Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do want to thank you for posting

I know for me, there is some kinda shame in not being a machine 24/7. We're human, and stuff happens to us sometimes.

Get it diagnosed, get it fixed, carry on.

A speedy recovery to you.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

occasional visitor stephanielynn76's Avatar
    stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    I do want to thank you for posting

I know for me, there is some kinda shame in not being a machine 24/7. We're human, and stuff happens to us sometimes.

Get it diagnosed, get it fixed, carry on.

A speedy recovery to you.
    Thanks DD. I struggle with that... a feeling of shame that maybe I am somehow just "too weak" to handle it all. Towards the end I kept pushing through the fatigue trying to prove to myself I could still do it. That was a mistake and it only made my situation worse. I suppose the jig is up. I am decidedly NOT a machine.

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by stephanielynn76 View Post
    Thanks DD. I struggle with that... a feeling of shame that maybe I am somehow just "too weak" to handle it all. Towards the end I kept pushing through the fatigue trying to prove to myself I could still do it. That was a mistake and it only made my situation worse. I suppose the jig is up. I am decidedly NOT a machine.

Weak you are NOT. You have an extremely full plate! The fact you excelled as long as you did with all that you have going on is proof of that.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have nothing else to add except rest up and take good care of yourself. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Good luck to you.

stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    Weak you are NOT. You have an extremely full plate! The fact you excelled as long as you did with all that you have going on is proof of that.
    Thanks for saying that. I needed to hear it.

Originally Posted by lynore View Post
    I have nothing else to add except rest up and take good care of yourself. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Good luck to you.
    Thanks so much!

lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I just saw this post, omg, I went through this crap several years ago - feeling tired constantly, non-stop, 24/7, sleeping long hours only to wake up super tired, can’t fall asleep, feeling crazy anxious, and feeling like I have some type of flu. I was retaining water like crazy – like puffy fingers and legs (like I am preggo or something). It was so bad for me that I would come from work, have a glass of wine and lay on the floor crying All of this was constantly accompanied by varies infections – sinus, UTI’s, etc.

I was under a lot of stress then – going through divorce, finishing grad school, working full time and taking care of 3 kids and I was running 5 miles every day and not eating enough carbs. It was crazy. I started feeling like I was literally breaking down – I started having weird symptoms, and going from doctor to doctor to doctor, test after test after test (endoscopy, colonoscopy, endo testing, they thought maybe cancer). I even went through experimental testing (back then only done in Georgetown school of medicine). Anyway, I ended up finding a natural medicine doc who diagnosed me with adrenal fatigue and IBS. Honestly, IMXO both of these mean – I don’t know what’s wrong with you, but your are crazy and we can’t help you ☺ He told me that it was all due to stress, that our bodies are just not made for doing so much and after a while we are literally going to break down. He also said that stress can make your body break down in a ways you can’t even imagine. It took a long time to sync in – STRESS can for real kill us. Before my divorce I have never had any health problems, never had any anxiety and had no idea what a panic attack was. I did have to take meds briefly just to get through this crap.

It took probably 4-6 months to fully recover. Conventional medicine btw had no answers for me. According to my GP and all the tests they did there was absolutely nothing wrong with me! Natural doc told me to cut down my running, don’t drink coffee, I went gluten-free, I started taking adrenal support supps and I really had to cut down on my worrying and trying to get it all done. I had to force myself to meditate (and I hate meditating ☺). Anyway, it was crazy. Sometimes still I have these periods when I feel like I will start feeling like that again – and I stop right there. I take a week off, 2 weeks off, whatever, I cut down on coffee, add more carbs (i am no longer gluten-free, btw), but somehow during these episodes not eating gluten helps. Call me crazy By the way I cannot tolerate any pre-workouts after what happened to me. If I have a red bull or NO Explode, I will start feeling this crazy chit again.

I have learned from this experience and well, still learning that mental health and nervous system is very very fragile. We might be able to get away with not sleeping, not eating right, etc in our 20’s, in our 30’s that’s when it starts getting back to us. Esp we, women – all our hormones and all these crazy responsibilities of being a mother, a wife, a co-worker, etc, it all adds up in the end.

I am still learning. Example – I am cutting now and was basically doing 3 days of full body and 2 days of 15-20 min HITT, that’s it. It was fine, I felt good, didn’t drop my calories low. I then had this stupid idea to make my HITT more difficult and added circuit deadlifts there and extended 3 full body to 4 full body. I was ok for the first week and then boom, my stomach hurts, I feel TIRED like crazy, anxious, can’t sleep, wake up tired, all same symptoms. I took 2 weeks off right there, back to maint, stop the crazy chit.

