Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Question I need some advice on dumbbells for my home gym. Questions...

I had some hex DB's that I got for the cheap a while back but one of them broke on me yesterday. I'm now looking to buy some nice DB's and would like to know what you guys like, have or would buy. My budget is up to ~3k for the db's and a rack for them.

I'm wanting to buy the 5's, 8's, 10's, 12's, 15's, 20's, 25's.....etc.........thru 75's....in five lb increments.

I have 3/4" rubber mats for flooring protection.

Here are a couple brands and types I'm considering. What do you think of them and the price? Is there a place that will sell them cheaper? Is there a better brand in my price range I should be looking at?

Rubber or iron?

The cemco is $3,100.00 and the troy is $2,900.00.

Thanks for taking the time to advise me on this as I am really needing some db's that will last.

http://www.gtechfitness.com/images/p...mco_psdr.2.jpg

http://www.gtechfitness.com/images/p..._Dumbbells.jpg
    Last edited by raynelson188; 01-13-2014 at 07:19 PM.

AdventHorizon is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdventHorizon is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdventHorizon is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdventHorizon is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdventHorizon is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdventHorizon is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdventHorizon is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdventHorizon is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdventHorizon is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdventHorizon is on a distinguished road. (+10) AdventHorizon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What's your shipping budget and where are you? Those can be big questions - somebody in LA might be able to pick up their set one carload at a time, somebody like me here in Alaska is going to pay more for shipping than the weights. Less money for shipping is more money for the good stuff!

chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    have you checked locally yet? like craigslist? i recently got a set of 15s thru 160s in 5 pound increments with the heavy steel racks to hold them for 2500. if your patient enough then i would say look at craigs everyday sometimes 2 or 3 times daily if you have time. look for gyms that are closing down and trying to get rid of equipment for cheap.

raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) raynelson188 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by AdventHorizon View Post
    What's your shipping budget and where are you? Those can be big questions - somebody in LA might be able to pick up their set one carload at a time, somebody like me here in Alaska is going to pay more for shipping than the weights. Less money for shipping is more money for the good stuff!
    My budget is $3,200 or less for shipping and all. I hate shipping charges.

StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Where are you located?
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #35 ▪██─────██▪

Originally Posted by chad939 View Post
    have you checked locally yet? like craigslist? i recently got a set of 15s thru 160s in 5 pound increments with the heavy steel racks to hold them for 2500. if your patient enough then i would say look at craigs everyday sometimes 2 or 3 times daily if you have time. look for gyms that are closing down and trying to get rid of equipment for cheap.
    I have been watching CL for some time now. I have found a couple ads with db's from $1,200 to $1,500 but by the time I spent travel time and money I would have had 2k to 2.5k for used db's. If it is just a few hundred (~$800 or so) between used and new I will pick new every time if retail is 3k and used is 2k (with gas etc...etc...from picking up/delivery).

On the other hand I have found a freakin ton of hex db's but even they are usually close to retail for some reason. I hate hex dumbbells.

There use to be a gym to close at least every other weekend but I guess there are only so many. At some point the private owned gym is going to be a thing of the past which means all the great deals are going to be a thing of the past too. At that time all the freakin dealers will have all the used equipment bought up...........LOL............and I REALLY hope they get stuck with it.

I do not mind paying a man for his time but I hate the idea of paying someone $2,000 for something they paid $500 to $600 for last week from john does closing gym.

I know how that works. My brother bought a huge Cybex circuit off a guy that was closing three years ago. He got 38 pinned machines, 12 plate loaded machines, all kinds of cardio equipment made by true, Ivanko db's, Ivanko plates, all kinds of bars, flooring, mirrors, lockers, a ton of supplements that was still in date and popular, several huge boxes of T-shirts, shorts...and other training gear....................for $18,000.

