Papapoopy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papapoopy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papapoopy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papapoopy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papapoopy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papapoopy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papapoopy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Papapoopy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Conditioning every single day? For MMA

Is it okay to do some form of conditioning every single day? I used to wrestle and I when I lost I was always outpaced or overpowered but not out wrestled because my technique was really solid (I was 155lbs at 160lbs weight class)
    I want to start MMA and I'm looking to get some good cardio this time. What kind of exercises should I do? Can I get a sample of your conditioning workouts?
    Also I want to get stronger. Should I incorporate my strength work with my conditioning or keep it separate?

ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    How much volume, in regards to training, your body can handle will be based on you as an individual and your diet. If you have some **** diet with low carbs and nothing but protein, like a lot of the guys on the nutrition section of the forum would tell you, will leave you burnt out and weak.

In regards to lifting...if you are interested in MMA consider strength work as a supplement and not the main part of your training. Stick with the basics and follow a relatively low volume approach.

Conditioning...vary it up but spend a lot of time doing interval training that is specific to your sport. What I mean by this is try to imitate the work to rest ratios...so in pro boxing we have 3 mins on 1 min off. Now I am not saying just specifically train this work-rest ratio but experiment, I find the best intervals for me on the heavy bag are 1 min on 20-30 seconds off as I can keep the intervals very intense without spending a lot of time resting. I think MMA is 5 mins but I am not sure. But don't limit conditioning to just fighting style training...track/hill work would be great as you could alternate fighting workouts with them. Just experiment and see what works. I also do long brisk walks very relaxing for the body.
    Last edited by ironmaniac508; 02-11-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    6'4", 215

Obsessed with Latinas

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ironmaniac508 View Post
    How much volume, in regards to training, your body can handle will be based on you as an individual and your diet. If you have some **** diet with low carbs and nothing but protein, like a lot of the guys on the nutrition section of the forum would tell you, will leave you burnt out and weak.
    That is a sweeping generalisation and is demonstrably incorrect as such. Some people excel on such diets and some don't. Generalisations don't work on either side of the equation.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Papapoopy View Post
    Is it okay to do some form of conditioning every single day? I used to wrestle and I when I lost I was always outpaced or overpowered but not out wrestled because my technique was really solid (I was 155lbs at 160lbs weight class)
    I want to start MMA and I'm looking to get some good cardio this time. What kind of exercises should I do? Can I get a sample of your conditioning workouts?
    Also I want to get stronger. Should I incorporate my strength work with my conditioning or keep it separate?
    Your strength and conditioning training are not two separate things. They are one entity. The programming may separate them, but S&C is a supplement to your technical training for GPP.

To really get a good angle on conditioning for MMA, read the work of Martin Rooney, Joel Jamieson and Ross Enamait. When I fought, I used Rooney's routines. Now, on the occasion I'm involved with MMA, I use what I've learned from Jamieson's book.

All three have a large amount of free resources. Rooney, in particular, is adept at programming strength training with conditioning. Jamieson is at the cutting edge of conditioning practice and Enamait is an old-school guys who gets great results.

ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    That is a sweeping generalisation and is demonstrably incorrect as such. Some people excel on such diets and some don't. Generalisations don't work on either side of the equation.
    I personally believe ketogenic style diets have no business in regards to athletic training, especially a metabolically demanding sport like MMA. Low carb is a relative term, are we talking a low total amount or low as a percentage of the diet? I did a ketogenic diet 3 years ago for several months, my body adapted to using fat as fuel but I would have to eat constantly and my recovery from workouts was no where near what it was when I consumed more carbs.
    6'4", 215

Obsessed with Latinas

Originally Posted by ironmaniac508 View Post
    I personally believe ketogenic style diets have no business in regards to athletic training, especially a metabolically demanding sport like MMA. Low carb is a relative term, are we talking a low total amount or low as a percentage of the diet? I did a ketogenic diet 3 years ago for several months, my body adapted to using fat as fuel but I would have to eat constantly and my recovery from workouts was no where near what it was when I consumed more carbs.
    I'm not going to get into an ideological debate because, frankly, I don't have an ideology to defend. What I know is that different diets work for different people at different times. Suggesting one diet has no merit despite a significant portion of the specific population using the diet is not rational in my opinion.

That is all.