Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Supersets for Legs

I've done some reading around on the internet about supersets and haven't really found a good answer to the following question, so was hoping for some input:

When you superset legs, do you take a hit to the weight you use, hence shortchanging your strength/hypertrophy goals for conditioning?

Specifically, I'm talking about supersetting quads/hams, since they are antogonists. Though, since most lifts aren't purely quads or hams, I have reservations.

Probably the most practical example I've come across is squats/leg curls. Since leg curls are a ham isolation movement, it makes sense it would go well supersetting with a quad dominant movement like squats. What concerns me, however, is the hamstring involvement in squats, not only if you break parallel, but stabilizing you on the negative. It makes me think I'd end up having to lower the weight on squats, leading to a less effective workout.

Another superset I've come across is front squats/RDLs. This seems like it could work for the same reasons as above, but I'm honestly not sure if I have it in me to superset front squats with another compound, lol. Has anyone tried this and found they have it in them?

The main reason I'm looking into this is because I fairly recently started supersetting my upper body workouts and am enjoying it. It also feels good to get more work done in less time. back/chest, back/shoulders, and bis/tris seems to work nicely with little to no sacrifice in weight.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by Rasputin4; 02-09-2014 at 02:05 PM.

doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Rasputin4 View Post
    I've done some reading around on the internet about supersets and haven't really found a good answer to the following question, so what hoping for some input:

When you superset legs, do you take a hit to the weight you use, hence shortchanging your strength/hypertrophy goals for conditioning?

Specifically, I'm talking about supersetting quads/hams, since they are antogonists. Though, since most lifts aren't purely quads or hams, I have reservations.

Probably the most practical example I've come across is squats/leg curls. Since leg curls are a ham isolation movement, it makes sense it would go well supersetting with a quad dominant movement like squats. What concerns me, however, is the hamstring involvement in squats, not only if you break parallel, but stabilizing you on the negative. It makes me think I'd end up having to lower the weight on squats, leading to a less effective workout.

Another superset I've come across is front squats/RDLs. This seems like it could work for the same reasons as above, but I'm honestly not sure if I have it in me to superset front squats with another compound, lol. Has anyone tried this and found they have it in them?

The main reason I'm looking into this is because I fairly recently started supersetting my upper body workouts and am enjoying it. It also feels good to get more work done in less time. back/chest, back/shoulders, and bis/tris seems to work nicely with little to no sacrifice in weight.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
    For legs, supersetting iso with iso would be more realistic, as opposed to compound w/ iso like you suggested.

For example, leg curl/rdl with leg extension. This way, antagonist muscles aren't involved in both exercises causing the conflict you mentioned.

Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by doughnut91 View Post
    For legs, supersetting iso with iso would be more realistic, as opposed to compound w/ iso like you suggested.

For example, leg curl/rdl with leg extension. This way, antagonist muscles aren't involved in both exercises causing the conflict you mentioned.
    I appreciate the input!

The thing is, I work out at home and don't have access to leg extensions, though I'm not really big on this movement, anyway.

Perhaps a superset of something like lunges and leg curls, since they are somewhat less "big" movements, though they aren't entirely antagonistic, either.

I guess I was more wondering about supersetting the bulk of the leg workout to get more work done in less time.
    Last edited by Rasputin4; 02-09-2014 at 02:11 PM.

repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Personally, I wouldn't want to superset squats with anything - they're quite enough by themselves!

As doughnut91 said, opposing supersets are probably best kept for isolation exercises - especially on the legs.

Having said that, supersets don't have to just be for opposing muscle groups - you can used them for pre-exhausts.
    Change what you do and you'll change who you are.

Originally Posted by repsandsets View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't want to superset squats with anything - they're quite enough by themselves!

As doughnut91 said, opposing supersets are probably best kept for isolation exercises - especially on the legs.

Having said that, supersets don't have to just be for opposing muscle groups - you can used them for pre-exhausts.
    Thanks!

I see that it would be difficult to superset with squats purely due to how exhausting the movement is.

Does anyone know if supersetting squats/leg curls or front squats/RDLs would cause a decrease in weight used?

doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Rasputin4 View Post
    Does anyone know if supersetting squats/leg curls or front squats/RDLs would cause a decrease in weight used?
    Undoubtedly

I Do It On My Own xxsupergman25xx's Avatar
    xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000)
    i agree with. i dont like to superset squats and anything else. also dont like to deadlift and superset with anything else. both require a lot of work and energy. Youll sacrifice more than you gain.
    http://forms.aweber.com/form/85/1635053985.htm - Newsletter!

Posts are my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.
    -----------------------------------
    Baseball insane

-----------------------------------
    i do it all on my own

Undoubtedly
    This doesn't surprise me. It makes me wonder why this actually works for some people. I recall reading how Arnold used the back squat/leg curl superset. That guy was huge. Maybe it was genetics plus roids, but how do people make such great progress with supersets like that when you have to lower the weight to do them?

Originally Posted by xxsupergman25xx View Post
    i agree with. i dont like to superset squats and anything else. also dont like to deadlift and superset with anything else. both require a lot of work and energy. Youll sacrifice more than you gain.
    That sounds about right, man. With upper body, the energy expenditure isn't so great and I can pull off supersets and even end up feeling like I could stand to incorporate more sets because the workout gets wrapped up faster. I imagine with legs, it would be a struggle to even get through the workout and I'd have to lower the weight, anyway.

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

This

Undoubtedly

And this.

From what I read, sounds like your only opportunity for a superset which is a good idea, is leg curls superset with core work.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723