Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Trouble Sleeping

Not sure if this is in the right section or not but I shall continue. As the title says I'm having trouble sleeping, have done for a long time now. My fitness regime is in place and going good my diet has had a revamp but I'm not sleeping enough and that's effecting me in the early part of the morning nearly up until lunch time as I don't have the drive to do much.

Does anyone have any tips on getting more than just a few hours kip? Some herbal remedies or anything really. Thanks!
    Getting the body I want, one step at a time.

Giggles03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Giggles03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Giggles03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Giggles03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Giggles03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Giggles03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Giggles03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Giggles03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Giggles03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Giggles03 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Giggles03 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do you have trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or both?

I often struggle with falling asleep. The biggest thing that I've found to help is sticking to a strict sleep schedule, going to bed and waking up at the same time, including the weekends! I've also found that having a bedtime routine helps, similar to what you would do for a child. About an hour before I plan on falling asleep I turn off all electronics, take a shower, read for 20-30 minutes (in a chair, not bed), and then go to bed.

My boyfriend has a hard time staying asleep. For him a white noise machine really helps. We also have a memory foam bed and don't share sheets because the slightest movement can wake him up. He has experimented with some homeopathic sleeping aids, but hasn't found anything that really helped all that much.

Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kohaku is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's getting to sleep, once I am asleep it's fine! Creating a routine wouldn't be hard during the week but at the weekend it would be a little hectic as I work until late and that throws me off I have to admit.

Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50) Running2live will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've struggled with insomnia for years. Staying and falling asleep and I am finally on the upside. There were times I couldn't sleep more than 45 minutes. I've tried everything and several different medications non Rx and Rx. Klonapin is the only thing that has worked for me and I am now tapering off of it after several months and sleeping better.

Here are the best tips I have found: a schedule of sleep. I always get up by 6 AM no matter what. (Usually earlier, but on my days I don't have to be at work, I try to be up at 6 at the latest). No naps. Eat a healthy, clean diet. No caffeine after noon and only 12-24 oz of coffee total a day. Clean sheets. Clean body. Cool room. White noise, usually a fan even if its not blowing on me. The biggest thing that has helped me are relaxation techniques. If you have iTunes check out "Relaxation Body Scan and guided Imagery". It's weird at first to get use to, but really helps. Make lists during the day and don't procrastinate things. Whether you realize it consciously or not, these things do and will effect you. Also, don't tell yourself things that are negative about sleep...think positively about falling asleep instead of "oh great, another sleepless night..wonder how late I'll be up."

Don't hesitate to get help from a doctor. Sleep is really important. I went a bit crazy for a few months and made decisions I wish I wouldn't have because of anxiety from lack of sleep. Good luck.
    Check out my blog:

http://findingtruth1.blogspot.com/

I write about life, nutrition, exercise, and my own journey to health including personal motivation, inspiration, and challenges I've been able to overcome.

I don't do excuses. Press on!

Thanks for the advice, I might have to go to the doctors and see if he can help me in any way. I have to wake up early in order to take care of the dog so I should try staying awake the entire day, try and run my energy levels down to a point I really want to sleep. Hopefully my diet change and exercise/training routine will also help over the coming weeks!

Thanks!

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I too find it hard to make the transition from weekend sleep to weekday/workday sleep. It’s nice to sleep in when we have time off…nice to stay up a little later than the workweek, say if we are meeting up with friends, etc. But, most every article I’ve read with respect to sleep, suggests that a person stay regular with their sleeping schedule. That means, I should awaken at 6am…during my days off. Ouch. So, like you…you need to probably ‘’keep yourself awake’’ on your days off. But, that is supposedly a huge helper in getting consistent, restful sleep. Not only do we lack mental clarity, etc from lack of sleep…it can hurt exercise/muscle recovery as well, so…it’s essential to finding the right balance. I’m not a fan of melatonin tabs, as they cause headaches for me the day after…but, they can be helpful for temporary sleep problems.

Hope u find what works for you.

edit: I just noticed Running2Live's advice. Sorry for the duplication. lol
    Last edited by whatevergirl; 01-07-2014 at 11:16 AM.

AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000)
    Since getting to sleep is your problem, you could try popping a few Benadryl an hour before you go to bed. It only works as a mild sedative for a few days but that might be enough to start getting into a rhythm.
    forum rule
    Discussion of illegal, banned, or controlled substances. This includes but is not limited to: steroids, FDA banned substances, pro-hormones, illegal drugs (United States laws apply), and prescription drugs. If it isn’t a product currently sold on Bodybuilding.com take caution in discussing it.

tvist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tvist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tvist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tvist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tvist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tvist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tvist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tvist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tvist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tvist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tvist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have trouble sleeping, I know how horrible it can be. I feel very exhausted but yet still can't get a good sleep. I'm plagued by nightmares and the bed and pillow are uncomfortable for me. What's weird is that even my teeth feel uncomfortable when I'm lying on my side, if that even makes any sense lol. My teeth sort of press together and it's so uncomfortable and annoying.

5-HTP helps with sleep but it gives me dry eyes. Is background noise a problem? I bought these wax earplugs and they're like God's gift to me -- everything is blocked out. Sometimes even if everything is quiet around you you'll be surprised how much quieter it can get. I only notice how noisy city life is when there's a power cut and it gets truly silent.

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I wear ear plugs, as I don't like even the whirring of a ceiling fan. Nice to see I'm not alone. You can still hear your alarm in the morning, etc...which is cool. I've read articles on sleep that "if" a person is getting consistent, restful sleep, he/she won't require an alarm clock at all; they'll wake up naturally at the same time, on average.
    I recently took a vacation for the holidays and my sleep was awesome. I just think my mind was relaxed away from work.

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You could try reviewing your bedtime routine. What you do before you go to sleep is very important because though your body may be tired, you still have to calm your mind. For some people engaging in activities such as television or computer stimulates their brain as opposed to relaxes it, I realize however that this does not hold true for everyone. See what works best for you. Another thing you could try is chamomile tea. Chamomile tea is a tea that is supposed to induce relaxation and prepare you for sleep. I have used it personally and I like it. Sleep music is also something to consider here. After my grandfather passed away I started having trouble sleeping through the night. I would fall asleep then wake up and not be able to fall back to sleep. I play a CD when I go to bed titled Delta Sync Sleep System, it may be something to look into. While we are on the topic of utilizing noise to assist with sleep, you could also look into a sound machine. They sell machines that offer a variety of sounds such as rain, the ocean, rainforest, etc. and for some people it helps. You could also try melatonin. Melatonin is a natural supplement. Your body itself produces melatonin.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lunesta has been a God-send for me. I've been on it 6 yrs and it still works.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Currently: Transforming missbellejane's Avatar
    missbellejane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) missbellejane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) missbellejane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) missbellejane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) missbellejane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) missbellejane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) missbellejane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) missbellejane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) missbellejane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) missbellejane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) missbellejane has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I can fall asleep relatively easily. My problem is that I wake up repeatedly throughout the night. Sometimes to use the bathroom, other times just because I wake up. Mostly I'm not awake for more than half an hour or so but it means that I very rarely get a full night of uninterrupted sleep.
    Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning.
    - Thomas Jefferson