dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Bench press form check

I'm trying to improve all of my main lifts right now, and this is one of my working sets at the bench press from last session, 170 lbs for 8 reps.

I was afraid from the video that i was flaring out my elbows a little bit too much, what do you guys think?
    Also if that was the case, will tucking them in more make me able to lift more weight?

there isnt discomfort while doing them, like at all, so i thought maybe it's my imagination, i'm very unsure bout it.

Edit: video is very loud, please turn off your sound before playing it

Last edited by dualspace; 02-20-2014 at 06:08 AM.

Published Fitness Author Bradster101190's Avatar
    Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Looks great to me, elbow position is fine. Your chests primary function is horizontal adduction( basically bringing the elbows across the body) and the closer you tuck your elbows in the more it becomes a elbow extension movement which is more triceps. More weight? Maybe but it wouldn't result in bigger muscular gains .

Here is a exert from my book I to give you some ideas on training for maximum hypertrophy. Also great weight on the bar , good control and mindset about training, your going to go far!

Flat Barbell Bench Press- Grip so that your forearm is perpendicular to the ground at the bottom, TEST this before starting, shorten your abdominal wall by contracting your abs and keep your back and head on the bench. Instead of simply shoving the bar away also shove your hands together on the bar to emphasize the all of the muscles between your arms (.Your Chest). Heavier weights make this harder concentrically but always focus on it maximally during the negative. .Also recognize pausing at the top with elbows locked is REST for the chest because it is moving the loads tension into the joints. On the other hand pausing at the bottom briefly ( 1-2 seconds) can have the advantage of further limiting momentum and focusing on initiating the movement with the chest. Always lower the barbell under control and briefly stop at the bottom , never bounce the bar off your chest!

Cues as a Training Partner/ Coach- " Shove your hands together.", " Push your back into the bench", " Keep your abs tight"
    Last edited by Bradster101190; 02-20-2014 at 08:25 AM.
    Fitness Author at Bodybuilding.com, T-Nation, EliteFTS
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com
    Read More Of My Work At: https://www.brad-kelly.com/recent-articles/

dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50) dualspace will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Bradster101190 View Post
    Looks great to me, elbow position is fine. Your chests primary function is horizontal adduction( basically bringing the elbows across the body) and the closer you tuck your elbows in the more it becomes a elbow extension movement which is more triceps. More weight? Maybe but it wouldn't result in bigger muscular gains .

Here is a exert from my book I to give you some ideas on training for maximum hypertrophy. Also great weight on the bar , good control and mindset about training, your going to go far!

Flat Barbell Bench Press- Grip so that your forearm is perpendicular to the ground at the bottom, TEST this before starting, shorten your abdominal wall by contracting your abs and keep your back and head on the bench. Instead of simply shoving the bar away also shove your hands together on the bar to emphasize the all of the muscles between your arms (.Your Chest). Heavier weights make this harder concentrically but always focus on it maximally during the negative. .Also recognize pausing at the top with elbows locked is REST for the chest because it is moving the loads tension into the joints. On the other hand pausing at the bottom briefly ( 1-2 seconds) can have the advantage of further limiting momentum and focusing on initiating the movement with the chest. Always lower the barbell under control and briefly stop at the bottom , never bounce the bar off your chest!

Cues as a Training Partner/ Coach- " Shove your hands together.", " Push your back into the bench", " Keep your abs tight"
    thanks for your throughout reply, i guess i've been doing it right.
    also thanks for the encouraging words
    Last edited by dualspace; 02-20-2014 at 09:22 PM.