nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Part-time Independent part-time chain gym

Hello everyone, I just recently moved to Portland Oregon, from Lago Vista Texas. I was an independent contracting personal trainer for 1 year in Texas.

I was wondering if it was possible and/or a good idea to work at 2 gyms part-time.

Working at a commercial gym part-time I could establish myself and get to know people in the new area. My plan would be to keep these clients at the commercial gym only.

At the same time, I would be working part-time at an independent gym, advertising myself and building clientele on the side while I worked at a commercial gym.

My fears are: some commercial gyms don't allow you to work within an "x radius" of their facility. My plan is to talk with all of the managers/owners of the gyms in Portland (talked with some already) and find one that doesn't have this rule.

The commercial gym may try to pull the "no-compete clause", which I believe I'd be safe in the eyes of the law as I am not taking their clients, but rather building unrelated clients at a different facility which has no affect on their personal business.

Any input is appreciated

phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you have done independent before, why not put all your effort and focus into building that in your new location, rather than spread your attention in multiple fronts?
    ?
    Only a life lived for others, is a life worthwhile.

joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50) joekingpt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with the above, it's best to focus all your energy towards independent training, it can be very lucrative. However, I have two independent trainers at my club. Essentially what they do is use my facility to train their existing clients, and they also work elsewhere. I have them sign an agreement that states they pay a flat amount per session for use of the facility to an extent (once they cross a certain threshold then they pay a flat monthly amount which works in their advantage). If they recruit a client from my gym, they fall under our pay structure. That way the staff trainers don't feel like they are getting screwed. This has worked to the benefit of everyone thusfar.

Definitely let your potential employer know your plans, I would trust someone much more if they were up front with me about it. Good luck!
    Joe King MS, NASM CPT, PES, CES, SNS
    Exercise Physiologist, Personal Training Director
    joeking.trainerize.com

nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickail will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I need a little bit of income starting out, and it takes time to expand as an independent contractor starting fresh. However, my goal is to become fully independent as I build my clientele in the new city. I was also thinking that the people I train at the commercial gym could have friends they refer me to that don't attend any gyms, allowing me to train them at the independent location. (not sure if this is against any laws). I also like the social environment of being in a commercial gym, as it's fun to meet new people which doesn't happen as often in a smaller gym. Meeting lots of people would also lead to more potential of spreading my name. I also plan on being honest throughout my interactions as that's the best way to build true connections.

Thanks for the replies, helps me with the brainstorming

MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50) MkADcision will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Something else to consider.
    You could work at a normal 9-5 job while you build your business on the side. That way you avoid the legal entanglements of working at a gym while also being an independent.
    Also, it will keep things fresh if your day job is non gym related. Imagine if you work at a gym all day as a p/t, train privately on the side at a gym and also do your own personal workouts.
    You'll be living, breathing exercise and working out 24/7.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This is a great idea. The 'non-compete' clause is not ever enforced. Just keep a low profile and not broadcast to everyone what you are doing and you will be fine.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.