andGO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Overcoming the weight room nerves

Hey Ladies,

So I am just getting back into my routine, well that's not true I've been at it for a few months now.

The biggest challenge I am having is the fact that I cannot work up the nerve to march into the co-ed section weight area and use the squat rack. To avoid this I have been squatting with the 60 pound preset weight bar thing or found myself trying to use the smith machine as an alternative which I definitely don't prefer.

I cannot get over idea of walking into that area with all these super fit men and that I might have areas of improvement on my form or I may be judged in other ways. SUPER uncomfortable.

But I really want to see results - what should I do?! How do I over come this.

Or alternatively is the smith machine a good alternative? Will I see similar results using it? Thanks I know the obvious answer is to work past this mindset

hasinutella will become famous soon enough. (+50) hasinutella will become famous soon enough. (+50) hasinutella will become famous soon enough. (+50) hasinutella will become famous soon enough. (+50) hasinutella will become famous soon enough. (+50) hasinutella will become famous soon enough. (+50) hasinutella will become famous soon enough. (+50) hasinutella will become famous soon enough. (+50) hasinutella will become famous soon enough. (+50) hasinutella will become famous soon enough. (+50) hasinutella will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by andGO View Post
    Hey Ladies,

So I am just getting back into my routine, well that's not true I've been at it for a few months now.

The biggest challenge I am having is the fact that I cannot work up the nerve to march into the co-ed section weight area and use the squat rack. To avoid this I have been squatting with the 60 pound preset weight bar thing or found myself trying to use the smith machine as an alternative which I definitely don't prefer.

I cannot get over idea of walking into that area with all these super fit men and that I might have areas of improvement on my form or I may be judged in other ways. SUPER uncomfortable.

But I really want to see results - what should I do?! How do I over come this.

Or alternatively is the smith machine a good alternative? Will I see similar results using it? Thanks I know the obvious answer is to work past this mindset
    I used to feel the same way But you have to remember that everyone's too busy caring on their form that they wouldn't notice your form, so you shouldn't worry so much. And everyone starts somewhere, I'm pretty sure we are all just overthinking! I was new to my gym and what I did was, I get a session of personal training for her to check my form and taught me how to use the equipments. Or bring a friend so you wouldn't feel as conscious!

I personally prefer the squat rack though.

macgem is just really nice. (+1000) macgem is just really nice. (+1000) macgem is just really nice. (+1000) macgem is just really nice. (+1000) macgem is just really nice. (+1000) macgem is just really nice. (+1000) macgem is just really nice. (+1000) macgem is just really nice. (+1000) macgem is just really nice. (+1000) macgem is just really nice. (+1000) macgem is just really nice. (+1000)
    It takes time getting used to being in any new environment, and the gym is really no different so it's natural to feel a bit worried or uncomfortable. Often the best (but scariest) way to overcome these things is to force yourself into the uncomfortable surroundings, you soon realise that everyone is in their own little world and are likely not paying any attention to what you or anyone else is doing!

Try to pluck up the courage to familiarise yourself with the squat rack, and if you are feeling brave enough go ahead and squat with the barbell alone - it will help you build confidence in the area, and it's a bit lighter than 60lbs so you'll have no trouble with it!

Expanse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Expanse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Expanse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Expanse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Expanse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Expanse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Expanse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Expanse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Expanse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Expanse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Expanse will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As has been said, everyone is most likely staring themselves down. Everyone has the same insecurities. This is your life, your story. Go and write it how you see fit. Good luck!

itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    squat rack > smith machine

Originally Posted by andGO View Post
    I can assure you that not every guy in the weight room is super fit, nor are they all doing exercises with perfect form. You'll find them to be young, old, fit, out of shape, knowledgeable, clueless, helpful, ambivalent... you get the idea. It's going to be a little bit of everything on that side of the gym (just like in the rest of the gym!), so you'll fit right in. Honestly, most guys won't care that you're over there. If you're really the only woman in the weight room, a few might think it's interesting. And a few might think it's cool, as in "wow, I wish I could get my girlfriend to work out in here with me".

Just go in and do what you need to do.

Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What is the worst case scenario?

That somebody watches you and judges you...maybe they even laugh at you with their friends. Trust me, I've seen the threads on this board...I've seen pics and videos people have posted of things they find funny at the gym. People in their attempt to be funny can be very cruel and judgmental. That is the world we live in. It doesn't matter whether you are in the gym, the grocery store or on the beach. Some people are mean, especially when they are in a group of their peers that promotes that type of behavior. Unfortunately, some people will never grow out of that high school mentality.

