AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

What Stretches For Lower Squat? REPS

Hey guys I havn't made a thread in a very long time but I cannot seem to find a concrete answer anywhere on this site or online and I am incredibly frustrated by my lack of progress with my squat depth. I have been trying my best to keep up with Kelly Starrett and his MobilityWOD along with countless other Fitness Gurus on youtube about stretches for squats but they seem to be just tips instead of actual routines.

My question is this: How should I be stretching to gain a deeper squat depth? What stretches should I be doing? I guess what I am looking for is a stretching routine. I understand that the most effective time is right after a workout session but I have no idea which one of the million stretches I should utilize.

Also, can someone explain how to do PNF stretching alone? I find some conflicting information online. Stretch for 5 seconds then relax for 5-10 then immediately take advantage of that added ROM for 15 seconds. Then what? I understand these are the best for passive/active mobility but I have no idea how to do them properly.

How do you guys warm up for squats? I can't even hit parallel without warming up yet people I know can just hit ATG on the spot. I'm trying my best to improve. I can't even hit parallel on a bodyweight squat without warming up.

Many thanks to anyone who chimes in.

EDIT: Additional info: I am tight everywhere, lol. feelsbad.jpeg
    Fates colliding. Love Undying.
    I rep all 5'5 and shorter on sight.

@ 150lbs BW
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 315
    Deadlift: 425
    OHP:165

simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hip stretch:

Sit down on a table of chair so that you knees are at a 90 degree angle, place one foot over the opposite knee and lean forward, you should feel an intense stretch in your glute/hip area.

work on slowly getting your chest to your lower leg and being able to touch the ground with your hand.

piriformis myofascial release:

assume the quadruped position (on hands and knees) and stick one knee out to the side like a dog going for a wiz, if you feel a sharp pain in the glute/hip, you may need to massage your piriformis.

to do this, get a soft ball and roll around on the affected area until you feel the muscle being massaged (achey pain), if you feel a sharp pain you need to stop and reposition.

for the myofascial release, don't use anything too hard otherwise you could damage yourself. I caught my sciatic nerve using a golf ball once, was very painful to walk for a week.

hamstring stretch for 'upper' area of hamstring:

assume the proposal position (one one knee). move the rear foot further backward so that the front knee angle opens up, this will cause a stretch in the upper hamstring. don't stretch too much too fast otherwise you could pull a muscle. to effectively stretch this muscle as you move the rear foot further backward, lean forward.

if you feel an ache in the top of your thigh during this stretch and lack of hamstring activity, it may be because of tight hip flexors, in which case, re assume the proposal position, but this time, push your hips forward and lean back, this will stretch out your hip flexor and QL.

hold this stretch for 10 seconds on each leg, repeating until you can't feel the stretch anymore.

any confusion don't hesitate to ask!

AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlacrityH is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by simonwitney View Post
    Hip stretch:

Sit down on a table of chair so that you knees are at a 90 degree angle, place one foot over the opposite knee and lean forward, you should feel an intense stretch in your glute/hip area.

work on slowly getting your chest to your lower leg and being able to touch the ground with your hand.

piriformis myofascial release:

assume the quadruped position (on hands and knees) and stick one knee out to the side like a dog going for a wiz, if you feel a sharp pain in the glute/hip, you may need to massage your piriformis.

to do this, get a soft ball and roll around on the affected area until you feel the muscle being massaged (achey pain), if you feel a sharp pain you need to stop and reposition.

for the myofascial release, don't use anything too hard otherwise you could damage yourself. I caught my sciatic nerve using a golf ball once, was very painful to walk for a week.

hamstring stretch for 'upper' area of hamstring:

assume the proposal position (one one knee). move the rear foot further backward so that the front knee angle opens up, this will cause a stretch in the upper hamstring. don't stretch too much too fast otherwise you could pull a muscle. to effectively stretch this muscle as you move the rear foot further backward, lean forward.

if you feel an ache in the top of your thigh during this stretch and lack of hamstring activity, it may be because of tight hip flexors, in which case, re assume the proposal position, but this time, push your hips forward and lean back, this will stretch out your hip flexor and QL.

hold this stretch for 10 seconds on each leg, repeating until you can't feel the stretch anymore.

any confusion don't hesitate to ask!
    These sound great. Two question though. They are static stretches. Should I be incorporating a PNF or a passive stretch as well? How long do I hold the first two stretches for? But I will incorporate these in my post workout stretch routine.

