Jyku has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Deadlift Progression opinions ?

Hi guys an thx in advance for participating!
    I am creating this post to get an idea from more advanced lifters if what I am doing is ok and should stick with it or not.

Lets see> I am 24 yrs old at 177cm/77kg or 5ft9+ at 170-175lbs.

I have been working out for about 6 months now , and I am curious about my DL progression is it normal/good/bad for a natural lifter(btw not hating the ones that use roids, If I had the $$ I would be full of T and stuff as well ) .

Now in this 6 months I DL for about 10 -12 times like 1ce every 1-2 weeks when I first tried DL my PR was 140KG/315lbs for 1rep now after 10-12 DL sessions I just hit today (with straps /no belt ) 170KG/375lbs for 1 PR at 77kg/170lbs BW at abut 15% BF and 177cm/5ft9+ tall.

What do you think is this a good progression should I stick with what I am doing ? what about you do you remember when you 1st DL how much did you improved in lets say 1year of training?

Thanks again, looking forward for your contributions to this post!

tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you're making steady progress, then keep doing what you're doing. Personally, my deadlift increased faster in the first six months, but I also started out much lower, around 185 lb for a 1RM.

Also, you asked if what you're doing is okay, but you didn't actually tell us what your deadlift routine is, other than being every 1-2 weeks.
    1097 @ 161: http://youtu.be/zc9PkemUmHs

Meet PRs: 408/215/485
    Gym PRs: 419/220/507

www.youtube.com/user/tonenotbulk

Originally Posted by tonenotbulk View Post
    If you're making steady progress, then keep doing what you're doing. Personally, my deadlift increased faster in the first six months, but I also started out much lower, around 185 lb for a 1RM.

Also, you asked if what you're doing is okay, but you didn't actually tell us what your deadlift routine is, other than being every 1-2 weeks.
    SRY my bad so I DL about once a week or two usually on BACK-day and it is something like 1st warm-up 10 reps 2nd 8 reps / 3rd and forth set for 2-4reps (increasing the weight proportionally of course and resting whatever I feel I need 2-5+ minutes)and then I try singles , and sometimes I finish with one last set of + 8-10 reps (with 2 plates on each side focusing on holding the bar while up for several 5+ seconds to improve grip). After DL I just do bodybuilding stuff for back , you know rows/pullups/chin-ups/pulldowns/T-BAR ETC.

So basically , to sum it up , in 10+DL sessions I went from 140KG to 170KG +30KG at 77KG BW.
    That's 2x BW + 16 more kg.

(PS before I went to the gym I used to have a physical job in constructions for a while probably that's why I 1st DL 140KG since I was sort of used to pick stuff from the floor)
    Last edited by Jyku; 02-12-2014 at 09:34 AM.

adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You're a little taller and thinner than I am but fairly similar. I used to work out in highschool but then I got fat and lazy. I started seriously (as in well researched) working out about 7 months ago and I have had similar progression. There are a few guys who also deadlift in my gym at similar weight but they let their low back round pretty bad. I think from the 300-450ish range you can still feel you are progressing and get away with poor form without immediately hurting yourself, which leads me to my question. Having only 10+ DL workouts, how is your form? If you have good form and you've added 60lbs to your PR then you're probably doing pretty well. If you have crap form and you just wanted it more that day to get a new PR you aren't doing yourself any long term favors.
    Recreational lifter, 5'8" @ 191lbs. Best gym lifts 385/260/405

Originally Posted by adpowah View Post
    You're a little taller and thinner than I am but fairly similar. I used to work out in highschool but then I got fat and lazy. I started seriously (as in well researched) working out about 7 months ago and I have had similar progression. There are a few guys who also deadlift in my gym at similar weight but they let their low back round pretty bad. I think from the 300-450ish range you can still feel you are progressing and get away with poor form without immediately hurting yourself, which leads me to my question. Having only 10+ DL workouts, how is your form? If you have good form and you've added 60lbs to your PR then you're probably doing pretty well. If you have crap form and you just wanted it more that day to get a new PR you aren't doing yourself any long term favors.
    Well the problem is at my syssy gym in 6 months , I only saw once another guy DL he seemd pro (posing dropping his pants and stuff ) quite massive and he was doing 180kg/4plates for 5reps , therefore I cant compare or ask for advice since nobody does DL this is why I have to use the internet ....

