Thread: Which bar?

K6P6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Which bar?

Hi, I have a home gym and I want to buy a good bar. So I think that the Eleiko's bars is a good choice. But can anyone help to choose and recommend the right bar? I don't want to waste lots of money for the wrong bar.

Mostly I do squats, bench presses and deadlifts with it, but sometimes I also do weight lifting. I have thought that the Sport bar or the power lift bar would be good for me.

Thanks!

Can't break what's broken Synthetickiller's Avatar
    Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by K6P6 View Post
    Hi, I have a home gym and I want to buy a good bar. So I think that the Eleiko's bars is a good choice. But can anyone help to choose and recommend the right bar? I don't want to waste lots of money for the wrong bar.

Mostly I do squats, bench presses and deadlifts with it, but sometimes I also do weight lifting. I have thought that the Sport bar or the power lift bar would be good for me.

Thanks!
    What's your budget? Eleiko bars are around the $1k mark, eh? $900+?

I think it depends on the type of bar you want. Ivanko makes bars that have more whip (I've used these before with heavy weight just fine). You can get a texas power bar if you want something more rigid.
    Crews: Ivanko Barbell Crew #52, York Barbell Club #95, Equipment Crew #59
    Lifts no one cares about:
    SQ: 619x1 (suit bottoms, no belt) / 507x1 (raw, no belt)
    BP: 392x1 (pause bench, raw)
    DL: 500x1 (suit bottoms, no belt)

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller View Post
    What's your budget? Eleiko bars are around the $1k mark, eh? $900+?

I think it depends on the type of bar you want. Ivanko makes bars that have more whip (I've used these before with heavy weight just fine). You can get a texas power bar if you want something more rigid.
    Thanks for your response! The Eleiko bars cost something like that. Maybe even little bit more ( at least in here, Europe.) I want to invest for good bar, so I don't have budget.But I do not want to necessarily buy the most expensive bar.

ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for your response! The Eleiko bars cost something like that. Maybe even little bit more ( at least in here, Europe.) I want to invest for good bar, so I don't have budget.But I do not want to necessarily buy the most expensive bar.
    It all really depends on the usage of the bar. For an all-round bar you'll be better of with the sports bar with Eleiko. Rogue has a great variety of bars as well, but the Europe store doesn't carry all the models.

For clean&jerks or snatches, you'll want to consider bumper plates as well. If you drop the bar with normal plates, your floor and the bar+plates will be ruined in a very short time.

You can also check on strengtshop (english or german), they have some great bars at a very reasonable price.

But I would first find out what you want to use the bar for. €1000 for a bar is a lot money if you're rarely going to use it for what it is designed. A cheaper rogue/strengthshop might also get the job done.

CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I am not sure what options you have overseas, since I have heard that a lot of the US made bars we like here are quite expensive there which makes the price of the "more expensive" bars probably pretty equal and on similar playing field. The top bars (used in competition) are generally Eleiko, Ivanko, Werksan, Uesaka. There maybe more, but I think those would be the most common names that would come to mind. They each have their own qualities (amount of whip, stiffness, size, etc.). Some may prefer the eleiko more for Olympic lifting than powerlifting, however that is always up to debate. These bars are all $900+ in the US.

The other bars that can be good to use and that don't break the bank (at least in the US) are many. The Texas Power Bar by (caps and troy) was already mentioned. The ohio and rogue bar by rogue fitness. The westside power bar by rogue fitness. The OB20KG by ivanko etc. These bars run pretty much $250 to $600 here in the US. However, you can't go wrong with any of these bars or other bars that are in this caliber.

Due to the shipping and importing to where you are located, if these mid grade bars come out to be almost the same cost as the elite bars, then you should probably just get one of the elite bars. However the best thing for you to do is to see if
    you can see the bars in person if possible. no matter the reputation of the bar, it does not fit everyone. you may not like the knurling, thickness, whip or lack of, center knurling etc. It really depends on what you want to focus on (power lifting vs. Olympic lifting).

If you are really into lifting, I think most people will eventually just end up with 2 bars, one for Olympic lifting and one for power lifting. There unfortunately is not just one good bar for everything (ie. texas power bar also has a specific bar for deadlifting).
    This forum is a wealth of knowledge and if you go thru some of it, it will help get some more ideas which can be good and bad (it has made me always looking for the next upgrade =) )

Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have a Hampton bar rated to 1500 which is pretty solid. Good knurling on it. Bends less than a Texas power bar, the ones made by Mac barbell. Honestly more stability than my ironmind buffalo bar. Not sure how available they are in the eu but for the money it is the best bar available.