Sorry for this long post – I wish I can tell myself in my 20’s to slow down!! You will 100% get back to normal. I know it feels like – wow, why can’t I do what I did just a month ago? It’s just your body saying – I can’t take this anymore, please slow down, calm down, take something off your plate, relax, take a break. And it’s ok. I think you have been such an inspiration to so many women on this forum, I saw links to your blog in fitness FB groups too ☺ Talking about THAT IS how you build muscle! Don’t worry for one second – take time off, your body will thank you for it.

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey, Steph! I haven't been around much but popped on here just now and saw your update.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. You are a smart, strong and determined woman. You'll come back from this even better because you'll be smarter.

I also will say I appreciate your posting about stress. I need to keep all of this in mind for myself.

Take all the time you need to recover and get yourself well. Hang in there. Sending you strength and peace.
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

Originally Posted by lotusdeva View Post
    I just saw this post, omg, I went through this crap several years ago - feeling tired constantly, non-stop, 24/7, sleeping long hours only to wake up super tired, can’t fall asleep, feeling crazy anxious, and feeling like I have some type of flu. I was retaining water like crazy – like puffy fingers and legs (like I am preggo or something). It was so bad for me that I would come from work, have a glass of wine and lay on the floor crying All of this was constantly accompanied by varies infections – sinus, UTI’s, etc.

I was under a lot of stress then – going through divorce, finishing grad school, working full time and taking care of 3 kids and I was running 5 miles every day and not eating enough carbs. It was crazy. I started feeling like I was literally breaking down – I started having weird symptoms, and going from doctor to doctor to doctor, test after test after test (endoscopy, colonoscopy, endo testing, they thought maybe cancer). I even went through experimental testing (back then only done in Georgetown school of medicine). Anyway, I ended up finding a natural medicine doc who diagnosed me with adrenal fatigue and IBS. Honestly, IMXO both of these mean – I don’t know what’s wrong with you, but your are crazy and we can’t help you ☺ He told me that it was all due to stress, that our bodies are just not made for doing so much and after a while we are literally going to break down. He also said that stress can make your body break down in a ways you can’t even imagine. It took a long time to sync in – STRESS can for real kill us. Before my divorce I have never had any health problems, never had any anxiety and had no idea what a panic attack was. I did have to take meds briefly just to get through this crap.

It took probably 4-6 months to fully recover. Conventional medicine btw had no answers for me. According to my GP and all the tests they did there was absolutely nothing wrong with me! Natural doc told me to cut down my running, don’t drink coffee, I went gluten-free, I started taking adrenal support supps and I really had to cut down on my worrying and trying to get it all done. I had to force myself to meditate (and I hate meditating ☺). Anyway, it was crazy. Sometimes still I have these periods when I feel like I will start feeling like that again – and I stop right there. I take a week off, 2 weeks off, whatever, I cut down on coffee, add more carbs (i am no longer gluten-free, btw), but somehow during these episodes not eating gluten helps. Call me crazy By the way I cannot tolerate any pre-workouts after what happened to me. If I have a red bull or NO Explode, I will start feeling this crazy chit again.

I have learned from this experience and well, still learning that mental health and nervous system is very very fragile. We might be able to get away with not sleeping, not eating right, etc in our 20’s, in our 30’s that’s when it starts getting back to us. Esp we, women – all our hormones and all these crazy responsibilities of being a mother, a wife, a co-worker, etc, it all adds up in the end.

I am still learning. Example – I am cutting now and was basically doing 3 days of full body and 2 days of 15-20 min HITT, that’s it. It was fine, I felt good, didn’t drop my calories low. I then had this stupid idea to make my HITT more difficult and added circuit deadlifts there and extended 3 full body to 4 full body. I was ok for the first week and then boom, my stomach hurts, I feel TIRED like crazy, anxious, can’t sleep, wake up tired, all same symptoms. I took 2 weeks off right there, back to maint, stop the crazy chit.

Sorry for this long post – I wish I can tell myself in my 20’s to slow down!! You will 100% get back to normal. I know it feels like – wow, why can’t I do what I did just a month ago? It’s just your body saying – I can’t take this anymore, please slow down, calm down, take something off your plate, relax, take a break. And it’s ok. I think you have been such an inspiration to so many women on this forum, I saw links to your blog in fitness FB groups too ☺ Talking about THAT IS how you build muscle! Don’t worry for one second – take time off, your body will thank you for it.
    Wow!!! So good to hear from someone who's actually been diagnosed with this. I cannot imagine having gone through all you did to finally get a diagnosis. Perhaps modern medicine is coming around a bit. Not only did my MD (actually it was his nurse practitioner who interviewed me) diagnose me with "adrenal fatigue," the new pharmacy in town she sent me to had an entire shelf dedicated to this condition that included various supplements and literature about it. It sounds like your condition was even worse off than mine... so I'm quite glad you were able to fully recover in 4-6 months. I was really hoping it wouldn't be even longer than that. I have read that people who have had adrenal fatigue are at high risk for getting it again. How'd you know when you were recovered enough to resume training? I know when I do finally get back into the gym... my training will forever HAVE to be low volume.

