Registered User creativsabotage's Avatar
    creativsabotage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hoist V6 options

Any opinions on this system? Are there other less expensive options?

Hoist V6 Personal Pulley System

hoistfitness.com/consumer/equipment/v6_personal-pulley-gym

raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by creativsabotage View Post

I think you can do better for a functional trainer for the money..........much better.

BTW, I hope the hoist v6 was not gonna be your gym all by it self. If that was going to be the case then run like hell the other way. The other way being............a cage, bench, plates and bar off CL for a hell of a lot less.

Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Skyaura is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by raynelson188 View Post
    I think you can do better for a functional trainer for the money..........much better.

BTW, I hope the hoist v6 was not gonna be your gym all by it self. If that was going to be the case then run like hell the other way. The other way being............a cage, bench, plates and bar off CL for a hell of a lot less.
    Well, maybe not. Depends on his goals as always. If you want to go the least expensive option, bodyweight exercises would be the cheapest. From there you have kettlebells and suspension trainers. A 16 or 18 kg KB with a Lifeline USA suspension trainer will run you less than $200, provide a ton of versatility and take up no room. Stick in a closet after you finish.

As for the power rack, it is the best option in most cases. But, it does takes up space. And it is just a big hunk of metal if not used. And say what you will, the Functional Trainer is very versatile and useful option, although expensive option if picked up new. To the OP the V6 is a good product. Probably the gold standard, however, for FTs is the Cybex Bravo or Keiser. Both are used extensively in many athletic training facilities.

Thank you both for the insight. I think I'm trying to find one machine that will do everything. I'm going to step back and set some priorities. And yeah, this systems are crazy expensive, thus I'm not afraid to embarrass myself to ask questions.

raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Originally Posted by Skyaura View Post
    Well, maybe not. Depends on his goals as always. If you want to go the least expensive option, bodyweight exercises would be the cheapest. From there you have kettlebells and suspension trainers. A 16 or 18 kg KB with a Lifeline USA suspension trainer will run you less than $200, provide a ton of versatility and take up no room. Stick in a closet after you finish.

As for the power rack, it is the best option in most cases. But, it does takes up space. And it is just a big hunk of metal if not used. And say what you will, the Functional Trainer is very versatile and useful option, although expensive option if picked up new. To the OP the V6 is a good product. Probably the gold standard, however, for FTs is the Cybex Bravo or Keiser. Both are used extensively in many athletic training facilities.
    Thank you both for the insight. I think I'm trying to find one machine that will do everything. I'm going to step back and set some priorities. And yeah, this systems are crazy expensive, thus I'm not afraid to embarrass myself to ask questions.
    OP:

Ok, I will just answer your first questions and leave it at that.

1. My opinion of that system is very, very poor. Why/how? I've had two of them in my home gym.

2. That particular trainer is WAAAAY over priced (like 99% of all equipment at retail $) and you can do better even at retail but ALOT better if your willing to buy used.

What do you recommend?

OP:

Ok, I will just answer your first questions and leave it at that.

1. My opinion of that system is very, very poor. Why/how? I've had two of them in my home gym.

2. That particular trainer is WAAAAY over priced (like 99% of all equipment at retail $) and you can do better even at retail but ALOT better if your willing to buy used.

Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you really must have a FT, a cheaper option is Tuff Stuff for $2g
    fitness4homesuperstore.com/HomeFitnessEquipment/FunctionalTrainers/TuffStuffDAP1000FunctionalTrainer/tabid/512/Default.aspx
    Downside is you're limited to 170 lb stack. No option for upgrade at least from manufacturer.

Another is Body Solid. If you get it from CFF, you can upgrade to 310 lb stack. Go all out and it totals to $2151 with free shipping
    christiansfitnessfactory.com/index.php/functional-training-center.html?___SID=U

Another piece that's been discussed here is the Inspire FT2, for all pros and cons look here
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153374851
    It is pricey though, around $3200 but seems more versatile (included modified Smith bar)

Cheapest option is get yourself a rack with low/high pulley attachment then build a cable crossover as outlined here
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153518781
    I've done it and in all costs about $50 in parts, certainly not as smooth as a dedicated stand alone FT and you're limited to low/high pulleys only

Or look around your local CL for good deals. FT are somewhat rare in my area. I've seen a used Xmark unit going for $1000 in past 6 mos. If I were to buy one, I would definitely look for a used commercial unit from places like csmfitness. Just last month coastfitness had a used Tuff Stuff one for $1500.
    Good luck whatever you decide

undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Your fitness goals will determine whether an FT is enough of an all-in-one-machine for you. The only thing true do-it-all machine is…free weights.

