Mahsatrainer1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face What type of work out do you do while fasted when doing a 24 Intermittent fasting?

What type of training would be more effective for burning fat while fasted? heavy weights or cardio/metabolic conditioning & abs?
    Also, I just started going on a surplus to build more muscle before I start cutting again and I want to know if
    I can still be able to BUILD MUSCLE on FASTING DAYS if I am on surplus and take in all my calories needed after my fast
    Or will I not be able to gain any muscle on fasting days since I'm working out fasted?
    The reason for doing IF while bulking is because I'm trying to avoid putting on fat as much as possible while I'm building because it would be a pain in the butt to loose all that fat again when I try to cut.. and I'm only doing 24 hour fast once per week and been doing this routine for 3 months now..

BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BubsNBean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sorry to break it to you, OP, but if you're eating in a surplus you're not going to be burning fat, even if you workout fasted.

You're body doesn't care if it gets all it's calories/nutrients in one giant meal or 6 tiny meals, it's as simple as this: Ins vs. outs. That is, what you're taking in, versus how much your body needs to maintain. Eat in a surplus and lift heavy = gain muscle and some fat. Eat at a deficit and lift heavy = lose fat and hopefully minimal muscle.

IF while bulking won't prevent you from putting on fat. How much you gain per week will determine how much fat you put on. If your maintenance is 1500 cals (for example) and you're eating 3000 on your IF days, you're going to gain too fast and put on fat, regardless of when you ate that food. If your maintenance is 1500 cals and you're eating 2000 on your IF days, you'll gain slower and likely less fat.

If you want to gain muscle and minimize fat, it's going to be a slow arduous process.

Cliffs
    -Calorie count/macros per day is what matters.
    -Bulking = some fat gain, depending on your surplus
    -Fasted workouts don't burn fat

**I once was a fat little hippo... BubsNBean's journey back to healthy**
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170112133

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Fat loss = Calorie deficit and staying consistent with a heavy lifting program.
    Building muscle = Calorie surplus and staying consistent with a heavy lifting program.

When building there are fat gains that come with it. It's part of the process. If you're looking to minimize fat gains, keep your calories slightly above maintenance.

IF is a personal preference and just another way to eat...nothing more.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Mahsatrainer1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BubsNBean View Post
    Sorry to break it to you, OP, but if you're eating in a surplus you're not going to be burning fat, even if you workout fasted.

You're body doesn't care if it gets all it's calories/nutrients in one giant meal or 6 tiny meals, it's as simple as this: Ins vs. outs. That is, what you're taking in, versus how much your body needs to maintain. Eat in a surplus and lift heavy = gain muscle and some fat. Eat at a deficit and lift heavy = lose fat and hopefully minimal muscle.

IF while bulking won't prevent you from putting on fat. How much you gain per week will determine how much fat you put on. If your maintenance is 1500 cals (for example) and you're eating 3000 on your IF days, you're going to gain too fast and put on fat, regardless of when you ate that food. If your maintenance is 1500 cals and you're eating 2000 on your IF days, you'll gain slower and likely less fat.

If you want to gain muscle and minimize fat, it's going to be a slow arduous process.

Cliffs
    -Calorie count/macros per day is what matters.
    -Bulking = some fat gain, depending on your surplus
    -Fasted workouts don't burn fat
    Ok, I see what you're saying but I'm also not on a huge surplus. only 200 calories above my maintenance because I rather build muscle slower than put on lots of fat all of a sudden.
    So, how about being on surplus the whole weak and keep up my heavy lifting and only 1 day per week (on my fasting day) be on a deficit? Wouldn't I get a cleaner bulk and leaner look doing this?

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mahsatrainer1 View Post
    Ok, I see what you're saying but I'm also not on a huge surplus. only 200 calories above my maintenance because I rather build muscle slower than put on lots of fat all of a sudden.
    So, how about being on surplus the whole weak and keep up my heavy lifting and only 1 day per week (on my fasting day) be on a deficit? Wouldn't I get a cleaner bulk and leaner look doing this?
    200 calories above maintenance would be fine. Fat gains will be minimal and muscle gains will be slow.

You women need to calm down at the thought of gaining fat.

This mindset^^is why it takes women forever and most fail when it comes to doing a proper bulk.

Have you seen the first time bulkers thread? This might be very helpful to you. Pop in and say hello!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1200814731
    Last edited by kimm4; 02-02-2014 at 11:01 AM.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Giant_Killer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't think it makes much difference to be honest with you.

The only difference is long-term resistance training will increase your metabolism due to the body increasing muscle mass, and short-term elevations in metabolism from cardio.
    the pump is the cure
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