LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Possible back injury?

Hey, I couldn't find a section for this so, sorry in advanced if this is the wrong place to post this.

I have been working out on and off for over a year now, fairly consistently. I have started to notice some slight lower back pain while doing certain exercises. Pretty much any bending where I lift weight, more specifically, dead lifts, good mornings, kettle bell swing movements (recently using JUST kettle bells for my workouts).

Anyway I have had this for a few months now and sort of figured it was nothing but now that I think of it I wanted to ask around, maybe someone has experienced this/ knows what is going on? I know I could/should go to a doctor but it isn't terrible pain or anything.

I notice 2 things in my daily life:

1) While sitting for extended periods my lower back feels almost tight/ very close to feeling pain but no pain? Hard to explain but more of a tightness/ I can tell I am hurting my back by sitting that way. Like I am slowly bent at an angle that is over time been detrimental to my lower back and may eventually turn into pain while sitting but isn't painful at all yet?

2) When I do swings with the kettle bell or dead lifts or good mornings I feel the same area that is acting up while I sit for extended periods feels stressed and hurts a little bit. It isn't a tremendous pain, I am talking 1 out of 10 maybe 2, very light/almost tingly but not tingly feeling. I practice proper form and emphasize on form>weight. I don't really go for big gains these days either.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

also my stats are from 2012 lol
    Must.. get... leaner..

Epal23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Epal23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Epal23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Epal23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Epal23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Epal23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Epal23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Epal23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Epal23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Epal23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Epal23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Where in the lower back are you noticing the pain? along the center of the spine or along the sides of it? Does it feel muscular or skeletal? When sitting for long periods of times do you notice yourself hunching over or hyper extending to relieve the pain?

You should try posting a video up of your form for some of those movements
    Last edited by Epal23; 01-29-2014 at 10:02 PM.

LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LifeAsAaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Epal23 View Post
    Where in the lower back are you noticing the pain? along the center of the spine or along the sides of it? Does it feel muscular or skeletal? When sitting for long periods of times do you notice yourself hunching over or hyper extending to relieve the pain?

You should try posting a video up of your form. A very common mistake is that people take the advice that you should arch your back during the lifts to an extreme and actually hyper extend their backs which can be just as detrimental to their back as rounding it.
    The pain is in the center of my spine but it branches out maybe an inch or two off each side, its a general area feeling. I can't tell if it is skeletal or muscular, or even nerves. It feels like a combination of the three sort of.

My form is good, the gym I go to is run by the City of Vancouver (Canada) and has trainers who went to post-secondary school working in the gym who help for free, about 4 or 5 of them regularly work there and I chat them up and have gotten help with my form over the past year and have pretty good form! I keep my back so that If I had a broom handle down my back, my back makes contact at my upper, middle, and butt, so its not hunched, or hyper extended.

Is this a normal thing people get? It's definitely not NOTHING, but not yet painful exactly either, almost like a weird pulling in the lower back feeling, that doesn't feel normal and feels almost tingly.
    Must.. get... leaner..

Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jbaker1121 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sounds like you could have bulged a disc… sounds similar to how mine started hurting before it turned to sciatica. You should get it checked out.
    280lb---->215 ---> Injury + life ---> 225 ---> Goal: Aesthetics

Progress thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157415253&p=1144186993#post1144186993