I do weight lift only sometimes and I try to avoid to drop the bar hard

Edit: I am like a "basic trainer", but I am more focused on power lifting. So I do clean & jerks and snatches only like for the change. I would like to have bar which is like good for everything. And it would be good for power lifting and it would be good for every different side moves, like over head press etc... My contemporary bar (which is good bar and cost around 500$) is bend, so I want invest for good bar, so I do not have to buy new bar every year. I hope you understood something
    Last edited by K6P6; 12-31-2013 at 04:37 AM.

ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReymanBE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What kind of weights do you use? (Bumpers,metal,rubber coated,...)

Any bar will bend if dropped with non-bumperplates, even the eleiko.

What brand/type bar is your currently bar? Quality bars won't bend easily, so my guess is you dropped it too hard or it isn't such good quality as you think.

If you're not tied down with a budget, just invest in a good powerlifting bar (texas power,...) and a weightlifting bar. You have to take too many things into account for one bar (knurling, whip of the bar, spin,...) to accomodate all types of lifting.

HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HowardCSCS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ReymanBE View Post
    What kind of weights do you use? (Bumpers,metal,rubber coated,...)

Any bar will bend if dropped with non-bumperplates, even the eleiko.

What brand/type bar is your currently bar? Quality bars won't bend easily, so my guess is you dropped it too hard or it isn't such good quality as you think.

If you're not tied down with a budget, just invest in a good powerlifting bar (texas power,...) and a weightlifting bar. You have to take too many things into account for one bar (knurling, whip of the bar, spin,...) to accomodate all types of lifting.
    This. Really depends on your finances. You could throw down on an eleiko, or for near the same price, get a TPB and a a decent WL bar like a pendlay.

Have anyone tried Eleiko sport bar? What kind of bar is it? More for power lifting or weight lifting? What kind of grip it have? Is it PL or WL grip or something else? I have read that it has different bearings than WL or PL bar. Would it be good choice?

kplee is just really nice. (+1000) kplee is just really nice. (+1000) kplee is just really nice. (+1000) kplee is just really nice. (+1000) kplee is just really nice. (+1000) kplee is just really nice. (+1000) kplee is just really nice. (+1000) kplee is just really nice. (+1000) kplee is just really nice. (+1000) kplee is just really nice. (+1000) kplee is just really nice. (+1000)
    Eleiko is definitely designed for weightlifting (Olympic style lifting).

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by kplee View Post
    Eleiko is definitely designed for weightlifting (Olympic style lifting).
    Eleiko makes both, but that does not take away from the fact that the OP needs to do their homework on the different kinds of bars available and the types of lifting that they will be doing before dropping an equivalent of a mortgage payment on a bar that may not be best suited for their purposes.

http://www.eleikoshop.com/BARS_c_1.html
    Last edited by deadwoodgregg; 12-31-2013 at 07:53 AM.
    []---[] Equipment crew member #51 []---[]

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Have anyone tried Eleiko sport bar? What kind of bar is it? More for power lifting or weight lifting? What kind of grip it have? Is it PL or WL grip or something else? I have read that it has different bearings than WL or PL bar. Would it be good choice?
    I believe it was designed to complete in the crossfit market.

A TPB will be too aggressive for Olympic weightlifting and they don't spin very well. For powerlifting it is fantastic. Pendlay is a great oly lifting choice and certainly nicer than anything by Rogue but has a really soft knurl. Also the sleeves are a "ribbed" texture which can be damaged easily (I ruined my first Pendlay using iron plates).

The York 32004 is the best bar I've used that does everything well. It is 29mm so it is a bit stiffer and thicker than weightlifting bars, but it spins well and works well for Olympic lifts. The knurl is aggressive enough for powerlifting but easy enough on the hands for oly lifts. The only downside to this bar is it's satin chrome finish. Some prefer to avoid chrome as a finish (self included). That said, I've found most people can't tell the difference between zinc plating and satin chrome plating when the two are in front of them. (I've tested this several times)

The York B&R bar is basically a bare steel clone of the 32004. If you are only buying one bar, I'd try to find one of these.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()