP, you might consider Texas Strength Systems. Their basic rack would probably fall into your budget, it is better than a powertec, made for powerlifters, and I think they offer 0% financing through paypal. I'm not sure how much their shipping is, but their rack is under $600.
    -[[[[------]]]]-

***Misc Cigar Crew***
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew

judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) judgecrandall is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Muscle Mania Matt View Post
    Well, OP, you might consider Texas Strength Systems. Their basic rack would probably fall into your budget, it is better than a powertec, made for powerlifters, and I think they offer 0% financing through paypal. I'm not sure how much their shipping is, but their rack is under $600.
    SK is going to lose his mind over this recommendation. Here's his review on TSS. Buyer beware.
    ▪█───█▪ York Barbell Club #47 ▪█───█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #41 ▪█───█▪ ▪[M]====[6]▪ #7 ▪[M]====[6]▪

1RM PRs: Squat (385), Bench (245), Sumo/Conventional Deadlift (417.5/420), OHP (150)

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by judgecrandall View Post
    SK is going to lose his mind over this recommendation. Here's his review on TSS. Buyer beware.
    I agree. After seeing the pics of the total POS that Texas Strength Systems sent to SK, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone...regardless of price. Some of the worst welds I've ever seen on a piece of "custom" fitness equipment.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bro, dont recommend these crappy stop-sign racks to anyone after what happened to Synthetickiller.

If youre going to spend 600, Id spend a little more and get the R3, the R3 is a tank, and Rogues makes things right if issues happen.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

Originally Posted by dieselmike View Post
    ....But a budget is a budget. And I am not going over $600....

I'm going to chime in one more time....just to help, but I believe you have your mind made up and that's ok.

Anyway...I understand the budget constraints and your stubbornness about sticking to it. I'm not suggesting you "break" it...but I am suggesting you give it a little time and do some research. The strength of a cage and the quality of the construction isn't all about what you lift. Its also about comfort, feel, and stability. A nicer rack is going to be made better and will feel more like a rack that you'd find in a gym. Anyone that's used commercial equipment understands there is a difference.

The only point we're trying to really get across is that since Ptec has raised their prices so much.....there is little reason not to spend just a little more and get the nicer rack. $600 is a lot of money to invest....but if you could add a little more to that and get an exponentially better piece of equipment...it seems like a good use of funds to me. Again, I don't have a problem with the ptec and if you want it, good....just saying you could investigate the options available at $800-$1000 and realize what you get for that money....then save up for it so you can get a better overall deal...or more for your money.

Also...there is always craigslist. Let me tell you....there is always craigslist...and craigslist will take care of you if you're patient. I have bought a bunch of cages on there and I've never paid more than $200 for a cage...except for the one I have now...but its a $4000 cage that I got for $1400. I even bought one of the ptec cages a couple of years ago for $120....with 300lbs of olympic plates. I just saw one in my area last week with 300lbs of weights, a flat bench, and the cage for $400.

Just trying to convince you there are better options than paying that much for something that is just above the bottom end of acceptable cages.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    please listen to Keetman. not to sound all dramatic- but the power cage in a home gym is the heart and soul of the home gym. For me it is anyways. Just about everything can & is performed in the cage-so definitely don't short change yourself and settle.

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have a 2x2 rack for that much. Take a drive across the border... If not, R3. Get some plywood, screw it down. It's really no big deal. $60 of plywood vs looking for some super rack that costs nothing, doesn't move, and sticks to the floor by magic.
    Also, BWTG is close (long island I think). He might be more expensive, but you'd save on shipping and get something custom.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

I'm going to chime in one more time....just to help, but I believe you have your mind made up and that's ok.

Anyway...I understand the budget constraints and your stubbornness about sticking to it. I'm not suggesting you "break" it...but I am suggesting you give it a little time and do some research. The strength of a cage and the quality of the construction isn't all about what you lift. Its also about comfort, feel, and stability. A nicer rack is going to be made better and will feel more like a rack that you'd find in a gym. Anyone that's used commercial equipment understands there is a difference.