... oh... and while I'm glad people have been inspired by my journey... part of me feels like a fraud... like I've let everyone down by not encouraging more balance. I struggle with that. I've debated if I want to share what has happened to me and where I am now... maybe I should. Perhaps my cautionary tale may remind others to listen to their bodies.

Originally Posted by DaniGrrl View Post
    Hey, Steph! I haven't been around much but popped on here just now and saw your update.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. You are a smart, strong and determined woman. You'll come back from this even better because you'll be smarter.

I also will say I appreciate your posting about stress. I need to keep all of this in mind for myself.

Take all the time you need to recover and get yourself well. Hang in there. Sending you strength and peace.
    Thanks Dani. I know you've dealt with some personal-life issues here recently... most definitely be proactive about managing your stress. Like lotusdeva said... (and I've learned) it can really do a number on our physical bodies. Hope you are doing well...

EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Just wanted to pop in and wish you well. I have seen this in many, many, many competitors. Although adrenal fatigue isn't a "real" medical term, it's better known in this industry as "metabolic damage" or "adrenal insuffiency," or something along those lines. It is extremely difficult to diagnose, as hormonal levels often come back normal. It does exist though, it's more common than most think, and it is caused by too much cardio and not enough food, and potentially some other things.

In the cases I've seen, the road to recovery differs with the individual. Some it's months, some it's years. It depends on how quickly it was caught and how bad the damage is. The take home, though, is that recovery IS possible and you will come out of this on the other end. My heart truly goes out to you, because I know how some of my best friends have felt during their recovery.

I applaud you for writing about this, as well, because it's often swept under the rug and dismissed as just someone overeating or not having self control over what they eat. Totally not the case, and totally an unfair assumption. I hope you continue to document your journey. I'll be thinking about you and will be following along.

Originally Posted by EPolis13 View Post
    Just wanted to pop in and wish you well. I have seen this in many, many, many competitors. Although adrenal fatigue isn't a "real" medical term, it's better known in this industry as "metabolic damage" or "adrenal insuffiency," or something along those lines. It is extremely difficult to diagnose, as hormonal levels often come back normal. It does exist though, it's more common than most think, and it is caused by too much cardio and not enough food, and potentially some other things.

In the cases I've seen, the road to recovery differs with the individual. Some it's months, some it's years. It depends on how quickly it was caught and how bad the damage is. The take home, though, is that recovery IS possible and you will come out of this on the other end. My heart truly goes out to you, because I know how some of my best friends have felt during their recovery.

I applaud you for writing about this, as well, because it's often swept under the rug and dismissed as just someone overeating or not having self control over what they eat. Totally not the case, and totally an unfair assumption. I hope you continue to document your journey. I'll be thinking about you and will be following along.
    First of all, thanks for the kind words

So actually, metabolic damage is not what I have... that is different from adrenal fatigue. I've been bulking and doing no cardio for many months. What I have is unrelated to cutting, too much cardio, or insufficient carbs. Yes, those things can and have caused "metabolic damage" in some competitors. What I have... "adrenal fatigue"... was caused by overtraining (not enough recovery time) in addition to having anxiety issues and working a night shift job for 14 years. Many people who have adrenal fatigue don't train at all... they are simply victims of stressful life circumstances. It just so happens my intense training contributed to mine because, just like emtional stress, physical stress stimulates the production of cortisol. Oddly enough, the last time I truly felt good and full of energy was during my contest prep last summer. It was about 3 months after that things went downhill. Basically, adrenal fatigue is what happens when you try to train like a beast 6 days/wk (always to failure, of course) and you blow off deloads or time off. I've trained 4-6 days/wk for 5 years straight without more than 12 consecutive days off at a time... and I only took those b/c I was riddled with fatigue. Even when I felt like crap and my body begged me to stop... I kept training. It was just... stupid.

EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) EPolis13 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I don't think I explained it well, lol. It can basically be caused by any 1 of those things - not necessarily all of them combined together. So doing too much and over training is definitely a part of that. And the symptoms/results are the same, as is typically the method of recovery.

At any rate, I am most definitely glad you're getting some help. If you ever need any resources, just send me a pm. There are ppl who specialize in helping ppl recover from this. I know you have a doc, but just in case you do ever want to speak to anyone else, just know that option is always available to you. You deserve the best and we'll be here for support along the way!

