Thread: KetoTestes Log

KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50)

KetoTestes Log

Startdate 20140214

Hi all,

I am a 33YO male, 5'11", 200lbs, 24% BF according to Army Tape. See attached photos from January 13th. I recently completed the Army's new Master Fitness Trainer course and began to really be concerned that I was not the picture of what a guy giving advice should be, so... I have been eating around 2000 calories for a month now with normal army PRT which should be at about a 500 or more deficit yet, I haven't seen any change really. So I stopped doing PRT and started doing a bastardized starting strength w/ 30 min LISS on my offdays except sunday. Because I am currently in a position that lets me do what I want for working out and based on information from the Strength and Conditioning Coaches that teach the course in regards to cardio vs lifting when losing weight. I have been doing that a week and today said F it, I am going to do this Keto thing for a while, so I went to the store and stocked up, read the Keto handbook from here and had some bacon and eggs for lunch. Basically my workout is :

Workout A
    Back Squat 6-8x3
    Bench 8-12x3
    Pullup 8-12x3
    weighted inclined situps 8-12x3

Workout B
    Deadllift 6-8x3
    DB Press 8-12x3
    Chinup 8-12x3
    weighted inclined situps 8-12x3

Mon A
    Wed B
    Fri A

Mon B
    Wed A
    Fri B

I have done something like this before in 2009 for 3 months, I did Crossfit w/ a low carb (<100) paleo diet. The results were impressive (lost 30lbs and was in great shape) but I am thinking that the High Intensity stuff may too much in a carb deficit, and I don't want to make this too hard on myself right away since I will be in an even greater carb deficit this time. I will judge the need for carb ups after the first 15-30 days.

I guess the only questions I have are:

Is 2000 cal a good enough deficit to cut this fat
    Is my workout appropriate to maintain what little muscle I have ( I know there will be noob gains but I am not kidding myself on any significant gains)

I welcome ALL tips or opinions, I am a noob to lifting.
    Attached Images

KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50) KetoTestes will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Today I did a nice slow jog for 40 minutes, went a little over 4mi and kept my heart rate around 140-150 bpm. The first 20 minutes felt GREAT, I am guessing that was my body switching to the glycogen it has stored vs the fat I have been feeding it.

My Macros were:

FAT: 138
    CHO: 11
    PRO: 124

CAL: 1794

A bit below my goal but I am stuffed, I may drink a protein shake (25g) before bed or cram a couple more Hard Boiled Eggs in, but for now I am stuffed. I am leery of the protein shake though because it has fake sugar in it and I am thinking I should abstain from that while I am getting started. I am also changing my reps on my workout for Monday to a 5X5 for everything except the situps. I may start squatting and deadlifting every workout as well, but I will tweak as I go, I don't know what recovery will be like despite my low weights in my untrained condition. As of now I am not particularly sore but I will rest tomorrow anyway. I feel good, had a dull headache when I woke up ravenous, been thirsty like a big dog (drinking water helps the cravings), and my pee stinks though that could be the asparagus.

Attached is a screen shot of my fitday food log.
    Attached Images

Rested. Having trouble getting my macros right, but I was still stuffed and below 2000k... Shouldn't be that big of a deal as I probably still have tons of glycogen in my system and all I did was play with my kid outside. No soreness from Fridays workout or Saturdays run... Good stuff!

Macros:
    FAT:150g
    CHO:18g
    PRO:108g

CAL:1889

Food Breakdown Attached
    Attached Images
    Last edited by KetoTestes; 02-18-2014 at 07:29 AM.

Today I did my workout B of starting strength, didn't really feel like my energy was low, just different. Of course this early every workout is a PR, I did a 3X5 of Backsquat (205), Standing Military Press (115), Pendlay Rows (145), Pullups (-40) and Weighted/Inclined Situps (35). reps were slow in the last set for every exercise so that's good.

Macros:
    FAT:131
    CHO:29
    PRO:169

CAL:1949

My carbs were higher than I wished because I drank a protein shake post workout that had 15g in it. I got jumpy about recovering before Wed and made a command decision. I'm researching now what to do post workout in keto, but my logic tells me that if you consume a bunch of just protein post workout (fast digesting like whey) then wouldn't your body just convert some of it to glycogen?!? I don't know. Read More seems like the appropriate prescription. I hit my mark with the Protein though today, only because the shake was 52g...

Attached Food Log
    Attached Images

Tcthigpe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Look into Carb Cycling for decreasing Body fat and building or maintaining LBM. For supplements; get two quality proteins(one for a meal replacement "Gold Standard" & one for post work out "Hydro-Builder"), a Pre-workout, BCAAs, a Multi-vitamin, Fish Oil, and a good quality diet should be plenty to get you started.
    Your diet should have 4-6 low carb days(below 80gr), and should have one 24 hour carb up period a week. Within those 4-6 days your body should enter Ketosis, and fat loss should be attainable.