He sold everything but the db's, plates, a smith, jungle gym (crossover type), cage, a few mats/mirrors and a couple adjustable benches $17,500 to a golds gym in Birmingham, Alabama two weeks after he bought it.

I've been trying to buy his db's ever since but he will not sell. I offered him 3k for the ivanko db's and racks last year. He just laughed....lol.

Originally Posted by StephanBB View Post
    Where are you located?
    Florence, Alabama

chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by raynelson188 View Post
    I have been watching CL for some time now. I have found a couple ads with db's from $1,200 to $1,500 but by the time I spent travel time and money I would have had 2k to 2.5k for used db's. If it is just a few hundred (~$800 or so) between used and new I will pick new every time if retail is 3k and used is 2k (with gas etc...etc...from picking up/delivery).

On the other hand I have found a freakin ton of hex db's but even they are usually close to retail for some reason. I hate hex dumbbells.

There use to be a gym to close at least every other weekend but I guess there are only so many. At some point the private owned gym is going to be a thing of the past which means all the great deals are going to be a thing of the past too. At that time all the freakin dealers will have all the used equipment bought up...........LOL............and I REALLY hope they get stuck with it.

I do not mind paying a man for his time but I hate the idea of paying someone $2,000 for something they paid $500 to $600 for last week from john does closing gym.

I know how that works. My brother bought a huge Cybex circuit off a guy that was closing three years ago. He got 38 pinned machines, 12 plate loaded machines, all kinds of cardio equipment made by true, Ivanko db's, Ivanko plates, all kinds of bars, flooring, mirrors, lockers, a ton of supplements that was still in date and popular, several huge boxes of T-shirts, shorts...and other training gear....................for $18,000.

He sold everything but the db's, plates, a smith, jungle gym (crossover type), cage, a few mats/mirrors and a couple adjustable benches $17,500 to a golds gym in Birmingham, Alabama two weeks after he bought it.

I've been trying to buy his db's ever since but he will not sell. I offered him 3k for the ivanko db's and racks last year. He just laughed....lol.
    yeah i know what you mean. i just happened to get lucky on my set. if your budget is 3200 or less for everything including shipping its gonna be pretty hard to get either of those sets. unless they ship free which i doubt. i know you said you dont like hex dumbbells but i just checked out rogue fitness website they selling rubber hex head set from 5s to 100s in 5 pound increments and its 2400 but i added in the zipcode of florence alabama and it quoted me 310 for shipping. so total 2700 or so maybe you should think it over.

Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    There's a set of new TAG round rubber DBs on eBay 5-120 lbs
    ebay.com/itm/21-Pairs-of-TAG-Fitness-Round-Rubber-Dumbbells-5-120-2560-total-pounds-/261370289266?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdae2 1c72

Current bid is $1650 + shipping with 5 hrs left so who knows how high it'll go but worth taking a look

Another option is set of Troy VTX urethane 5-50 lbs for $2169 with free shipping
    ebay.com/itm/New-Troy-Barbell-BD-005-050US-5-50-lb-Urethane-Dumbbell-Set-Free-Shipping-/271370343117?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2eee d2cd
    Then you have to buy the 55-70 lbs set separate. Currently they will run you $992 with free shipping for grand total of $3161. But then you still need a rack in which case I'd hit up csmfitness in Georgia for a used commercial unit
    Last edited by Poordad; 01-14-2014 at 07:27 AM.

swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Why not buy a set in 10 pound increments, then buy four 2.5 lb Platemates to attach on the ends - giving you a full set in five pound increments for about half the cost?

http://www.amazon.com/Plate-Mate-Don...rds=platemates
    STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS!!