And also, don't beat yourself up. There's no way you would have or could have known this would happen.

NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No advice here, but I wish you a rapid and uncomplicated recovery! Sounds like you're doing everything you can to make that happen, but its always weird when "doing your best" means not running yourself into the ground isn't it? When did we all decide that unless one is flat out exhausted all the time one is not trying hard enough? I should probably take a good hard look at what I'm doing myself after reading your thread here :/

Be well, even if that means sitting and drinking tea for a year. You've already done all those workouts.

ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have been following this thread and really don't have much to add to what the others have said. Thank you for posting though and sharing all of this. Take all the time you need to recover so when the time comes, you will be ready both mentally and physically to get back to the gym.

Just thinking of you, girl and wishing you well.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks BW I miss ya btw...
    Alway think about you even when I don't hang in the forums
    please get better
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That is great that you have a doc that understands. It was soooo frustrating to be going through this for a year only to be told that I am totally fine and its all in my head My thing happened back in 2006-2007 I think, so my GP just looked at me like I am nuts You might not necessary have to take so much off time, it just depends. You will def know when you are ready. There is a lady in my gym (she has an amazing physique and used to work out as a beast too), well, she ended up in a hospital with this thing. We used to see each other at 4:30 am every morning in the gym, then she worked all day, then kids, you know life. Her body couldn't do it. I haven't seen her after her episode and recently saw her again. She said that her experience changed the way she trains and eats, as well as her general outlook on life. I remember she used to train for at least 2 hours. She now switched to Olympic training - compounds, no cardio, less then 45 min 3 times a week. She said that no way she will ever get up so early I also had to adjust my training and, honestly, I am seeing more results this way.

Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You are certainly not "too weak".

If anything it comes from a determination to work hard, get through the stress, and push through the fatigue much longer than most. The end result is a cascade of hormones that ultimately forces us to stop.

You can read about it in the turn-of-the-century homesteading. Extremely harsh working conditions and an overabundance of stress trying to keep their family alive. The conditions broke a lot of people. Going from Superman / Wonder Woman to felling "less than adequate" in a few months is tough on a person.

My wife gets busier when life gets stressful. Not always the best combination to reduce stress We talk fairly regularly about it and how to make our schedules work. I tell her she should get busy in bed! LOL

Rest up! Max reps on enjoying the good things in life.
    Journal- One of the Ogres
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139651333

I don't think I explained it well, lol. It can basically be caused by any 1 of those things - not necessarily all of them combined together. So doing too much and over training is definitely a part of that. And the symptoms/results are the same, as is typically the method of recovery.

At any rate, I am most definitely glad you're getting some help. If you ever need any resources, just send me a pm. There are ppl who specialize in helping ppl recover from this. I know you have a doc, but just in case you do ever want to speak to anyone else, just know that option is always available to you. You deserve the best and we'll be here for support along the way!
    And also, don't beat yourself up. There's no way you would have or could have known this would happen.
    Thanks. I appreciate that. I could use all the advice/support I can get. I've actually started to meet more and more people that have experienced this. It gives me hope for recovery.

Originally Posted by NutMeigh View Post
    No advice here, but I wish you a rapid and uncomplicated recovery! Sounds like you're doing everything you can to make that happen, but its always weird when "doing your best" means not running yourself into the ground isn't it? When did we all decide that unless one is flat out exhausted all the time one is not trying hard enough? I should probably take a good hard look at what I'm doing myself after reading your thread here :/

Be well, even if that means sitting and drinking tea for a year. You've already done all those workouts.
    Thanks... and you are so right. I was once of the mindset that unless I felt like a mac truck hit me... I must not have trained hard enough. Live and learn...

Originally Posted by ms_mac View Post
    I have been following this thread and really don't have much to add to what the others have said. Thank you for posting though and sharing all of this. Take all the time you need to recover so when the time comes, you will be ready both mentally and physically to get back to the gym.

Just thinking of you, girl and wishing you well.
    thanks ms-mac xoxo

Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    Alway think about you even when I don't hang in the forums
    please get better
    I'm trying!

Originally Posted by lotusdeva View Post
    That is great that you have a doc that understands. It was soooo frustrating to be going through this for a year only to be told that I am totally fine and its all in my head My thing happened back in 2006-2007 I think, so my GP just looked at me like I am nuts You might not necessary have to take so much off time, it just depends. You will def know when you are ready. There is a lady in my gym (she has an amazing physique and used to work out as a beast too), well, she ended up in a hospital with this thing. We used to see each other at 4:30 am every morning in the gym, then she worked all day, then kids, you know life. Her body couldn't do it. I haven't seen her after her episode and recently saw her again. She said that her experience changed the way she trains and eats, as well as her general outlook on life. I remember she used to train for at least 2 hours. She now switched to Olympic training - compounds, no cardio, less then 45 min 3 times a week. She said that no way she will ever get up so early I also had to adjust my training and, honestly, I am seeing more results this way.
    "More results???" Really?!? Please do tell. What have you found to work best for you? I might not be ready to train again for a long time but I'm afraid when I do go back I won't know where to start. I don't want to fall back into old patterns.