The only point we're trying to really get across is that since Ptec has raised their prices so much.....there is little reason not to spend just a little more and get the nicer rack. $600 is a lot of money to invest....but if you could add a little more to that and get an exponentially better piece of equipment...it seems like a good use of funds to me. Again, I don't have a problem with the ptec and if you want it, good....just saying you could investigate the options available at $800-$1000 and realize what you get for that money....then save up for it so you can get a better overall deal...or more for your money.

Also...there is always craigslist. Let me tell you....there is always craigslist...and craigslist will take care of you if you're patient. I have bought a bunch of cages on there and I've never paid more than $200 for a cage...except for the one I have now...but its a $4000 cage that I got for $1400. I even bought one of the ptec cages a couple of years ago for $120....with 300lbs of olympic plates. I just saw one in my area last week with 300lbs of weights, a flat bench, and the cage for $400.

Just trying to convince you there are better options than paying that much for something that is just above the bottom end of acceptable cages.
    Well said and I will take your advice. The fact that P-tec is not available right now will allow me time to look more into others. It seems like the Rogue R-3 or RE-3 is what most of you guys recommend . I will look more into that. Talk to a rep over there tomorrow and seriously consider that. I really appreciate all the help. I have been looking at Craigslist and just coming up empty handed for anything within reasonable driving distance from me. (Central NJ).

And yes. I totally agree with you about the feel and comfort once we have been accustomed to commercial equipment in a gym.

Originally Posted by judgecrandall View Post
    Originally Posted by Stasher1 View Post
    I agree. After seeing the pics of the total POS that Texas Strength Systems sent to SK, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone...regardless of price. Some of the worst welds I've ever seen on a piece of "custom" fitness equipment.
    I'm here. EVERYONE SETTLE DOWN.

Look at my sig or the link judgecrandall posted. Please just read through everything; no need to reiterate the screw job I got in this thread. Please don't get F'd over like I did. I really don't want to see anyone here, not just OP, deal w/ the BS I had to.

TL : DR

Wes (owner of TSS) shipped a subpar product, plays a saint & will not stand behind that product.

Like others before, the rack is the core of all things lifting in a home (and commerical) gym. You really want the best thing in your budget or even save a bit longer to get a piece of equipment you won't have to upgrade in a few years.

Metal isn't getting any cheap, so you end up saving a lot in the long run.

Originally Posted by Mech6 View Post
    I have a 2x2 rack for that much. Take a drive across the border... If not, R3. Get some plywood, screw it down. It's really no big deal. $60 of plywood vs looking for some super rack that costs nothing, doesn't move, and sticks to the floor by magic.
    Also, BWTG is close (long island I think). He might be more expensive, but you'd save on shipping and get something custom.
    I think this is really good advice. The quality is not lacking.
    Last edited by Synthetickiller; 02-25-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Terpgym will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Edge fitness systems or Black Widow Training gear might be able to make you a really nice 2x2 rack, with rear crossmember. Basically like the Ptec, but 11 gauge. With a custom chin up bar, etc..

I am calling black widow today. Anyone in particular I should speak to? I am also seriously considering one of the Rogue ones. The R-3 doesn't have a bad review at all.

weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Before calling Black Widow, I'd take a look at this review thread of a custom BWTG rack made for user snova last fall. Also, try to figure out in advance what you're looking for--if you call and say "Hey, how much is a rack" you're not going to get very far, because they'll need to know what you want them to build before they can come up with a price.

That said, if you're on a budget, I would expect a custom rack to cost more than a pre-fab model. However, if you're willing to pick it up instead of having it shipped, the shipping savings could offset the extra cost.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #49 ()---() ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #11 ──<//>─<\\>──

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Another place to check out is Underground Training Strength Equipment in Dayton, Ohio. Last time I checked, he was selling an 11g 2x2 rack for 500$

www.********.com/UndergroundTraining

http://ug-training.com/

I think that website is new. He sells stuff off ebay. Maybe he'll discount a bit if you contact him directly. He posts here sometimes and seems like a good guy. I don't have any personal experience though.