BarryJr77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question 35 with shoulder injury

I'm 35 and just started going back to the gym after 12 years. I've been pushing myself a little hard and recently notice some sharp pain in my shoulder. I was wondering how long I should take off from lifting and is there anything I can take to help speed up the healing process. Thanks

bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BarryJr77 View Post
    I'm 35 and just started going back to the gym after 12 years. I've been pushing myself a little hard and recently notice some sharp pain in my shoulder. I was wondering how long I should take off from lifting and is there anything I can take to help speed up the healing process. Thanks
    I had a horrible grinding in my shoulders and collarbone when I first started. The more my shoulders and upper back strengthened, the better it seem to get. Today, I have some pain issues, but its relatively minor compared to what it was a couple of years ago. I would focus on training those body parts a bit more and with some patience, it should help in supporting the growth and strength later.

Also, if it hurts to go heavier, it probably is too heavy. Your supportive muscles aren't ready to take the pressure off your joints.
    Last edited by bradandblake; 01-07-2014 at 10:41 AM.

j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) j1akey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by BarryJr77 View Post
    I deal with fairly consistent shoulder pain of varying levels but lately I've managed to make it better by making sure I warm up enough and do my mobility exercises. Typically my hurt comes from the bicep tendon where it links up to the shoulder but depending on what the problem actually it is it might be just a matter of warming up properly and making sure everything is nice and loose before you start lifting.
    "When you fall into a pit, you either die or get out."

FCB02062 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FCB02062 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FCB02062 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FCB02062 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FCB02062 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FCB02062 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FCB02062 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FCB02062 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FCB02062 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FCB02062 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FCB02062 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would add do alot of warming up and stretches for the shoulders. I used to half a$$ my stretching but hurt my shoulder a month ago to the point I couldn't lift anything. Took a week off from everything, saw a dr, had mri, found out had RC (teres minor) strain. After a week of icing, etc., started with range of motion and stretching. Now I've added the 2 1/2 plates to my range of motion work. It has helped me, maybe it can help you...

this one works well, and I also swing my arm back & forth and side to side from this position

this one really stretches the RC and you can feel it in your back
    hope this helps

BarryJr77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks

RAYMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAYMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAYMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAYMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAYMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAYMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAYMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAYMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAYMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAYMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAYMAN91 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Shoulder/Arm Fix

I had shoulder pain ran down the outside of my upper arm. Felt like a pinching/ numbness. Sometimes I couldn't press more than 50% of my Max due to this. After consulting a trainer she suggested I no longer go too far negative on my bench presses. Now I stop when my arms and back make one straight line on the descent.

She also suggested not rolling the shoulders forward when doing any kind of curling. Keeping the chest open and shoulders straight.

I've had great results no more pain and I can always push it hard.
    Manimal

"IF YOU PUT LIMITS ON EVERYTHING YOU DO, PHYSICAL OR ANYTHING ELSE, IT WILL SPREAD INTO YOUR WORK AND YOUR LIFE, THERE ARE NO LIMITS. THERE ARE ONLY PLATEAUS AND YOU MUST NOT STAY THERE, YOU MUST GO BEYOND THEM"-Bruce Lee

"If GOD made it HE meant it for nutrition- If man made it he meant if for profit - What will you eat?"-Ray K