amazinmets73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weightlifting for cyclists?

I've decided to get back into road biking, with the goal of racing. Any cyclists on the forums? Road cyclists are encouraged to be very light, but strength is still important. What lifts would be optimal?

Resident Pedal Masher robbie_vlad's Avatar
    robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I road & mountain bike as well as having been commuting solely by bike for the past 2 years. I'm not going to spell out a routine for you, but some important basics (in my opinion) for incorporating weightlifting and cycling with the intent of progressing in both;

- 2-4 days/week in the gym (depending on your schedule, cycling load, time of season, etc.)
    - full body or upper-lower split (depending on your preferences, schedule, goals, cycling load, etc.)
    - incorporate both heavy & explosive compound/core lifts (squat variations, clean & press, bench, dips, pull-ups, push press, medicine ball throws for core/upper body, weighted sit-ups, etc.)
    - incorporate sport related plyometric exercises (split jump, box jump, depth jumps, etc.)

Don't underestimate the power of training on-bike for muscle/power as well. Using intervals and knowing the terrain around you, you can get wicked workouts that will leave you feeling like you just went through an intense squat session.
    Is breá liom mo eagla.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
    I've decided to get back into road biking, with the goal of racing. Any cyclists on the forums? Road cyclists are encouraged to be very light, but strength is still important. What lifts would be optimal?
    I don't coach cyclists, but I have helped a couple in the past. Lifting for cycling is no different to any other sport, really. If you try to "train for endurance", it won't help. 50 reps in the gym does nothing to prepare for 180km on a bike. Train for improved strength as part of a GPP (General Physical Preparedness) program. The lifts themselves are relatively unimportant in the grand scheme. I would recommend a lower body focus, though.

If minimising size changes is important to you, then concentrate on frequent, short training sessions - Power to the People by Pavel is a good resource for this. Most people aren't in a position where they'll need to worry about it, though. If you're a novice, just pick up Starting Strength like everyone else.

The one thing that I have picked up from looking at the way the Australian track team trains is that the single leg press is used extensively. Not sure that is helpful for you, but for advanced track sprinters, it is a useful exercise.