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own." - 1 Corinthians 6:19

▪█─-─█▪ Equipment Crew #71 ▪█─-─█▪
    []---[] York Barbell Club #32 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #66 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #6 ||---||

amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Bought a pair of Powerblocks around thanksgiving. I've been really happy with them. Might be able to save you some coin.

kurtischinn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kurtischinn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kurtischinn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kurtischinn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kurtischinn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am using the Quick Lock dumbbells from Ironmaster (Google: ironmaster quick lock dumbbell)

Adjustable weights with plates, but not the silly spinlock that gets loose and makes racking harder. Square shape is nice that they don't roll. Plates stay on pretty sturdy when locked on (I've only had a little twist of the plates when I rack on 4+ plates per lock, and that's only a couple degrees turn - and you can solve it by using the thicker plates). The main downside of these is that anything lighter than 20lbs, I'd rather use a hex dumbbell because of the shape of the handles.

With the rack, saves a lot of space for dumbbells. I also like the kettle bell they have that lets you re-use the same plates for an adjustable kettle bell (minimum weight of 22.5lbs)

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by kurtischinn View Post
    I am using the Quick Lock dumbbells from Ironmaster (Google: ironmaster quick lock dumbbell)

Adjustable weights with plates, but not the silly spinlock that gets loose and makes racking harder. Square shape is nice that they don't roll. Plates stay on pretty sturdy when locked on (I've only had a little twist of the plates when I rack on 4+ plates per lock, and that's only a couple degrees turn - and you can solve it by using the thicker plates). The main downside of these is that anything lighter than 20lbs, I'd rather use a hex dumbbell because of the shape of the handles.

With the rack, saves a lot of space for dumbbells. I also like the kettle bell they have that lets you re-use the same plates for an adjustable kettle bell (minimum weight of 22.5lbs)
    I like the Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells too, but I think the OP is looking for a set of fixed weight dumbbells. The OP has a significant budget, however - it'd be possible to purchase three 75lb sets of Ironmaster dumbbells, two 45lb sets, and two pairs of handles. With this set of handles and plates, it'll be possible to construct pairs of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70 lb dumbbells with 70lbs (35lbs per dumbbell) of plates left over. 30lbs (15lbs per dumbbell) will be in 2.5lb plates. These spare plates can be used to easily construct intermediate weights with increments of 2.5lbs. So, for example, with 60lb dumbbell, you could add one 2.5lb plate to end up with 62.5lbs, or two 2.5lb plates for a 65lb dumbbell, or one 5lb plate and one 2.5lb plate for a 67.5lb dumbbell.

It'd be worth pricing a set of 10-70lb (in 10lb increments) too as this, in combination with platemates as this might be a less expensive option.

With regard to the Ironmaster kettlebell, I think it's great for swings, especially two handed swings. For other movements, I prefer fixed weight kettlebells. There's a long thread on it here. See: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=137559523
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Here is a listing within driving distance from you. You may have to contact the seller to get some pictures.

http://bham.craigslist.org/spo/4232148748.html
    [II]---[II] Equipment Crew #49 [II]---[II]

[[[---]]] York Barbell Crew #35 [[[---]]] (DD, RH)

"The iron is with you for a while, and you will use it to get stronger, while preserving it and protecting it for the men and women who will come after you. You aren't a consumer. You're a brother of the iron. It's your duty. It's your calling." -AttyGuy

Originally Posted by chad939 View Post
    yeah i know what you mean. i just happened to get lucky on my set. if your budget is 3200 or less for everything including shipping its gonna be pretty hard to get either of those sets. unless they ship free which i doubt. i know you said you dont like hex dumbbells but i just checked out rogue fitness website they selling rubber hex head set from 5s to 100s in 5 pound increments and its 2400 but i added in the zipcode of florence alabama and it quoted me 310 for shipping. so total 2700 or so maybe you should think it over.
    I called GTECH and they said $3,100.00 to my door........but no rack (cemco 5 - 75 lb)...........the troy was just a hundred dollars cheaper.........again...no rack.

Those hex your talking about.....are they made like body solid, fitness gear, cap ...etc... If so I don't think I would be satisfied with them.

I'm not a rich man but I want what I want and I want quality as I don't want to have to replace a dumbbell even 10 years from now because it was dropped from knee height a few times.

