beeergut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tips on playing full court basketball

I recently started to play ball with a consistent group of guys who have developed good chemistry and actually play the game instead of just doing fast-breaks and chucking 3 points, so I could really use some tips on playing decent 5 on 5 full court basketball. I can play pretty well in half court games and 21, but in full court games I fall flat on my face (no not literally). I never played any team ball growing up so I know that lacking IQ is a big part of it.

I grew up playing halfcourt, mostly 3v3 or smaller games. I'm about 6', a solid defender, quick to the basket, but with an inconsistent jump shot, so up until now I've relied on my speed and size to get into the paint, which has worked well for me in half court situations where I'm confident.

1. First thing's first. I've never had that good of an offensive IQ so most times I don't know what to do. This is my biggest problem. Sometimes I set a pick and roll or a back screen for a teammate, but that's all I really do since my offensive playbook is limited. I see teammates running all over the place, making good cuts, getting open for a pass and making plays. I try to picture where I should go to make a cut or to get myself open, but I can't seem to know where to go at what time, so I end up running around and just tiring myself out without doing any good. Occasionally I've even run into the driving lane of my teammate because I'm running around trying to do something instead of just standing still.

When I bring the ball down the court myself, again my mind draws a blank. I look around for a cutter, but usually nothing happens and people are just looking at me waiting for me to make a move. I don't know what to do, so I end up doing something to make myself look decent with no intention of shooting, hopefully draw a defender, then pass to an open man.

2. Lots of times I still don't see the first or second pass that's the better option. Playing half court games and fewer teammate options, I've developed a bad habit of playing with a one tracked mind. Lately I've tried to take a step out of the box and try to see the bigger picture, worked on my court vision, and things have improved but it's still a chore for me to spot these things sometimes. Even if I'm not trying to make any moves and I'm just looking around, I often times miss a good pass I could've made to an open teammate.

3. I'm quick enough to make my own plays. But when there are 10 people on the court, the lanes that would normally be open are crowded, or I just don't see openings that could be there, so I can't do the usual moves and drive to the basket. With my #1 go-to option gone my mind draws a blank and I lose my confidence along with my usual explosiveness that I've relied on. I end up passing the ball, doing a half-assed drive or jacking up an open shot every once in a while, that's about it. The only time I get to the basket is if there is a HUGE opening, I'm talking red sea. I obviously need to work on getting a better shot and look for a pass, but what else can I do to adjust my drive and more effectively spot openings? There's a guy who's similar sized as me and plays with the same style, but he still manages to get to the rim through multiple defenders.

Moral of the story is IQ trumps all. Any advice from you ballers would me greatly appreciated.

anonlifter is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) anonlifter is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) anonlifter is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) anonlifter is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) anonlifter is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) anonlifter is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) anonlifter is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) anonlifter is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) anonlifter is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) anonlifter is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) anonlifter is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    gotta get hops kid

beeergut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by anonlifter View Post
    gotta get hops kid
    No...that's not it