Originally Posted by Tcthigpe View Post
    Look into Carb Cycling for decreasing Body fat and building or maintaining LBM. For supplements; get two quality proteins(one for a meal replacement "Gold Standard" & one for post work out "Hydro-Builder"), a Pre-workout, BCAAs, a Multi-vitamin, Fish Oil, and a good quality diet should be plenty to get you started.
    Your diet should have 4-6 low carb days(below 80gr), and should have one 24 hour carb up period a week. Within those 4-6 days your body should enter Ketosis, and fat loss should be attainable.
    Thank you Tcthigpe, but I think I'm going to do the standard keto thing for at least a couple weeks and see how it turns out. Once I purge my body of glycogen, and if the fat loss is sufficient, I may move to a CKD type when I am ready to start adding muscle. I have a coach (CSCS) who I can call on if this doesn't work out and I decide to go the traditional route. To be clear, he is against carb restriction, however I really wanted to try this keto thing since logically it makes sense, I can't really imagine our bodies are designed/evolved (whichever) to eat as many carbs as we do... Again Thanks and if I decide to supplement I will definitely look into those, but for now I am trying to get my macros without shakes, my vitamins are all through the roof from all the veggies, and I doubt I will ever use a preworkout, I actually cut all caffeine out 2 weeks ago...
    Last edited by KetoTestes; 02-18-2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typo

Today my run sucked, I don't know if it was because of the diet or just that it was at 0600 on an empty stomach. I don't have any soreness though and My spirits were high after I had breakfast. My head started the dull throb about 5pm and hasn't went away yet...

MACROS:
    FAT:150
    CHO:13
    FAT:171

Calories:2149

I hit my protein goal of 150 today and then some, if my math is correct I can just match my FAT g and PRO g and hit a perfect calorie count so that's good... Ironically almost all my meat is about that ratio. (coincidence?)

Can't wait for tomorrow's workout!

on a side note, I finally broke down and bought a scale, last night I went to bed at 209, I woke up and was 205?!? after my run I was 202... Were did 4lbs go while I was sleeping and 3lbs go while I was running? weird...

attached is my foodlog
    Attached Images

Today my Macros were:

FAT:140
    CHO:9
    PRO:146
    H2O:1.5 gal

Calories:1923
    Weight:202

I got horrible sleep last night and I think my lifts suffered. I couldn't go to sleep immediately because my legs were feeling oddly restless, then my son (2YO) woke up at 4AM. I still hit SQ210 BP185 DL225. All were slow. I assume my CNS was not recovered properly, I didn't feel like my muscles were done. Tomorrow I have a 10k Ruck @ 35lbs so tonight I will be going to bed extra early. Energy levels are MUCH better today and no head throbbing. I feel like I should be done teeter tottering with my weight so hopefully I can keep a record here of my weight every morning.

foodlog attached
    Attached Images
    Last edited by KetoTestes; 02-19-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added food log

My Macros

FAT:135
    CHO:8
    PRO:176.5
    H2O:2 gal

Calories:2003
    Weight:202

Well, today the 10k ruck went as I expected, sucky. I maintained almost a 15min pace, came in at about 1:32. I packed 50lbs though so that added to the suck. I also drank almost a gallon of water on the march ~100oz. I also didn't have time to pack a salad for lunch so I just had the 3 Chicken Thighs until I got home at 6pm. I hope I didn't put off my nutrients too long and delay my recovery, my legs are pretty stiff/sore, tomorrow my squats may suffer. I'll let you know!!!

Food log attached.
    Attached Images

I took some measurements today, just to make sure I don't forget them I am going to post them.

Neck:16
    Chest:42
    Arms:15
    Forearms:12
    Wrists:7.5
    Waist:38@navel 36@pantline
    Hips:40
    Thighs:24
    Calves:16
    Last edited by KetoTestes; 02-21-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added forearms corrected wrist & calves

Ok, well I am sore. WAAAAY sore, I assume from the Ruck since it is mostly my posterior chain and my back and traps. I decided tonight would be a good night to up my calories and protein to assist in recovery. My lifts suffered, I didn't go up on my squat and needed a spot on my military press.

MACROS:
    FAT:166
    CHO:13
    PRO:231
    H2O:1.5gal

Calories:2571
    Weight:201.5

Tomorrow I have a nice slow run that should assist in recovery as well.

Food Log attached
    Attached Images

Still hella sore, but now it's mostly in my back. I can not believe how much that ruck must have worked me... Definitely next week I will follow it up with a protein shake, 15g of carbs or not. OK, energy levels today were great, I can't even really tell I am on a "diet" now. I just eat when I am hungry and make sure it is the food I have set aside from my wife and son's food. I cooked my food for next week today as well, 10 chicken thighs, 6 half pound burger patties and 24 hard boiled eggs, tomorrow I will be smoking a double chicken breast and a rack of ribs. That should give me my 7 days of 150g protein. I also restocked on greenery and picked up some flax seed meal. My run today went great, I ran ~35 minutes, 1 mile in shoes and 2 barefoot, which was interesting, I am working on my foot strike (forcing myself to strike mid foot instead of heel).

anyhow,

MACROS:
    FAT:134.5
    CHO:9
    PRO:185.5

Calories:2068
    Weight: 200.6

Attached is my food log
    Attached Images

Rest Day!