But why are you going to the gym?

You aren't going there to impress them (and you probably never will). You are going there for you, so don't let these people bully you into staying out of those sections. If they judge you or laugh at you...that speaks more about them, not you. They are scum which makes their opinion of you unimportant cause they will always find someone to make fun of cause they feel bad about themselves. Don't give them any power over your life.
    Workout Log / Chat thread...Embrace the Dragon: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169711903

"If you truly seek understanding, then first, empty your cup!" – Unknown

*** Squat Quitter Crew ***
    *** Dragon Flags Crew ***

Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I trained early morning when it was quiet, I felt more comfortable that way. The thing is though as I've got more experienced my confidence has grown. I need to train in the evening now it doesn't a bother me anymore. Sure people are curious and sometimes it feels a bit weird to be the female minority... but I now wont let that get in the way of my workouts. I read a quote someone else on this forum that said something along the lines of you don't conquer your fears by avoiding them... you conquer your fears by meeting them head on and growing as an individual. Keep training and with experience your fears will go.

Euclidus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euclidus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euclidus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euclidus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euclidus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euclidus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euclidus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euclidus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euclidus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euclidus is on a distinguished road. (+10) Euclidus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My fiance is this big burly steelworker who is very strong and in good shape (well except for his little beer belly ) and the first time I tried to get him to go to the gym with me he majorly balked at the idea. He had always worked out at home. He told me that he hates going to the gym because he feels totally self-conscious and thinks that everyone there is bigger than him/in better shape/ judging him, etc. He is definitely *not* someone you would look at and think had any gym anxiety! My point is that everyone has some kind of battle they're fighting. You aren't alone when you go to the gym and feel anxious about it and/or like other people are watching you. Just focus on why you're there and think about how awesome it's going to feel when you can walk over to the squat racks like it's nothing. The first step is the biggest and hardest to take!

When you start thinking things like "oh my god I can't go over there, they're all going to stare at me, I won't do it right," etc, work on replacing those thoughts with more positive and confident ones like "so what if they all stare? What is the worst that could happen, a few tools with nothing better to do than obsess about what other people are doing at the gym get a few minutes of entertainment? I'm glad I will never be that petty. I'm working on my goals and maybe other women who were scared to come over here will feel more comfortable now."

You got this! Like Expanse said, it's your story!

PumkinPie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PumkinPie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PumkinPie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PumkinPie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PumkinPie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PumkinPie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PumkinPie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PumkinPie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PumkinPie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PumkinPie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PumkinPie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Remember that fitness is you vs yourself. No one likes working out next to people who are more fit or lifting more or running faster, but there will ALWAYS be someone stronger or faster. Forget about them. Concentrate on beating what you did last time.

The gym is no different than life in general though. People are concerned with you far less than you think they are. Most people ignore everyone around them and focus on their own little world.
    libs gonna lib

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This question has never been asked before in this forum.
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

KDelRio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KDelRio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KDelRio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KDelRio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KDelRio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KDelRio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KDelRio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KDelRio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KDelRio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KDelRio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KDelRio is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I used to feel that way. Put your headphones in with your favorite music and hone in on yourself. I used to do a little research online about proper form and went into the gym focused on what i learned. In time you will get used to it and the more in shape you become week by week your confidence will grow!
    Everything you've ever wanted, is on the other side of fear.

PR:
    Squat 205
    Bench 130
    Deadlift 245

jwym23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwym23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwym23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwym23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwym23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwym23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwym23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwym23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwym23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwym23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwym23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Say f*** it and go to the squat rack and bang it out. Anyone who is staring or thinking its funny isn't worth your time. If they have time to stare and judge you, that means they aren't working hard and have nothing on you. I started working out about 2 months ago. Although I have some decent strength, I've got some extra fat that needs to be cut out too. It was hard for me to get in there and work in with some of these big guys at the start. Then I realized why I was there. To make myself better, not match up with some of these guys that have been doing it for 10 years.

So, now that the little rant there is finished ill sum it up. Have confidence in yourself, do not worry about what the other members are doing, they don't mean S*** to you. Remember why you are there!

Goodluck and happy squatting.

