Retribution235 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Running AND Bulking-Is It Possible?

Hey all,
    I'm pretty new to the world of bulking. I run cross-country (5k's), and I also want to put on some (not much) bulk for aesthetics. Is that possible even while running 30+ miles a week? I've read a lot about catabolism vs anabolism, but I'm still confused about whether you CAN'T build muscle in catabolism or whether it's just way harder. Also, since I have my leg program pretty much set does anyone have a good upper body/core workout? Thanks!
    Retribution

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Yes you can. It may not be optimal but would undoubtedly still work.

Read Alex Viada's articles on completehumanperformance.com - he does both the running and the lifting and will give advice on how to do both efficiently.

ShadowFox08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShadowFox08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShadowFox08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShadowFox08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShadowFox08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShadowFox08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShadowFox08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShadowFox08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShadowFox08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShadowFox08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShadowFox08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yes, its possible, and I'd advise it. Cardio helps a lot with cutting down rest times between sets.

You might have to cut it down a little while bulking though. It can affect gains on legs, and you'll have to eat more calories to make up for the calories burned from running(if you run a lot, which you do).

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    you will just need to eat a lot probably 3500 calories or so. but dont know if its going to be any beneficial to your running. extra weight will decrease your performance probably

sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50) sfalexi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yup. You can. But 30+ miles a week is tough man. Not for nothing, but if your focus is 5ks, you do NOT need to run that much a week. Unless you're really gunning to WIN all those 5ks.

I run a 5k a week and I do 20 minutes of HIIT training 3 other days a week (rowing machine, jump rope, and stationary bike). Here's a pic of me at the height of my bulk....

Of course my 5k time was not great, but I kept doing it (I'm in the Army so I have to run a 2 mile test....the one about one month before this picture was a 15:30 2 mile run). I'm now doing a slow cut phase for this Summer's competitions and I'm sure my 5k time (and 2 mile time) will be getting back to about 7:30 min mile pace.

It's important to know that running 5k and bulking are not exactly two complimentary things, so don't expect to EXCEL at either. But there's no reason you can't make progress at one, even if you have to slow your progress with the other (or depending on where you're at, maybe not make ANY progress).

It's not like you HAVE to be 100% one way or the other. Go ahead and do both.

But 30+ miles a week? If you're trying to win your 5ks, maybe this is necessary. For me, I'm ok with participating and doing ok in them. To me, I'd rather make more progress bodybuilding.
    1) Eat right
    2) Train hard
    3) Repeat

Army Strong

Personal Records:
    Squat: 402.5 x 1 (9 Jan 16)
    Deadlift: 485x1 (9 Jan 16)
    Bench: 286.5x1 (9 Jan 16)

Thanks guys. Yeah 30+ is intense but I do run competitively on a team. I'm still trying to break the 20 min mark (not quite there yet) and I know bulk will slow me down but i don't want too much. Just enough to do look good (thinking maybe 5 pounds-ish). I'm not sure I'll be able to eat that much though. That's a whole crapload! Another question: what's a good compound workout that hits your triceps (besides benching and/or pushups)?

XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Overhead Press, Incline Bench Press, Dumbbell Bench Press, Shoulder Press (for dat shoulder development), Close Grip Bench Press, and even Floor Press. There's tons mate.

AgentSmitty has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Yes you can. It may not be optimal but would undoubtedly still work.

Read Alex Viada's articles on completehumanperformance.com - he does both the running and the lifting and will give advice on how to do both efficiently.
    He's helping me train for both powerlifting and running a 5km. So it is possible. So far I'm seeing good results.

Thanks all. One last question: since I'm already doing the running which takes a while, do you have any suggestions on quick (30 min and under) workouts? Like I said, I'm kinda new and the amount of information out there is kinda overwhelming.

Euell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euell is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    not assuming you remain in a calorific surplus whilst taking account of the calories burnt from the running.