Also, don't I need something for the external rotation of the hips?

Repped.

@ 150lbs BW

mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What I recently discovered for stretching was on the leg press sled. I put a few plates on, not much and lowered the sled as far as I could while keeping my back on the pad. Felt an incredible stretch in my legs and groin. I've been doing it for a few weeks now and I can squat deeper now.
    Look under your chair. YOU GET A REP, AND YOU GET A REP, REPS FOR EVERYONE! If I get a rep, you get a rep, every time. Give me a link to make my life a little easier.

If you don't give me a link and you didn't post in the thread you rep'd me in, I'm not gonna go searching for you. I'll get everyone on recharge.

Originally Posted by mobikwa View Post
    What I recently discovered for stretching was on the leg press sled. I put a few plates on, not much and lowered the sled as far as I could while keeping my back on the pad. Felt an incredible stretch in my legs and groin. I've been doing it for a few weeks now and I can squat deeper now.
    This actually sounds great for someone like me who can't get that deep without tension. Ill definitely do this after my squat session today. Thanks so much!

@ 150lbs BW

simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10) simonwitney is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AlacrityH View Post
    These sound great. Two question though. They are static stretches. Should I be incorporating a PNF or a passive stretch as well? How long do I hold the first two stretches for? But I will incorporate these in my post workout stretch routine.

Repped.
    IMO, static stretches are imperative toward flexibility, there is much conflicting evidence about how static stretching can cause injury, but hey, ANYTHING can cause injury If implemented incorrectly.

static stretching and PNF stretching both definitely have their place, and I would recommend both. If I could, I would do more PNF stretching than self static stretching.

One stretch I used to do for kickboxing was:

with a partner facing you, place your leg (either leg) on their shoulder, at whatever range of motion you are capable of doing where you can feel the stretch.

stretch for 30 seconds to one minute, then push down on their shoulder for ten seconds, and then relax. your partner will then push your leg further up to increase the stretch.....

THIS IS NOT FUN!

it CAN BE DANGEROUS if your partner does not listen to your instruction, you are the one who is being stretch so you give the advice, not them.

when he or she has held your leg in a more elevated position for 1 more minute, do the same as you did before, push down on the shoulder of said partner for 10 seconds, relax and allow your partner to raise your leg once more, hold that position for 30s-1 minute and then bring the leg down.

repeat with other leg.

this wasn't fun BUT, being one who is not naturally flexible, I was able to kick people in the head with ease within 2-4 weeks of PNF stretching, that's how goo the stretch was.

I did however pull my hamstring muscle several times so please be aware of your muscle tightness and stay focused throughout the stretch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

the above is what works best for me, you may not have all of the above issues, but I believe many may have the majority of them.

I stretch until I don't need to stretch anymore, quite simply I don't believe in holding a stretch for a limited amount of time, I stretch until I achieve a certain range of flexibility, and then I relax, wait a few minutes for the muscle to 'reset' in it's new position and then I carry on stretching.

The First Stretch

e.g. hip stretch, I would suggest to hold it for 10 seconds and then relax for 10 seconds, and then relax, and perform this routine 3 times on both legs, it should only take a matter of minutes. this is what has worked best for me.

Hamstring stretch

I stretch this one for as long as I need to, I found I got better results by holding the stretch for longer.

Muscle Spindle reaction to stretching

something I have found through experimentation is that when stretching a muscle such as the hamstring beyond it's capabilities, the safety mechanism of the muscle spindles becomes involved. the muscle spindle has the job of 'feeling' when a muscle is a about to be overstretched and to feed this information to the brain/spine. the brain/spine then sends a neuromuscular response BACK to the muscle spindle to contract said muscle to stop the stretch from continuing as a fear that the muscle may tear.

what happens here is a battle between stretching and contracting. the muscle will visibly violently shake as the stretch is carried out, until after several seconds the shaking stops and the stretch has been accomplished.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    even easier - grab a small DB and do a couple of sets of goblet squats. That's all you need to do.

mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mickydees is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    the gamechangers in my squat warmups are dynamic stretches for hams and glutes. pretty much just 2 sec hold/2 sec rest, bout 10 reps. i also try to open up the hips with sitting on my ankles so that knees are to the sides, nomsayin?

also, i recommend getting a foam roller and using it as often as possible, also as a part of your squat warmup
    Always pick 4

you are more likely to pull or strain a muscle if you perform weighted squats of any variation with already tight muscles.

regardless of a 'small' dumb bell, simply doing sets of goblet squats will not allow you to achieve a good deep stretch for increased flexibility.

remember, when stretching, you are looking to increase a muscles ROM, NOT put the muscle through a series of sets that would otherwise be known as progressive overload e.g. doing weight goblet squats.

OP, it is important to fully understand your own ROM and flexibility, somebody like me who needs a greater amount of stretching due to poor genetic flexibility is more like to give you a deeper routine than somebody who just needs to do some dynamic warm up sets for 10 minutes before they are good to go.

I understand you completely Simon. I remember kelly starrett explaining how you will not improve flexibility if the muscle is under load. I guess ill stick to static stretching after sessions and dynamic stretching before sessions because I just failed a 235 squat on the 4th rep after the 6 or so static stretching I did beforehand -__-

Honestly hate squatting at this point but ill have to persevere if I want changes.

@ 150lbs BW

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you are more likely to pull or strain a muscle if you perform weighted squats of any variation with already tight muscles.

regardless of a 'small' dumb bell, simply doing sets of goblet squats will not allow you to achieve a good deep stretch for increased flexibility.

remember, when stretching, you are looking to increase a muscles ROM, NOT put the muscle through a series of sets that would otherwise be known as progressive overload e.g. doing weight goblet squats.
    dude, a gobelt squat with a 20b DB is going to get that good deep stretch, it isnt progressive overload
    lmao, I guess if you are only 156 lbs than a 20 lb DB IS progressive overload.

SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SuperTune is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Was gonna suggest DeFranco's Agile 8 but when searching for it I discovered he had an updated list, the "Limber 11." I love the Agile 8, I'm sure this would be awesome too.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...y-routine.html
    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    ^Limber 11. Thread closed
    Experience, not just theory

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    here are a few of my favorites.

keep your glutes very relaxed while doing this one.
    VVVVVV

not sure why this guy is holding a kettle ball,but its the only pic I could find of the stretch

I didn't read the responses, I hold each one for 30 seconds and do each one twice. For me maintaining hamstring flexibility is the most difficult and the most painful muscle to stretch. Finding a hamstring stretch you don't hate and that is effective might be very difficult.

Eat clean. Train dirty. MedicalLifts4's Avatar
    MedicalLifts4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MedicalLifts4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MedicalLifts4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MedicalLifts4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MedicalLifts4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MedicalLifts4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MedicalLifts4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MedicalLifts4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MedicalLifts4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MedicalLifts4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MedicalLifts4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey guys I havn't made a thread in a very long time but I cannot seem to find a concrete answer anywhere on this site or online and I am incredibly frustrated by my lack of progress with my squat depth. I have been trying my best to keep up with Kelly Starrett and his MobilityWOD along with countless other Fitness Gurus on youtube about stretches for squats but they seem to be just tips instead of actual routines.

My question is this: How should I be stretching to gain a deeper squat depth? What stretches should I be doing? I guess what I am looking for is a stretching routine. I understand that the most effective time is right after a workout session but I have no idea which one of the million stretches I should utilize.

Also, can someone explain how to do PNF stretching alone? I find some conflicting information online. Stretch for 5 seconds then relax for 5-10 then immediately take advantage of that added ROM for 15 seconds. Then what? I understand these are the best for passive/active mobility but I have no idea how to do them properly.

How do you guys warm up for squats? I can't even hit parallel without warming up yet people I know can just hit ATG on the spot. I'm trying my best to improve. I can't even hit parallel on a bodyweight squat without warming up.

I just warm up with the bar, doing 1 set of 12 reps. I usually do these warm up reps with the slowest negatives possible, holding up 4 seconds at them bottom. Gives me a really good stretch for both my quads, glutes and hams. I know it doesn't seem like much of a stretch or warm up, but I'm really gifted on legs because before I never used to stretch and go heavy and I developed tree trunks for legs (dat dere gifted genetics).