BTW. I called Rogue but could not get anyone on the phone. I looked at their db's and they look just like the cheapies I sold yesterday. They may not be but they sure do look a lot alike.

How can Rogue justify $2,700.00 for a set of hex dumbbells unless they are made way different than all the other hex I have used?

Also, I will not need past the 75 lb db's. I wish I could use them but I will prolly never use past the 50 or 55lb but I'm going to go up to 75lb just to be safe.

I have a fake lumbar (cages, pins, rods, no disks etc..) from S1 to L3 due to an accident.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to help me. Any help you give is very much needed.

Thanks,

Ray
    Last edited by raynelson188; 01-14-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: typing skills are bad

Originally Posted by BIgOrange865 View Post
    Here is a listing within driving distance from you. You may have to contact the seller to get some pictures.

http://bham.craigslist.org/spo/4232148748.html
    I talked to him. He said he has hex db's. He also said that he is not willing to part it out even though he has it priced as if he will.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Ray

BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No problem. Try contacting Allison foreman at York barbell and get a quote.

She has helped many people on these forums. If you search her name you can find her contact info...I'm being lazy.
    [II]---[II] Equipment Crew #49 [II]---[II]

[[[---]]] York Barbell Crew #35 [[[---]]] (DD, RH)

"The iron is with you for a while, and you will use it to get stronger, while preserving it and protecting it for the men and women who will come after you. You aren't a consumer. You're a brother of the iron. It's your duty. It's your calling." -AttyGuy

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm not a big fan of either Troy or Cemco since both have pretty spotty (nonexistant?) customer service. But my experience with their products has been positive.

Links to the specs would be helpful instead of the photo links. Check if the Cemco's are hard chrome. It's not as rust resistant but it has a much better feel than the decorative chrome used by some. I think it may also be less likely to peel. I had an odd pair of Cemco solid steel dumbbells and I liked them a lot. Good knurl and thick handles too. BUT those were solid steel dumbbells and I don't know if the handles are the same.

I also used a full rack of Troy rubber encased pro-style dumbbells for over 3 years. I liked them overall but I didn't like the skinny handles with the jagged knurl and the slick chrome finish.

If the Cemco handles are hard chrome, I'd probably go with those instead of the Troy.

Also, Ivanko has some pro-style dumbbells in their clearance section but they use the older discontinued skinnier handles and the basic cast plates.

Look up the diameter of the handles on the Troy and Cemco dumbbells as well. Personally, I prefer thicker handles. You might also look to see if the plates are machined on the surfaces if it matters to you. Ivanko's RM plates are machined on the surfaces. The R and R2B aren't (except the center hole).

If I could pick any dumbbells, I'd get the old solid steel dumbbells from Iron Grip... the old ones that were painted steel heads (not cast iron) and have the weights engraved. The solid steel dumbbells are my favorites.
    Last edited by morebarbell; 01-14-2014 at 04:08 PM.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Originally Posted by BIgOrange865 View Post
    No problem. Try contacting Allison foreman at York barbell and get a quote.

She has helped many people on these forums. If you search her name you can find her contact info...I'm being lazy.
    I will try and contact her when I find her info and get the chance.

Thanks,

Ray

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I will try and contact her when I find her info and get the chance.
    Allison Foreman, York Barbell, allisonforeman@aol.com, 614.284.6455 office

Originally Posted by daniel327 View Post
    Allison Foreman, York Barbell, allisonforeman@aol.com, 614.284.6455 office
    Thanks

KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KJ4GR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hmmmm16417 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    someone already beat me to the craigslist suggestion.

I'm a fruggle B* lol I would/could never spend $3k+ on dumbbells
    I picked up hex set from 10-60 lb and 300lb in olympic plates for $225 .... but I'm just starting out.