Calves sooooo sore from the barefoot run...

MACROS:
    FAT:162
    CHO:5
    PRO:105

Calories:1993
    Weight:200.4

Energy levels great, no cravings, feeling very satisfied for hours. Temptations are all around and I don't even think twice, I think I am on the right path!!!

Food Log Attached
    Attached Images

Calves still sore, back too (from the ruckmarch). Energy level is good. The headache is back tonight, not as bad but I am afraid that all the Flax I ate yesterday may have messed with my keto. I know that the Fiber doesn't "count" as carbs, but either way I am going to go easy on it from here on out.

MACROS:
    FAT:133
    CHO:10
    PRO:142

Calories:1861
    Weight:199.5

Despite the overdose on Flax, I managed to make it though the weekend unscathed. My lifts were great except my bench...

Squat:220
    Bench:175
    Deadlift:240

I'm also progressing on my pullups I am at -32 work set for 5 reps, I am sure fresh, I could do 5 @ bodyweight, maybe tomorrow I will try just to see after my run. As far as my bench, my right arm keeps trying to rotate to gain leverage, it scares me because I have hurt that one before doing bench. I think I will just do DB Bench on Friday.

I'm finally below 200 (for today)!!

Food Log Attached
    Attached Images

Just a quick note, I remeasured my BF today. 19%! That's 5% in 10 days... wow.

OK, so the soreness is gone, finally. Not much else to report, everything is same old same old, I'm averaging .5 lbs a day lost, which I am sure is going to dry up quick especially once my BF gets lower.

MACROS:
    FAT:123
    CHO:18
    PRO:176

Calories:1970
    Weight:199

Ran 5k today nice and slow; at the turn around I did 5 strict pullups, could have done more, but that is coming later.

Food Log Attached:
    Attached Images

Yesterday, my lifts were weak. I am resetting the program and following the Wichita Falls program with a 10% decrease starting monday.

MACROS:
    FAT:122
    CHO:14
    PRO:190

Calories:1971

No change in weight in the last 3 days... However I took my 2 weeks progress pics this morning and I can see a difference and that is all that matters.

Food Log Attached
    Attached Images

Energy Levels were great! Getting excited about changing the routine on monday.

MACROS:
    FAT:132
    CHO:19
    PRO:161

Calories:1985

If anyone was wondering; I posted my 2 week progression photos over at the Pic Sub. Threads Named 2 Weeks Keto and Starting Strength

Food Log Attached
    Attached Images

Not much to report... did some extra chest work yesterday, I had a buddy with me that knew a bit about benching so he helped me out with some pointers.

MACROS:
    FAT:127
    CHO:12
    PRO:200

Calories:2146
    Weight:198

I killed on protein! Probably because I ate 1.5lbs of beef... like a boss.

Foodlog attached.
    Attached Images

Short run before breakfast, good energy levels but I'm having a hard time drinking as much water as I'd like... just remembering to is my problem.

MACROS:
    FAT:120
    CHO:8
    PRO:199

Calories:1964
    Weight:198

I found pork rinds... I have done so good only eating whole foods up until this point... but damn those pork rinds are good.
    Attached Images

20140302 and 20140303

I missed a couple days of posting, still going strong on the diet though weightloss has slowed again. I expected this so, whatever. I did my first interval HIIT running today. I did well. Very pleased!

Any ways, see attached for macros/foodlog. I'm not going to be posting them in the post, just a pain in the ass since its just for my records anyhow.

Energy levels were great!
    Attached Images

Foodlog attached.

I did my wichita falls plan today, 190 Squat, 115 Shoulder Press, 225 Deadlift. I'm starting it with a reset from my weights with the Starting Strength, so that I don't progress too fast in the beginning and quickly stall. Not much just 10%. Monday when I started we did pullups and I did them @ bodyweight! 7-6-5. Pretty good considering that three weeks ago I could only do 1. Energy levels are good still, though today I have a land nav course day/night which puts me on the move and is not friendly to the diet. Pretty much I will be eating 2000 cal of eggs and hamburger patties, tonight I will eat a can of spinach before bed though so I will get a little bit of micros in. Need to restock my greens, I only have 2 cans of spinach left and I'm missing my collard greens.
    Attached Images

Foodlog attached. As I suspected, horrible food intake yesterday since I was walking all day... legs are a little stiff/sore today too, the run this morning helped a bit.
    Attached Images

So, this log is being retired, I think or at least moved to weekly posts... I need something more comprehensive. Anyhow, here are this weekend's foodlog. Since I guess this is jsut for me, no worries. If I keep on fitday, (which I may not since they don't have a Droid mobile app) I may come back and post weekly. We will see. I'm still going to keto @ 2000 calories, just not log progress here.
    Attached Images