I have a v6 and I think it is a great home unit. However, I also paid way less than $3k for it on CL. Way less than $2k. Way less than $1k, actually. I love having it in my gym, but I wouldn't have paid more than maybe $800 for it, or any FT.

I have had a lot of experience with both Hoist and Body Solid machines, though not the BS FT, and I would never expect a BS piece to have nearly the quality of a Hoist piece. I don't have enough experience with Tuff Stuff machines to opine.

Originally Posted by undrconstruxn View Post
    Your fitness goals will determine whether an FT is enough of an all-in-one-machine for you. The only thing true do-it-all machine is…free weights.

I have a v6 and I think it is a great home unit. However, I also paid way less than $3k for it on CL. Way less than $2k. Way less than $1k, actually. I love having it in my gym, but I wouldn't have paid more than maybe $800 for it, or any FT.

I have had a lot of experience with both Hoist and Body Solid machines, though not the BS FT, and I would never expect a BS piece to have nearly the quality of a Hoist piece. I don't have enough experience with Tuff Stuff machines to opine.
    I have owned several FT's from nautilus, cybex, precor, .......etc...including the hoist ft the OP is asking about and the body solid gdcc200 with upgraded stacks.

I bought all of them used. I used them all pretty much the same. Which one do I consider the best bang for the buck?

Body Solid gdcc200 by far.............It is every bit as smooth and has a lifetime warranty if bought new for about the same or (usually ALOT less) less than what the others (ever now and then I find them in same price range but that's rare) cost used with no warranty, no shipping and nowhere near as heavy stacked. You can get the BS gdcc200 with dual 310 lb stacks. That is not easy to find on a "ANY" FT without paying WAAAAAYYYY more than what you can get the BS gdcc200 for and still end up with a very, very similar machine in quality..etc.

What do you recommend?
    If you are stuck on buying a new functional trainer......then hands down..........Body solid gdcc200 with upgraded stacks.

I would stay between 225 lb and 250 lb on the stacks if you upgrade. Yes, you can go all the way to 300+ per stack but I can assure you that is not suggested by most (not saying some don't do it) if for no other reason than the loss of ROM, not to mention safety depending on how your gonna use it.

BTW......If you decide to go with a new BS FT............call Matt at fitnessfactory...dot...com.

He can and will beat the crap out of EVERYONES prices on BS equipment. They are Body solid's sister company. You can get that machine from him for $1,100 to $1,200 (give or take a hundred...depending on shipping rates at the time).

Remember, just because it says FREE SHIPPING does not mean it is free. Shipping is figured in so sometimes he may be a hundred or so higher than other times for said reasons. Every company that offers free shipping does the same.

For a home gym in your budget I would either do ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ or watch CL like a hawk and then be willing to travel.

To me you really don't have another option when stacking quality vs. $$$ with "NEW" functional trainers.

That's just me though. Then again, check my gym out. I only have $150.00 in my entire gym from the flooring up. I've seen plenty of studio gyms like mine where the owner says they have $5,000 to $7,000 in. Keep in mind I spent time buying and selling....repeat........and repeat to do that.

Not counting my DB's.........LOL........lets not talk about how much I have in them..........."if they ever get here that is". Cemco is a great product but they are slow as hell.

I'm almost to the point of worrying. After I bought my db's I found out that cemco may or may not be having problems due to the owner's death.

undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10) undrconstruxn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How are people putting 310 lbs per side on the BS? They offer an upgrade to 210, but how do you get a longer pin after that that can hold another 10 plates?

I currently have a BS GS5 that I bought for lat pulldowns, low rows, leg press, and the occasional machine rows and presses. And it could upgraded to a 260 lb stack, which I have done. And I liked that the leg press has a big plate for different foot positions.