Originally Posted by Big_Sky_Guy View Post
    You are certainly not "too weak".

If anything it comes from a determination to work hard, get through the stress, and push through the fatigue much longer than most. The end result is a cascade of hormones that ultimately forces us to stop.

You can read about it in the turn-of-the-century homesteading. Extremely harsh working conditions and an overabundance of stress trying to keep their family alive. The conditions broke a lot of people. Going from Superman / Wonder Woman to felling "less than adequate" in a few months is tough on a person.

My wife gets busier when life gets stressful. Not always the best combination to reduce stress We talk fairly regularly about it and how to make our schedules work. I tell her she should get busy in bed! LOL

Rest up! Max reps on enjoying the good things in life.
    Thanks Big_Sky_Guy You have always been such an encouragement to me on here...

To continue to report how things are going...

Well, I'm taking all of my vitamins, minerals, herbs, supplements, and antioxidants regularly. I feel like I'm swallowing handfuls of pills all day every day. Even once I recover from this... I'm going to continue to keep most of these as part of my lifestyle.

I finally started hormone creams... DHEA and testosterone in the morning and progesterone in the evenings. I've started with half the prescribed dose. I was warned by my doctor (and I've read) that taking these hormones as supplements while in this "adrenal fatigue" state can actually make things worse. I'm not sure, but I think they have. You see... when your adrenals are sick/malfunctioned this way... you're system will often convert the aforementioned hormones right back into cortisol... which is the one thing I don't want or need right now (more cortisol). After all... the overproduction of cortisol is why these hormones are depleted in the first place. Anyhoo... I suspect this is what is happening to me based on my disturbed sleep since I started them. I've been waking up with a cortisol "rush" in the middle of the night. While my body is exhausted and longing for sleep... my mind is suddenly awakened.... I'm fully alert, my heart rate is elevated, and my system feels "on edge." This phenomenon makes getting quality sleep extremely hard... if not impossible. However despite these episodes, I've still been able to resume sleep within an hour.

Yesterday I had a very busy day. I went to party (daughter's classmate) in the morning, did some stuff in the yard, shot a 3-hour photo session, then went to another party last night. Well, I paid for all that activity because my "cortisol rush" started about 1:30 and went on till sometime after 4:30. It was a long one. I could NOT get myself to relax or rest. I have been exhausted and super emotional/agitated all day. I wanted a nap but I had too much to do and I feared it might keep me from resting as well tonight.

So one of the symptoms of adrenal fatigue is frequent lingering infections. I've had 3 sinus infections already and have finally managed to get some relief from those. While in Disney World a few weeks ago I started with a bladder infection. I was treated with antibiotics. It didn't go away. It has now become a kidney infection complete with throbbing constant bilateral flank pain. I went back to the doctor.... again... (I should pitch a tent there) and had to get a shot of Rocephin and script for Levaquin. I'm praying it will be resolved after this. All these antibiotics can't be good.

Well that's about it. I just might cry myself to sleep tonight... I should re-name this thread "Stephanie's sob-fest." Damn estrogen dominance is making me into a downright nutjob. Nevertheless... I'm convinced that someone else on this site is going to find themselves in this most unfortunate situation one day and perhaps this thread will be informative for them. If you even *think* you're having recovery problems... get on adrenal supplements ASAP.

schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Wow Steph....thanks so much for sharing is.

I wish you a speedy recovery both physically and mentally. I haven't been around much but popped in and saw this update and I'm nodding along because I went through something so similar recently as you may remember from my other posts/PMs. Seeing you and lotusdeva and other write about this sort of thing makes me realize I wasn't nuts when I was going through it. I started suffering from major fatigue last summer. It only got worse when I developed anxiety about two physical issues I had (knee pain...which turns out is related to thoracic ring disorder and I also was diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction--but until then I went through some hellish symptoms, antibiotics, ER visits ugh). Until I finally figured out what was wrong with me (one issue in December and one issue in January) I worried so much about the physical conditions that it wore me down. And then on top of that I developed a lot of anxiety and anger about not being able to work out like I used to and wanted to at the gym.

Something had to give....my gym membership got put on hold the first week of January and I had to stop visiting this forum because it was just too frustrating to see everyone else succeed while I was going in reverse. It was very upsetting to WANT to workout but not be able to.

