allarmsnolegs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how many exercises

How many exercises should you do per muscle group? I've only been working out for 4\5 months and do each body part once a week. I do compound movements at the beginning of workouts and usually do about 3 more exercises, looking to build mass, thanks.

Spartan1414 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Spartan1414 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Spartan1414 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Spartan1414 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Spartan1414 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Spartan1414 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Spartan1414 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Spartan1414 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Spartan1414 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Spartan1414 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Spartan1414 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Do you keep a log? You can compare workouts and judge if you're improving or overtraining. Personally I started with 3 exercises 3 sets per for each muscle group. Years later I'm doing 5-6 exercises 5-7 sets per and my belief is if you're still improving whether you're adding weight or reps especially towards the end then you're doing good. Initially when I tried upping volume way back when I noticed my strength and endurance dropping each week so. I backed off and it started improving again.

Of course this assumes you're eating enough.

Also kudos for bucking the pre-exhaustion trend and starting with your heavy compound exercises. I mean if doing 10 max sets of flyes and 10 max sets of push-ups is increasing that last exercise you do, your bench press, wow. Mark Bell calls that working out backwards
    Training to be BIGGER STRONGER and FASTER
    Check out my Blog at www.BeefTrain.com

Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by allarmsnolegs View Post
    How many exercises should you do per muscle group? I've only been working out for 4\5 months and do each body part once a week. I do compound movements at the beginning of workouts and usually do about 3 more exercises, looking to build mass, thanks.
    Really that sounds about right. I do my big lift of the day and then 2-4 others. I train for strength not muscle mass or bodybuilding though. So your goals may be different.

allarmsnolegs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Spartan1414 View Post
    Do you keep a log? You can compare workouts and judge if you're improving or overtraining. Personally I started with 3 exercises 3 sets per for each muscle group. Years later I'm doing 5-6 exercises 5-7 sets per and my belief is if you're still improving whether you're adding weight or reps especially towards the end then you're doing good. Initially when I tried upping volume way back when I noticed my strength and endurance dropping each week so. I backed off and it started improving again.

Of course this assumes you're eating enough.

Also kudos for bucking the pre-exhaustion trend and starting with your heavy compound exercises. I mean if doing 10 max sets of flyes and 10 max sets of push-ups is increasing that last exercise you do, your bench press, wow. Mark Bell calls that working out backwards
    Thanks, yes I am making progress in all areas at the moment so I'll keep it the same until I see a plateau.