I did see a set about 2 hours from me when i was looking though. it was a commercial set (unsure of brand) from 10-110 in 5lb incriments with racks for $4k obo...... but like i said.....(see first statement hahaha)

Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    I'm not a big fan of either Troy or Cemco since both have pretty spotty (nonexistant?) customer service. But my experience with their products has been positive.

Links to the specs would be helpful instead of the photo links. Check if the Cemco's are hard chrome. It's not as rust resistant but it has a much better feel than the decorative chrome used by some. I think it may also be less likely to peel. I had an odd pair of Cemco solid steel dumbbells and I liked them a lot. Good knurl and thick handles too. BUT those were solid steel dumbbells and I don't know if the handles are the same.

I also used a full rack of Troy rubber encased pro-style dumbbells for over 3 years. I liked them overall but I didn't like the skinny handles with the jagged knurl and the slick chrome finish.

If the Cemco handles are hard chrome, I'd probably go with those instead of the Troy.

Also, Ivanko has some pro-style dumbbells in their clearance section but they use the older discontinued skinnier handles and the basic cast plates.

Look up the diameter of the handles on the Troy and Cemco dumbbells as well. Personally, I prefer thicker handles. You might also look to see if the plates are machined on the surfaces if it matters to you. Ivanko's RM plates are machined on the surfaces. The R and R2B aren't (except the center hole).

If I could pick any dumbbells, I'd get the old solid steel dumbbells from Iron Grip... the old ones that were painted steel heads (not cast iron) and have the weights engraved. The solid steel dumbbells are my favorites.
    I know next to nothing about dumbbells. The only thing I know for sure is that I hate hex db's. My first set was hex and they really turned me against the hex type.

I'm not sure which brand or which type (rubber, rubber encased or metal). As long as they are round, high quality and in my budget they are good to go in my book.

BTW, I have never used those platemates so I have to ask..........will a platemate (magnet) work with db's that are encased in rubber? It does not seem like it would due to the rubber unless the magnets are supper strong.

I am giving some thought about buying a 10 lb increment set and using platemates to save space/$$$ but I'm not sure how well that would work out....especially if I go with rubber encased db's. Plus, (I know it sounds weird) I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around looking at a rack with so few db's.

Just incase I decide to go with a 10 lb increment set..........is this what everyone means:

buy the 5's, 15's, 25's, 35's, 45's, 55's, 65's, 75's...................and use the 2 1/2 lb platemate on the 5 to make it a 10.........15 to make it the 20 and so on...

That would give me a set from 5 to 80's if I'm correct...........right? But I would only need 8 sets of db's plus four platemates......correct? If so, how much trouble is it to change them out? How much wider does it make the db's when using he platemates? Do the platemates get in the way of any training movements?

I'm not sure about the handle width but I think they are something like 32 or 33mm thick and 5.75" wide between plates (not positive though). I think that both the troy and cemco are in that size range. I may be wrong....lol.....would not be the first time.

I have no clue if they have hard chrome or decorative chrome. To be honest I didn't know there was a difference with db's handles in chrome. I will call and ask them in the morning.

I too would love to have a solid steel set of db's but I don't know if they even make them or how much they would be if they do. I prolly couldn't afford them if they do still make them.

BTW, a salesperson at progymsupply told me that pro style Cap rubber encased was the top of the line. He quoted me a price of $3,100.00 for 5 to 75 to my door.........is that a good deal or not?

Anyways, thanks for all the time you have put into helping make the right decision.

Ray

I will check out there site in the morning to see what they have to offer.

I hate standard hex. The 12 sided are hex (I think) but look like a middle-ground between hex and round. Is that correct?

Also, I wonder how those 12 sided troy compare to the troy pros and the like as far as being accurate and how much abuse they will take.

I really don't want to ever have to buy another set of db's again. I had to sell a fitness gear hex set (5 to 80's) a couple days ago because one of them broke and it turned me against all hex db's seeing how they were pretty much new and had never been abused at all.