In all that, the naturopath suspected that I had either a thyroid issue or an adrenal issue. My blood testing didn't show any issues with my thyroid and I never went through with the adrenal testing though I did try various supplements ....and nothing really worked. And I felt like no one understood and I was coming across as crazy.

The only reason (I think) that things started getting better in the last 4-6 weeks is that my health issues got diagnosed and I started getting some treatments that helped. As a result, my anxiety went down, I stopped having episodes of quasi anxiety attacks, I started sleeping through the night, and I didn't feel so worn out all the time.

I actually didn't know that the medical world acknowledged adrenal fatigue so I never went to my dr about it in all that. Though I saw her this week for my physical and she didn't poo poo my naturopath for suggesting adrenal fatigue and even mentioned that my cortisol levels were likely high as a result of anxiety (she didn't go into detail). I really learned about the different manifestations of stress through all this and it really sucked. I feel like the entire last year of bulking was all for naught since I pretty much hit a wall late last year and it feels like that really compromised all my gains. The most important thing I leaned was that I need better strategies to cope with stress so that it doesn't turn into a huge downward spiral again and suck the energy out of me.

Okay now I'm rambling.....anyway, I'm sorry this is happening to you but I feel like I know what it feels like. I truly hope you have a speedy recovery and I thank you for speaking out so candidly about this.

Eta: just read what you wrote about the sleep issues and wow....it sounds so familiar. I had such trouble sleeping last year and went to a sleep study. But looking back now, I can see how the months of sleep issues related to my anxiety about other things.
    Last edited by schnauzers; 03-30-2014 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Typo!

Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    Wow Steph....thanks so much for sharing is.

I wish you a speedy recovery both physically and mentally. I haven't been around much but popped in and saw this update and I'm nodding along because I went through something so similar recently as you may remember from my other posts/PMs. Seeing you and lotusdeva and other write about this sort of thing makes me realize I wasn't nuts when I was going through it. I started suffering from major fatigue last summer. It only got worse when I developed anxiety about two physical issues I had (knee pain...which turns out is related to thoracic ring disorder and I also was diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction--but until then I went through some hellish symptoms, antibiotics, ER visits ugh). Until I finally figured out what was wrong with me (one issue in December and one issue in January) I worried so much about the physical conditions that it wore me down. And then on top of that I developed a lot of anxiety and anger about not being able to work out like I used to and wanted to at the gym.

Something had to give....Lao my gym membership got put on hold the first week of January and I had to stop visiting this forum because it was just too frustrating to see everyone else succeed while I was going in reverse. It was very upsetting to WANT to workout nut not be able to.

In all that, the naturopath suspected that I had either a thyroid issue or an adrenal issue. My blood testing didn't show any issues with my thyroid and I never went through with the adrenal testing though I did try various supplements ....and nothing really worked. And I felt like no one understood and I was coming across as crazy.

The only reason (I think) that things started getting better in the last 4-6 weeks is that my health issues got diagnosed and I started getting some treatments that helped. As a result, my anxiety went down, I stopped having episodes of quasi anxiety attacks, I started sleeping through the night, and I didn't feel so worn out all the time.

I actually didn't know that the medical world acknowledged adrenal fatigue so I never went to my dr about it in all that. Though I saw her this week for my physical and she didn't poo poo my naturopath for suggesting adrenal fatigue and even mentioned that my cortisol levels were likely high as a result of anxiety (she didn't go into detail). I really learned about the different manifestations of stress through all this and it really sucked. I feel like the entire last year of bulking was all for naught since I pretty much hit a wall late last year and it feels like that really compromised all my gains. The most important thing I leaned was that I need better strategies to cope with stress so that it doesn't turn into a huge downward spiral again and suck the energy out of me.

Okay now I'm rambling.....anyway, I'm sorry this is happening to you but I feel like I know what it feels like. I truly hope you have a speedy recovery and I thank you for speaking out so candidly about this.

Eta: just read what you wrote about the sleep issues and wow....it sounds so familiar. I had such trouble sleeping last year and went to a sleep study. But looking back now, I can see how the months of sleep issues related to my anxiety about other things.
    Schnauzers!!! Oh I've missed you! I've been thinking about you through all of this and wondering if you could also have been having issues with your adrenals. I can so relate to how you felt ^^... I'm feeling that too. I'm struggling not to let it consume me. I cringe when I pass a mirror. I feel like I'm watching all of my hard work waste away. I can't even look at FB sometimes because so many of my contacts are gym friends talking about their progress and posting pictures. I just want to sob. Everyone is training. Everyone is making progress. Everyone but me. My mind so wants to do what my body is currently unable to do. It is the most awful struggle.

