Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Would I have a hard time getting work as a P.T. With felonies?

Have been considering getting NASM certified and becoming a personal trainer while I go through college. The only problem is I have several felonies on my record and I am on parole until June 2016. I don't want to spend the money if I won't be able to work anywhere. Anybody have any insight on this?

mdustinfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) mdustinfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) mdustinfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) mdustinfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) mdustinfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) mdustinfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) mdustinfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) mdustinfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) mdustinfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) mdustinfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) mdustinfitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    At my last gym one of our top-selling trainers had a few felonies on his record. Just fully disclose it to the hiring manager/HR up front. It may be an issue with some gyms, but it won't keep you out of all gyms.

Plus, I'm pretty sure some companies get a tax break for hiring felons. Depending on what it is, I'm sure there will be hiring managers and fitness directors who won't have any issues with it and give you a job. Just work hard and show them you are good, and it shouldn't be an issue.
    BS in Exercise Science
    NASM-CPT
    NASM-CES

"The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary."

Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vertabrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah thanks man. I would definitely be honest up front. Also getting tax breaks is true as far as I know.

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I suppose it depends on the felonies. Anything in relation to fraud/forgery/embezzlement might be an issue at places where you are involved in dealing with people's personal information. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. You are 23 - young, still in college, you have a lot to lose being on parole obviously - I think IF it has to be disclosed (have you ever been convicted blah blah) just be upfront about that and let them know you are ready to change your life. Some people will be very understanding.

And just IMO, I have never been legal trouble, but I spent many years working in policing - and there are actually quite a few people with criminal records working at gyms/in fitness, from what I found during background checks It seems to be one of those professions where people go when they decide to clean up their life in general. I don't think you should have too much trouble, but then again, I don't know Texas. Good luck!

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Another one that sticks out to me is drug trafficking. You might have some issues if this is your record, because some gyms (usually smaller, independent BB-style ones) have been or under investigation for illegal steroid sales. You would be much better off avoiding these because even if you stay out of trouble, you run the risk of being associated to things that can violate your parole. Larger chain gyms would be wiser in that sense, but of course, tend to run stricter background checks. Some of course, don't at all.

Thanks this is want I was hoping to hear but I honestly expected to hear the opposite. I'm pretty sure I am going to go for it.

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Vertabrah View Post
    Have been considering getting NASM certified and becoming a personal trainer while I go through college. The only problem is I have several felonies on my record and I am on parole until June 2016. I don't want to spend the money if I won't be able to work anywhere. Anybody have any insight on this?
    please stay out of the training business. We already have too many criminals in the industry

phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BC02 View Post
    please stay out of the training business. We already have too many criminals in the industry
    How does it feel? Never making any mistakes in life I mean.
    Only a life lived for others, is a life worthwhile.

Originally Posted by BC02 View Post
    Yeah that's pretty narrow minded of you. I mean you don't even know why I got incarcerated. Lol at negging me because I want to better my life.

rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you will have a hard time going anywhere for anything. just have to roll a lot of dice and have alot of patience.

rhetoric: why would any reputable co. want to put a questionable character with their customers, and in the fitness industries case, people in their most vulnerable state.

value add. thats why.

good grammar: the difference between knowing your s*** and knowing you're s***

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Yeah that's pretty narrow minded of you. I mean you don't even know why I got incarcerated. Lol at negging me because I want to better my life.
    To be fair, you admitted multiple felonies and are on parole for at least 3 years. That likely means you did some pretty serious stuff. Everyone deserves a second chance but if I had a guy apply and found this out, I wouldn't hire them. No offense, but there is a difference between a minor drug charge and multiple felony convictions. Also, it would depend if you had committed them years ago or just got out of jail. I'm all for second chances, but it would be a tough call honestly and if it was between hiring you and someone else without that, someone else would get it every time.

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Too many trainers have a tough enough job getting hired who go to school and ontop of that get a cscs, for some felon to deserve a training job over them.

Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    To be fair, you admitted multiple felonies and are on parole for at least 3 years. That likely means you did some pretty serious stuff. Everyone deserves a second chance but if I had a guy apply and found this out, I wouldn't hire them. No offense, but there is a difference between a minor drug charge and multiple felony convictions. Also, it would depend if you had committed them years ago or just got out of jail. I'm all for second chances, but it would be a tough call honestly and if it was between hiring you and someone else without that, someone else would get it every time.
    this

ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If I were hiring, I would never hire you. Too many other trainers available. There may also be an issue of insurability.
    NASM-CPT

amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amoroque has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think you could do it OP depending on what type of crimes you were convicted of.

Thanks for the honest answers everyone. I still think I am going to get certified so I can have something to fall back on if I need it down the line. It probably would be hard seeing as how I haven't been out that long. Hopefully it will get easier as time goes on. I was convicted 3 years ago but still. Worst case sceniro I learn something and get certified but can't do anything with it. I'm will to take a chance. Btw my crimes are not heinous or violent or sex related but still serious enough to send me to prison.
    Anyways, thanks again everyone.

LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaudyBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You proly could but I'd suggest getting a different cert than NASM... Some gyms don't except that cert for their pts since its pretty much a take home test haha... Always good to have more options man
    let them say i lived in the time of zyzz.
    *always picks 7 crew*
    *always picks 3 when 7s not a choice crew*
    *he man Rudyrude haters crew*
    *Muay Thai & BJJ crew*
    Brb bulking

Trollin4Tuna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah thanks man. I would definitely be honest up front. Also getting tax breaks is true as far as I know.
    Tax credits are for hiring a felon who was convicted or released within one year. One day longer and no credit. Also, the WOTC has not been extended for 2014. It may be but who knows in this political climate.

triutcorn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There are more felons working in this industry than you might know. Felons always gravitate toward industries which are unregulated, require no college training of any kind and where the people in charge of the business are continually desperate for new blood.

Registered User FitnessMinistry's Avatar
    FitnessMinistry is not very well liked. (-100) FitnessMinistry is not very well liked. (-100) FitnessMinistry is not very well liked. (-100) FitnessMinistry is not very well liked. (-100) FitnessMinistry is not very well liked. (-100) FitnessMinistry is not very well liked. (-100) FitnessMinistry is not very well liked. (-100) FitnessMinistry is not very well liked. (-100) FitnessMinistry is not very well liked. (-100) FitnessMinistry is not very well liked. (-100) FitnessMinistry is not very well liked. (-100)

Not Necessarily

Depends on what they are. I would stay away from big box gyms and go the private route. I would also address it in your interview but talk more about how it has changed you and your focus to be successful.

I think there is a book out that talks about this exact thing. I forget the name but it is by the guy that wrote; "Absession...America's Guide to Ultimate 6 pack Abs". Hope this helps

jshort145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jshort145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jshort145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jshort145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jshort145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    depends on the felonies, maybe clubs wouldn't want to hire you but as long as your honest and are making a step in the right direction I wouldn't see why not. I've seen pts who have had BAC .18 and evaded the cops for 15 miles yet they are working at a gym right now.
    International Sports and Science Association, Certified Fitness Trainer, Specialist in Strength and Conditioning
    Anytime Fitness Stevens Point
    Wrestling/Throws Collegiate Athlete

Check out my blog for more!

http://riseathletics.weebly.com/blog.html