niven5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) niven5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) niven5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is my workout intense enough?

Hello guys I've been training with high volume for a long time, but recently I read about positive nitrogen balance and how overtraining can destroy it easily so I decided to lower my volume for each bodypart and focus more on increasing the intensity.
    In addition i'm an ectomorph so I better train at lower volume.

Goal: build muscle
    Frequency: each muscle 2 times a week
    High intensity ; low volume.

NOTE: ALL EXERCISES ARE TO FAILURE

A - Chest / Shoe / Tri:
    Barbell Bench Press - 3x6-8 (30X0 tempo)
    Weighted Dips - 2x6-8, 1xMax (BW)
    Standing Dumbbell Press - 3x8-10 (15 seconds rest pause on last set)
    Incline Side Raises / Incline Reverse Flyes - 3x10-12 (supersetting)
    Triceps Pushdown - Rope Attachment - 3x8-10 (30X0 tempo , quad drop on last set)

B - Back / Legs / Bi
    Bodyweight Pull Ups - 3xMAX
    One Arm Dumbbell Row - 3x8-10 (30X0 tempo)
    Barbell Back Squat - 3x8-10 (15 sec rest pause on last set)
    Dumbbell Lunges - 3x8-10 (supersetted w/ calf raises 3x12-15)
    Incline Dumbbell Curl - 3x8-10 (21's on last set)

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Nitrogen balance is a function of diet not training.

Undertraining is far far more common than overtraining. You should not be afraid of giving it 100%

Get on a well planned routine like all pros and it will manage your intensity in a series of waves to get the most out of you.

niven5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) niven5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) niven5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Nitrogen balance is a function of diet not training.

Undertraining is far far more common than overtraining. You should not be afraid of giving it 100%

Get on a well planned routine like all pros and it will manage your intensity in a series of waves to get the most out of you.
    I know but your body crave to more protein when overtraining in order to compensate your muscles.
    So if you don't eat enough protein you will never get to that PNB, which is a key for muscle growth.
    correct me if i'm wrong.

My volume for training is that large muscles get 16-18 sets and smaller muscles get 10-12 sets.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by niven5 View Post
    I know but your body crave to more protein when overtraining in order to compensate your muscles.
    So if you don't eat enough protein you will never get to that PNB, which is a key for muscle growth.
    correct me if i'm wrong.

My volume for training is that large muscles get 16-18 sets and smaller muscles get 10-12 sets.
    If you get 0.82g of protein per lb of lean body mass and eat a surplus of calories you WILL be in PNB even when training hard.

If you get 0.82g of protein per lb of lean body mass and eat a surplus of calories you WILL be in PNB even when training hard.
    What about my overall volume per bodypart? as I said above: 16-18 for large muscles, 10-12 sets for small muscles.

beersd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beersd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beersd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beersd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beersd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beersd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beersd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beersd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beersd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beersd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beersd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hello guys I've been training with high volume for a long time, but recently I read about positive nitrogen balance and how overtraining can destroy it easily so I decided to lower my volume for each bodypart and focus more on increasing the intensity.
    In addition i'm an ectomorph so I better train at lower volume.

Goal: build muscle
    Frequency: each muscle 2 times a week
    High intensity ; low volume.

NOTE: ALL EXERCISES ARE TO FAILURE

A - Chest / Shoe / Tri:
    Barbell Bench Press - 3x6-8 (30X0 tempo)
    Weighted Dips - 2x6-8, 1xMax (BW)
    Standing Dumbbell Press - 3x8-10 (15 seconds rest pause on last set)
    Incline Side Raises / Incline Reverse Flyes - 3x10-12 (supersetting)
    Triceps Pushdown - Rope Attachment - 3x8-10 (30X0 tempo , quad drop on last set)

B - Back / Legs / Bi
    Bodyweight Pull Ups - 3xMAX
    One Arm Dumbbell Row - 3x8-10 (30X0 tempo)
    Barbell Back Squat - 3x8-10 (15 sec rest pause on last set)
    Dumbbell Lunges - 3x8-10 (supersetted w/ calf raises 3x12-15)
    Incline Dumbbell Curl - 3x8-10 (21's on last set)
    You say you're an ectomorph and need low volume but you're doing high volume sets. If you want to gain mass drop down to doing 3x5 with 2 warmup sets at 25% and 50%. or try doing 3x5 and going heavy on your main lifts then keeping the rest how it is

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Training to failure is never the best way to maintain the highest intensity for training. It will burn you out and slow your progress in a relatively short time.

Doing things like rest/pause, supersetting, and 21's are also unnecessary for someone of your experience level and can prevent you from hitting your top intensity on each exercise.

Worrying about tempo is also pointless for you and will not help you work hard.

Your exercise order is also poor for peak intensity.

What you really need to do is get on any basic beginner routine and give it your all.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    intensity is relative, we cant know how intense you are going by looking at reps and sets. intensity is pushing yourself to your absolute limits. and dont get caught up by those bs you read. muscle building needs high volume. thats what seperates bodybuilders from powerlifters. you just need to eat more food to support your high volume training. you will have positive nitrogen balance if you are getting adequate protein and calories

What about my overall volume per bodypart? as I said above: 16-18 for large muscles, 10-12 sets for small muscles.
    It doesn't work that way. You do enough to stimulate a muscle growth response. In novices, this doesn't have to be a big stimulus. More advanced lifters may have to use more volume.

Nobody trains for small muscles, everyone is trying to make them big as fast as possible - but it's very slow and difficult which is why most people aren't huge.

It doesn't work that way. You do enough to stimulate a muscle growth response. In novices, this doesn't have to be a big stimulus. More advanced lifters may have to use more volume.

Nobody trains for small muscles, everyone is trying to make them big as fast as possible - but it's very slow and difficult which is why most people aren't huge.
    Originally Posted by magician27 View Post
    intensity is relative, we cant know how intense you are going by looking at reps and sets. intensity is pushing yourself to your absolute limits. and dont get caught up by those bs you read. muscle building needs high volume. thats what seperates bodybuilders from powerlifters. you just need to eat more food to support your high volume training. you will have positive nitrogen balance if you are getting adequate protein and calories
    thank you very much guys!