And I hate it. It doesn't have smooth action. The hollow weight guide rods flex and wobble as the weight moves. The pop pins are not smooth and have to be screwed down to hold tight. The adjustment is particularly difficult on the leg press. All the pads are this mushy foam.

This machine replaced a Hoist mulit that was not as adjustable but was a much more solid and smooth machine. The weight guide rods are solid steel. The machine is made of thick, thick steel all around. The pop pins actually pop like a commercial machine. I will be ditching the GS5 and going back to Hoist.
    Last edited by undrconstruxn; 01-28-2014 at 06:38 AM.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is the best advice you gave the OP.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ info was spot as far as his question.

I have had a lot of experience with both Hoist and Body Solid machines, though not the BS FT, and

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I too have had experience with those and many other brands......I buy on average 3 or 4 (sometimes more depending) FT's a month to flip.

I would never expect a BS piece to have nearly the quality of a Hoist piece. I don't have enough experience with Tuff Stuff machines to opine.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Part of your post is the ONLY reason I responded to your post to the OP. I wanted to make sure he knew that body solid does in fact make equipment that is every bit as good as hoist (for much less money) and even "some" of the higher end stuff (some, not all). The only thing is...........most people that buy BS usually buy their "for home use" stuff such as the all-in-one gyms or their lower end stand alone stuff ....so, that is what ends up floating around on CL. Thus, most never see or use a quality BS piece and assume all BS is the same.

How are people putting 310 lbs per side on the BS? They offer an upgrade to 210, but how do you get a longer pin after that that can hold another 10 plates?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^You don't get a long pin. You go with larger plates. I don't like the 310 lb stacks. I like the stacks up to ~250 lb. Not because they are not smooth, wobble etc.....but because of ROM and because that machine like most all (even the highest end), is not designed for that large of a stack.

I currently have a BS GS5 that I bought for lat pulldowns, low rows, leg press, and the occasional machine rows and presses. And it could upgraded to a 260 lb stack, which I have done. And I liked that the leg press has a big plate for different foot positions.

And I hate it. It doesn't have smooth action. The hollow weight guide rods flex and wobble as the weight moves. The pop pins are not smooth and have to be screwed down to hold tight. The adjustment is particularly difficult on the leg press. All the pads are this mushy foam.

This machine replaced a Hoist mulit that was not as adjustable but was a much more solid and smooth machine. The weight guide rods are solid steel. The machine is made of thick, thick steel all around. The pop pins actually pop like a commercial machine. I will be ditching the GS5 and going back to Hoist.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't doubt this one bit. The machine you have is in the group mentioned above. BS makes a wide range of quality/$$$ machines etc. That way people that don't have the money or have it but don't want to spend it can still buy equipment in a much lower price range........thus the much lower end of quality.
    Everyone has their opinions. I am not saying your opinion is any worse than mine or anyone else's.

I just wanted the OP to know that he has just as good (even better to some) in options in much lower $$$ range.

Understood. Like I said, I have seen a lot of BS come and go via flipping, and I've usually thought it was average to above average quality, but definitely not "commercial rated" like they generally advertise. Based on that above-averageness I installed this $3000 GS5 I picked up, and it has soured me on the brand somewhat.

I am still wondering how you can load 310 lb per side on the BS.

Understood. Like I said, I have seen a lot of BS come and go via flipping, and I've usually thought it was average to above average quality, but definitely not "commercial rated" like they generally advertise. Based on that above-averageness I installed this $3000 GS5 I picked up, and it has soured me on the brand somewhat.

I am still wondering how you can load 310 lb per side on the BS.

The standard stack with that particular machine uses 10lb plates. The loading pin has 20 placements. If you replace all twenty 10lb plates with 15lb plates you will have 300lbs not counting the top plate which is where the other ~10lb comes from making it a ~310lb stack per side.

I bought mine used and it had the 210lb (twenty 10lb plates) stack. If I had my choice (and for cheap) I would replace the bottom few plates with 15lb plates to make the stack a ~250lb stack...........thus, having a lot heavier stack than average but at the same time NOT losing any ROM.

