soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50)

If you're going to work at a chain gym, which should it be?

I know that chain gyms are widely regarded as the cesspools of the PT industry, but it does seem to be the best way for a newly certified trainer to get some experience under his or her belt.

So here's the question: If you ARE going to take a job at a chain gym, which ones are at the top of the list? For instance, I have heard terrible things about working for LA Fitness, but comparatively fewer bad reports about working for Anytime Fitness.

Here in Salt Lake, at least in my area, the options are mostly 24 Hour, Gold's or Planet Fitness (though it's my understanding that Planet Fitness does not hire trainers), with one Anytime Fitness a little ways across the valley.

So is there any particular chain that you prefer over others when it comes to the working experience, whether that has to do with the pay structure, possibilities for advancement, management, etc?

And to break it down even further, if your choice was Gold's or 24 Hour, which would you choose and why?
    "I must find the truth which is true for me; the truth for which I can live and die." -- Soren Kierkegaard

BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I happened to luck out and get a position at anytime fitness in west Lebanon nh where we paid 100 a month rent and kept all of our earnings. Unheard of I think. Not sure if this is more typical of anytimes though or just this particular management but man if you can find that grab it. So maybe the take home is more to roll with finding the right franchisee as opposed to the actual franchise if that's makes sense. If here independently owned and operated gyms I'd think that would be a more important factor. Or just move to New Hampshire! Also I had good luck with local advertising and in home personal training with some fairly rich clientele too so you. At give that a whirl
    barbell1.com - home of The Barbell1 Show - the only 5 day/wk Online Radio on building muscle
    Listened to in 171 Countries, Downloaded 1.3 million X in 2014-15
    Get it free on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for your mobile device!

About me:
    MS in Sports Dietetics
    Registered Dietitian
    BS in ESS
    NSCA Certified Personal Trainer

soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50) soren_xavier will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the input. That does sound like an insanely good deal. Did they refer clients to you at all or was that totally up to you?

BTW, I noticed that you're NSCA-CPT certified. How difficult did you find the test to be?
    "I must find the truth which is true for me; the truth for which I can live and die." -- Soren Kierkegaard

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You'd be surprised how many local business have gyms and how many of their employees have trainers but would prefer to work out at the office for convenience. They don't advertise this stuff so you'd have to hit the pavement but there are some great opportunities in corporate America.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Hmm, that's a very interesting idea. I'll definitely have to keep that one in mind. Thanks for the suggestion.

Registered User Briiiiliantmate's Avatar
    Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ronin4help View Post
    You'd be surprised how many local business have gyms and how many of their employees have trainers but would prefer to work out at the office for convenience. They don't advertise this stuff so you'd have to hit the pavement but there are some great opportunities in corporate America.
    Very true and once you're locked in, you can draw up a contract to be the sole trainer for that organization. People are pretty cool that way and if you're good they will agree.
    'Real beauty is what's inside.' You know you are ugly if someone tells you this.

fittrainermama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are there any Snap Fitness gyms in your area? I work at a franchised one (not corporate). I love it here. I worked at Anytime Fitness also and found them to be very hard to deal with. They would call me in for a client meeting, and then even if the client was late, I wouldn't get paid for waiting around. Then when it was time to get paid, I had to wait DAYS AND DAYS for them to cut the check. I wouldn't count on them. Maybe it was just the one I worked at in CT that did this (I hope so). Also their turnover rate is incredible. People leave after only a few weeks there and the managers know nothing about fitness. They're just like robots and...they didn't even require me to fill out tax information when I got hired, which meant I was going to get screwed come tax season.
    Snap Fitness has been very good to me. PT is awesome here. Our clients are fantastic and very willing to learn stuff.

I Do It On My Own xxsupergman25xx's Avatar
    xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by fittrainermama View Post
    Are there any Snap Fitness gyms in your area? I work at a franchised one (not corporate). I love it here. I worked at Anytime Fitness also and found them to be very hard to deal with. They would call me in for a client meeting, and then even if the client was late, I wouldn't get paid for waiting around. Then when it was time to get paid, I had to wait DAYS AND DAYS for them to cut the check. I wouldn't count on them. Maybe it was just the one I worked at in CT that did this (I hope so). Also their turnover rate is incredible. People leave after only a few weeks there and the managers know nothing about fitness. They're just like robots and...they didn't even require me to fill out tax information when I got hired, which meant I was going to get screwed come tax season.
    Snap Fitness has been very good to me. PT is awesome here. Our clients are fantastic and very willing to learn stuff.
    i worked at a snap fitness for a few months. Never had any complaints working there. I only left because there was 0 clientele because of the location. Literally only like 20 members over the first month who belonged there. I only had 2 clients. Wasnt worth it and by the location it wasnt going to really grow.

i DID have complaints working at planet fitness in FLA. effin hated it. Ive heard LA isnt horrible.
    http://forms.aweber.com/form/85/1635053985.htm - Newsletter!

Posts are my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.
    -----------------------------------
    Baseball insane

-----------------------------------
    i do it all on my own

Did a quick check and it looks like there are a few Snap Fitness locations a little ways to the South and a little to the North in the suburbs, but strangely not any right in the heart of Salt Lake. Nearest one is about 15 miles away. Maybe I'll look into it when the time comes.

So I went on a reconnaissance mission and talked to a couple of trainers both at 24 Hour and Gold's a couple of days ago. It was interesting and basically confirmed what a lot of people have said around here: It's a good way to get some experience but you're not going to get rich doing it and ultimately you're going to want to go independent to really start making money.

Although the training manager at Gold's did say that if you can manage to stick with the gym and work your way up you can make about $25 an hour, but he said almost no one sticks around that long. Another interesting thing he said was that you don't have to be certified to get hired and that they'll put you through a certification course called Smart Fitness. Anyone familiar with this cert?

Anyone know how the pay structure works at 24 Hour? I know there are different trainer levels but I don't know how you move from one to the other or how much each level pays.

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Try to get into a YMCA or Jewish Community Center. They put less stress on you to make money and they tend to pay a bit more. they also tend to put more emphasis on education.
    good luck!
    Joe
    Joe Cannon, MS
    Joe-Cannon.com
    SupplementClarity.com

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There are typically two goals... One is to one day become a manager of either the personal trainer division or the club itself and the other goal is to establish a clientele base with which you can possibly start out on your own, at your own facility. Figure out what your long term goal is and then seek out the opportunity that can best help you reach it.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

visys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) visys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) visys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) visys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) visys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) visys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) visys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) visys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) visys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) visys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) visys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    try to get in a gym with a lot of seniors. Many seniors are willing to spend the money on PT. The downside is be prepared to do a lot of research on modifications since many will use a personal trainer because the doctor recommends a workout routine and these people hire a trainer for health reasons such as lower blood pressure or to strengthened bones