As far as I can tell I should have decent form , I first watched all of Elliot Hulse videos on DL form on youtube, before starting and in my 10-12 DL sessions
    I never felt any sort of discomfort/pain in my back just some soreness but that's probably because after DL I workout Back day 1-2hours bodybuilding stuff
    Also I did not felt the need to use a belt so far , Today I used straps for the 1st time ( btw I could not believe that with straps I was able to do 17 pull-ups 7+ than I can without straps-10 lol). So I would say I should have a good decent form since I don't feel any discomfort in my back . The only weird thing I feel sometimes is like rigid and stiffness/lack of flexibility, mobility in my hips /butt/ankles , when I deadlift or squat.

adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adpowah has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The similarities continue. Mark Bell also has some good stuff on Dead Lifting via youtube. For mobility issues I've found Kelley Starrett to have a lot of good information I even picked up his book from amazon for about $30 and found it super useful. That being said, if you can continue to progress with good form you're doing well.
    Recreational lifter, 5'8" @ 191lbs. Best gym lifts 385/260/405

tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tonenotbulk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Jyku View Post
    As far as I can tell I should have decent form , I first watched all of Elliot Hulse videos on DL form on youtube, before starting and in my 10-12 DL sessions
    To be sure, you should take a video from the side if possible and we can check.

That being said, if your form is good and you continue progressing, I wouldn't worry too much for now about your programming.
    1097 @ 161: http://youtu.be/zc9PkemUmHs

Meet PRs: 408/215/485
    Gym PRs: 419/220/507

www.youtube.com/user/tonenotbulk

Originally Posted by tonenotbulk View Post
    To be sure, you should take a video from the side if possible and we can check.

That being said, if your form is good and you continue progressing, I wouldn't worry too much for now about your programming.
    I will try it next week dunno if my gym allows it or not ... . Anyway thx for your replies , and keep posting guys, if you want, I would be interested to know how much your DL improved in let say your first year .

justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

In responce to progression -in 2011 I started deadlifting at around a fat 240 and like u PRed at 315 I cycled through light medium and heavy days with random percentages and reps I made up myself and 8 weeks later pulled 365 then 8 weeks later 405 then 8 weeks later no progress. Now I look back now and cringe at my form how I didn't hurt myself at that point I have no idea.

Didn't really train throughout 2012. Started back 2013 (hurt myself deadlifting working on form imagine that) started back in july being super strict on form and working up 10lbs a workout on a 5x5. First time I maxed 365. 8 weeks later 405 8 weeks later 425 had working sets of around 355 and started missing reps switched to 5/3/1 and hit 455 at the end of december . form now is better on max reps than they used to be on working sets.

I know my bodyweight is higher than yours but that was my progression
    Last edited by justinvb_657; 02-13-2014 at 06:57 AM.
    Current -365/300/495
    Goals 2015- 405/340/550

Heaviest Weight - 310

Current - 207

"I do today what others wont so tomorrow I can do what others cant"

alrenzi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alrenzi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alrenzi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alrenzi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alrenzi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alrenzi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alrenzi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alrenzi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alrenzi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alrenzi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alrenzi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try Wendler's 5/3/1 its a solid program for strength gains, especially on deadlift. You're forcing yourself to increase the weight every cycle, and rep ranges are constantly being changed so you in theory should not plateau. Just my 2 cents.
    Deadlift: 510 lbs
    Squat: 425 lbs
    Bench: 325 lbs

Used to wrestle in college but got too many concussions. Now I just lift weights cause I can.

Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    your problem is mostly your ****ty programming.

Originally Posted by Rusty56 View Post
    your problem is mostly your ****ty programming.
    What do you mean ? I DL to little ? For a while 1.5-2 months I DL every week . Please explain what do you mean by $hity programming?

justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50) justinvb_657 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    He's saying your not on a cookie cutter proven program that has laid out linear progression that most newbs and intermediates need. I did 5x5 untill I stalled then moved to 5/3/1 and don't see an end insight on 5/3/1
    Current -365/300/495
    Goals 2015- 405/340/550

Heaviest Weight - 310

Current - 207

"I do today what others wont so tomorrow I can do what others cant"

Ok I will look into 5x5 and 5-3-1 thx for your input guys . I will see if I can film my DL form next week .

tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I remember I pulled 3 plates very shortly after I started lifting, don't remember exactly but it was definitely less than 6 months and I weighed around 150 lbs that time. However my progress slowed a lot since then, expect your deadlift to rise slower now. Also it has no point to compare your lifts and progression to other people. Absolutely no point and a bit of a worthless thread, no offence.

Originally Posted by tom11 View Post
    I remember I pulled 3 plates very shortly after I started lifting, don't remember exactly but it was definitely less than 6 months and I weighed around 150 lbs that time. However my progress slowed a lot since then, expect your deadlift to rise slower now. Also it has no point to compare your lifts and progression to other people. Absolutely no point and a bit of a worthless thread, no offence.
    NONE taken and THX for participating but I beg to differ , I want to compare results of similar people to check learn and improve myself , if you don't compare /ask I don't think/know how you can learn and better yourself , know what to expect as a natural lifter and if those expectations are not met than it is an indicator to change something up. In my honest opinion I think this is a post that could help other beginners too, besides myself.