Stanjohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Walking on a division 1 team

I plan to attend on of new yorks suny schools this fall. I'm just wondering how I would go about making it to the football team. The thing is I'm already going to the school and wondered what my chances are at making the football team.

A little background information.

I've played on a varsity team before, this year during my senior year. The problem for me is that I had never played football before. I went a couple of months barely understanding what we were doing and never really got a hang of it until the positions were set and we were 2 games through the season. That's when I reay got into it, which I guess is pretty silly considering it was after 9 months of practicing, lifting and condition during the offseason. Anyway, I played right guard, and nose tackle and I played a few games considering we averaged 41 points a game but I don't think I was meant to play that position. Before the season I was as lazy as they came. I didn't play sports, I stayed inside all the time, never ran, ate whatever and what not. So I guess the obvious place for a 5'11"ish 200+ pound kid who's never played before was in the trenches. It was fun but i never really loved it. When I first started my 40 was at 5.5 and by the end of the season with all the sprinting and working out I was under 5 just by a bit. Even then I still felt pudgy, I wasn't at my peak and I knew it. But I realized the weight loss had affected my game because kids were pushing me around so I went up to about 210 and of course lost speed. Without a gym membership and the New York cold I haven't been getting much exercise. I'm currently 210 5'11 around 17-20% body fat..

I think in full confidence that I could be a quarterback with practice and hard work. I'm willing to work hard but I don't know where to start. I just got a glimpse of what it's like to play football and want to play again some day.

Any advice is good advice. Thank you in advance.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lots of slots open on Division 1 teams for people who have never played QB before.

Go play intramural football or even better go out for your rugby club in college.

You cant compete against people that have ACTUALLY worked hard for years to get a spot.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    lots of slots open on Division 1 teams for people who have never played QB before.

Go play intramural football or even better go out for your rugby club in college.

You cant compete against people that have ACTUALLY worked hard for years to get a spot.
    I'm not exactly getting what you're saying. First you're saying there's a lot of open slots for first time qbs then you say I should play intramural (which I really wouldn't mind I love the sport) then you say rugby which I definitely don't think I could do. After that you're saying I won't be able to compete because people have been trying to for a longer time. Im more concerned with making the team in the first place, competing against the other players is another battle, and something I'm definitely willing to do.

I'm just not entirely sure what you're trying to say.

If anyone is reading this, I'd just like to know what college coaches look for in a QB. I plan to work my ass off to fit any requirement, gain any skill that I can get to fit the position.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Stanjohnson View Post
    I'm not exactly getting what you're saying. First you're saying there's a lot of open slots for first time qbs then you say I should play intramural (which I really wouldn't mind I love the sport) then you say rugby which I definitely don't think I could do. After that you're saying I won't be able to compete because people have been trying to for a longer time. Im more concerned with making the team in the first place, competing against the other players is another battle, and something I'm definitely willing to do.

I'm just not entirely sure what you're trying to say.

If anyone is reading this, I'd just like to know what college coaches look for in a QB. I plan to work my ass off to fit any requirement, gain any skill that I can get to fit the position.
    The first line is sarcasm. The rest is advice. I think good advice in your case. D1 QB is a massive jump for someone with very little football.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Stanjohnson View Post
    If anyone is reading this, I'd just like to know what college coaches look for in a QB.
    Guys who have performed extremely well as QBs in high school and have the attributes to take it to the next level.

thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    We don't know how good you are, put up a highlight tape and post it. Then show the schools you're interested in with your credentials and find out if they think you're any good.

If you don't have a tape you're probably not good enough or weren't proactive enough to make one
    Bench: 255lbs (115kg)
    Squat: 320lbs (145kg)
    Deadlift: 430lbs (195kg)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will." Vince Lombardi.

Originally Posted by thenewguy23 View Post
    We don't know how good you are, put up a highlight tape and post it. Then show the schools you're interested in with your credentials and find out if they think you're any good.

If you don't have a tape you're probably not good enough or weren't proactive enough to make one
    Go back and read OPs post. He has nver played QB before. Hence, no highlight reel. Unless he wants to make one of himself just throwing the ball into the air, like Napoleon Dynamite's uncle.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Go back and read OPs post. He has nver played QB before. Hence, no highlight reel. Unless he wants to make one of himself just throwing the ball into the air, like Napoleon Dynamite's uncle.
    When are the basketball threads going to start?

Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    When are the basketball threads going to start?
    they usually start by now.

Hey brahs, I notice in my pick up games I dominate everyone. I havent played organized basketball before, but think I can walk on to Division I. What do you brahs think? Btw, I am 6'2 and play center and can deadlift 235.

noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    For the most part, walking on to a D1 sports teams is next to impossible even for players that are more than good enough. Most coaches put much effort into recruiting, so they don't see a need to pick up extra players through walk ons. Now, some of that will depend on the individual college coach, but 99% of players that attempt to walk on never make the team. My advice would be to not get your hopes up, but there is no reason not to try. Trying cannot hurt anything, and who knows? Maybe you could be that 1% that actually gets picked.
    For sick soccer skills, check out my website: http://nobletstreetsoccer.com/

Originally Posted by noblet10 View Post
    Maybe you could be that 1% that actually gets picked.
    if only the odds where that high. Show me one QB in Division one that walked on as a QB without ever having played the position before.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    For the most part, walking on to a D1 sports teams is next to impossible even for players that are more than good enough. Most coaches put much effort into recruiting, so they don't see a need to pick up extra players through walk ons. Now, some of that will depend on the individual college coach, but 99% of players that attempt to walk on never make the team. My advice would be to not get your hopes up, but there is no reason not to try. Trying cannot hurt anything, and who knows? Maybe you could be that 1% that actually gets picked.
    No, there are about 20-25 non scholarship(Walkons) players on every D1 team. It is just that all but maybe 1 or 2 are just scout team players, and 1 or 2 of them by the time they are sr's will be rewarded a scholarship. But majority of them don't even last their 4 years. Scout team RB's usually quit after a year or two.

The thing is, that every head coach handles the walkon process differently. Some have complete wide open tryouts to any student (these are rare), some then have invited tryouts, and some don't even have tryouts, they offer the spots just like they offer scholarships. It is usually the preferred walkons that eventually earn a scholarship in a couple years. These players are players who were heavily recruited, but the school used up their allotted scholarships on other players and invited this guy to be a walkon. He doesn't have to try out. He shows up like the rest of the recruits.

noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noblet10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    No, there are about 20-25 non scholarship(Walkons) players on every D1 team. It is just that all but maybe 1 or 2 are just scout team players, and 1 or 2 of them by the time they are sr's will be rewarded a scholarship. But majority of them don't even last their 4 years. Scout team RB's usually quit after a year or two.

The thing is, that every head coach handles the walkon process differently. Some have complete wide open tryouts to any student (these are rare), some then have invited tryouts, and some don't even have tryouts, they offer the spots just like they offer scholarships. It is usually the preferred walkons that eventually earn a scholarship in a couple years. These players are players who were heavily recruited, but the school used up their allotted scholarships on other players and invited this guy to be a walkon. He doesn't have to try out. He shows up like the rest of the recruits.
    You do realize out of those 20-25, 19-25 of them are invited to play, but with no scholarship. They are told they have a place on the team in some way, but they aren't receiving scholarship. This isn't unusual. However, the genuine walk on is extremely rare, almost non-existent. It does very much depend on the coach, but it's normally not a common thing.
    For sick soccer skills, check out my website: http://nobletstreetsoccer.com/

You do realize out of those 20-25, 19-25 of them are invited to play, but with no scholarship. They are told they have a place on the team in some way, but they aren't receiving scholarship. This isn't unusual. However, the genuine walk on is extremely rare, almost non-existent. It does very much depend on the coach, but it's normally not a common thing.
    You do realize that I mentioned that in my post, right? lol I don't think you read my post because you are just reiterating what I said.

I worked for a d1 FBS team. We had 110 players. 85 were scholarship players. Only a few of the 25 "walkon" players were non invitee. The rest were guys who were heavily recruited, even most had scholarships elsewhere, but wanted to play for us. Yes, they are still considered "walkon" even if they were invited. The team I worked for did not have walkon tryouts. It was invite only. And we went through several scout team runningbacks lol. The redshirting scholarship rb got a few reps against the first team, but they didn't want to risk it too much. So, that is where the scout team walkons come in handy. You get hurt, the trainers grab a shovel and toss you aside and call the next victim.

