Thread: belt or shoes

trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10)

belt or shoes

Ok, so for Valentines day my wife said she'd buy me a new belt or pl shoes. If i go with the belt, it's gonna be a 10mm inzer lever, if it's shoes.....then I'm not sure, possibly the new Reebok pl shoe from mark bell.

I'm torn between the two. Although i am leaning towards the belt because i don't know it's justifiable to get shoes when my wrestling shoes seem to be ok for now.

What shoes would you guys recommend? Under $100.

Thanks guys

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

Registered User lightweightiron's Avatar
    lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000)
    In. I don't compete but in need of some shoes.
    Want to get big and strong? Read these three pages:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/progressive-overload/

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/06/13/trigger-point-release/

5' 7" 175 18%
    S 435/D 465/B 335
    Total 1235

09-Present USAF Crew

trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10) trontheman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm confused on the elevated heel. Is it really necessary if you have good ankle mobility? I go atg, it feels natural to me. Would a raised heel offer any benefits? I have no problem reaching depth.

Thanks man

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by trontheman View Post
    I'm confused on the elevated heel. Is it really necessary if you have good ankle mobility? I go atg, it feels natural to me. Would a raised heel offer any benefits? I have no problem reaching depth.

Thanks man
    if you are a deep squatter, oly shoes are great. Besides the fact that they are very sturdy, stable, the heel does help. Even if your ankle mobility is good, an oly shoe allows you to reach the same level of knee travel easier, the reason for this is IMo is because the closer you get to end range of motion, the more resistance there is from the opposite muscle to get there, so while you mgiht have the dorsiflexon necessary, the oly shoes make getting there easier. THat said,, this is more important if you are an oly squatter catching a clean or snatch.

I say go for the belt and then get shoes later on if you want. Wrestling shoes are great gym shoes.
    "Do not subordinate fundamental principles to minor details."

Physiotherapy instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/dayyan.physio/

sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Definitely a belt. In my mind there is no question that having a solid belt that will last you a lifetime is alot more important than the shoes you're squatting/deadlifting/benchin in.
    Get Big or Die Training - Only the Strong Survive

Meet PR: 464/348/551
    Gym PR: 505/405/585

Travelin' Man Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151132293&highlight=travelin+man

Firefist44 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Firefist44 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Firefist44 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Firefist44 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Firefist44 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Firefist44 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Firefist44 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Firefist44 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Firefist44 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Firefist44 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Firefist44 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Xuaxace View Post

I say go for the belt and then get shoes later on if you want. Wrestling shoes are great gym shoes.
    Agree on all accounts.
    Animal Rep

instagram: @onelargepanda / Follow for weekly Animal giveaways!

www.animalpak.com
    Twitter & Instagram @animalpak
    ******** @officialanimalpak

betaTIGER is on a distinguished road. (+10) betaTIGER is on a distinguished road. (+10) betaTIGER is on a distinguished road. (+10) betaTIGER is on a distinguished road. (+10) betaTIGER is on a distinguished road. (+10) betaTIGER is on a distinguished road. (+10) betaTIGER is on a distinguished road. (+10) betaTIGER is on a distinguished road. (+10) betaTIGER is on a distinguished road. (+10) betaTIGER is on a distinguished road. (+10) betaTIGER is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    definitely the inzer lever belt!

-they are quality products that last a lifetime
    -improve poundages for both deadlifts and squats
    -teaches correct abdominal bracing technique for overall safety during compound movements
    ------
    1129.9lbs @ 176.6lbs

DFO Crew
    Still Waiting For Suikoden VI Crew
    Not Sheriff HXH Will End Before I Die Crew
    Mind Over Manlet Crew
    Powerlifting + Volleyball Crew
    Nike Crew

Registered User lightweightiron's Avatar
    lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000) lightweightiron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Does the shoes help with knee? I tend to get some patellar issues when squating heavy often and starting 5/3/1 I will be getting there. I just want to take it easier then normal since I already damaged it before. I normally squat and DL in some flat etnies skate shoes but they have cushion in it which doesn't provide a stable platform for my feet. What size heel would be good for me?