1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I always hear women talk about this, but I can't help but think it's harder for the 5'8 135lb guy in the weight room. We I see a guy struggling to bench 100lbs next to the guy that's benching 250lbs, I think he's got guts.
    Peolpe my look, but no one really cares what your doing.

liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000) liuzhoudragon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Step 1: Insert Headphones
    Step 2: Apply mean mug and get beast mode frame of mind
    Step 3: ??????????????
    Step 4. Gains

Step 3 is squat like a mofo.

most people in the gym don't care about anyone else in the gym good or bad.

Bad news though is that not only will you be judged by someone, sometime, but that you will always be judged in every situation by someone in someway every single day for the rest of your life.

Good news there is a 99.9% it is irrelevant

Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I say go out there and do the most ridiculous exercise you can possibly think of in the squat rack that will make sure everyone is looking at you. That way you don't have to worry about them looking at you cause you will know they are and you can get all those nerves out of the way.

My recommendation would be to put the bar at the top rung of the squat rack and start doing upside down crunches. If that doesn't make people bertstare you...I don't know what will.

Workout Log / Chat thread...Embrace the Dragon: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169711903

CaliSun is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliSun is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliSun is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliSun is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliSun is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliSun is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliSun is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliSun is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliSun is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliSun is a name known to all. (+5000) CaliSun is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KDelRio View Post
    I used to feel that way. Put your headphones in with your favorite music and hone in on yourself. I used to do a little research online about proper form and went into the gym focused on what i learned. In time you will get used to it and the more in shape you become week by week your confidence will grow!
    ^^^this

Cert. Athletic Trainer DPSportsBabe's Avatar
    DPSportsBabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DPSportsBabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DPSportsBabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DPSportsBabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DPSportsBabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DPSportsBabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DPSportsBabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DPSportsBabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DPSportsBabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DPSportsBabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DPSportsBabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you are nervous, you can find a workout partner who will encourage you otherwise I recommend putting your headphones in, blast some awesome music, and watch yourself. Anybody who stares at other people who lift are usually jealous or insecure. Don't let the opinion of anyone else get you down.
    Megan Beck, MS, ATC, PES, NASE

Originally Posted by ***portsBabe View Post
    If you are nervous, you can find a workout partner who will encourage you otherwise I recommend putting your headphones in, blast some awesome music, and watch yourself. Anybody who stares at other people who lift are usually jealous or insecure. Don't let the opinion of anyone else get you down.
    I wouldn't say that. I will sometimes stare at other people while they are lifting. It certainly isn't because I'm jealous or insecure...it is cause I am curious. I get a lot of great ideas by seeing what others are doing in the gym.

But definitely agree about not letting anyone else (or their opinion) get you down. Only opinion that matters is your own.

Murder Beats Not People recreateme's Avatar
    recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000) recreateme is just really nice. (+1000)
    As a dude who works out in the weight room of my gym i can assure you I am not super fit, nor do I always lift with proper form, and I have been hitting the gym regularly for years. I am usually to concerned with my own lifts that i rarely care about other peoples, and if i do watch someone lift its only because i know they have good form and i want to learn as much as i can about how they do it.

You sound like you have been squating for a while now (just not in a rack), so you probably have fairly good form already, you just need to get in there and do it! When I do something new that I am unsure of i like to go at least once during off peak hours, like later at night or early morning and make that my first attempt so i can get used to the area and dial in. After that you should be fine, if you get really worried just wear grey, that will help you blend in with the walls and people are less likely to notice you lol

BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStewTheJew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Look at it this way

If your form is borderline decent at best it's better then 90% of people in there, and wayyyy better than everyone who doesn't even squat ...

Coreyoki is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coreyoki is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coreyoki is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coreyoki is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coreyoki is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coreyoki is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coreyoki is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coreyoki is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coreyoki is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coreyoki is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coreyoki is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    They were all you once upon a time, they might even be able to help you!

JustKitten is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustKitten is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustKitten is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustKitten is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustKitten is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustKitten is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustKitten is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustKitten is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustKitten is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustKitten is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustKitten is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Artemis00 View Post
    I wouldn't say that. I will sometimes stare at other people while they are lifting. It certainly isn't because I'm jealous or insecure...it is cause I am curious. I get a lot of great ideas by seeing what others are doing in the gym.

But definitely agree about not letting anyone else (or their opinion) get you down. Only opinion that matters is your own.
    Agreed, I stare sometimes to get new ideas. Whenever another woman is in the free weight section with me I look a little more because it is so awesome to see her do her thing. My vision is pretty bad though so I never notice if people see me staring... so blissful ahha