Thanks,

Ray

Originally Posted by hmmmm16417 View Post
    someone already beat me to the craigslist suggestion.

I'm a fruggle B* lol I would/could never spend $3k+ on dumbbells
    I picked up hex set from 10-60 lb and 300lb in olympic plates for $225 .... but I'm just starting out.

I did see a set about 2 hours from me when i was looking though. it was a commercial set (unsure of brand) from 10-110 in 5lb incriments with racks for $4k obo...... but like i said.....(see first statement hahaha)
    I'm the same way (cheap) and for that reason I do not want to keep buying db's to replace broken ones year after year. I had a cheap 5 to 80 set and they broke the very first time I used them. I sold them two days later and decided to save money in the long run by spending more money for better quality up front.

I have looked at CL till I'm blue in the face. I know it takes time but time is something I may not have a huge amount of since I'm well into my sixties already. LOL.....we never know so I want to get started soon.

If I was 25 or 30 I would not be worried so much and would just lay back and wait till some poor s.o.b had a run of bad luck and jump in and take advantage of it...........lol....but not now. At my age you go down hill faster than you think. I just thought I was out of shape in my 40's and 50's.....it is a nightmare that I want to end.

Ray

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Most of the major manufacturers (and a few smaller companies as well) still make solid steel dumbbells. They're expensive, but if you're buying 10 lbs increments and platemates it might fit in your budget. I haven't done the math. It would probably be way out of budget if you buy 5 lbs increments... unless you buy used. They sometimes pop up on eBay and through used equipment dealers. The painted solid steel will be cheaper than the urethane encased solid steel. If I was dropping this kind of money on dumbbells, it would have to be solid steel. They are much more compact and more enjoyable to use.

http://www.irongrip.com/products/dumbbells_ig.asp

Iron Grip Solid Steel Dumbbells are built by welding a precision-machined steel handle into a drilled, chamfered and fully machined head. The heavy-duty construction will withstand years of heavy use, and the resulting compact design is easier and safer to handle than bulky, bolted together dumbbells. The Solid Steel line is available with a durable black finish, with easy-to-read weight markings permanently engraved and painted on each head.

Iron Grip Solid Steel dumbbells are available in 5-pound increments from 5 to 125 pounds, with 2.5-pound increments available from 5 to 52.5 pounds...
    Whether you buy rubber or painted iron pro-style dumbbells is largely a matter of personal preference. I would go with painted since they are less bulky than rubber encased. I also don't like the rubber smell.

No matter what type of dumbbell you choose, I suggest paying VERY close attention to the handles. (1) what diameter do you prefer? (2) what type of knurl do you prefer? (3) what type of finish do you prefer?

Try to demo some different types to see what works best for you.

Personally, I GREATLY prefer thicker handles on dumbbells. Around 30-32mm is great for me. Some may prefer skinnier handles... maybe 27mm. You might try some out to see what works best for you.

The specs for the dumbbells in this link show a medium knurl and 32mm thick handle and hard chrome finish. That's my personal preference. I wouldn't necessarily choose this particular brand and model. I'm just using it as an example. Other companies make similar products as well.

http://cemcostrength.com/products/pr...dumbbell-sets/

Pro-Style Dumbbells - Cast Iron (PSD-I)

Pro-Style Dumbbells come in either Virgin Rubber or Cast Iron with a Gray Hammertone finish. Featuring a 32mm, HARD Chrome Handle with a Medium Knurl. Assembled with Course Thread, Alloy Bolts and secured with locking compound. Cemco uses impact wrenches for assembly and are then torqued to 130 p.s.i. ...
    Last edited by morebarbell; 01-15-2014 at 06:21 AM.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Just incase I decide to go with a 10 lb increment set..........is this what everyone means:

buy the 5's, 15's, 25's, 35's, 45's, 55's, 65's, 75's...................and use the 2 1/2 lb platemate on the 5 to make it a 10.........15 to make it the 20 and so on...
    Yeah. Or do 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70.