As for the GS5..........well, IMO "any" all-in-one machine is sub-par (bar none) to even the cheapest bar, plates, bench and cage.
    Last edited by raynelson188; 01-28-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: My typing is terrible

The standard stack with that particular machine uses 10lb plates. The loading pin has 20 placements. If you replace all twenty 10lb plates with 15lb plates you will have 300lbs not counting the top plate which is where the other ~10lb comes from making it a ~310lb stack per side.

I bought mine used and it had the 210lb (twenty 10lb plates) stack. If I had my choice (and for cheap) I would replace the bottom few plates with 15lb plates to make the stack a ~250lb stack...........thus, having a lot heavier stack than average but at the same time NOT losing any ROM.

As for the GS5..........well, IMO "any" all-in-one machine is sub-par (bar none) to even the cheapest bar, plates, bench and cage.
    So where do you get 15 lb plates, I guess is what I'm asking. I have not investigated machines enough to know if various brands are interchangeable for guide rod width. Or does BS make 15 lb plates?

I agree wholeheartedly about an all-in-one machine vs. free weights. I do consider it a useful adjunct in a small space to be able to get - with a quality piece - a smooth lat pull and low row, and the occasional machine press and row as a change-up. I thought having a leg press in a small space would be useful too, but I'm going to ditch that idea.

If I had room for a variety of specialized pieces I would potentially install them - hell, I have one of everything in the storage waiting to flip. But I am limited for gym space, so I lean on the all-in-one for some occasional movements.

Remarkable that you can flip 3-4 FTs a month, that's about six months worth for me.

So where do you get 15 lb plates, I guess is what I'm asking. I have not investigated machines enough to know if various brands are interchangeable for guide rod width. Or does BS make 15 lb plates?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yes, you would get the 15lb plates from BS. It is the same plates they put on the slm300g-2 that is also a 210lb standard stack that can also be upgraded just like the FT can. The only difference is the lat pull does not lose any ROM when upgraded to it's fullest.

I agree wholeheartedly about an all-in-one machine vs. free weights. I do consider it a useful adjunct in a small space to be able to get - with a quality piece - a smooth lat pull and low row, and the occasional machine press and row as a change-up. I thought having a leg press in a small space would be useful too, but I'm going to ditch that idea.

If I had room for a variety of specialized pieces I would potentially install them - hell, I have one of everything in the storage waiting to flip. But I am limited for gym space, so I lean on the all-in-one for some occasional movements.

^^^^^^^^^^Understood completely! Before I moved into the home I am in now I could in no way have had a commercial-like gym. To me that (commercial-like) means having mid-grade or better standalone pieces for most all body parts (within reason....which is why I said "commercial-LIKE").

Before my current gym I had very little space. I had around 12' x 12' of space at that time for everything. My wife's elliptical, treadmill and bike took most all of that up........lol.........so it was off to the gym pretty much anytime I wanted a session other than cardio with a few db movements.

After the move.........I now have 12' 6" x 35' for my lifting equipment and put the cardio in a room to itself.

Remarkable that you can flip 3-4 FTs a month, that's about six months worth for me.

^^^^^^^^^^Well, I'm retired so I can up and go pretty much at the drop of a hat. So, if I see something on CL or any of the other site that is worth driving for I call my brother (also retired) and hit the road.

It is an on/off thing for me. I do it for a while and then I will get tired of it...........then all of a sudden I find myself on CL one night at 2:00 am looking for a deal. My wife says I'm addicted to buying and selling gym equipment more so than using it. She may be right.

BTW, I also build a piece ever now and then but the pieces I have built really look bad.........when I say bad I mean so bad I really on charged about a $100 more than I had in them.........cages, lat pulls etc..
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ stuff really is fun (most of the time)...lol. Now if I could only be this diligent in using my equipment. Hmmm.
    Last edited by raynelson188; 01-28-2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: I dont think I can post without editing...lol.

OP:

Sorry for getting off topic in your thread. I just realized it. Will not happen again.........today.....lol.........I'm old and forget.

amattera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you are stuck on buying a new functional trainer......then hands down..........Body solid gdcc200 with upgraded stacks.

BTW......If you decide to go with a new BS FT............call Matt at fitnessfactory...dot...com.

Anyone have a number for Matt or which location he's at?

Thanks,

Andre