Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OzChops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    For me only, eating those "types" of foods while trying to drop weight was considered a set-back. I lost a hair over 90lbs, so I have sort of been there and done that.

Guys who have never been obese may not understand it, as I find it hard to imagine what it must be like not being able to gain weight.

Like most major life changes, there is always a misunderstood mental aspect to hitting a goal, and setbacks come in all forms.

I should add, I have been the happiest I have been in my entire life after dropping the extra weight. The process never got me down, and if anything, it proved to me that I don't "need" that kind of food in my life, at all. Make room for crap food? Not necessary imo. No need (scientifically speaking) to have it at all if you don't want it.
    Thanks for the candid reply.
    If my post was not clear, I certainly consider you in the "been there and done that" group, hence seeing value in your opinion.

Originally Posted by hmmmm16417 View Post
    It was a waste of calories lol clean calories are so much better!
    that particular day I ended up going over on calories about 500.
    I understand that cheating on occasion is ok if it is minimal, but I was doing so good......and if it wasn't for that GARBAGE FOOD I would have been good. Besides, made me feek kinda sick .
    Ok I must have misunderstood your post (quoted below) which suggested to me you were within your daily calories even with the danish.

Originally Posted by hmmmm16417 View Post
    LOL I actually cheated the other night at work. i've been good for the past 6 weeks. I used to pretty much eat out of the vending machines at work.....yuck! but hey, it was quick and easy. Anyways, i've been cooking prior and packing stuff like chicken breast, steak, broccoli, fruit, yogart, tuna, etc. and tracking calories. The other night I was STARVING so I figured i'd grab something from the break room. a strawberry cheese danish....(not very big - about 3" x 5") I just opened it and ate it. as I was eating the last bite, guilt took over and made me look at the nutritional value.....700 calories!!!!! wtf?!?!?! So to the op....same as your title...no wonder I got fat! fortunately I still was within my 2680 calories for the day, but I actually felt sick about an hour later.
    Thanks for the clarity guys, it's appreciated.
    Lift heavy things, eat according to your goals.

mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mcarthey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Overcoming my food addiction was extremely tough and I still backslide occasionally. Unfortunately I need to avoid certain trigger foods or it sets off binge eating. Stupid but true. It was about resetting my body to recognize I'm full and satisfied as much as it was a willpower issue. It does get easier.

ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    *yawn*
    Same old sh*t just a different year.

racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    What makes you think I had a point? Do I ever?

Srs, I had nooooo farkin' idea they added up like that. Hell, I'd have gotten 2 slices of pizza for about 350 calories. I'd have the sharts and bloat from the wheat anyway.
    I had roughly an 8 year (forget exactly how long) battle with debilitating pain in my joints, especially knees and feet, and exhaustion. I went to a few different docs during that time, but went undiagnosed til I read something online that gluten can cause widespread inflammation and illness (as well as some other types of foods too). I went from wondering if I should buy a wheelchair one day to being able to use the treadmill in less than a week later! My frequent headaches lessened too. As you log, you might want to see if any foods trigger weird symptoms for you.

hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by OzChops View Post

Ok I must have misunderstood your post (quoted below) which suggested to me you were within your daily calories .
    I went back checked my log and was over daily limit. Sorry for the confusion

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by racejunkie View Post
    I had roughly an 8 year (forget exactly how long) battle with debilitating pain in my joints, especially knees and feet, and exhaustion. I went to a few different docs during that time, but went undiagnosed til I read something online that gluten can cause widespread inflammation and illness (as well as some other types of foods too). I went from wondering if I should buy a wheelchair one day to being able to use the treadmill in less than a week later! My frequent headaches lessened too. As you log, you might want to see if any foods trigger weird symptoms for you.
    People blow off the idea of gluten intolerance, but lactose intolerance is widely accepted. My doctor ran a celiac blood test on me, which came back negative. I didn't expect any other results. There's non-celiac gluten intolerance, and degrees of it. I had a physiotherapist who is dead set against gluten for his patients who can't tolerate it, which he can tell by how they present (including me)... systemic inflammation, belly bloat. I don't avoid wheat entirely, but I try to limit it to whole grains, and even then only once or twice a day in a small amount. I've got two slices of multi-grain toast this morning, and some pasta for lunch today, but it's half the serving amount. There's something about white flour products that sets off the symptoms. The mechanism is probably a no-brainer, but I can't think it out right now. Suffice to say, it happens to me. Charles Poliquin wrote about it some years ago saying if you can tolerate pasta, eat it; if you can't tolerate it, don't eat it, not everyone can.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    People blow off the idea of gluten intolerance, but lactose intolerance is widely accepted. My doctor ran a celiac blood test on me, which came back negative. I didn't expect any other results. There's non-celiac gluten intolerance, and degrees of it. I had a physiotherapist who is dead set against gluten for his patients who can't tolerate it, which he can tell by how they present (including me)... systemic inflammation, belly bloat. I don't avoid wheat entirely, but I try to limit it to whole grains, and even then only once or twice a day in a small amount. I've got two slices of multi-grain toast this morning, and some pasta for lunch today, but it's half the serving amount. There's something about white flour products that sets off the symptoms. The mechanism is probably a no-brainer, but I can't think it out right now. Suffice to say, it happens to me. Charles Poliquin wrote about it some years ago saying if you can tolerate pasta, eat it; if you can't tolerate it, don't eat it, not everyone can.
    A negative result on a blood test doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't have celiac. A definitive diagnosis involves a biopsy, and that's only after ingesting plenty of gluten on a regular basis before it. Otherwise, you could have a false negative. I'm only bringing this up because undiagnosed CD can lead to cancer of the GI tract. It destroys the villi of the intestinal walls, where nutrient absorption occurs. There are plenty of GF options these days. Udi makes a good line of GF breads and rolls. Walmart sells pasta made from brown rice or quinoa. And there's wheat hidden in some products like contadina canned tomato paste too!

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by racejunkie View Post
    A negative result on a blood test doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't have celiac. A definitive diagnosis involves a biopsy, and that's only after ingesting plenty of gluten on a regular basis before it. Otherwise, you could have a false negative. I'm only bringing this up because undiagnosed CD can lead to cancer of the GI tract. It destroys the villi of the intestinal walls, where nutrient absorption occurs. There are plenty of GF options these days. Udi makes a good line of GF breads and rolls. Walmart sells pasta made from brown rice or quinoa. And there's wheat hidden in some products like contadina canned tomato paste too!
    I definitely agree with you about the false negatives on blood tests. I know that the only true test is a biopsy, which I don't think is necessary at this point because I know what gluten does to me... if I avoid it, problem solved. I mentioned that I am limiting myself to two slices of whole wheat or multigrain grain bread or pasta, not even every day. I have to stay away from white flour, like pizza and white pasta. The worse part is that once I start eating anything with white flour, I cannot stop. I've had gf bread which is teh suck, I can do without it. lol Alan Aragon created this pyramid for one of his articles, which I think is bang on. There's a minimum of grains.
    Attached Images
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).