You could even fill some of the gaps with weights that you use frequently. E.g. if you find yourself using 45s a lot, you could purchase a pair of 45s.

If you plan on using platemates, you'll have to be careful in your dumbbell selection. They work best on flat surfaces. They may not stick well to rubber coated surfaces.

With regard to width, etc, see my post about platemates that I made a while back. Here's one photo from that thread showing 2.5lb platemates attached to an Ironmaster adjustable dumbbell:

Jetigen made a platemate thread too. His platemates are newer (with a slightly different design), but I don't think he shows 2.5lb platemates.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    Most of the major manufacturers (and a few smaller companies as well) still make solid steel dumbbells. They're expensive, but if you're buying 10 lbs increments and platemates it might fit in your budget. I haven't done the math. It would probably be way out of budget if you buy 5 lbs increments... unless you buy used. They sometimes pop up on eBay and through used equipment dealers. The painted solid steel will be cheaper than the urethane encased solid steel. If I was dropping this kind of money on dumbbells, it would have to be solid steel. They are much more compact and more enjoyable to use.

http://www.irongrip.com/products/dumbbells_ig.asp

Whether you buy rubber or painted iron pro-style dumbbells is largely a matter of personal preference. I would go with painted since they are less bulky than rubber encased. I also don't like the rubber smell.

No matter what type of dumbbell you choose, I suggest paying VERY close attention to the handles. (1) what diameter do you prefer? (2) what type of knurl do you prefer? (3) what type of finish do you prefer?

Try to demo some different types to see what works best for you.

Personally, I GREATLY prefer thicker handles on dumbbells. Around 30-32mm is great for me. Some may prefer skinnier handles... maybe 27mm. You might try some out to see what works best for you.

The specs for the dumbbells in this link show a medium knurl and 32mm thick handle and hard chrome finish. That's my personal preference. I wouldn't necessarily choose this particular brand and model. I'm just using it as an example. Other companies make similar products as well.

http://cemcostrength.com/products/pr...dumbbell-sets/

I LOVE those Iron Grip db's. I called them today and got a quote of $5,900 shipped to my door for the 5 - 75 lb db's for the solid steel shown in your post..........OMG...those things are beautiful.

I also got a second quote for the 5, 10, 20, 30 etc...10 lb increment to 70 lbs. That quote was $2,980.00 shipped.

They are suuuupppper nice but they are $4.60 ish a lb plus shipping.............OUCH!!! They must have some gold added in ...lol.

I am going to contact cemco and see what kind of a deal they will offer.

BTW, I am also going to be searching (high and low) for new and used solid steel db's. ........YOU........have ruined me. I was not aware of db's of such purdyness/quality until you showed me those.

If I decide not to buy the iron grip I may hold off and wait till I can find some like them from another company/brand made like them...........again....those things are pretty as hell. Also, I agree with you on handle size and texture. I hate smooth handles almost as much as I do skinny handles.

If you run across a set of db's please let me know.

Ray

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Yeah. Or do 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70.

You could even fill some of the gaps with weights that you use frequently. E.g. if you find yourself using 45s a lot, you could purchase a pair of 45s.

If you plan on using platemates, you'll have to be careful in your dumbbell selection. They work best on flat surfaces. They may not stick well to rubber coated surfaces.

With regard to width, etc, see my post about platemates that I made a while back. Here's one photo from that thread showing 2.5lb platemates attached to an Ironmaster adjustable dumbbell:

Jetigen made a platemate thread too. His platemates are newer (with a slightly different design), but I don't think he shows 2.5lb platemates.
    I read over both threads on the platemates. I am not sure I would be comfortable changing small plates around like that on a regular basis. On the other hand, if it comes down to using platemates to get the quality I want vs. buying cheaper db's I will most likely be using platemates.

Thanks for the info,

Ray