Of course, I still do my usual other stretches, such as putting one leg on a flat bench while standing, and really holding the emphasis on the hammies for a minute, then alternating. I also just lie flat down on the floor, raise my knee up so that it's up to my chest (hands holding my shins) and hold for another minute, before alternating. I find this to really stretch my inner quads. Try doing these before your next leg session, OP. Some people I know, do 2 sets of leg extensions before squatting as their warm up or doing a fast walk on the treadmill.

As for PNF stretching, the other guy was pretty much spot on.

Hope all goes well, stay safe, brahs.
    ♦ Paramedic students Crew.
    ♦ Always squat ATG Crew.

"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what happens." - Arnold Schwarzenegger, the greatest bodybuilder of all time.

Update: Squat session today went badly. I was weak as hell and could not hit 235x5 when I've hit 275x3 a few weeks ago. I'm cutting as well which makes it hard for me to lose anymore strength as is.

Originally Posted by mobikwa View Post
    I incorporated this in at the end of the routine. I'm going to turn it into a PNF stretch with the contract/release technique for 5 reps. I'll finish it off with a static stretch for a minute or 2 at the bottom and see how it goes.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    even easier - grab a small DB and do a couple of sets of goblet squats. That's all you need to do.
    I did goblet squats after the leg press. I was COMPLETELY open. I hit ATG. I just don't know how to carry these over to my backsquat. I will use goblet squats as a dynamic warm up from now on before squatting and see if it helps.

Originally Posted by mickydees View Post
    the gamechangers in my squat warmups are dynamic stretches for hams and glutes. pretty much just 2 sec hold/2 sec rest, bout 10 reps. i also try to open up the hips with sitting on my ankles so that knees are to the sides, nomsayin?

also, i recommend getting a foam roller and using it as often as possible, also as a part of your squat warmup
    I tried the sitting on the ankles thing. Definitely felt a stretch and can see how it can help. I actually do foam roll 3x a week. I use a rumbler roller and I'm pretty knot free as I have been doing it avidly for the past 5 months.

IMO, static stretches are imperative toward flexibility, there is much conflicting evidence about how static stretching can cause injury, but hey, ANYTHING can cause injury If implemented incorrectly.

static stretching and PNF stretching both definitely have their place, and I would recommend both. If I could, I would do more PNF stretching than self static stretching.

The First Stretch

e.g. hip stretch, I would suggest to hold it for 10 seconds and then relax for 10 seconds, and then relax, and perform this routine 3 times on both legs, it should only take a matter of minutes. this is what has worked best for me.

Hamstring stretch

I stretch this one for as long as I need to, I found I got better results by holding the stretch for longer.

something I have found through experimentation is that when stretching a muscle such as the hamstring beyond it's capabilities, the safety mechanism of the muscle spindles becomes involved. the muscle spindle has the job of 'feeling' when a muscle is a about to be overstretched and to feed this information to the brain/spine. the brain/spine then sends a neuromuscular response BACK to the muscle spindle to contract said muscle to stop the stretch from continuing as a fear that the muscle may tear.

what happens here is a battle between stretching and contracting. the muscle will visibly violently shake as the stretch is carried out, until after several seconds the shaking stops and the stretch has been accomplished.
    Thank you for these. I incorporated them into my post workout stretching routine. I did the hip stretch today and I can definitely see the potential. Arm barely touched the ground smh.
    Originally Posted by oldballs View Post
    here are a few of my favorites.

keep your glutes very relaxed while doing this one.
    VVVVVV

not sure why this guy is holding a kettle ball,but its the only pic I could find of the stretch

I didn't read the responses, I hold each one for 30 seconds and do each one twice. For me maintaining hamstring flexibility is the most difficult and the most painful muscle to stretch. Finding a hamstring stretch you don't hate and that is effective might be very difficult.
    I'm thinking of joining yoga. These stretches above such as the pigeon and upward dog seem like they have great potential. Many thanks, I will incorporate them.

Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    ^Limber 11. Thread closed
    The Limber 11 isn't as specific as I'd like it to be. I want the great bang for your buck stretches at this point. Some of the stretches posted above are part of the limber 11 so I plan on using them accordingly.