OP, since you got wrestling shoes I would get the belt.
    Want to get big and strong? Read these three pages:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/progressive-overload/

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/06/13/trigger-point-release/

5' 7" 175 18%
    S 435/D 465/B 335
    Total 1235

09-Present USAF Crew

I think i will go the belt route. I've been torn on getting lifting shoes for awhile now, i just can't seem to justify the price, since my wrestling shoes work fine and are cheap.

Side note......what wraps would you guys recommend? I don't compete or anything, and I'm just wanting a good all around wrap that i can wear for heavy singles and also rep sets. something that isn't so much of a cast feel.

Thanks guys

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by trontheman View Post
    I think i will go the belt route. I've been torn on getting lifting shoes for awhile now, i just can't seem to justify the price, since my wrestling shoes work fine and are cheap.

Side note......what wraps would you guys recommend? I don't compete or anything, and I'm just wanting a good all around wrap that i can wear for heavy singles and also rep sets. something that isn't so much of a cast feel.

Thanks guys
    Lol you can't justify buying the single most important piece of lifting equipment and what literally connects you to the ground, but you want to waste money on knee wraps when you don't even compete. That's like someone who is looking to increase the safety of their car buying a spoiler and then driving around on bald tires. Buy a quality squat/bench shoe & and a quality deadlift shoe that are built to execute the lifts properly and that's all you need. I've had my deadlift shoes since 2010 and squat/bench shoes since 2011. They are both in perfect condition after this many years and will continue to last me for years on end.

1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you don't have a belt, the belt will do far more to increase your performance than the shoes. You should realistically get both, though.

And don't get a 10mm belt. 13mm is the maximum allowable thickness. If you get a 10mm belt, you'll eventually want to buy a 13mm belt later on. 13mm belts give more carryover.
    www.PowerliftingToWin.com

Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Justin.Martin is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I am going to have to agree with most everyone else here. Go with the belt. I dont know what your lifts are like, but in PL, a belt is one thing that you can use to help all 3 first (depending on lifting pref/style)

Oly Shoes are not for everyone and there are a lot of Raw lifters who dont wear them.

Personally, I love my Nike Romaleos II. I think they give me so much extra stability under heavier weights and allows for maximum power transfer when I squat. I have used them for deads as well, but it does put a greater strain on the hamstrings and glutes.

Either choice you go with, should last you for a very long time. So spend the little extra on quality items.
    "I used to fight the pain, but recently this became clear to me: pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness."- Henry Rollins

My strength training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159468331

October 25th Meet Goals @ 165lbs:
    Squat - 455 Raw w/wraps
    Bench - 275
    Deadlift - 500

JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JBisGod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I can and do squat and deadlift beltless all the time.

I'll never squat without my squat shoes ever again.

I vote shoes. Makes a huge difference that you don't understand until you have a pair.

The $85 pair posted above look like a solid choice. I'm confident my shoes and belt will both last many more years to come so it's a small price to pay really.

bodybuilder03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodybuilder03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodybuilder03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodybuilder03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodybuilder03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodybuilder03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodybuilder03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodybuilder03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodybuilder03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodybuilder03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodybuilder03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I must go with the general consensus as well and go with the belt for sure!!

As for shoes I go between my Otomix Shoes and my good old trusty wrestling shoes, neither have let me down yet!
    AI Sports Nutrition Dir. of Sales/Marketing

Save 20% off on all AI Sports Nutrition products when you go to checkout all month long.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ai/ai.htm

********.com/AISportsNutrition

Subscribe to our newsletter at http://forms.aweber.com/form/85/1635053985.htm
    Ask me for samples!
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I vote shoes. If you're standing on top of garbage, the rest doesn't matter.

kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I vote belt first since the wrestling shoes are working for you...nothing wrong with wrestling shoes, they're grippy and non-compressible.
    My powerlifting journal:
    Adaptation ~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169905603