Having said all that... I'm so glad you've found your way through it and are now feeling better. I WISH there were some way to "fix" my anxiety. I think once I start to feel better I'm going to consider an antidepressant to stabilize my moods. From what I've read, it isn't good to start one while in this state. I have always been anxious by nature but in the last few years I've often found myself literally creating issues to worry about. I don't know why. I care too much about everything and everyone all the time. Sometimes I wish I could just be one of those people who don't give a crap.

Anyhoo... thanks for stopping by and sharing your experience... and for the well wishes.

NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50) NutMeigh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    been missing seeing you around here, too, Schnauzers! Glad to see you have a few answers, even though you are still not back to 100%. Best wishes to both of you ladies for good health and recovery.

schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Schnauzers!!! Oh I've missed you! I've been thinking about you through all of this and wondering if you could also have been having issues with your adrenals. I can so relate to how you felt ^^... I'm feeling that too. I'm struggling not to let it consume me. I cringe when I pass a mirror. I feel like I'm watching all of my hard work waste away. I can't even look at FB sometimes because so many of my contacts are gym friends talking about their progress and posting pictures. I just want to sob. Everyone is training. Everyone is making progress. Everyone but me. My mind so wants to do what my body is currently unable to do. It is the most awful struggle.

Having said all that... I'm so glad you've found your way through it and are now feeling better. I WISH there were some way to "fix" my anxiety. I think once I start to feel better I'm going to consider an antidepressant to stabilize my moods. From what I've read, it isn't good to start one while in this state. I have always been anxious by nature but in the last few years I've often found myself literally creating issues to worry about. I don't know why. I care too much about everything and everyone all the time. Sometimes I wish I could just be one of those people who don't give a crap.

Anyhoo... thanks for stopping by and sharing your experience... and for the well wishes.
    I haven't been around much on the forum but I think about you ladies all the time, srs.

I read what you wrote about the supplements for adrenal fatigue and I find it interesting. I tried three different formulations and nothing really seemed to help. I never tried hormonal stuff/creams though...this all makes me wonder what my levels would have shown had I actually gone through some testing. I guess I kinda played along with the adrenal fatigue suspicion because it was SOMETHING to believe and SOMETHING to try....but then I kept reading on here that people say 'adrenal fatigue is not real' so I didn't pursue it much in terms of going to an MD or getting more tests done. If it ever happens again (gosh, I really hope it doesn't) I will consider more testing so that it doesn't last so long. Being tired and not being able to sleep is one thing, but having severe fatigue affect EVERYTHING else you do is crushing. It affected the gym, hanging out with friends, running errands...I had to plan everything tentatively or only if I knew I could rest and have a nap before hand. I didn't really want to go out anywhere where I'd have to stand up all night, I couldn't read any more than a few sentences without losing focus or feeling confused and anxious, I tossed and turned all night and woke up exhausted and dragged myself along all day....that sorta thing, but you know what I mean, unfortunately Anyway, I seem to be in a better place for now but I'm not going to go back to the gym for a couple of months still. I don't want to push it. And it KILLS me to not go to the gym. I just had to put the focus on something else so we developed our home gym a bit, I'm going to physio more often to help with the physical issues I'm having, and I worked with a coach a bit through video assessments of form. It gave me something to focus on because doing absolutely nothing would have made my anxiety worse and in turn my fatigue worse.

Please keep us updated

Originally Posted by NutMeigh View Post
    been missing seeing you around here, too, Schnauzers! Glad to see you have a few answers, even though you are still not back to 100%. Best wishes to both of you ladies for good health and recovery.
    Awe shucks I truly miss all you ladies too. I've been keeping in touch with a few ladies outside the forum and it's wonderful But I hope to be back more regularly some time in June. For now, it's too frustrating for me to read about all this weight lifting stuff and people training hard when I can't (I know that sounds selfish and I should be cheering ya'll on from the side lines).

By the way, awesome avi! Reminds me of a photo I took of myself last year while bulking. Ah those were the days

I haven't been around much on the forum but I think about you ladies all the time, srs.