@ 150lbs BW

Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assassindan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do PNF stretching using a band especially for hamstrings (one of my weaknesses) pre-squat. Lying on the back, raise leg until it can't move further without bending and hold for 10 sec, slowly lower leg while contracting hamstring on way down (don't relieve tension on band) and repeat 8-10 reps
    Check out My D1 Basketball Log in the Sports Journals

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just this one:

Do it every day (when you get up, or whenever you have the time), and hold the position each "rep". Do a bunch of "reps".

Originally Posted by MichaelCJ View Post
    Just this one:

Do it every day (when you get up, or whenever you have the time), and hold the position each "rep". Do a bunch of "reps".
    this.

Originally Posted by MichaelCJ View Post
    Just this one:

I can't go that low without support. Is that fine? I can barely break parallel on a bodyweight squat. Id need a wall to let me drop.

@ 150lbs BW

I can't go that low without support. Is that fine? I can barely break parallel on a bodyweight squat. Id need a wall to let me drop.
    in which case do the sitting hip flexor stretch more and stretch your upper hamstring, it won't happen over night (although the more you stretch the more likely it will happen haha) but eventually you will get it.

depending on where you are most unflexible will have a greater or lesser effect on how well you can move in and out of positions with good balance, figure out where you are most tight and stretch the muscles accordingly.

if you can't break parrellel, it could be:

tight upper hamstrings

when your upper hammies are tight (there is no such thing as upper hamstring btw but for the say of the hypothetical I shall use that specific term lol) this causes the muscle itself to become more tight and 'pull' inward more, effectively cause increased lumbar flexion (rounding of the lower back, if you imagine the hamstring constantly pulling when you are squatting down, the hips would be pulled inward) leading to a falling forward sort of motion.

in which case do the sitting hip flexor stretch more and stretch your upper hamstring, it won't happen over night (although the more you stretch the more likely it will happen haha) but eventually you will get it.

depending on where you are most unflexible will have a greater or lesser effect on how well you can move in and out of positions with good balance, figure out where you are most tight and stretch the muscles accordingly.

if you can't break parrellel, it could be:

tight upper hamstrings

when your upper hammies are tight (there is no such thing as upper hamstring btw but for the say of the hypothetical I shall use that specific term lol) this causes the muscle itself to become more tight and 'pull' inward more, effectively cause increased lumbar flexion (rounding of the lower back, if you imagine the hamstring constantly pulling when you are squatting down, the hips would be pulled inward) leading to a falling forward sort of motion.
    Thank you somuch. From previous attempts, I've discovered it's my hip flexors and hamstrings that are tightest. Looks like it's gonna be a hell of a journey.

@ 150lbs BW

no problem buddy, have fun!

PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

One stretch I used to do for kickboxing was:

with a partner facing you, place your leg (either leg) on their shoulder, at whatever range of motion you are capable of doing where you can feel the stretch.

stretch for 30 seconds to one minute, then push down on their shoulder for ten seconds, and then relax. your partner will then push your leg further up to increase the stretch.....

THIS IS NOT FUN!

it CAN BE DANGEROUS if your partner does not listen to your instruction, you are the one who is being stretch so you give the advice, not them.

when he or she has held your leg in a more elevated position for 1 more minute, do the same as you did before, push down on the shoulder of said partner for 10 seconds, relax and allow your partner to raise your leg once more, hold that position for 30s-1 minute and then bring the leg down.

repeat with other leg.

this wasn't fun BUT, being one who is not naturally flexible, I was able to kick people in the head with ease within 2-4 weeks of PNF stretching, that's how goo the stretch was.

I did however pull my hamstring muscle several times so please be aware of your muscle tightness and stay focused throughout the stretch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

the above is what works best for me, you may not have all of the above issues, but I believe many may have the majority of them.

I stretch until I don't need to stretch anymore, quite simply I don't believe in holding a stretch for a limited amount of time, I stretch until I achieve a certain range of flexibility, and then I relax, wait a few minutes for the muscle to 'reset' in it's new position and then I carry on stretching.

The First Stretch

Hamstring stretch

repped, great advice

PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PatricianIX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Repped, thanks for asking the same question I was going to ask.

carolpalmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try Yoga postures