SnappinFool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SnappinFool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SnappinFool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SnappinFool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SnappinFool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SnappinFool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SnappinFool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SnappinFool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SnappinFool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SnappinFool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SnappinFool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    TBH, if you are trying for a QB position at the D1 level you need to re-evaluate. If you have a chance of playing ANYTHING it will be TE. You need to be honest with yourself though, am I really prepared to compete at the D-1 level. Look up some of the guys that this particular school just signed TODAY and will be enrolled next fall. The kids at the D-1 level are ALMOST NFL ready players now a days, most go out and pay big money for a summer trainer to get them to PEAK condition.

We are not trying to crush your dream, just open your eyes. High School football is for fun... D-1 football is a business... BIG business, collegiate football for that matter. Most of us have either played that level or worked with athletes at that level. Take it from someone that played 1AA ball, if you are not in PERFECT shape, condition, and SHARP as a razor at the position you wish to play you are wasting YOUR time. If you want to play, then do as someone said and play intramural football and find flag football leagues in your area. I can promise you, someone just doesn't say I'm going to be a QB. Most of these guys have been playing the game since Pee Wee and know how to be a field general. There is so much more than throwing and handing the ball off. You have NEVER stood behind a pass rush and had to read a flying defensive secondary. Trust me, even as a TE (which I played) you have to read much more than a blitzing backer and corner.

Sit down and have a heart to heart with YOURSELF. When/IF you make the decision to play just remember it is a business now, you may keep that kid feeling while playing but a high motor doesnt cut it at that level. Just be honest with yourself and decide if you REALLY think you are capable of making the cut.
    If you aren't going all the way, why go at all?-Joe Namath
    If you want to succeed, as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful- Eric Thomas

I guess these are some good responses, thanks for the insight people!

Registered User EndLineTraining's Avatar
    EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    HAHAHA as I was reading this I was think of Uncle Rico and then boom. Good call. Can there please be a rule of no asking "can play in college?" or "what position should I play?" without a highlight tape to get rid of these threads?
    CEO/Head Physical Preparation Coach- End Line Training Systems
    M.S. Kinesiology-Sport Sciences CSU Fullerton
    B.S. Exercise Science, USAW1
    www.endlinetraining.com
    www.********.com/endlinetraining
    Former D1 Football Player
    585 Back Squat
    405 Front Squat
    500 deadlift
    355 bench
    http://endlinetraining.com/2013/12/03/the-best-off-season-ever/
    365x3 Front Squat http://instagram.com/p/n6Fb3tjQsx/

Originally Posted by EndLineTraining View Post
    HAHAHA as I was reading this I was think of Uncle Rico and then boom. Good call. Can there please be a rule of no asking "can play in college?" or "what position should I play?" without a highlight tape to get rid of these threads?
    just wait till late July/August. you will get multiple threads every day. primarily guys that havent played, havent worked out all summer, and want a 3 week program to get ready to walk on at Oklahoma. oh yeah - they are "all heart" and are "willing to do whatever it takes" to achieve something "they have dreamed about since age 5".

sigh.

just wait till late July/August. you will get multiple threads every day. primarily guys that havent played, havent worked out all summer, and want a 3 week program to get ready to walk on at Oklahoma. oh yeah - they are "all heart" and are "willing to do whatever it takes" to achieve something "they have dreamed about since age 5".

sigh.
    Haven't dreamt of it since I was five and this was posted in January and if you read you'd know that I've been working out since last January. Now if you want to quit mocking me and post something helpful or even relevant to the topic that'd be great. Not sure what you're trying to do, if statistics clearly won't discourage me from attempting this, if seeing better players from my school and other schools not make it, then what makes you think posting something like that like I can't read it will? I was asking for help at being better at the position, you let me worry about the workout and the tryout. The worst thing that could happen is that I don't make the team, and I'm at the school I want to be at and in great shape.

Just a guy looking for some advice. As of now I'm practicing daily and working out and I'm not sure if I will tryout, I'll decide on that depending how I feel when the time comes. Thank you to the people who posted.

you can work out all you want. You can bench press 1000 pounds and run a 2.0 40 yard dash. You still have NEVER played a snap as QB or thrown a pass in a an actual game. And you want to walk on to a Division I team, which is big business and big money. You are ****ing delusional.

cheers.

ahqaf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just, play with confidence. Go ahead.Best of Luck. Thanks a lot for sharing.