I read what you wrote about the supplements for adrenal fatigue and I find it interesting. I tried three different formulations and nothing really seemed to help. I never tried hormonal stuff/creams though...this all makes me wonder what my levels would have shown had I actually gone through some testing. I guess I kinda played along with the adrenal fatigue suspicion because it was SOMETHING to believe and SOMETHING to try....but then I kept reading on here that people say 'adrenal fatigue is not real' so I didn't pursue it much in terms of going to an MD or getting more tests done. If it ever happens again (gosh, I really hope it doesn't) I will consider more testing so that it doesn't last so long. Being tired and not being able to sleep is one thing, but having severe fatigue affect EVERYTHING else you do is crushing. It affected the gym, hanging out with friends, running errands...I had to plan everything tentatively or only if I knew I could rest and have a nap before hand. I didn't really want to go out anywhere where I'd have to stand up all night, I couldn't read any more than a few sentences without losing focus or feeling confused and anxious, I tossed and turned all night and woke up exhausted and dragged myself along all day....that sorta thing, but you know what I mean, unfortunately Anyway, I seem to be in a better place for now but I'm not going to go back to the gym for a couple of months still. I don't want to push it. And it KILLS me to not go to the gym. I just had to put the focus on something else so we developed our home gym a bit, I'm going to physio more often to help with the physical issues I'm having, and I worked with a coach a bit through video assessments of form. It gave me something to focus on because doing absolutely nothing would have made my anxiety worse and in turn my fatigue worse.

Please keep us updated
    Would you mind sharing what you've tried? Did you try Dr. Wilson's stuff? The hormonal creams were just my doctor's attempt to get me through the next few months while my adrenals recover... unfortunately... they don't actually contribute to fixing the problem. They are basically like a bandaid to treat the symptoms. Getting all my hormones tested was quite eye opening. Her comment during our appointment to discuss the results... "I've never seen a 'bodybuilder' with testosterone this low." Also, having my female hormones go all out of whack has lead to a myriad of other weird symptoms in addition to the fatigue, anxiety, cloudy brain, sleeplessness, etc. My boobs are super swollen (huge) and tender and I've had cramping and fainting spells... just like when I first got pregnant with my kids. It's wigging me out! There is NO WAY I could be pregnant (I got no hormones ) but I've tested myself anyways because I'm having anxiety about these symptoms. My body doesn't know if it's coming or going.

Well, like you, I'm finding other things to occupy my time/focus... because I have to. I'm going to be making some changes in my photography business and hopefully shooting more. I need the money. I've also been investing more time in friendships with non-gym people. So much of my life has been tied up into the training/fitness lifestyle that it has pretty much become my social circle. Right now it's just so hard to spend time with a lot of those friends. They are all training like beasts or cutting for competitions right now. Like you, I feel guilty. I should be there cheering them on but it's so hard to do that. It may be "selfish" but I totally feel the same way. I can't help it.

So... in case anyone is interested... here is what I am taking...

Multivitamin - 2 pills/day (morning/night)
    Vitamin D3 - 5000u/day (morning)
    Hair/nail formula - 1 pill/day (morning)
    Fish oil - 2 pills/day (morning/night)
    Mineral-Chi Tonic (essential minerals and adrenal herbal support) - 2 tablespoons/day (morning/afternoon)
    Dr. Wilson's adrenal rebuilder - 4 pills/day (morning (2) /afternoon/night)
    Glutathione (antioxidant)- 6 pills/day (3 morning/3 midday)
    Magnesium glycinate - 2 pills (night)
    Melatonin - 1 pill (night)
    5- HTP - 1 pill (night)
    Progesterone cream - (night)
    DHEA/testosterone cream - (morning)

LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Steph,

Everyone has said everything that I'd have said. It was like reading schnauzers story. Srs.

Hang in there.

Missed ya!

Originally Posted by LHarwood View Post
    Steph,

Everyone has said everything that I'd have said. It was like reading schnauzers story. Srs.

Hang in there.

Missed ya!
    Miss you too!! xoxox

Hey Steph....

I think I tried Stress Calm, Thyro Care and Adaptogen. They were by Restorative Formulations. Then there was NFH Adrenal SAP. Either I didn't have adrenal fatigue or those weren't the right formulas for me because I never found that they helped unfortunately.

malamujer will become famous soon enough. (+50) malamujer will become famous soon enough. (+50) malamujer will become famous soon enough. (+50) malamujer will become famous soon enough. (+50) malamujer will become famous soon enough. (+50) malamujer will become famous soon enough. (+50) malamujer will become famous soon enough. (+50) malamujer will become famous soon enough. (+50) malamujer will become famous soon enough. (+50) malamujer will become famous soon enough. (+50) malamujer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No advice because this is the first time I hear anything about adrenal fatigue. I'm usually just a lurker, but I wanted to wish Schnauzer and Steph a speedy recovery.

Hey Steph....

I think I tried Stress Calm, Thyro Care and Adaptogen. They were by Restorative Formulations. Then there was NFH Adrenal SAP. Either I didn't have adrenal fatigue or those weren't the right formulas for me because I never found that they helped unfortunately.
    Hmmmm.... I've never heard of any of those. I'm so sorry they didn't help. I'm not sure if what I'm taking is helping me yet or not. I guess time will tell...